Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Did you drive the new Lexus LX570 yet? Our dealer does not have them in yet (east coast). Instead we looked at the LC and saw that it's size was significantly smaller than the Sequoia. That killed it for us.

I'm also shocked that you would say that the LX and LC 3rd rows are anywhere near the level of the Sequoia. We felt that they were very tight and the design factor was very disappointing. We could not believe that the redesign included the same old school fold the 3rd row up against the rear quarter windows. It was easier to accomplish than the previous generation, but not nearly as impressive/easy to use as the Sequoia design.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    No, I have not driven or even seen the new Lexus LX570 and I stand corrected on my claims of the third row seating. I had read that the new Lexus would have all this and even thought I'd seen a demo video of them folding flat just like the new Sequoia but obviously I was wrong.
    We did look at the Land Cruiser and liked it except for the same old third row seat.
    The new Sequoia, beyond any shadow of a doubt, has the most room inside and the BEST third row seat available!
    Beyond the somewhat quirky dash, the Sequoia is absolutely the best overall choice to transport a large group and mechanically it is the most advanced and reliable. As far as luxury, if equipped in the Platinum fully loaded, it is right up there with the best given the dash looks more like a truck than a luxury vehicle.
    Again, sorry but I was wrong about the Lexus but it just justifies my choice of the Sequoia over all the others even that much more.
    No prob on the confusion....all of these makes/models do tend to run together at some point. Even what models have what features gets confusing. It makes me think of when the wife and I were shopping for homes/builders, we started taking the camcorder to record the various models so we could remember what builder did what. Maybe we need to start doing this with car shopping!!

Vern:
    It is interesting...we are leaning more towards the QX b/c of the interior and luxury toys. Our perspective is that we're willing to forgo the tad nicer powertrain/interior room/flexibility to get more of the toys that will make the day to day experience much more enjoyable. Different strokes for different folks!

Good luck w/your decision...
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "The reason why the other players stopped making pushrod engines and spent billions on new engines (including Ford) is because they are outdated, heavy, noisy and less efficient."

While I'm not necessarily an advocate for pushrod engines I do think its important that they at least be characterized accurately. Pushrod engines may be outdated however they are typically lighter and quieter than an OHV engine of similar power. OHV engines are more efficient because they can "breathe" more efficiently due to greater valve inlet/outlet area however they also have many more moving parts that typically weigh more and make more noise than a pushrod engine of similar power.
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    Good points keg. Let me know when you pull that trigger. I love my tundra but if I didn't have it to enjoy that powertrain I might have choosen the Seq over the Q. Best of both worlds. Haul lumber and a** in the tundra and chill out in the luxury of the Q. Not that the Q won't get up and go either. Torque numbers are very close. Really can't go wrong either way. The new mdx was even a great vehicle just a little small for the family. All great choices for all tastes.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I call them as I see them.

The hard drive nav unit, memory card slot, keyless "go" and HID lights are not something that Toyota owners want. You keep comparing it to the luxury brands when it's not a luxury vehicle. It's still a truck with three rows of seats.
    :shades:
    Maybe you need to take off your rose colored Toyota sales glasses :shades:

I can't believe that you would really say that "Toyota owners don't want luxury features". Guess that is why the Camry, Highlander, & LC have the keyless start feature, right? Two of those vehicles have a sticker price half that of the Sequoia. But "Toyota owners don't want those 'luxury' features", right?

I (and many others here) compare multiple vehicles of various makes (both "luxury" and "non-luxury") to their similarly priced peers. Nothing more....nothing less.

I WILL agree w/you that:
    1. Toyota is not a luxury make
    2. Sequoia is a "truck w/3 rows". The dash makes that abundantly clear since it looks just like the 25K Tundra.

That is why many luxury SUV buyers will look at the Sequoia and laugh at it's 62K MSRP. Drop it 10-15K and it looks totally different against it's peers.

