Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• ccooke70ccooke70 Member Posts: 31
    Why are you people hating? I got the platinum. Know why? Becasue I liked it.

You are right, they sticker for around 60K. If you pay that, you have issues. I never pay over invoice for any car I have buy. I traded my Lexus LX470 for it. That SUV is up in the 70K range now. The Sequoia Platinum rides almost as good as the Lexus did and includes many of the features I grew to love in the Lexus. It has more room and a more useful cargo area and 3rd row. I looked at the land cruiser on a lot here and that was 70K.

I love the Sequoia. Just got back from a weekend golf trip. 4 guys, 4 sets of clubs, luggage, coolers, and a few other items completely filled up the cargo area. The Sequoia rode like a dream the entire way with that full load inside. It has the most leg room I have seen in any SUV. That's all 3 rows. The guys on the trip made several comments on the way it rode and the amount of room and commfort they had. It got better gas mileage than my Lexus ever did on that same trip each year.

For me, it was what I wanted. I did not think twice about writing the check to pay for it. I got it for invoice(53K loaded) and got a great trade. I have now put 4500 miles on it and it simply rocks.

As for the comment on 52 - 53 K being treaded like chump change... Go find a SUV that can compare to this one for under 50K. I looked at them all. Drove them all. This had what I wanted and I felt the price was fair based on others in that group. If you want the features mentioned by several of the posts right before this one, you are going to pay 50+ for it.

I get supplier pricing from GM and would have paid right at 50K for the Denali. I liked that SUV, but it just did not make sense to me. I would have had no cargo room unless I wanted to remove 2 seats and take up room in my garage. Guess what? That sucks. The same goes for the Caddy, and Tahoe. When you take out those seats, you are still stuck with a cargo area that's not great. you now have large ruts in the floor that prevent a level area. Ie, groceries tip over like mad. The only fix for this is to move to the Denali XL. That's just too big feeling for me. Others love them and that's great. That's why there are so many choices out there.

To each their own.
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    And maybe you paid low 50's for that "luxury" Platinum Sequoia, but the time you are done with the loan, it'll be over 60.

By the way I paid cash for my Platinum and you are right that everyone on the forum is in a different economic situation. There are people on this forum that view $55K as a major investment and want to feel good about themselves by being able to impress their friends and associates with a truly luxurious vehicle, or by being able to climb Mt. McKinnley in it. There are also some of us that spend that much money taking the family to Europe on vacation and don't expect a truly luxurious vehicle for that amount. We purchased our Platinum as a "family mover" for when my daughters have friends, dogs, bicyles, etc. that they want to bring to the beach or the soccer fields. Neither my wife, nor myself, use it as our primary daily driver. We picked the Platinum because one of my daughters, age 11, is a car nut and it was the big truck that she liked the best from the commercials and the car magazines. In fact we did not even look at anything else since my daughter was in love with the Platinum. Let me tell you that you have not lived until you see the smile on your young daughter's face after she picked out the "family mover". That smile made the Platinum a "luxury vehicle" in my eyes. I guess what I am saying is that "luxury" is in the eye of the beholder.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Forget the haters and enjoy your Platinum Sequoia. There will always be someone trying to rain on your parade. Like the Mastercard commercial says:
    Toyota Sequoia Platinum: 54K The smile on your daughter's face after she picked the vehicle out herself: Priceless
    :shades:
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "I get supplier pricing from GM and would have paid right at 50K for the Denali. I liked that SUV, but it just did not make sense to me. I would have had no cargo room unless I wanted to remove 2 seats and take up room in my garage. Guess what? That sucks. The same goes for the Caddy, and Tahoe. When you take out those seats, you are still stuck with a cargo area that's not great. you now have large ruts in the floor that prevent a level area. Ie, groceries tip over like mad. The only fix for this is to move to the Denali XL. That's just too big feeling for me. Others love them and that's great. That's why there are so many choices out there."

Good point. I also qualify for Supplier Pricing from GM. I could have bought any of the Suburban platforms (Denali/Escalade/YukonXL) for the actual vehicle cost. This is dealer invoice minus all holdbacks, marketing fees and financing fees which is an outstanding deal. I also had a $3000 rebate from GM if I bought another Sub platform.

It still wasn't enough because I would have had to put up with the lousy seat arrangement and no legroom in either the 2nd or 3rd row. I think GM shot themselves in the leg badly by not updated the Subs with IRS and designing better seating configuration and better legroom. Afterall .... why go through the trouble of buying such a large vehicle if your passengers are going to be uncomfortable.

