Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I currently have a leased 2004 Sequoia -- the lease will be up in Dec. 2007. I was anticipating getting the 2008 model but I really like the current size. Is it really expected to be so much bigger?? Why would Toyota make it bigger when it seems that people are starting to downsize a bit?

I did have a 2002 Yukon and had a hard time pulling it in without ripping off the side of the garage. I have 2 kids and I really don't need a Suburban sized vehicle -- the current size is great. Will Toyota offer different lengths like the Tahoe/Suburban?

I would look at the Honda Pilot but it seems a bit small and everyone has these. Maybe I should just lease a new 2007 model?
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    Well, if you are wondering why Toyota is making a bigger Sequoia, you need look no further than the 2007 Tundra. Toyota knew that to keep up with Ford, Chevy and Dodge they had to build a bigger pick up. And with that, they also knew they had to build a bigger SUV, with everybody else's SUVs being much bigger than the Sequoia. One of the main complaints of the Sequoia (and the LandCruiser, for that matter) has been the size and the horsepower. Think about it. Everybody else is offering v8's with at least 300 hp and the current Sequoia is only 273. And of course there are plenty of people with boats trailers, 5th wheels who would love a Sequoia but weren't quite happy with the pulling power (only 6500 lbs, currently). Now with the new one coming out with an optional 5.7L with the capacity to pull 10k lbs, here's their chance. And with the quality of Toyota to boot. Can't beat that.

The '08 will probably be in one size, somewhere between the Tahoe and Suburban. Arrival date should be September time-frame. Should be interesting to see if it is as ugly as the new Tundra!! LOL
  • suvsbobsuvsbob Member Posts: 12
    I'm not sure Toyota has to keep up with Ford, Chevy and Dodge is good reasoning. I'd think quite the opposite, with Toyota poised to be No. 1 this year, it's Ford, Chevy and Dodge that have to keep up Toyota. If toyota has the herd mentality, just because everyone else does it and it has to do the same, it won't keep the No.1 for long. it's time for Toyota to define the market.

I'll be happy with a new Sequoia with current size, new styling(Ugly or not) and better engine and gas mileage. Who needs a SUV which can seat a whole squadron police SWAT team anyway. :P
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I for one am looking forward to a SUV with more power. I pull a trailer that weighs 6,000lbs and i am looking for a new one with a popout. the new seq should do the trick. Not espically happy about bigger size but bigger towingf capacity is good. I have driven the new tundra with the 5.7 V8 and it is everybit as smooth as the 4.7 V8. I'm sure the new seq will drive like a truck but that is really what it is. It's just the tundra cab with a metal extension and two rows of seats tacked on.
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    The 2007 New York International Car Show opens April 4th. Let's hope that Toyota unveils the 2008 Sequoia during this event and we get to see the next generation Sequoia.
    well with the new 5.7L coming out in the tundra, i would expect the sequoia to have it. It's quite possible that it might be previewed at the April show in NY. I know the new Lexus LX 570 is coming out next week. But who knows?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The 07 Tahoe and Yukon drive quite nice most of the time but I was hoping Sequoia could perfect the SUV experience.
    I've sat in the Tahoe and Escalade and the middle seating is not comfortable. That's the only reason I'd consider a Sequoia over a mid-size SUV. For trips and adults only the Sequoia, Excursion, Expedition and Surburban fit the need.

I've had a Sequoia and Expedition and am waiting to see the 08. I would rather have a shorter, not larger vehicle like the Land Cruiser in the Sequoia trim level. I'll just have to wait and see.
    How disappointing... another car show has ended and we still have no idea about when there might be a next generation Sequoia.
    I think you know the answer, but are unwilling to accept what the answer is. Look at the 2007 tundra, thats the 2008 Sequoia. It was the same for the 2000 tundra and the new 2001 sequoia.