Time will tell though. I do know that three of the dealers that I drive by on a semi-regular basis still have the same Platinum and loaded Limiteds on their lots that they had 3 weeks ago. I guess that the marketplace is not jumping all over these "non-luxury" but luxury priced 3-row trucks.
    "The hard drive nav unit, memory card slot, keyless "go" and HID lights are not something that Toyota owners want. You keep comparing it to the luxury brands when it's not a luxury vehicle. It's still a truck with three rows of seats. "

I'm not sure I get the logic of suggesting that somehow comparing a Sequoia to a "luxury" SUV is verbotten. I for one am selling a Denali XL (is this a luxury SUV?) and buying a Platinum Sequoia. I traded out of a BMW 745il to get the Denali XL. When shopping for a replacement for the Denali XL, I drove and considered the following vehicles: Escalade ESV, QX56, Denali XL, LX570, Navigator EL and the 08 Sequoia. Before the new model, I would not have placed the Sequoia on my shopping list as it didn't have the tow rating, hp, performance or interior space I wanted.

After comparing all of these vehicles, the Sequoia was a clear choice for my needs. I would have liked a more luxurious interior however the Platinum Red Rock isn't really that shabby if you ask me. If fake or real wood makes it a more luxurious interior, it can be added later. Adding a fold flat rear and 2nd row seat isn't something that can be added, if it didn't come from the factory. Getting more interior space is not something I could add to the QX. Adding HIDs to the Sequoia is a possibility in the future if I'm not satisfied with the lighting.

For my tastes, the Platinum Sequoia qualifies as a luxury SUV even if Edmund's doesn't rate it that way.
    Those are not "luxury" features. The Toyota Prius has the smart key feature standard. The Nissan Sentra, a compact entry level sedan has that feature also. So I don't consider it a luxury feature.
    So let them laugh at the the MSRP which it's not 62k but more like 58k on a loaded Platinum.
    Like I said before, it depends what region of the country you are in as in my region we are having to problem selling these pups.
    link title

• shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Gvasudevan, also Ford may have spent a bundle of money developing their "new" line of engines, but the GM pushrod engines are superior, at least for light truck use...just read any comparsion. Sadly, the Ford engines lack the low end torque that the new GM pushrod engines have. There's a lot to like about the new Expedition and Navigator, but the engines are a weak point comparing them to competitive GM products, especially if you plan to do any heavy towing with your full size SUV. Also, it's quite possible that GM spend more $ developing the new generation pushrod engines versus what Ford spent on theirs.
    If what ultimately matters is how the vehicle drives, I think the QX wins. We drove them back to back. While the Sequoia (5.7L) clearly has more full throttle power, that's generally not how people drive full size SUV's. In normal driving the trucks have similar levels of power. I thought both trucks handled remarkably well for their size (my wife made the same comment, she was shocked how well they both handled given that they are so big and heavy), but I thought the QX clearly was the better handling of the two in normal to moderate driving. It also had a noticeably more comfortable ride on bumpy roads. The QX interior (including dashboard) is FAR more luxurious. But I'm somewhat scared of the QX's repair history, and looking under both trucks, it's clear the Sequoia chassis is beefier, and I'm very concerned that the QX's rear axle will really stand up to towing heavy loads irrespective of the tow rating Nissan has on the truck. I'm going to be towing a heavy boat, and it seems fairly clear that the Sequoia is the better truck for that job.
  • dvsuttondvsutton Member Posts: 48
    Just what the world needs, Another Gas Hog Toyota belching carbon into the atmosphere. Being a past Toyota owner that had to suffer through its sludge fiasco. I'll pass on anything with a Toyota nameplate. I recommend the GM Yukon and Tahoe Hybrids to all of my freinds thinking of something that size. Better quality. No stories.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    Maybe the GM is a good idea. I would rather have a Toyota Diesel, but since I cannot buy that, I could see looking at the GM but only to lease and not buy and I don't want to go to sell one and have the buyers laugh at me because the $8000 battery pack is spent.
    Another gas hog Toyota? C'mon, have you forgotten who makes the Prius and for how many years they have been doing so? Toyota has been and is the world leader in hybrid technology, hands down. The GM full size hybrids are a great idea, and kudos for GM for getting something like that to market before the competition, but would you really take the risk of buying one in their first year, especially given that we are talking GM? This may be politically incorrect, but I'd rather spend burn a few more gallons of fuel each year than take that kind of risk. And so far as trying to knock Toyota's quality, they aren't perfect, but they are still miles ahead of GM...just look at Consumer Reports and JD Power...and don't look just at initial quality, look at the number of problems over the long term, very few of us own a vehicle for just a few months. GM has made great strides in quality, but they still aren't in Toyota's league. Look at the data, really did deeply into the data, there's just no question.
    Mack....you need to make up your mind. In a previous post you clearly called the keyless start a "luxury feature" and that Toyota buyers did not want "those" featuers. Now you're saying that it is not.

