Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    I'll be the first to admit they are very different vehicles. Heck, it's surprising even to me that I like the Enclave so much. In the last 12 months I've gone from wanting the Tundra (I'd go so far as to say I was a Tundra advocate - telling everyone I knew about the new redesign), to waiting around for facts about the new Sequoia, to buying an Enclave.

I guess it's the evolution of a car buyer. I can't explain it either, but at the end of the day I'm getting a vehicle that fits my needs perfectly. Everybody has different things they want in a vehicle. I am a huge Toyota fan (and will remain that way) but they just don't have a vehicle in production right now that gives me everything the Enclave does.

Maybe I'll be back for the 2016 Sequoia. Best of luck to you all!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Latest word I've heard is late this year, say Thanksgiving. It's of course based on the new CrewMax Tundra with the 5.7L, which is a far better engine than the old 4.7L. Almost-Suburban size? The pic from Edmunds seems to confirm this.

Fuel Economy. It would be great if they sprung something magical on us but I don't see it right away for three reasons..
    ..big heavy rectangular hunks of steel with big V8 engines will always have mediocre-to-poor fuel economy;
    ..a diesel seems the best option right away but they haven't given the slightest inkling of when a diesel will be available;
    ..GM seems to have staked out the hybrid technology for large vehicles. I'm certain that GM has multiple patents covering its technology. Toyota will have to come up with something else that works in heavy vehicles. So far not a peep.
  • Options
    luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    well i did rumors of a diesel going into the tundra but as to when that happens, who knows. And you're right, GM seems to have a leg up as far as hybrids for big SUVS. For the moment. I have to admit if i were to leave toyota i'd go to GM. I think they're the best American outfit out there; certainly they make buying a big SUV with hybrid option attractive.
  • Options
    reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    I called Toyota and asked a rep about the arrival date of the 2008 Sequoia. I was told it will be available in late Sept/early Oct of 2007. I have a 2004 Escalade ESV which comes off lease in November. I work with dogs and need to carry cages as well as kids. So far the old GM body seems to hold the most. The new Escalade second row seats don't fold flat. I am thinking the new Sequoia will be almost Surburban sized. The Ford Expedition EL just doesn't impress me. Hope Toyota comes up with great redesign.
  • Options
    hottoyofanhottoyofan Member Posts: 9
    I knew Toyota had something new and exciting up their sleeve. Odds are it won't be in the 2008 but it could show up in the 2009. I'm sure that is why Toyota was confident enough to build bigger. They knew they had new engine/diesel/hybrid technology being released that would raise gas mileage. I'll definetly be leasing an 08 in atticipation of changing out to an 2009 or 2010 as the new engine is introduced.
  • Options
    Where did you hear about the new engine? And why not wait til 2009 or '10 if you're just going to swap it out? Seems like a waste of money to lease for a year or two. Leases are bad deals anyways, unless you have a business.
  • Options
    I think it is amazing the dealers know nothing of an update....most in this area don't know much about the cars they sell.

Is there any way to find out how much larger the 2008 will be? I heard it might be more "Surburban" sized.
  • Options
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/Comments/2800?
    this is what it supposedly looks like. And yes you are correct. It is supposed to be somewhere between tahoe and suburban in size.
  • Options
    On right side of INSIDELINE home page. I NEED to get into an 08 Sequoia... I've been waiting to get rid of my 02 Seqouia for 3 years as people kept saying the new model was coming out. Leases are better short term deals. You'll pay less in a lease than the depreciation in the first two years (more so for $40,000 plus values)... especially during a new model switch... less buyers will want an older model.
  • Options
    sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    Waiting!!! I also heard the rumors that the new model was coming out "this year". I have a 93 Ford Bronco have wanted to trade it in on a NEW 2005 Sequoia which I thought would be the Next Generation Sequoia but it wasn't. I am still waiting on the Next Generation Sequoia hopefully my long wait will pay off but I can't wait too much longer...
  • Options
    that's probably true, although you're limited in the amount of mileage you can put on and even down payments for leases are rising. I still think it is a bad deal but sometimes they work for people. I did it once, won't do it again.
  • Options
    ...soon be over..i hear somewhere between September and November but i guess time will only tell...toyota is certainly keeping the wraps on the new Sequoia. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it. Personally I am going to wait for the '09 or '10 model before i buy. I want to see if there are any bugs with the new model, plus i want to see if they are going to make any changes after the first year. It's tough, but I think I can handle the wait. I have an '04 Toyota 4Runner that runs perfectly so it's not like my ride is going to break down or anything...
  • Options
    petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I too am waiting for the '08s I have a '01 limited. What is nice about "getting the bugs out" is that the '07 Tundra is the proving ground for the engine and drivetrain as they have what the seq will have this year. We have already heard of an engine problem in the new v8 that had to be fixed. I need the new towing capacity but am not thrilled with a longer vehicle. It may make me look at other vehicles like Ford Expedition or Nissan Armada. like to consider everything....
  • Options
    ymrylymryl Member Posts: 1
    I see people posting that they need tow capacity but that they do not desire a longer vehicle all the time. I have to ask, what are you towing that you need a 10,000 pound towing capacity without needing a long wheelbase to control it?

