Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Although looks are subjective, in my opinion the new 08 design is a drastic improvement over the outgoing model. It appears much more refined and upscale. The exterior dimensions are only slightly larger than those of the old model and the interior is substantially more spacious. Plus I prefer the shifter in the middle console rather than on the column. I think the 08 will prove to be a success despite gas prices. To all you SUV protestors, don't be hatin' when I come rolling by in my brand new 08 Sequoia PLATINUM!
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    oh u mean like the ones that protested the Sequoia at the LA Auto SHow?? LOL
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    A 2 seat Corvette probably drinks more gas than a 8 seat Sequoia with 5 golf bags in the trunk. If it's a gas/environment concern, people should be against 2 seaters not SUVs.
  • peterraopeterrao Member Posts: 4
    Toyota has been disappointing in it's styling-with the Highlander, Matrix and now the Sequoia. The seat colors are awful as well.
    Hope they improve styling with future models. At this point, they have made blunders with the above models.
  • desequoiadesequoia Member Posts: 1
    i knew about this sequoia since april of this year. but i thought i would have been relished in 2009 but i already have my answer christmas of this year the new sequoia will hit the show rooms! keep it up toyota and thanks alot! i like this sequoia! :)
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    Ok, I found a fully loaded Platinum in the color choices I like... except for the laser guided cruise control which I would have preferred, why not right? Anyway, all these dealers ask for is a deposit and its getting old... Any suggestions on what to ask for? I mean this would be the first vehicle I paid full msrp for and I don;t see why I should do that... would you ask for $2,0000 off MSRP, some set number above invoice, a bunch of accessories... I mean we should get something off this damn vehicle... I paid $500 over invoice on my last Sequioa... I know the pricing info isn't out yet, but I want to lock in the one that is coming in because of tax purposes... I should be able to walk in and say Yes, I'll put down a deposit, but I'm gonna need this much off or at this price over invoice... Any suggestions?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "A 2 seat Corvette probably drinks more gas than a 8 seat Sequoia with 5 golf bags in the trunk." Actually, no it won't. Corvettes are actually pretty good on fuel economy - epa ratings for it run from 16/26 to 15/24. Corvettes are quite light (about 3200 lbs), have a small frontal cross section, a low coefficient of aerodynamic drag, and a very high 6th gear, giving them surprisingly good economy.
    He had a valid point though: Sports cars should be targeted as well... CMON, look at the new M3. Very little drag... But the high-revving V8 engine, light vehicle or not, aerodynamic or not, is just plain going to be a gas guzzler... But because it is small, fly's under the radar of the tree huggers. Heck I'm all about health and the environment, but when you need to go into the mountains, Move, transport, go on a long vacation, full size SUV's are useful. I just wish more people could use them only 10% of the time when needed rather than as their primary vehicle. I'm optomistic and feel that relatively soon we can switch over to alternative fuels... I don't think another 10-30 years of oil burning is going to make a big difference as long as we definitely make a move relatively soon to alternative fuels...

Anyway, has anyone pre-ordered one of these vehicles for less than MSRP?
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I must be dreaming. There is an email from healthnut with no mention of tax savings. Please don't spoil a good thing. We really miss those emails. :):):)

Just kidding .. no flames pleeease.
    I put a deposit down for one particular vehicle... I got some off MSRP and asked for a free bike rack... Hopefully they will be able to get the vehicle from the other dealer... considering it is still in the assembly stage I suspect they will as I do not believe anyone else snagged it. I'll let you know the color and features once I know I've snagged it :-)
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    Healthnut,

Congratulations on being able to make a decision. We'll be anxious to here what you have ordered.

