Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "If you're buying a vehicle based on resale value you should probably take a closer look at your financial goals."

Resale value shouldn't be the primary reason for purchasing a vehicle, but it probably shouldn't be ignored either. Its just another factor to be placed into the buying decision. All other things being equal (price, features, quality, reliability), I'd always take the vehicle with a higher retention of value (resale) over the vehicle that plummets in value after 4 years.

Just good common sense in spending your hard earned income wisely.
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    Agreed hd. Take for example the mdx. A good vehicle with great resale. I know because I had one for 4 years. We would not have been as happy with an 08 mdx as with the qx. I think it is more important to be happy with a vehicle you will drive for 4 years than to savor what you'll get when you sell or trade. Just my opinion, everybody's got one.....
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    Looks like GM vehicles run on air not gas. Todate there is no GM Yukon hybrid on the road. If they can build vehicles that are RELIABLE and give 20 mpg I would be first in line. Unfortunately I have not seen much evidence of that.
  • blaker1blaker1 Member Posts: 2
    I was waiting for an 08 Sequioa while the 07's faded away. Got to drive one. I like a lot about it, but they cut the head room down by nearly 3 inches. Can anyone explain this? I'm nearly 6'4 and I brush the roof with my head all of the time in the car. I had way more room in the 07, and actually liked many things about that vehichle. Anyone else prefer the 07? Toyota killed the head room in the 4 runner when they went to the latest body style as well. I had an 01, planned to get an 05 and- no headroom, which is why I have an xc90 v8. I hope they don't screw up the next 4 runner.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    Resale value is a very significant factor in cost of ownership. Edmunds.com now tracks 'cost per mile' of cars. This is brilliant and the cost-per-mile (to me) is really more important than purchase price.
    I found the Sequoia to have less headroom than my Denali however after I adjusted the seat for my driver position I had more headroom because I tend the have the seat reclined further than most (I'm also 6'4"). I found the headroom acceptable however according to the specs it has the least driver headroom of any of the large SUVs.

Sequoia 38.3"
    Tahoe/Yukon/Esc 41.1"
    QX56 39.7"
    Navigator 39.5
    Just got word this evening from the dealership that my Black/Red Rock Platinum Sequoia has been delayed and has a new scheduled build date of Feb 20 and target deliver of the 2nd week in March.

Delay appears to be related to the Red Rock interior. I don't know if that means they received more orders than projected or they're having difficulties with the manufacturing process. Curious if anyone else with an order for a Red Rock interior is seeing a delay? I'm glad I placed the order back in Dec.
  • mtufenkmtufenk Member Posts: 14
    I originally was waiting for the 08 but was a little leary after seeing some early sequoia photos. I was also able to get a great deal on a fully-loaded 07 as they were trying to push them out the door to make room for 08's. I am 6'3 and dont have a problem with headroom. I think the 08 has a lot of neat features but I personally dont care for the tundra front end and like a lot of people the appearance of the dash.
    I just cannot see buying an old one with the 4.7 engine after knowing the 5.7 aluminum is out. I would have to get $20K off MSRP to even want to occupy my brain to consider it.
  • buyer4suvbuyer4suv Member Posts: 26
    Anybody have input on one vs the other...I thought the Toyota felt smoother to drive and my wife thought the Tahoe was quieter. I hate onstar and like bluetooth so that gives Toyota the edge. Flat folding 3rd row in toyota, terrible 3rd row design in chevy.

Toyota financing is better but a similar toyota vehicle is about 7% more expensive than the tahoe. I'd like remote start which is only a dealer option with Toyota.

What do others think the trade offs are between the two?
    I have a 2001 sequoia and test drove the new one. THe inside is far more spacious than the older model. The ride is also far superior. Rather than buy a 07 seq I would buy an SR5 2008 for the same money. It is far better.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Eagle, Consumer Reports didn't rate the Tundra very low! Where are you getting this from?
  • blaker1blaker1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I'm torn. I thought the old model was the perfect size, I don't need huge but I do like the fact that the rear seats fold down. Toyota seems to be forgetting about head room across the board. If you don't mind, what did you pay for your 07 because my dealer says he can get one, but there aren't any incentives at this point.

Thanks again.
    "Toyota seems to be forgetting about head room across the board."

I posted these headroom #s before. Its also interesting to note that they reduced the headroom from the 07 Sequoia by 2". Not sure what the thinking could have been or the engineering issue they couldn't resolve. I know its not because they think Americans are getting shorter.