I currently own an Armada and I personally cannot wait for the new Seqouia to come out so I can trade in the POS.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Hey, I'm glad you bought the Buick. Tooo many people are buying 14mpg SUV's when they don't really need them. If the Enclave meets all your needs then you really don't need a Sequoia anyway.
  • Options
    wow so there is something wrong with the 5.7L? what was the problem with it? I like the Ford Expedition but I thought they should have changed the styling a bit. It looks kind of drab. Although it was rated better than a Suburban although not really sure that's saying much. So what do you think of the Armada?
  • Options
    so what is it about the Armada that you don't like? I thought Nissan products were pretty decent. But maybe measured against Toyota that isn't saying too much.
  • Options
    yeah i totally agree..i live out here in LA and you should see all these people driving Excursions, Suburbans Tahoes and even Sequoias that don't need them. It's crazy. But it's a free country and people are free to buy whatever they want.
  • Options
    petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I can't remember but I think it had something to do with the drive shaft, the part that the pistons push on to make the engine go. Not easely fixed when broken. I think they found out it was a distributor who had difictive parts and they worked it out that way, it was not a design problem.
  • Options
    well that's good to know. I imagine if it was a quality-issue problem they would have recalled a whole bunch of tundras. I am sure that would have looked real good for toyota!
  • Options
    jack8383jack8383 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just emailed Toyota about the 2008 Sequoia and here was their response.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate the opportunity to address your email.

We apologize; unfortunately information on the 2008 Sequoia is currently unavailable at this time. Toyota will release information such as styling, specifications, feature & options, closer to the launch date. We currently do not have a tentative release date. Typically the new models arrive in the fall. To receive information as it becomes available, please subscribe to our Current and Future Models FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions). We are committed to manufacturing high quality vehicles that exemplify innovative design, styling, dependability and durability. In an effort to maintain the quality that is evident in our previous vehicle models, we continue to pay close attention to the detail in our future models. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200706130800. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
  • Options
    The truth of the subject is that the owners and GM's know what is coming and they intentionally discourage the sales staff from learning anything about it until just before launch. The rationale is "Sell what's on the lot and forget what's coming in 6 months or a year. Sales are needed now"

To see what the new Sequoia might be like go drive a new 5.7L Tundra CrewMax. It's that simple. Finish off the bed and you've got the new Sequoia.

BTW the 'camshaft breakage' issue on the 5.7L Tundra's affected 20 units. It was a supplier metal production failure that was thought to have been caught but 20 got through.
  • Options
    Toyota is close-mouthed on most new launches. How about the new Corolla next spring or the new Sienna next spring or the next Prius, etc, etc.