I personally am looking forward to a bigger engine, because I want to tow a 9,000 lb travel trailer. I am not thrilled about the longer vehicle that is rumored but I guess you take what they put out or shop somwhere else. My guess is that the land cruser will be the same size as the present seq but with the bigger engine. If you want to pay the extra for all the goodies in this vehicle maby thats will work for you.
    I agree that it will look similar to the Tundra but I want to know when can we expect to see the next generation Sequoia.
    I've been to several dealerships in the Southern California area and have been told anywhere from September to December but why they did not preview it at the NY Auto Show is beyond me. I guess it gets here when it gets here and there isn't much else you can say or do.
    I've been to several dealerships in the Southern California area and have been told anywhere from September to December but why they did not preview it at the NY Auto Show is beyond me. I guess it gets here when it gets here and there isn't much else you can say or do.
  • johngalt1johngalt1 Member Posts: 6
    I talked with a dealer who rents a building from us, and he said expect to see it on the sales floor in December. Another dealer I spoke with said the same. That said, I'm expecting to see it anywhere from October 07 to December of 2010.
    maybe 2010 lol
  • pwrsliderpwrslider Member Posts: 1
    You all do realize that the 08 Sequoia debuted at the San Antonio Toyota dealers convention late last fall....don't ya?? Any dealer that went there ( as did mine...) has photos...but will not release them.

It's big...tundra big....and it may have a different name badge.....

can't wait!
  • hottoyofanhottoyofan Member Posts: 9
    Please.... Everyone knows Toyota isn't that stupid. They didn't preview an 08 Sequoia 2 years in advance that is based on a truck frame that hasn't been released either. Toyota was so wrapped up in thier Camry/Highlander hybrid releases they ignored the Sequoia.If you had been talking to dealers and listening to the Toyota gossip lines over the last 3 years regarding this release you'd know that.... but... if your dealer has photos I will gladly trade him my photos of the Lexus JX
  • willsc40willsc40 Member Posts: 2
    Why don't both of you post your photos up on the web?

I hate when Toyota or others try to make it some big secret. If you hold on to something like that to long, it back fires. Look at the 08 Highlander! Everybody was waiting for that to come out and it looks like hell. A blown up RAV4;(
    oh i totally agree...the highlander is totally ugly. Makes me wonder if Toyota is going to F up the new Sequoia.
    If they do "mess-up" the Sequoia then we'll purchase either the Navigator or the Infiniti. I am just waiting to see the Sequoia to make a decision.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO, if you can imagine the new Tundra Crewmax version extended w/ an imaginary enclosure w/ the Tundra's tails- that's what the Sequoia will look like. Obviusly, this is all speculation. But if the past is any indication of the future, the Sequoia will be based off of the Tundra.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I know the prices have not been announced. Since new model is based on Tundra, could we guess what the price of this SUV is going to be ? Did Tundra go up in price with the model change? And any update on the length, width of this new Sequoia model?
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    My lease on my 2004 Sequoia is up in Dec. 2007. I'm not at all interested in a bigger version of this SUV. I'm also tired of the low gas mileage. Why would Toyota be making a bigger truck when it seems that the trend is moving away from this type of vehicle? I like Toyota but I'm going to seriously look at the new GMC Acadia cross-over. It has better features (2nd and 3rd rows fold down flat) and better gas mileage. I just haul kids, groceries, sports equipment and luggage -- no need for towing.
    well go for it- personally i think american products suck but hey to each his (or her) own
    Here is an idea I've played with recently. What if Toyota decided to up the ante this year and beat everyone else to the punch with the first full size/large SUV Hybrid??? Toyota isn't stupid and hasn't overtaken the market by making bad investments and product changes... I doubt they decided to go larger for no reason. It's been talked about and obvious that the Sequoia needed a better tow rating to compare but that wouldn't be the only reason to go big. With gas prices continuing to soar and the American "go big" mantra stalling out the last two years I think Toyota decided to go large for other reasons.... If not the first year release then maybe year two of the new body might see a hybrid added... WOW! I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    AND I forgot to talk about how Toyota pushed so hard and fast the last two years to get out the Camry hybrid and the first hybrid SUV highlander as well as Lexus coming out with the first hybrid luxury vehicles... maybe pushing the Sequoia back two years while all this hybrid technology came out will add a surprise element to the full size SUV category... Just a thought... maybe wishful thinking..
    Nice idea, but you forget that GMC has already built the Denali and Tahoe for 2008 with hybrid engine. But I'm sure Toyota is already thinking about that. I hear rumors that the next generation 4Runner will be a hybrid.
  • u045777u045777 Member Posts: 33
    I don't care if the new sequoia is a hybrid or not. I just want it to have the best ride, reliability, safety, value, and of course more bells & whistles than the new Tahoe/Yukon or MDX. I want: power liftgate, rain sensing wipers, remote start, heated & cooled driver/passenger seats, onstar, 20 inch chrome wheels, NAV with live traffic updates, super handling 4wd (like the acura mdx), Ipod plug/holder, a larger (10 inch+) rear entertainment dvd, also a video screen on the back of the front passenger's visor so the front passenger can watch the same movie that the kids in theback are watching. All that and I'd gladly pay $50K!!! 18-22 mpg + would be icing on the cake! ;)