The Plat Sequoia was an easy call for me after shopping everything else on the market and I think it will be for anyone else looking at suvs in this price range and above. One honest look at the interior design and spacing is easy enough justification to pick the Sequoia over any other suv, "luxury" or "non-luxury", on the market.
    Here's a curious question. I was trying to figure out how to turn the DRLs on or off. I checked the manual and couldn't find anything specific about the switch location. I called the dealer and he said it should be on the very end of the headlight "stalk". I told him that there are only 2 switches on that stalk. The outer most switch has off, a "dot' for parking lights, a headlight beam symbol for "on" and "Auto". The 2nd switch is "off" or "on" for the fog lights.

There does not appear to be a switch for the DRLs at least on my 08 Sequoia. This was an option on my vehicle and was listed on the window sticker as $40 for the DRL on/off switch. The dealer couldn't figure it out over the phone and said he'd call back. He called me back today and said he checked the 10 Sequoias on the lot. All of them have the DRL on/off switch listed as an option on the window sticker. None of them have the DRL switch, at least as far as the dealer can figure out. They plan to check with Toyota on Monday.

Anyone else have an 08 Sequoia with the DRL on/off option and have a switch on the stalk or anywhere else? Mack, any thoughts??
  • gcmillsgcmills Member Posts: 6
    OK, I have disconnected all speakers and it is not coming through the speakers....i have isoloated the noise because it also happens upon cold start. at startup, there is a high pitch whine coming from the engine compartment near the firewall on the passenger side. It stays on for about 30 seconds then goes off. I guess proximiy made it sound like it was coming through the speakers.
    question - what comes on at cold start in that location that also would make the noise right around 2000 rpms? When I have cruise on, the rpm's settle at 2000 rpms (74mph) and the noise is constant. It comes and goes as the throttle feathers maintianing speed. Could the throttle actuator do this?

please help!!!!!!
  • seq4lifeseq4life Member Posts: 7
    I noticed your comment about your growing family. Just curious why you chose the Platinum over the Limited when you lose a seat. Now, this question is coming from an owner of a 2008 Limited who has a family a seven and there is always a friend wanting to tag along. Maybe your fam is not quite as large ;) Just curious :confuse: Is the interior that Red something :confuse:
    " noticed your comment about your growing family. Just curious why you chose the Platinum over the Limited when you lose a seat."

I think you've possibly confused me with another poster. I do not have a growing family (mine is actually "shrinking" as my oldest just graduated from college and one is away in college). My youngest is 14 and we take alot of his friends to sports events etc.

"Maybe your fam is not quite as large Just curious Is the interior that Red something"

Yes the interior is the red rock interior in the pictures I posted earlier. I'm OK with seating for 7 vs 8. I was more interested in some of the Plat exclusive features such as memory seats/mirrors/steering wheel position. I also wanted the adjustable suspension, A/C front seats, heated 2nd row seats and black carpeting which are only available on the Platinum. Giving up 1 seat was worth the trade-off for me to get these exclusives that are only available in the Platinum.

Having had 2 previous suvs with light colored carpet I did not want to go back to that "stain environment" again. Unfortunately the Limited is only available in either light gray or light tan carpeting vs the black carpeting that comes with the Red Rock interior.
    It's funny you should ask. We were trying to figure this out yesterday. We (me and a few of my fellow sales folks) Were trying to determine when the DRL go on and off. I found that they come on when you shift from park to reverse or drive. I don't recall seeing a DRL OFF legend on the headlight switch but I will check tomorrow.
    Also I believe the window sticker only lists RL Daytime running lights but no on/off switch. I just read the description on buyatoyota.com and it does mention a switch but it looks like they are talking about the light sensor on the dash that will switch from DRL's to low beams or high beams depending on driving conditions.
    Mack
    Mack, FYI, I'm reading directly from the window sticker of my 08 Platinum Sequoia. Under Optional Equipment it has the code "RL" followed by "Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with On/Off feature" and then the price of "$40". If the "On" is automatic, I'm just not sure how the "Off" function of this option works since there doesn't appear to be a switch. Let us know what you find out in the shop tomorrow.
    Understood ;) Does your screen name reference your 08 :confuse: I asked because that is my nickname for my 08. It just looks like a "fatboy" :D. If married does your wife get stared at like she is from out of space, especially from men :confuse:
    that is when she is driving the 08.
    "Understood Does your screen name reference your 08 I asked because that is my nickname for my 08. It just looks like a "fatboy" . If married does your wife get stared at like she is from out of space, especially from men "