Toyota, like the retail outlets, wants you to buy the current models and not wait for the next iteration - at some time in the future.
  • Options
    toyotamiketoyotamike Member Posts: 7
    I wish we did get the info 6 mo or a year in advance. Truth is most customers have the launch date before I do through sites like this. I need new Sequoia info for my personal car AND for customers, and I don't know any more than y'all, that's why I'm here.
  • Options
    u045777u045777 Member Posts: 33
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121484#3

Check out the middle photo. Is that an extented version or are they all going to be that long!
  • Options
    It very well could be. If you look at the 1st and 2nd photos, the 2nd picture looks actually longer than the first, unless it is just an optical illusion. But it certainly does look as big as a Suburban. They did say it would be between a Tahoe and Suburban. Looks closer to a Suburban if you ask me!
  • Options
    pncguypncguy Member Posts: 4
    Interesting... They're billing it as a 2009!

Well, we just bought an '07 and I think I am glad I didn't wait. I don't need something THAT big! I need seating for 8, room for a stroller behind the third seat, and the ability to tow (really tow, not a minivan type tow) a heavy pop-up camper.
  • Options
    jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
  • Options
    2009??? It seems that every time there is a spy photo of the Sequoia another year has been added.

Let's just hope that the long anticipated Sequoia really comes out this Fall and goes on sale shortly thereafter and not as a 2010 model.

We have waited long enough!
  • Options
  • Options
    A Sequoia hybrid!!!!!!!!! :)
    Suddenly the new model doesn't seem so large in those spy photos.
    Toyota might finally be giving GM some full size competition! First giving us a new full size SUV (and truck) with full size gas sucking power. Then throwing in a hybrid power system into the full size SUV (and truck too???).

Looks like I just may hold off on my '08 Highlander purchase and wait for the new "Flagship" Sequoia hybrid. :shades:

Toyota: (if you are reading this) please keep us informed on the up and coming Sequoia Hybrid details so some of us don't go out and foolishly buy a Tahoe Hybrid. Thanks!
  • Options
    yeah that's pretty cool. About time Toyota offered a full-size with hybrid technology. After that choice, why would anybody buy a hybrid Highlander if you can have the Sequoia? I actually like the shape- I hope they offer lots of extras for the '09 Sequoia. I'm guessing it won't come out til next year, which is fine by me..I'm willing to wait a little longer. I don't see my '04 Runner breaking down anytime soon..
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    After that choice, why would anybody buy a hybrid Highlander if you can have the Sequoia?