Front headroom
    2007 Sequoia 40.4"

2008 Sequoia 38.3"
    Tahoe/Yukon/Esc 41.1"
    QX56 39.7"
    Navigator 39.5"
    "Anybody have input on one vs the other...I thought the Toyota felt smoother to drive and my wife thought the Tahoe was quieter. I hate onstar and like bluetooth so that gives Toyota the edge. Flat folding 3rd row in toyota, terrible 3rd row design in chevy.

Toyota financing is better but a similar toyota vehicle is about 7% more expensive than the tahoe. I'd like remote start which is only a dealer option with Toyota."

I think you've captured the major differences. The Sequoia is larger inside than the Tahoe but smaller than the Suburban. You might also want to check out the 2nd row in the Tahoe as well since they don't fold flat while the 2nd row in the Sequoia does fold flat.

Sequoia has a higher tow rating. Tahoe has a higher Payload rating.

You can see all of the specs and pricing side-by-side for a 4wd SR5 08 Sequoia against a 4wd LT Tahoe at this link http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?basestyleid=100891763&- styleid=100962663&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=specs
    For the same money I would rather have a fully-loaded 07 than a stripped 08 SR5. I did not need the larger engine.
    I paid $8500 below MSRP that included Toyota's rebate. Somebody else on this board mentioned getting $10k below MSRP. I also did not need the larger tow capacity of the 08 so that might have helped make my decision.
  • buyer4suvbuyer4suv Member Posts: 26
    Is it just me, or does the sequoia look totally bland when viewed from the side?

It seems to have vast expanses of metal without any real design...in contrast, the armada has nice angles...does color choice affect the look? I was looking at the slate grey which I didn't really like...
  • gldwinggldwing Member Posts: 13
    I can not get a clear answer from any dealers re: the removal of the 3rd row seats on SR5 or Limited. Basically, 2 say "no" and 1 seems to think "yes". Have any of you taken them out. They do take up about 8". I can not imagine loading for example
    "mulch" or fertilizer (bags) and having 1 rip open-all over that nice 3 row.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not removable.
    :shades:
    I am thinking about the same issues. I plan to keep a movers rug that I can put on top of the seats.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    The hard drive nav unit, memory card slot, keyless "go" and HID lights are not something that Toyota owners want.

I stand corrected on the "luxury comment", but the above quote is from your post 931.

My point is just this....why do several Toyota cars/SUVs costing thousands less than the Sequoia (some half the cost of the Platinum) have keyless "go" while the Sequoia does not? You can't say "b/c Toyota owners don't want them" b/c that makes no sense. Guess only the Toyota owners buying a 25K Camry/Prius want it, not a Toyota owner buying a 60K Sequoia.... I could understand it if the Camry/Prius were brand new designs while the Sequoia was not. But that is not the case. Toyota obviously made a concious decision to not put this (and several other nice or "luxury" features) on the Sequoia. Yet Toyota chose to put a MSRP on the Platinum Sequoia that clearly puts it up among the luxury SUVs. I suppose that Toyota feels that the Sequoia will sell based upon the powertrain, flexible interior, and the perceived reputation of Toyota quality.

Comments like this (your post 962):
    Here's the Armada..uh I mean the QX similar to Sequoia but still lacking.

are just childish. I don't see the vast majority of folks here making comments like, "my base Tundra dash....er Sequoia Platinum dash is beautiful". Are there critiques of all vehicles being made on these boards? Absolutely! I just don't see the need for juvenile and immature comments to get made here and then expect to have much respect for your opinions. Those are the comments that would irk the heck out of my wife and I when shopping for a new vehicle and just further the public perception of the greasy plaid sportcoat-wearing salesperson who will say anything to close a deal.
    Good points. It has been said but the the first two years of the QX/Armada were rougher than normal for a Japanese builder. I think that you'll find significantly less issues with the '06/'07 builds. Several previous owners who upgraded to the '08 have noted how much better built the new ones are.

Let's also be honest....Toyota is not bulletproof anymore. We all know that Consumer Reports did not wholly endorse all of the Toyota/Lexus products this year. My parents bought a new '07 Camry and while mechanically they have not had any problems, there are some definite fit/finish issues that one would not usually find in a Toyota. Add to that, the Sequoia is a first year model and I would not lean one way or the other with the QX v Sequoia on reliability.