Don't rush it Toyota. Haste makes waste and costly recalls, warrenty repairs, and manufacturer buybacks) just look at my last 2 fords :lemon: :lemon: .
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    And I on the other hand just want one with much better mpg than current model. If you are listening (and actually care for our opinion), offer all the bells and whistles as optional equipment. Don't need it. Don't want to pay for it.

:)
    well duh!! they were FORDS! C'mon now! I bought a Ford Focus in '02 and within 30 days the windshield was leaking and the passenger side was getting all wet. As for all those 'bells and whistles' I doubt you will get everything you want on the new Sequoia, but no doubt it would be nice. All that would cost a lot more than 50k i am quite sure-for all that you could buy the new '08 LX 470!
    From what I have read, the optional 5.7L engine gets better gas mileage than the regular 4.7L..it certainly has shown to be true in the new Tundras..I do like the new Tundra but I am willing to wait for the new Sequoia to come out.
    wow i have never seen that one yet. I saw one on a japanese website that looked similiar, but this pic certainly looks more streamlined. Certainly will be interesting to see how close it looks to the real thing when it comes out. I went to a dealer in LA yesterday and test-drove a Tundra..and of course i had to ask if they knew anything about the new Sequoia. They were saying September but who really knows at this point. It might end up being like the release of the Tundra (i.e, February). I did see on insideline or autoweek that Toyota was saying they were going to release news of two new production vehicles at the SEMA show in Vegas in October/November, so it may be that one of those production vehicles will indeed be the new Sequoia. Thanks for the pic, looks very interesting. Reminds me of an Armada in form.
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    Interesting pic! I like the overall look of that...to me the back end looks similar to the current 4Runner. If you look at that picture really close, you'll notice that the plates seem to say "Land Cruiser" and the caption says something close to "130 Series, 4.4 Litre, Twin Turbro Diesel." I wonder if this is the next Land Cruiser, not the next Sequoia? I'm very anxious to see the new Sequoia. I wish Toyota would release something, anything! I need a new SUV bad...I'm willing to wait till the Fall, but not willing to wait till next Spring.
    that isn't the new land cruiser because I have seen pics of the new land crusier and that doesn't like it...but i agree i don't want to wait til the spring either..hopefully they won't make people wait!
    Feast your eyes on this awsome SUV...

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lx.html

I just noticed the new LX goes on sale at the begining of new year and has the new 5.7 engine. I hope the 2008 Sequoia is similar except for the cost. The LX's size is just what I'm looking for but can't afford it's $75K+ price tag. Please Toyota make me a 2008 Sequoia that costs the same as a new fully loaded Tahoe and has all the bells and whistles that the Tahoe has.

Kudos to those that can afford the new LX... with cameras in the front to "see around the corner and blind spots" and have the same wood trim that expensive musical instruments and private jets have.
    Yeah they showed it off at the New York autoshow. It looks incredible. I certainly like the fact that they have trimmed it from the boxy versions it used to be. It has nicer curves and seems to be more streamlined. Certainly if I could afford one, i would get one. I guess I will have to "settle" for the new Sequoia. I understand the size will be a little bigger than the Tahoe but smaller than the '07 Suburban but not by much. They advertise it on InsideLine as being the biggest SUV in Toyota's future lineup. I guess time will tell how big. It's almost June so certainly not much longer, i'm guessing.
    Feast your eyes on this awsome SUV...