Well some actually would have a hard time caughing up the additional $15,000 it will probably cost for the Sequoia. I assume if the article is correct then the Hybrid model Sequoia may only come "loaded"? If so, that's a $50,000 vehicle.
  • Options
    true enough. And most people probably wouldn't need the bigger engine or size anyways, unless they're pulling a boat or a 5th wheel, or got 7 kids in tow.
  • Options
    aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    Everything sounds great and I am ready to buy one. The question is when will the redesigned Sequoia hit the show room floor? Toyota has waited too long to refresh the Sequoia. My wife has a 2003 4runner v8 (great vehicle) and we needed a larger truck twelve months ago but we’ve been holding-out for the new Sequoia. If it doesn’t come out this fall, we will probably do what many people have been doing (according to the message boards) …..purchase a deeply discounted GM Tahoe or Yukon for $42k. It is a decent second choice and from what I’ve been hearing – the current Sequoia has dropped-off the sales map. My point – Toyota needs to pick-up the pace and get this vehicle out to the market if they want to be competitors in this segment.
  • Options
    I agree. I'm not asking for specs and info just a release date... Providing a release date doesn't give competitors an edge or leak anything of value. If it's in the forseeable future.. as in 3-6 months say that. There is actually more damage (Even more damage than not selling the remaining inventory)when nothing is given because others won't wait especially with a hybrid on the horizon. Look at Apple.. hint hint... 6 months in advance they set a date for the iphone. No details.. just a date.. The atticipation was phenominal and it kept people like me from going out and getting something from a competitor so that I could show up the first week and get the best.
  • Options
    I too am being held up by the folks at Toyota! I just spoke with them and it seems they are holding off until 2009. The new Land Cruiser is coming this Fall and they are taking orders on it. When I spoke to the people at corporate they said it definitely won't be out this Fall and from what I gathered it will be no earlier than Spring as a 2009 model. Oh well, I am disappointed too.
  • Options
    Spring sounds about right. One of these forums mentioned that the new Sequoias will be rolling into dealerships the end of Feb. (for gas engine) and April-May for the 'Flagship' Hybrid model. ;)
    PS: If a loaded 4x4 '08 Highlander is $42K and a loaded Highlander Hybrid is going to be around $46K then I doubt many people will be able to afford the new redesigned Sequoia fully loaded at around $50K with the Hybrid approching $60K :(
    Here comes my late Friday night rant...(Do not read if you are politically or anatomically correct)
    Who says the declining value of the US dollar is good for the U.S.? Mix together high energy prices, high housing and food costs, falling real estate values, stalling wages, rising unemployment, tightening credit policies, declining education, dissappearing healthcare, increasing crime rates, corrupted politicians, a falling US dollar, and you've got the perfect storm for hard times setting in. Instead of buying a new, gas sucking, tire and brake and oil eating, depreciating, recall effecting, $40K+ SUV... I'm going to keep my old car on the road as long as it can and with the money I'll be saving I'm gonna dig myself a bomb shelter under my garage and stash some gold and silver coins, some guns, and lots of spam! My wife and kids will prolly leave me because I won't bye them no fancie new vehickle to drive round in. Then I'll hafta change my name to Mater or sometin. (Like Ta'mater but without the Ta'.)...
    Or maybe I'll just buy my family a nice used suv for around $25K and start going back to church giving 10% of my income happily every week to the velvet lined colection basket and praying to God that everything will be OK.
    But that would be no fun...
    Maybe I'll just start picking up bottles and cans from the side of the road and buy the new shiny Sasquatch come Feburary and skip the church thing. God help me decide!
    :confuse: God help us all!
  • Options
    aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    Here is the latest information that I have heard regarding the new Sequoia. I’ve talked to three different dealers (all in different regions of the country) and they are expecting the new Sequoia to be available for sale this September. They are expecting details to be released this in August. One of the dealers pointed out that 07’ Sequoia production has been cut-back to a bare minimum this year in anticipation of the new replacement. Which answers why most dealers do not have many 07 Sequoia’s in stock and no aggressive rebates. By the way, I can recall seeing only two 07’ Sequoia LTD’s (recognizable by the chrome mirrors) on the road this year.
  • Options
    i agree. I don't see too many being advertised or sold;certainly not at the dealership i go to. Who'd want to buy an '07 when the '08 is so much bigger (though that does not necessarily mean better). I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Options
    There are 8 models forseen for what will probably be a December launch (subject to change )

2WD Models
    SR5 4.7L
    SR5 5.7L
    LTD 5.7L
    PLATINUM 5.7L

4WD Models
    SR5 4.7L
    SR5 5.7L
    LTD 5.7L
    PLATINUM 5.7L
  • Options
    Thank you for the information.

Do you know what the "Platinum" is going to be, I have never heard of this before. Normally, the LTD has been the top of the line so could this be a higher level?
  • Options
    the way that message was written it would seem that the Platinum would the highest level..it would be nice it had some of the features of the '08 Lexus- like the music hard drive,etc..I know that it will be unveiled at the LA Auto Show in November. I am definitely looking forward to seeing it!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    kcockcoc Member Posts: 10
    Platinum is top of line. Includes laser cruise, heated/ventilated front seats, heated middle row buckets, power folding third row, 9" dvd monitor, unique 20" aluminum wheels, 7" nav screen, telescope/auto tilt steering wheel. Was told it would been shown at Sema (?) w/ conv FJ and cor. Placed a deposit for Feb/08 delivery. Shown as an 08 model.
  • Options
    regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    Do you know if the 2008 Sequoia will be available with XM (or Sirrius) Satellite radio? I hope so. It would be a shame to have to suction cup an XM Radio receiver to the windshield of a 2008, especially when it is available now in most GM's.
  • Options
    regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    Also, do you know if the 2008 Sequoia will have a full size spare tire, mounted under the rear of the vehicle, or the smaller space saver tire?
  • Options
    kcockcoc Member Posts: 10
    Looks like the same radio options that the Tundra has. No mention of the spare tire. Platinum will also have a power hatch.
  • Options
    Kcoc,

Where did you find information regarding what options come with the Platinum model?

And did your dealer have a price list available when you placed a deposit?

Thank you for the information that you have already provided.