Second...I'm in your region- SE VA. How many Platinums has your dealership sold? How many do you still have? When did they arrive?

Third (taken from one of your competitor's websites)-
    Body: 4X4 Platinum Color: Artic Frost PEA Interior: Sand Beige Leather Stock #: 003069

Factory Invoice: $55,451
    MSRP: $62,019

Additional Rebates and Incentives May Apply
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    GM is the gas hog of the planet with a fleet mpg average much lower than Toyota/Scion/Lexus. Toyota is the world leader in hybrids and GM has yet to sell many hybrids.
    I would like to see an EPA test on a hybrid at 1000 miles and again at 60000 miles. I bet the battery being nearly toast will make it perform more like a non-hybrid. Also, any hybrid should be a diesel-electric. A gasoline generator cannot compare to a diesel generator.
    "Third (taken from one of your competitor's websites)-
    Body: 4X4 Platinum Color: Artic Frost PEA Interior: Sand Beige Leather Stock #: 003069

Factory Invoice: $55,451
    MSRP: $62,019

Additional Rebates and Incentives May Apply"

How on earth does a dealer get an MSRP of $62,019 on a Platinum Sequoia. Talk about rip-offs. The highest MSRP from Toyota with every available option on a 4wd Platinum Sequoia from the factory is under $59,000. What after market parts are they piling on this Sequoia to get its MSRP up to $62K? Can't wait to hear about the lucky guy that get's suckered into that deal.

I sure hope their offerring "additional rebates and incentives..."
    In some zones they have a $2800 wheel option, but it appears to be aftermarket. Probably things like that.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "GM is the gas hog of the planet with a fleet mpg average much lower than Toyota/Scion/Lexus. Toyota is the world leader in hybrids and GM has yet to sell many hybrids."

Oh please. I own a Toyota 4Runner and I think Toyota builds great cars. But the reality is that Toyota SUVs get just as bad mileage GM SUVs. I'm getting 16-18 mpg combined in my 2003 4Runner.

The base 4x4 Sequoia is rated 13/16 or 13/18 depending upon engine choice. The base 4x4 Tahoe is rated 14/19. The base 4x4 Suburban is rated 14/19 or 12/17 depending upon engine choice. There is little difference in mileage between Sequoia and Tahoe/Suburban.

GM and Toyota are both full-line manufacturers. They build smaller, fuel efficient vehicles and larger, inefficient vehicles. One company isn't "good" and the other isn't "evil". They are both building vehicles that people want to buy. Toyota definitely got the jump on GM (and the entire rest of the industry) with the Prius. GM (and the rest of the industry) is working hard trying to catch up. And we'll have the benefit of the the new, more efficient cars and trucks that Toyota and GM (and the rest of the industry) bring to market.
    " I recommend the GM Yukon and Tahoe Hybrids to all of my freinds thinking of something that size. Better quality. No stories."

I noticed you're recommending these to your friends vs making a purchase yourself. Nice guy, not sure how good a friend you are spending someone else's money on a risky new product like the Yukon Hybrid. And I'm a longstanding GM fan that after 4 Suburbans has decided to buy a new Sequoia.

The Yukon/Tahoe hybrid is a sucker product to be bought by naive souls thinking they're going to make a difference on preventing NYC from being flooded from the rising waters caused by all the non-hybrid vehicles that are melting the planet's glaciers. Give me a break!