Now that was a good laugh. No... my screen name is one I use for another forum and I just used it here as well. It stands for h=Harley d=Davidson fatboy=the harley motorcycle model I ride. My wife doesn't drive the Sequoia as she much prefers her Avalon (soon to also be replaced). If anything, my wife occasionally looks at me as though I'm from outer space but that's another story for the "marital bliss" forum.
    I looked at all Sequoias this morning and there is no DRL OFF switch on any of them. What I discovered and you guys and gals may want to look at the window sticker again. It says "RL Daytime running lights with on/off function." not switch. Looking further into it, the DRL's are the turn signals and they come on automatically at a reduced intensity.
    The lights auto off feature cuts off the system and automatically turns the lights off after 30 seconds or if the remote lock switch is pressed.
    So there you have it.
    :)
    Mack
    L.O.L...it has been great posting with u.
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    I am interested in finding out what discounts to MSRP are being offered in Canada.
    I am looking at a Limited without technology package.
    The MSRP on that vehicle before the $2,000 green tax is $ 54,200.

Has anybody recently purchased a Limited in Canada ?
  • josephd05josephd05 Member Posts: 46
    I just want to add my two cents here. I lease a 2006 4runner V8 Limited with all the bells and whistles. I am also 6'4" tall. If i had ANY children, I would use it as an excuse to get the Sequoia. I think it's a beautiful truck! I believe Motor Trend just had a comparo with the Expedition, Tahoe and Armada and the Sequoia won hands down. Also one thing you didn't mention, the Toyota will have much better resale than the GM or Nissan truck for that matter. This is the reason I am buying out my truck, the value is worth more then the buyout. In any case, good luck with your Sequoia and don't listen to the negativity. Some people will buy a turd because it's german.
    Sorry, not a clue :confuse:
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I completely agree with your comments. I drove the LX 570, the Landcruiser and the sequoia platinum. THe platinum is a luxury vehicle (perhaps you can look at Edmunds first drive if you have any doubts). It is also an excellent vehicle and when you consider price and performance it is as good as the LX or the Landcruiser. It is a lot better than cadillac escalade, mercedes 450 or anything else you can think of if you are looking for a large SUV.

I did not buy this vehicle to impress my neighbors (you need a BMW or Mercedes) but it is an excellent vehicle which will hopefully run 150-200k miles for m.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    "it is as good as the LX or the Landcruiser."

Whoa!! That is quite a statement. I'm going to have to check that out. The fact that the front end looks like a Tundra causes me some doubts but we will have to keep an open mind.
    If you're evaluating interior legroom and spacing for passengers than I would say the Sequoia is superior to the LX or LC. If flexibility of interior seating is your criteria for the best combination of seating and hauling than the Sequoia wins hands down over the LC or LX.
    My most important feature is smoothness and quietness of the ride. For hauling I have a Nissan Titan, for go fast I have a vette. I would consider a LS460 but somehow cars just don't do it for me anymore.
  • traderhaltraderhal Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up a platinum over the weekend for

$50,000 msrp of $58,095.

My biggest concern was that there may be incentives starting on april 1.
    I agree with that statement. For my money I would take the Sequoia over the LX or LC. On the previous gen I would go with the LC.
    Mack
    There will be. ;)
    Mack
  • vernschillingevernschillinge Member Posts: 66
    There will be.
    Mack

Awesome. I hope they include rebates? I have a Platinum on order and specifically made by dealer notate on my buyers order that should the manufacturer release any rebates, they were mine to keep!.
    You're entitled to any rebates to the customer that are in effect at the time of purchase. If the vehicle is not on the lot and it's the last day of the month you can do your paperwork to take advantage of the incentives and just pick your vehicle up when it comes in.
    Mack
  • vernschillingevernschillinge Member Posts: 66
    Mack, its April 1. Any update on incentives?
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    don't new incentives come out on the 3rd?
    Only 1.9% apr for 36 months. This is usually followed by rebates so I'll check again mid month and see what's next.
    Mack :shades:
  • bportlandbportland Member Posts: 12
    I got an e-mail from a Toyota sales rep that said they placed financing incentives on the Sequoia, but not cash incentives. They are apparently 1.9% to 36 months, 2.9% to 48 months and 3.9% to 60 months on approved credit.