Also, I read on another board that there will be a new QX, likely in 2010/11. It will be built in Japan and will be based upon the Nissan Patrol, instead of the Titan.
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    ^^^ I REALLY want a Lexus ES 350. Unfortunately it looks as if owners have had significant problems with the transmission amongst other things.
    "For the same money I would rather have a fully-loaded 07 than a stripped 08 SR5. I did not need the larger engine.

I paid $8500 below MSRP that included Toyota's rebate. Somebody else on this board mentioned getting $10k below MSRP. I also did not need the larger tow capacity of the 08 so that might have helped make my decision."

I would guess a loaded 2007 would have an MSRP of $52,000 so I can predict you paid $43,500. That is exactly what I paid for my 2008 SR5 4x4 with the 5.7 engine, 6-speed transmission, independent rear suspension, Nav, leather in all rows and steering wheel, power heated seats, hitch, sunroof, JBL, Bluetooth, heated mirrors, headlight washers, power folding 3rd row, etc., etc. Every option except ultrasonic parking and Homelink/auto dimming -- both of which I added later for about $400 total.
    These are comments that I make on a public forum, not to my customers. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but I am not the stereo typical car salesman. No plaid jackets, no greasy hair, matter of fact no hair due to chemo, but that's another story. And I have never lied to a customer to close a deal. Have a great weekend.
    Mack :shades:
    Your sr5 is well-equipped. However, a fully loaded 07 also includes DVD entertainment system, memory seats, rear air suspension, 2nd row captains chairs with REMOVABLE center console, wood trim, homelink, special color, spoiler, skid plate, etc...
    Trust me....no feelings were hurt here. I just like civil discourse on these forums. I go to them for info...not silly stuff.
    You too have a good weekend!
  • wws42wws42 Member Posts: 1
    Do the second row captain seats on the Platinum fold flat like the second row bench seats?
    I agree with your comments. Toyotas are not bullet proof anymore. My 2005 Avalon's battery died even though it is less than 3 years. However, they are a lot better than the QX which was at the bottom of all vehicles sold in the U.S in terms of reliability. Do you want a car with a few finish problems or even a new battery versus the one at the bottom in terms of reliability. To me the toyota's are a clear choice inspite of the recent reliability issues. If they get worse I will be shopping elsewhere.
    As I recall, I'm 99.9% sure that you get a large and flat load floor when you fold the 2nd and 3rd rows. The console on the Platinum is even with the seats so no worries with that. From the 2nd row back, it is a well designed and versatile vehicle.
    Have you driven or even sat it a QX or do you just believe everything you read?
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    When in the market for a big SUV both the seqouia and QX56 have positive and negative attributes. We chose a QX56 as my wife prefered the drive and handling over the 2008 seqouia. I drove both and l had no particular preference, but this is her vehicle and uses it for school pickup for the kids We traded in a 2003 seqouia for the 2008 QX56. The navigation system and DVD were not important to me, but were to her. The key is to see which vehicle fits your needs, as both are excellent SUVs.
    I have driven one and I also believe reliable sources such as Consumers report and Forbes.
    This is very interesting!
    I just looked at the Consumer Reports website. They no longer recommend the Toyota Tundra and we all know that the Sequoia is based on the Tundra. Now, I'm not trying to start anything, but if we're going to look at "objective" sources like CR, then they don't recommend either the QX or the Tundra (on which the Sequoia is based).

I also don't see any reliability data from Forbes. It does have some pretty nice review information though. I would not have thought to look there for such in-depth information on cars!
    Thanks for your insightful comments.They will definitely help me in my next vehicle purchase. You made an excellent decision in purchasing the QX. I am sure that thousands more will be grateful for your wisdom.
    Consumer reports data is valid but on certain number of vehicles. We had problems with the first Tundra's that came off the assembly line and got to consumers. It was an insignificant amount and the problem was resolved. Now the Tundra has been named TRUCK OF THE YEAR by Motor Trend magazine.
    The other problem was with the 07 Camry v6 model. There was a transmission/software problem which has also been corrected. Due to these two issues CR decided not to automatically mark all Toyota vehicles under the "Recommend" check as they did before.
    The new Sequoia is on a modified Tundra platform and I don't expect any reliability issues with it.
    :shades:
    For what it's worth. Toyota and Infiniti are across the street from one another. There were 10 QX's on the lot when I bought mine 12/28/07.
    There was one Sequoia.
    Now there are 14 Sequoias and 6 QX's. Wouldn't say the Sequoia's are flying off the lot. I would definitely hold out for rebates. They're definitely coming.
  • mittie1mittie1 Member Posts: 11
    Blaker1

I have the same concern about lack of headroom. Did you consider ordering a Sequoia without a sunroof this will increase the headroom by 2-3 inches. I have ordered a Limited without the sunroof.