Where did you find the MSRP?
    the deal was based off the MSRP which is not avail yet :) I have to trust they will not artificially inflate the price... Like charge for something they are not supposed to... They'd have to change the printout of the invoice though, so I don;t think they would do that... but then again...
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    We have both a 2007 Sequoia and a 2001 2 seater Corvette and believe it or not, on long trips we have gotten 22-25 in the Corvette (automatic), just depending on if the roof was off, and the Sequoia (4x4), well, on long trips if we keep the speed down, we have gotten between 16-18.1 mpg, so that theory will not work, sorry:-(
    By the way, this was supposed to be a second vehicle... someone plowed into my M3 and destroyed it 6 weeks ago... So looks like I have to hunt for a new 'small' car... to go along with the Sequoia... Still have not heard back from the dealer to confirm that they have made a successful trade with the other dealer to get the vehicle I want... All I can say it is a fully loaded platinum, all but the laser guided cruise control... oh well. So annoying... I would prefer having that but the color choice is something I developed a stong preference for once I saw it on another Toyota. Hopefully I will get word soon. Not sure why it takes more than a couple days to secure the trade and tell me, but I guess by Monday or Tuesday I should get the final word.

That being said I want another M3 for a daily driver and the new M3 looks very nice... I'd wait till Spring but I want the convertibile which won't be out till Q4 of 2008 apparently... Anyone know if it is stupid or even possible to get a one year lease on a pre-owned M3 to hold me for a year? Or maybe I should just get a 2 year lease for an M3 and resist temptation for one year.. :confuse:
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    I had planned on buying but didnt know if Limited or Platinum. My dealer got their first one in yesterday and I drove it. After driving it, I ordered mine.. and boy I can't wait until it comes in. The look/interior is about what I expected as I have seen a lot of pics. What I didn't expect was how fast it is and the throttle response. I use to own a BWM 750il years ago (back when it was a 12 cylinder) and stomping on the Seq accelerator felt just like the Beemer, I kid you not. It definitely has a launch feel to it, very impressive. Not that I look to drive around racing anyone, it just took me by surprise. And if you are into this sorta thing - the exhaust note sounds pretty aggressive as well. All in all I am pretty impressed.
  • juddsonrjuddsonr Member Posts: 15
    3rd,

Where are you located that already has trucks at the dealer. Curious.
    Dealer said car was taken already... none in color I chose before end of dec apparently. He'll search whole country and get back to me... Oh well. I was set on that color after seeing it on another vehicle... :cry:
    northern NJ
    don't worry Healthnut, my take is that dealers are trying to create a buzz by giving the impression that they will be hard to get. (so they get top $) my buddy is the GM and tipped my off that they actually have 17 of them on their way to be in by 12/15.
  • bportlandbportland Member Posts: 12
    Wow. Pricing just was released from Toyota. Almost $56k MSRP on the Platinum 4x4 model. Are people going to shell out that much money for a Sequoia? I am guessing you will see discounts come on line in a few months, or at least by Summer of '08.
  • tino73tino73 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of deal are people getting on the '07's, now that the '08's are out? A 1st offer from a dealer with some decent packages for an 07 SR5 4x4 was $38,500 when invoice is $37,900.
    There is no way you should pay more than $100 over invoice, and I bet you might be able to get it at or below invoice. Find some other dealers with stock and have them bid against each other. They want to move the remaining '07 models bad at this point; look at it this way, you are essentially buying a 1 year old car, so it will depreciate quicker due to the fact we are at the end of that model year. I would try and get a slightly used one if at all possible, or get a new one at below invoice. Don't be shy about making low ball offers, the worst they can say is no (then you walk, and then they call you back). Good luck.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Will the Platinum offer a "smart key" system with push button engine start?
    I don't think so
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    Went to the SouthEast Toyota Launch yesterday. I was very impressed with the new version of the Sequoia. Amazingly agile, great pick-up and lots of room.The Land Cruiser was there too!
    I am surprised that they've arrived in NJ already as we do not even have pricing announced in our area yet. Our distro website lists the units on the way though- looks like our first one ia arriving the 18th!
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    A few weeks ago I decided I wanted a 2008 Sequoia. The Highlander and Pilot were not large enough for what I wanted to do as I needed space behind the 3rd row for my dog. Only the Sequoia, Suburban, Yukon XL, etc.

