Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which Would You Buy: Cooper, S, Or Clubman and Why?

spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
edited April 2014 in MINI
I am in the process of buying a Mini, but I am unsure of which one, Could you please help me by telling me which one you bought or are considering and why you chose it over the others or are you waiting for the Clubman. I know it is a personal decision, but I would appreciate the info.

Comments

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Well the Clubman is a lot bigger and it no longer has it's MINI proportions. It will haul a lot more stuff and people compared to a regular Mini.
    The main advantage I see is the Clubman will probably offer a spare tire or be able to have one, the regular Mini S cannot. I don't like the doors on the back of the Clubman as I prefer hatchbacks. Damn shame that the dealer is so far away from me.
    So to answer you question I would take the Mini Cooper S over the Clubman because if I want a bigger car there are cars with a lot more room for less money.
  • spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    I really thought I would get some response. Anyway thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I really thought I would get some response. Anyway thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you didn't consider my response to be a response? :mad: Anyway the Mini forums here are not very active also you only have it one day! There are other Mini forums and you can ask the question there. I'd tell you but you'd probably be ungrateful about that as well.
    Later!
  • spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    I really do appreciate your input. What I was saying was I thought I would get some more input, but like you said it has only been a day. I gues in the end I have to make the decision as to what fits me the best. I was only hoping to find out why owners bought what they bought and why they didn't choose the other option. Anyway thank you for your response!!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The Clubman definitely has lost some of the MINI cuteness. And I also prefer a hatch to the van doors. I would say get the Clubman if you have to have a MINI, and absolutely need the extra room. I would almost look at the Clubman as an entry-level BMW 3-series wagon.
  • weldonblairweldonblair Member Posts: 6
    We are leaning toward a Mini this year. That being said, we cannot not make up our minds about the S and Non-S, the convertible, and the Clubman.

I am really looking forward to the clubman test drive for 2 reasons:
    1) determine if the size of the clubman reigns in some of the torque steer and improves the handling of the S like they said early on in reviews
    2) if there is indeed more rear seat space.

Dealer is saying mid-February for first shipment.
  • miniclubmanminiclubman Member Posts: 8
    I just ordered a Clubman today, after a very enjoyable test drive. The Clubman only adds about a foot to the Cooper's length, but the extra room makes the rear seat a little more livable, and the cargo area is also pretty decent (for a MINI). I needed enough room to carry a road bicycle inside with the rear seats folded down, and the Clubman just makes it (I measured about 56" from the back of the driver's seat to the inside sill of the rear doors, but that all depends upon where the driver's seat is positioned. It was positioned for me, and I'm about 5'10" tall.

The Clubman test drive sealed the deal for me. A firm, tight ride, a great 6-speed transmission, and great handling. The "S" is probably better in all respects, but my budget dictated the base Clubman, which had plenty of pep, and will probably keep me out of trouble in the long run.,
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    With my back issues, I'm trying to stay away from cars that are too low to the ground. But these guys have such personality! I love the dashboards - so different from the usual black and grey. I'd love to test drive one for the heck of it, especially the Clubman.

So, my question to any older/larger MINI owners, how do you find them as far as getting into and out of them, and overall comfort for either short or long drives?

Thanks in advance.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    ok, I am neither old, nor large, but I will say this. I own a Clubman S with the sport package. And I test drove a Clubman S non sport. I would recommend the non sport Clubman to someone who wants a decent ride. The Clubman really smooths out the bumps compared to the Cooper coupe. And as long as you stay away from the 16 inch RFTs with the optional sport suspension, you should get along fine.

Good luck. One test drive and you'll be hooked.
    -Tony
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    We own an 05 Mini Convertible...wonderful car, and no problems other than a leaking water temp. sensor, replaced at no charge and no problem by the dealer. I would add that the tire pressure monitoring system is a bit sensitive, IMO, but this seems to be an isue in several products besides BMW made.

As far as entry/exit, we are both in our 50's, and I have back issues as well. If you like driving/riding with the seat moved forward, it can be uncomfortable. However, if you are like me, and like the seat pushed rearward, it is absolutely no problem getting in or out of the vehicle. Its the primary reason that my wife selected the Mini over the Z4 Roadster, which is much lower and harder to enter/exit.

Hope this info helps...
    That's what I'm afraid of! The little guys are so impractical, I'm afraid I'll take it home in spite of myself!