Let's see...a 4wd Yukon Hybrid goes for $52+K. Gives up 2200lbs in towing capacity. And gets 20mpg city and highway versus a non -hybrid 4wd tahoe that gets 14/19 and costs upto $14K less than the Hybrid 4wd. You have got to be kidding me.

For the same $52+K you could have bought a AWD Mercedes GL320 CDI that seats 7, has a tow rating 1500lbs higher than the Tahoe Hybrid and gets 18/24 mpg and most importantly will have twice the resale value 5 years later with the same mileage. I think dvsutton should buy the Tahoe Hybrid and then tell his friends how he lost HIS shirt, instead of their's when he goes to trade it in or sell to the next guy that wants him to cover the replacement of the hybrid batteries.

BTW, how do you think those batteries will hold up in a vehicle loading and unloading a boat into salt water?

But think of the upside...your neighbors will really know that you're concerned about the environment when you drive around the neighborhood with that outstanding 6ft "H Y B R I D" sticker down the side of your new Yukon Hybrid. Whooooopeeeeee!
    http://www.gmc.com/yukonhybrid/index.jsp
    The GL320 is $71,000, not $52,000 -- unless you want it without a trailer hitch, leather, power seats, DVD/NAV, etc. Nice truck and I wanted one but they are illegal in my state.
  • aholley1aholley1 Member Posts: 4
    "So let them laugh at the the MSRP which it's not 62k but more like 58k on a loaded Platinum."

4x4 slate 5.7 MSRP $55,600
    Cold Kit=100
    Laser Cruise=600
    DRL =600
    Delivery =765
    Sub total =$57,105

Remote Start =529
    Window Tint =179
    DVD =1,995
    Option Pkg D =1,520
    Door Sill Enhan =225
    Skid Plate =425
    Shield Pkg. =349

Total MSRP =$62,327.00
    I left off a few things so it wouldn't get to expensive!
    I gave them a little bit extra just because it's such a great vehicle. (Kinda like a tip)
    They threw in the kitchen sink right behind the 3rd row seat! ;)
    I was just comparing base price to base price of the 4wd Yukon Hybrid and the AWD MB GL320 CDI. Of course you can add extras to both vehicles and get a higher MSRP.

The Yukon Hybrid starts at just under $53K and goes up to just over $56K. The MB GL320 CDI starts at just over $53K and goes up to $77K. For under $54K MSRP you could have a high quality, highly efficient, tow vehicle with plenty of interior space and far greater resale value than a Yukon Hybrid.

No doubt it'll be easier to find a $53K Yukon Hybrid before you'll find a $53K GL320 on the lot, however if you're ordering the vehicle, you can order whatever you want and a stripped GL320 with a tow hitch is certainly a consideration if space, resale value, tow capacity and fuel efficiency are your highest priorities in an suv. And IMO a far better investment from both an environmental perspective as well as your bank account.

BTW has anyone read what the manufacturers will be doing with all these batteries when their hybrid vehicle has reached the end of its useful operating life. Do the batteries in these hybrids just end up leaking all over some junk yard or do they end up in a landfill?
    "4x4 slate 5.7 MSRP $55,600
    Cold Kit=100
    Laser Cruise=600
    DRL =600
    Delivery =765
    Sub total =$57,105

Remote Start =529
    Window Tint =179
    DVD =1,995
    Option Pkg D =1,520
    Door Sill Enhan =225
    Skid Plate =425
    Shield Pkg. =349

Total MSRP =$62,327.00"

That's quite a mark-up on the DRLs ($600) since the Toyota MSRP is only $40. I assume the remote start is aftermarket since its not an option available from Toyota. Do folks really get additional window tinting? The windows are already heavily tinted from the factory and darker tinting on the driver and fr passenger window is illegal in NJ.

Quite a nice mark-up on the DVD - $1995 (I assume you mean rear entertainment) since the Toyota MSRP on this option is only $1670.

Do I dare ask what your dealership puts in their "Option Package D" for $1520? And are there really people out there throwing their money away on a "Shield Package"?