I knew I wanted a Limited with most options, or a Platinum. I thought the 20 inch wheels looked better, but I drive on a dirt road and I am not sure if the lower-profile tires would hurt me. It is such a large vehicle that the 20s really looked good. About two weeks ago I looked at the dealer allocation sheets and considered four localish dealers. All of the vehicles coming in were Limited or Platinum with AWD and nearly every option. Dealers seemed to be allocated either 1 or 2. Wed I knew that pricing came out, so I made them offers. They all at least $53K MSRP. If you want a stripped SR5 it will be a while it seems. I did not want an SR5 because it does not come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel. While I am ok with cloth seats, a plastic steering which is not acceptable. I know you can add it, but I think it might feel too thick or not look factory. I wanted one this year because it would save me an extra $1000 in taxes compared to if I bought in Jan. The dealer nearest me had a black Platinum with a black leather interior (did not even know there was black leather available). It had every option added on top of the base features including remote start, which is not even on the option sheet. MSRP was over $59K. It seemed like a lot but it was still over 10K cheaper than a smaller Land Cruiser, Mercedes GL450, etc. And now with the great aluminum engine and independent suspension and luxury features, it is probably not really inferior in any way.

I am supposed to have it in about two weeks. So I bought a Japanese car on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I bought my 2007 Limited 4X4 two months ago loaded for $4000 under invoice it was right at $10k under MSRP. I have every available option and paid $41,6XX plus TTL. If you are in CA I would recommend the Internet sales at Poway Toyota. I told them to email the best price as I was not coming in to haggle. I sent that out to 9 San Diego dealers. She was the only one that sent a price. It was a fast pleasant transaction. The rest called or emailed a come on down and talk about it response. I wanted something in print in my hand. The only way I have dealt on vehicles the last 4 years.
    They are in NJ Yes and I ordered mine today (black with tan). The three that were on the truck were already sold (a week ago) and per the dealer the three people did so sight unseen. Pricing is as follows (right off my P.O.)> Platinum Base: $55,600 + options of: $ 1670 for rear-seat DVD, $600 Laser Cruise, $40 daytime running lights, $495 remote start, $100 Cold Kit (heavy duty battery, light washer/deicer etc), destination charge $ 685 - + reg/title etc = all in $ 60,266 + tax.
    Sounds identical to mine except I have a black interior. Also have remote start, laser cruise, daytime running lights, rear DVD, cold kit. I am really surprised some dealers have seen these. I did not know any dealer would have one just yet. My dealer said someone put a deposit on their other one, a Limited.
    I had decided that I'd not order the laser cruise, thinking it would be a 1500 to 2500 option. But at 600, I figure why not. Seems very reasonable. Does anyone have experience with it in other toyota products?
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    "all in $ 60,266 + tax"

That is RIDICULOUS! WAY over priced.
    I tend to agree, but it is all about supply and demand, so we will see if these things fly off the lot. History tells us that the initial rush to buy will subside and prices will be closer to invoice and possibly below with rebates. If you can afford it now and don't care about depreciation (which, if you are paying close to MSRP, could be $7-8000 in the first year), then I think it is a sweet SUV.

If someone is dropping 60k on a vehicle, however, they are probably in a financial position that they really don't care about depreciation, right?

Anyone who has bought one, please let us know what you think once you take it home. I would love to buy one, but am probably going to wait a few months for pricing to drop.

Also, from the initial press conference, and the guy's statement that Toyota would have lots more to say in the coming months, I am guessing a hybrid version of the Sequoia will show up closer to spring. I am really interested to see how this new Sequoia does with consumers in light of gas prices and consumer sentiment.
    I have been corresponding with some local dealers about the 2008 Sequoia. Was initially told the best they could do was $1000 off MSRP. I told them thanks but no thanks, and they quickly responded with around $4000 off MSRP. They offered less off the MSRP of the platinum they are getting in since they said there would only be a handful of those in our area, they agreed to take just under $3000 off of it (MSRP of $59,750, offered $56,830).