Pretty weak incentives if you ask me. I am guessing they will see if this boosts sales enough (which it likely will not) and then they will offer cash as well. We will see.
    You call 3.9% for 60 months weak? You must be used to the massive incentives the domestics offer. \ Mack
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    I agree! Bank rates are right around 6.0% so you're getting a nice cut in that rate.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Seems for SET they went up. Used to be $399 last month for a SR5 48 month lease, and now it's $419. Doesn't seem like they aren't offering any help that way.
    Yes. Shop around, with fed rates dropping, so are auto loan rates. I have used Pentagon Federal Credit Union for loans in the past, you don't have to be in the military to use them, just need an account (which you can open online). PFCU is currenly offering 4.25% for 72 months on new car loans. I will take an extra 12 months for a .26% increase. I would take cash over this offer in a heart beat. Here's the link to PFCU (I also have an equity line with them): https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/loans/vehicleLoans/newAutoLoans.asp
    By the way, no, I don't work for PFCU, I am an attorney. And I agree that the rate Toyota is offering is good, just not a huge incentive relative to other rates you can find in the market place right now. Gotta love the Internet, makes shopping around for rates much easier.
    I was hesitant to buy it with incentives around the corner but i suspect that with the average sequoia on the lot for over 100 days rebates will follow.
    You think that will be dealer specific, regional, or national?
    I think Mac knows this better than anybody in this forum, but I would think it would be regional at a minimum and most likely offered nationally.
    It would be regional. I believe there are 9 or 12 regions. With two being privately owned, (Southeast and Gulf States) the other regions are still controlled by Toyota Motor Sales USA and the mother country Japan. SET and Gulf states do whatever they want.
    Mack
    Interesting. Here one company has the distributorship for the state and Guam. They also own all the dealerships. Something that was worked out with Mr. Toyoda back in the early 60s.
  • ness5575ness5575 Member Posts: 29
    My dealer told me that memory seats are only available on the platinum model. I am holding out hope that someone here might know of a way to get those on a Limited?? The Platinum is a little more than we were hoping to spend on a new suv.

My wife and I share the vechicle and I am over a foot taller than her so these are pretty important to us. Seems weird to me that memory seats wouldn't be standard (or at least available!) on such an expensive suv...
    Memory seats are only available on the Platinum. The memory position includes the seat, mirrors and steering wheel position. Each memory position can also be programmed to a specific key fob so that the memory position will be engaged when a particular fob is used to unlock the vehicle.
    yes thats correct the plat has memory seats the limited does not.

i paid 50k for a platinum with dvd .. the marginal cost over a fully loaded limited was around 2k
  • hanoverkenhanoverken Member Posts: 30
    I can't seem to get the Homelink system to pickup my garage door opener. It's a "rolling code" type and I followed the directions to a "T". It worked fine with my Saab 9-7x, but the Toyota refuses to work. Any ideas on how to program it? Opener is Sears, and as I said worked with a homelink in the Saab.

Thanks,

Ken W.
    Its a little tricky but follow the instructions below in the exact order.

Hold down the #1 & #3 door openers on mirror until all codes are cleared. Flashing red.
    Hold the garage door opener controller up against homelink mirror with battery storage facing away from mirror.
    Activate garage door opener controller and the button on the homelink mirror you want activated simultaneously until the red light flashes. Might take 15secs.
    Put your handheld garage door opener controller away. You're now done with it.
    Go to garage door opener motor in garage. Find "activation" button on the unit.
    Press memory activation button on motor. You'll have about 20-30 secs for the next step.
    Now press button on the mirror that you previously mated to the controller and press it until the garage door goes up or down. Should activate within a few seconds of holding the button on the mirror.
    Repeat process for additional garage door openers.

Let me know if these steps work.
    It that doesn't work then go to:link title
    I put in "brand not listed" on the garage controller although they do list Craftsman as one of the manufacturers. So if the one I linked you to doesn't work then go back to the beginning and try the Craftsman. It's easy to do. On some you might need a second person to push the button on the garage unit unless you are very fast to run into the garage and back to the vehicle. It only gives you a few seconds.
    Mack
  • hanoverkenhanoverken Member Posts: 30
    Hd,

Worked like a charm. Your instructions were just a little different than the owner's manual in that they said to press and release the Homelink button 2 or 3 times after hitting the memory button on the opener. You said to press and hold and that did the trick - thanks!

More on my deal later...many thanks to you for your insights.

Ken W.
    Glad to hear the steps I outlined worked for you. I found the instructions in the manual for rolling codes simply to be either unclear or wrong. Trial and error got to the solution I outlined earlier.
    I go away for a week and only 2 posts on this thread? Must be that everyone is extremely satisfied with their new Sequoia and no problems or questions have popped up?
    Mack