Who really needs a sunroof on an SUV anyway? If might be cool for the first day or so but after that it's a useless option that only increases the cost of the vehicle

Also, has anyone noticed that you can not get the the Sequoia unless it includes the Cold Kit, even if you don't want or need one. Toyota Regional Office seems to require that every Sequoia come with the Cold Kit. This option also inceases the cost of the vehicle.
    There are atleast two reasons why the Sequoia's are not flying.
    a) Dealers are not bringing down prices much. I am in New england and I talked to several dealers. They are negotiating but not by much. The bigger dealers want full price.

b) The dealers have versions that buyers do not want. I am looking for a black sequoia platinum with grey or beige interior. The dealer has special ordered the vehicle, could take 4-6 weeks.

Infiniti dealers are willing to give much better deals because the car has been around for a while
    I understand your comments. They sold 200000 tundras and less than 100 had camshaft problems. There was a big hue and cry about it. The failure rate is 1 in 2000.

Mercedes sold 9000 blue tec diesels. They had to recall 7500 because of serious engine problems. The failure rate is 5 out of every six vehicles sold. Toyotas are not perfect but they are darn good!
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    even though i have had a lot of toyotas, i have had a lot of other cars too including a range rover, MB 320 and tahoe and by far the most i have ever enjoyed any vehicle is my new 08 Seq, i just love it. (and btw I am very skeptical of al vehicles). I am still gong to post some pics, i just have to figure it out
    Just wondering....which of Consumer Report's evaluations are "valid" and which are not? I know you won't say that all of the "good" Toyota eval's are valid while the "bad" ones are not! ;)

No matter, it does show that the first year or two of a brand new vehicle can be troublesome. According to CR (not sure if it is "valid" or not ;) ) the QX was rough the first two years but improved significantly in '06. They did not have any info on the '07 models listed on their website, but one could assume that the upward trend would continue.

It will be interesting what happens to the new reliability rankings since the new CR Auto issue does come out soon (March, I believe)
    Possibly the reliability issue is related to the camshaft (not sure where you got your failure numbers), but....

CR has the '07 Tundra knocked down in 4 reliability categories:
    1. Drive system
    2. Body Hardware
    3. Power Equipment
    4. Audio System

I'm no mechanic, but I'm quite certain that the camshaft does not impact all 4 areas.
    Mack,
    You do seem to be correct on the V6 Camry since that is the only '07 Camry model not recommended. Both the 4 cylinder and Hybrid score well with the exception that all 3 have poor scores in the "squeeks and rattles" category. Any insight into that? Like I said before in a prior post, that is the only thing that I would mark as a negative on my parent's '07 Camry. The fit/finish is not quite what I would expect from a Camry. Otherwise, it is a nice, well thought out, nice driving/riding car.
    I got two flat tires today!!!

The cold kit is a good idea for any climate. It is a higher amp battery -- who does not want that? It has headlight washers -- good anywhere. About the only thing that is not useful in warm areas are the heated mirrors.

I don't care about sunroofs but mine came with one.
    I noticed that also on the 07 but it's something Toyota had begun doing with the 2005 Avalon. In my estimation the quality and fit and finish of the interiors were not up to par with the previous gen Avalon. Same thing with the 07 Camry. The center console pieces didn't seem to fit right and there were lots of gaps. Not what I'm used to with Toyota qc. There are lots of complaints about the dash. Our GSM put that out this morning at the sales meeting. It was something I hadn't heard before or had anyone of my Camry buyers tell me about. It's normal in cold weather for the dash to creak and squeak but as the temp goes up the squeaks and creaks go away.
    The other reason could be that production has ramped up hence there are more Sequoias on dealers lots than before. Normally during intro of a new model dealers get at least one to have on hand then a trickle and then a truckload. Sales have been slow this month overall as compared to last January. The mortgage crisis is having its effect on auto sales. Two separate customers I assisted today are in the process or refinancing their homes to pay off credit card debt and also cash out to buy a new car. What are the odds of having two customers in a row with the same dilemma?
    Mack
    Interesting. Now is that Toyota getting "too big too fast" and losing oversight over some of the smaller issues or do customers have higher expectations for a Toyota (or even other Japanese cars) and are thus more likely to report smaller issues? Or perhaps a little of both? Just a rheotiorical question....