Thanks for the kind information.
    Oh, it does, thank you!
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    What interests you about the MINI in the first place and what's yer budget? Since many don't view MINIs as "practical" in the first place go with what you love most about the driving experience and what's in your budget.

My assumptions about what people buy and why go something like this:

Cooper: love the MINI experience, but on a budget. Entry level to the fun of MINI (me! with a few bells and whistles)

Cooper S: same for above, but interested in horsepower and zip in general. In budget to pay for a little more for the power--and probably more for options.

Convertible Cooper: again, more interested in MINI than HP.

Convertible S: Wants the convertible fun and HP!

Clubman: loves the MINI but simply hasn't indulged before because of lack of space. MINI is trying to keep along with the ethstetic, but wants to reach out to a larger group of buyers who think the size is impractical. If you need the room, but want the experience I would say this is a good option (though I have not driven one personally yet).

Again, since the MINI isn't viewed as the most "practical" car more as it is a "motoring experience" so it comes down to the brass tacks of what you can live with once you get it (if you plan on towing around a lot more people in the next 2 years--are you moving away from the dealer any time soon? how far will you have to go for service?)--and how comfortable an experience driving each one is for you.

And, what's in your budget.

I would say go to the MINI site, build up your dream MINI with EVERYTHING you want, then pare down from there to what's in your budget.

I
  • daedalus34rdaedalus34r Member Posts: 91
    I like the backseat of the clubman, very useable for a pair of friends on a short-medium trip. Im 5-11 and i can pretty much sit behind myself fairly comfortably. Its cozy and will only seat two. Fold the seats down and you can cary a whole lot of cargo with a nice flat loading surface.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Fold the seats down and you can carry a whole lot of cargo with a nice flat loading surface

Anyone know the cargo volume with the seats down? The Edmunds test stated 32.8 cubic feet, but didn't specify seats up or down.
    HA! The 33 cubes are with the seats down.........its bigger, but its not THAT big.;)
  • fierketfierket Member Posts: 6
    Ordering my 08 "S" in the next couple of weeks. Looked at the Clubman, but for the extra $$$ I dont see the gain to go with the Clubman. I'm 6'4" and fit very well in both the Mini and the Clubman, but looking at the added space in the Clubman, it doesnt give much more space for the rear seat passengers. The added space appears to be in the cargo area. Another thing that really bugged me was the center post that obstructed the rear view mirror from the double rear doors. Just can't wait to get the new ride!
    Looked at the Clubman, but for the extra $$$ I dont see the gain to go with the Clubman.

Fair enough for you, but for those of us with little kids the Cooper is just not an option. The Clubmans back seat gains 3 inches of leg room and the Clubdoor allows easy access for my boys. Not to mention the growth of 9 cubes (vs Cooper coupe) in the storage area when the kids are not in the back. And for those considering the Clubman, the center post in rear takes about 10 minutes of driving to get used to......it has never bothered me......

Enjoy your new S, you will love the twin scroll turbocharger, its a hoot!:)
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    The main objective of the mini cooper is for it to be fun to drive. Every other purpose is a distant second. Therefor, I would highly recommend that you get the Mini Cooper S. The added weight of the clubman will slow the car down and defeats the meaning of "mini". The base mini is fun as well, but the S is a huge improvement over the base and is well worth the premium (not to mention it will hold its value really well). If you live in the city, the 6 speed auto is a fantastic unit however the 6 speed manual is a blast to drive.
    I live in the city and bought a Mini Cooper S 6 speed manual and love driving the car around. I always have a smile on my face when I get out of the car.
    I also bought another car for practical purposes. I bought the 2009 subaru forester. So now I have a work horse and a race horse ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    From all reports and reviews, the added size and weight of the Clubman do not impact on the performance of the Mini.
  • ltqltq Member Posts: 28
    The steps outlined by zgrrl is clear,and pharmd718 hit it on the button. If you read very carefully between the lines of all the journalist reviews, the non-turbo Clubman is just at the edge of being less fun than the hatch. I have to agree. I just bought a S Clubman auto because there is a HUGE difference in power (and a fair bit in handling, too) for this big Mini. Especially with the auto trans. No brainer, but it costs significant more $$.
    The 6-speed Aisin auto is quirky in stop-n-go traffic - ironically, the best way to deal with heavy traffic to shift the lever over to the DS/manual mode and shift it yourself!! Hmmmm..... this is confusing-sounding, and seems like one should get the manual even for heavy traffic........ yes and no. It depends on how much left-foot work you want to do.
This discussion has been closed.