Its no wonder folks feel ripped off and negative about car dealerships when they see dealer bloated vehicles like these.
    That's quite a mark-up on the DRLs ($600) since the Toyota MSRP is only $40.

My mistake (typeo) DRLs =$40.

Quite a nice mark-up on the DVD - $1995 (I assume you mean rear
    entertainment) since the Toyota MSRP on this option is only $1670.

Single roof mount is $1670.
    Dual in headrest is $1995. (Two DVD players. Seperate remotes, seperate wireless headphones .... no fighting .....)

Do I dare ask what your dealership puts in their "Option Package D" for $1520? And are there really people out there throwing their money away on a "Shield Package"?

The Extra Mile Option Package D $1,520
    Molded Dash Applique
    Glass Break Sensor
    Body Side Molding
    Ball Mount
    Carpet Mat Set
    Carpeted Foor Mats, Including 3rd Row Carpet Mat and Cargo Mat
    Color Keyed Door Edge Guards
    Fabric Guard (on leather) :confuse:
    First Aid Kit
    Custom Tape Stripe
    No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    Roadside assistance (3yrs/36,000 miles)
    The Extra Mile Service Rewards Program (5years/60,000 miles)
    "The Extra Mile Option Package D $1,520
    Molded Dash Applique
    Glass Break Sensor
    Body Side Molding
    Ball Mount
    Carpet Mat Set
    Carpeted Foor Mats, Including 3rd Row Carpet Mat and Cargo Mat
    Color Keyed Door Edge Guards
    Fabric Guard (on leather)
    First Aid Kit
    Custom Tape Stripe
    No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    Roadside assistance (3yrs/36,000 miles)
    The Extra Mile Service Rewards Program (5years/60,000 miles)"

Wow!!!! Any chance I could get a vinyl landau roof, special chrome hubcaps and a giant Firebird emblem for the hood to go with your "Extra Mile Option Package D". You could call it the "Extra 2 Mile Option Package E". Maybe even throw in one of those pine scented air fresheners to hang from the mirror. I bet with this new Package E you could get a '08 Platinum Sequoia's MSRP up to $70K and then we could legitimately call it a "Luxury SUV". Now we're talkin' a fully loaded Platinum Sequoia!!!!
    They should call it the Clark Grizzwald extra rally fun pack instead. What a total rip for $1520. Still can't believe they try to cover up the cheesy dash with a $250 applique kit. Does it come from a JC Whitney catalog. Love Toyota but they blew it on this one.
    You could call it the "Extra 2 Mile Option Package E".

I hate to burst your bubble but there is already an Option Package E. MSRP $2323.00
    "I hate to burst your bubble but there is already an Option Package E. MSRP $2323.00"

What was I thinking......I should've known....

Remind me again how that supposed quote from P.T. Barnum goes......?

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
    Looks like you are in the dreaded Southeast Toyota distributors region or Gulf States. These two are privately owned and Toyota Motor sales USA basically sells their vehicles to them and they do whatever they want to them. Enkei alloy wheels, Toyoguard, paint schemes, Extra mile packages (worthless) etc, etc, that's how you get the bloated MSRPs. I put a link on there so you would confiure a Platinum Sequoia from Toyota not the privately owned distributors. It comes out to less the 59k unless you want to add the "fluffl".
    Mack
    Thanks for the laugh...I just had a vision of Clark W. Griswold driving his wood paneled wagon which led to a vision of Christie Brinkley jumping into the pool. Thanks for the smiles! :)
    The listing I posted was from a Mid-Atlantic dealer. Is some of the extra 2-3K "fluff"? Sure...probably, but it is still a 62K sticker for a Sequoia Platinum.
    Tell me which post I said the smart key was a luxury feature and I'll eat my words. When I said Toyota owners are not looking for these features I didn't qualify my statement with this: Toyota queries current owners and asks what features they would like to see on future vehicles. They did this with the previous gen Avalon hence some features were new to Toyota in the current gen Avalon. Same thing with previous gen Sequoia owners. The smart key is simply a trickle down feature from Toyotas sold overseas. Even the lowly Yaris is available with smart key in Japan.