Hummm, looks a lot like the 08 Hylander from the waist down.
    Toyota knew that to keep up with Ford, Chevy and Dodge they had to ..... And of course there are plenty of people with boats trailers, 5th wheels who would love a Sequoia

Until Toyota trys to outsale GM in the Tahoe segment they don't need to worry about the people that need to tow 10,000#. Toyota still sells a relatively small amount of Sequoia's and they sell all they want to make. They don't need to keep up, they're in the lead (just not in sales numbers). When they flood the market like GM, Ford and Dodge, their products will start getting discounted, profits will drop and they will indeed be competitive. Right now they offer a premium product at a premium cost and people don't mind.

IMO, they should have created a Sequoia the size of a Land Cruiser and leave the 10,000# towing and hauling of 8 people to GM and Ford who lose money building all of these models. I believe Toyota will regret this decision to go bigger.
    Toyota has kept me waiting too long. My current hunk of junk may have fallen ill for the final time last night. I was hoping to hold out for the new Sequoia, but it doesn't look like that will happen. My interest has turned to the new Saturn Outlook. From everything I'm reading, it seems like a quality replacement at a more reasonable price. Can anybody convice me otherwise?

Toyota - A photo of the 08 Sequoia is all it would take to keep me waiting!!! What are you thinking?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "Toyota - A photo of the 08 Sequoia is all it would take to keep me waiting!!!"

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/Comments/2800?@@
    YESSSSSS! I can wait!!! Thank you for that peek. I almost bought a used Sequoia yesterday. Glad I waited. Only about 7 more months now to drive a now '08!!!
    See? Aren't you glad you waited? I bet it will sell at about the same time as the Tundra (February). Definitely looks bigger than the '07. Looks Tahoe-Sized.
    Hope I can keep my wife patient til Feb. Toyota give us some pictures of it uncovered!
    well it certainly looks pretty nice from the the pictures..i think the shape is pretty much in line with the old gen Sequoia, just bigger. But I do hope it has some of the features that are seen in the LX 570. That would be nice. Of course it will be pricier, but definitely worth it. I am certainly happy that they are upgrading the engine and giving it more HP and towing capacity. I think with Toyota's reputation for quality and reliability they can convert more domestic owners to the new Sequoia. I like the new Tundra but i'd rather wait for the new Sequoia.
    Anyone have an idea if the new 2008 Sequoia will be getting similar MPG to the Tundra's with 5.7 engine?
    Toyota's website says the new Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7 in all 3 styles (reg cab, double cab, and crew max) get only 14 city /18 hwy. If that's the case for the new Sequoia then I doubt I'll be buying with the price of gas so high. The new Highlander Hybrid is looking better all the time with 31 city / 27 hwy. That's roughly twice the milage compared to the Sequoia / Tundra. Cutting my gas bill in half is much more important to me than driving a big gas sucking SUV with a 10K tow rating. This is my last post here (unless by some miracle the Sequoia gets 17/20+). Good luck to all.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    If you want the best mpg with a SUV with 10,000 lb tow rating then look for a used 2005 diesel Excursion. The 2008 Sequoia should get about the same mpg as the 2008 Tahoe and Expedition with 5.3 and 5.4 V8's.
    I guess its all in the eye of the viewer. If you want a big SUV to haul a trailer or anything you are going to pay for that capacity. That is my problem. The seq will not be the car we drive all the time. That would be the honda Fit. If you don't need the towing capacity but the size to haul people inside there are a world of other vehicles that fit that need.

goold luck
    Toyota has kept me waiting too long...I'm moving on. This weekend I'm buying a 2008 Buick Enclave. This vehicle is amazing - it has the interior of a Lexus, the exterior of an Audi and the classic quiet ride of a Buick. Price and gas mileage trumps the Sequoia too, and on top of it all I'm not sacrificing interior space. I'm under 30 years old and my friends think I'm crazy to want a Buick. I have a feeling they will feel differently when they see THIS Buick.

I waited years for the new Tundra to come out, just to be terribly disappointed with the seat configuration of the CrewMax (I need seats that fold, not slide). Now I've been waiting months for more information on the new Sequoia, but sorry Toyota...by keeping me in the dark, you've forced me into another's arms. I can't wait another 6 months just to be disappointed again.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    Comparing a 2008 Buick Enclave to a 2008 Sequoia is like comparing the 2007 Tundra pickup to a Chevy Colorado pickup.
    true to a point....and then some people aren't very patient are they? But I guess it's whatever suits your needs.