Considering the truck has only been out not more than a month I would say sales are brisk. I sold the first Platinum to hit the dealership and others have sold a few also along with a couple of limiteds and SR5'S. Production has ramped up and I believe we have 7 sitting on the lot right now, one Platinum, 2 limiteds and 4 SR5's. Interesting to see three of the SR5'S have leather interior and a few other options and they are running around 44k.

I just "BUILT" a Yukon Denali 4x4 "luxury" suv comparably equipped to the Platinum Sequoia. MSRP: $57.165.00 link title The Denali does not offer laser cruise, a fold flat second or third row seat, heated and cooled front passenger seats, center row heated seats, driver selectable suspension, standard 20 inch alloys, etc. Towing capacity is less than Sequoia even though the Denali has about 6lb-ft of torque and 1 less horsepower. Sequoia is better looking too. ;)
    Now we'll compare the QX ..STAY TUNED!
    Here's something similar, they don't offer laser cruise, third row is not leather? No heated and cooled front seats, anyway, less horspower and torque than Sequoia, less towing capacity than Sequoia, less vehicle than Sequoia. MSRP $52,110. I couldn't find the nav system anywhere, and the LE package, moonroof package. LE 2 package had no description of what's included.
    Here's the Armada..uh I mean the QX similar to Sequoia but still lacking. link title MSRP $59,015.00 very close to Sequoia but no cigar. Dated design, Sequoia new design.
    Now let's look at the Expedition MSRP $54,135.00. Third row vinyl seats?? Less horsepower and torque, less towing capacity although it's the one closest to Sequoia. I noticed most of the domestics have power adjustable pedals, Must be so the wives can drive the vehicles. No self respecting man would drive one of those.
    ;)
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I stopped by the Lexus dealer and drove the LX 570. It is a pretty good vehicle. The sequoia is much more spacious and the ride is equally good. However the fit and finish is much better in the sequoia.

The dealer would not sell the vehicle at anything less than full price (83K) and hence I decided to stick with my platinum. It is 28k less and has the same drive train and more space. The LX is a lot prettier!
    Nice call mack. QX is still 3000 cheaper and has many more features. Keep trying you'll eventually find another 62000 vehicle with a 1500 dashboard and seats. My son's 4runner sport is nicer than that Sequoia for half the price. Didn't even need the "applique enhancement option package" to gussy it up for the unsuspecting public.
    You listed several features and said that Toyota buyers don't want those features. Yet Toyota offers some of those features on vehicles w/MSRP's half of the Sequoia. That makes no sense. Ck back on pg 48 or so.

I like your comparisons....have you even driven or been in any of these vehicles recently? Can you make objective observations about the leather quality, other materials in the competition v. the Sequoia? We all know that numbers don't tell the entire story.

My comments to you have been primarly b/c you make very generalized comments that many of us here shopping these vehicles dispute. That is why I made the reference about rose-colored Toyota sales glasses. It is one thing to believe in your product. It is an entirely different thing to blindly believe that your product is worlds better than other VERY comparable products or even refuse to asknowledge who that competition is.

You probably would not like customers like my wife and I b/c we would challenge general comments that you make here. Challenge may be a bad choice of words, but we like for sales folks to point out the differences in their product vs. somebody elses. But we also want the points to be as objective as possible bc we'll follow through on the observations and confirm them with our own eyes. Once credibility is lost....it is very difficult to gain it again.

Again-nothing wrong with being proud and confident in your products, but there is a fine line btwn knowing the competition and feeling the need to knock everybody else's product to hide the Sequoia's faults.

Quick story....shopping for a previous SUV. We were going in to close the deal on one and my wife, on the way over to the dealership, asked to go see something else first. I was ticked since we had made up our minds, but did the right thing and took her there. But first I wanted to let our salesperson know why we would not be in to sign the paperwork. He was great...he did not attempt to talk us out of going to the other dealership. After we came back the next day to close the original deal, I asked him why he did not attempt to hassle/pressure us into coming in. His simple answer...."I knew what you guys wanted and that you would not want the ________. I knew that our ________ was the best SUV for you guys". Quiet confidence....I liked it then and like it now.
    "The Yukon Hybrid starts at just under $53K and goes up to just over $56K. The MB GL320 CDI starts at just over $53K and goes up to $77K. For under $54K MSRP you could have a high quality, highly efficient, tow vehicle with plenty of interior space and far greater resale value than a Yukon Hybrid. "

Mercedes stripped it and sells the needed features as options. The Yukon has more standard features. The reality of it is that you can get the Yukon with nav/DVD/leader/hitch for $56K MSRP whereas the Mercedes would be $73K MSRP. That is $17K difference. In reality it may be more as the GMC will be discounted more.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I would like to see an EPA test on a hybrid at 1000 miles and again at 60000 miles.

If you'd trust an owner instead, you can follow the real world mpg discussion for the Prius (or whatever hybrid).

For example, over 65k and over 47 mpg:

kdhspyder, "Toyota Prius MPG-Real World Numbers" #488, 14 Jan 2008 8:55 am
    Well keg, I don't know what else to say. I do believe in my products and know the competition quite well and have driven their products. Call me a Toyota homer but I know quality, dependability, and reliability. And Toyota has those three in the bag. I'm not putting the others down just pointing out their shortcomings and our advantages. I could post more advantages that are not listed in the brochures or online but it would be pointless. Enjoy your SUV. And I would win you over as a customer. I like challenges and I know my stuff, after I had shown you the Sequoia and driven it I would dare you to check out the competition and if you found something better to buy it.
    No. It's not 3k cheaper. I compared MSRP TO MSRP. Not dealer inflated mark up. The 4runner doesn't compare to the Sequoia. Two different animals.
    I just looke back at my posts and I never said it. You are actually the one that did. To wit:
    "I can't believe that you would really say that "Toyota owners don't want luxury features". :P
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I love Toyotas and prefer not to say bad things about other products. However the QX is one of the most troble prone vehicles that is sold in the US. Go back a couple of years and Forbes, Consumer Reports among others had reported it to be one of the least reliable vehicles. THe main problem is that it is has too many gadgets and they break down.

Again, even the CEO of Nissan Carlos Ghosn said last month that he is thinking of stopping the production/development of Titan Trucks because they are not selling many vehicles. Given these statements why would you want to buy a QX 56.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    I heard a radio ad for one of the local dealers saying they are doubling all manufacturer incentives. I knew there was nothing on the 2008 Sequoia's but I emailed anyway, just to see what they said. Here's the reply.

"At this point there aren't [any incentives]. The vehicle has been completely redesigned. I drive one as a demo and it is a winner. We currently have two in stock with an order of six more due in within a week to ten days. Most dealers are selling them at or above MSRP. I would be willing to give you a slight discount on one if you're interested. Let me know."

Funny, cause I've talked to another dealer who will go $500 over invoice.

Aaron
    Consumer reports needs to stick to ranking curling irons and microwaves. They rated the Tundra very low too. I've been driving trucks since 1984 and can honestly say the Tundra is the best so far. I don't put alot of stock in publications like that. I would much rather read forums like this to gather my info before a purchase. The QX does have documented issues but they are for the most part limited to 04-05. This is my wife's vehicle and quality of routine service down the road is important to her as well as a longer factory warranty. We eagerly awaited the arrival of the Sequoia and when the dealer finally got one we were very disappointed with the interior quality. So much so she did not even care to drive it. I know the powertrain is awesome but at the end of the day I just couldn't justify hopping in a 60k Sequoia everyday and thinking, yep just like my truck. As far as Nissan stopping production, I could really care less if they stopped tomorrow. Wouldn't be good for resale I guess but putting my wife in a vehicle she can't stand is not good either. This vehicle will be depreciated through my business so resale has never been a concern of mine anyway. If you're buying a vehicle based on resale value you should probably take a closer look at your financial goals. Buy what makes you happy and that's what we did.