Just thought I would share this so others could try for a similar deal.
    snw1975 - - Over-priced relative to what ? last year's fully loaded sequioa ? Other vehicles in it's class ? It is about $6-7,000 more than a fully loaded 07 seqioua LTD and with 100 more horsepower, more room, power everything including NAV etc, I actually was surprised it came in under $60k. It is definitely not the same vehicle as last year. It is on par with all other similarly equipped vehicles in its class for price, features and power. The big difference is that I would take TMCC quality with the slower depreciation any day over a Lincoln NAV, GMC Denali or even Mercedes 450 (which has had big problems and has dropped way low in JD Power and best of all, it will cost you $75k for a similarly equipped truck !!!). Believe me, I studied them all before going with the 08 Seq. By the way- - It has much more impact to qualify a statement with some basis in fact, otherwise you sound like you are just blurting out hot-air.
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    Alright I'll bite.

It's way overpriced for a truck that just about everyone thinks is ugly and has awful interior. So pal its over priced for the 2008 Toyota Seqouia! No need to compare to anything else.

Also, if you really think that someone would pay 53K for an '07 Seqouia LTD then you need to go study some more.

You are also way off based on what you consider to be in the Sequoia's class. The Denali and Mercedes 450???? Why because of the $60K sticker??? Those are luxury SUV's, the Sequoia is not. I have owned several Toyota's, the quality is good. However, Toyota has figured out that people like you are obviously willing to fork out $$$$$ for that "quality". The quality is not as good as the premium they are charging in my opinion. Which brings up another topic:

If you want FACT, then get the hell off an internet message board. That is what they are for...OPINIONS.

As for blurting out hot air, it sounds like you are just trying to defend your buying decision, which is understandable, but don't be the pot calling the kettle black.

Based on what your saying it sounds like a sales person would welcome you walking back in the door anytime. I don't know your study habits, but you do realize you bought a new truck at the worst possible time and in the worst possible situation. Or then again....
    I was just comparing the performance of the 6000+ lb 2008 Toyota Sequoia to some sports cars of the past...

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/14341/tested-2008-toyota-sequoia-plat- inum-4wd.html

"We logged a 0-to-60-mph time of 6.6 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 15.2 seconds at 92 mph."

Cars which are about the same or slower:

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm

1968 Chevrolet Corvette 327 7.7 15.6
    Dodge Charger SE 440ci 7.4 15.2
    1977 Ferrari 308 GTB 8.2 17.0 (Magnum PI car)
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTBi Quattrovalvole 6.8 15.2
    1967 Ford Mustang (390ci V8 w/4spd) 7.4 15.6
    1994 Ford Mustang GT 6.7 15.1
    1993 Ford Taurus SHO 7.5 17.0
    1983 Lamborghini Jalpa 7.3 15.4
    1984 Lotus Turbo Esprit 6.6 15.3 (James Bond car)
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 6.6 15.2
    2003 Mini Cooper S, Manual 7.0 15.5
    1991 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (auto) 7.0 15.4
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo 7.1 15.6
  • daallisodaalliso Member Posts: 16
    I do not have any experience with the laser cruise control, on a Toyota or any other vehicle for that matter, but according to Car and Driver it will cause radar detectors to report false positives. Coincidentally from a recent GL450 comparison.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11758/all-the-latest-annoyances.html

Since I live by my Valentine One, for my 911 and current Sequoia, I'm going to have to pass on the laser cruise control option when I place my order.
    here's why I DON'T see the sequoia as overpriced. Ugly? Exterior--maybe a little too derivative from the previous gen sequoia but I found the previous gen to be attractive and remain so throughout its model cycle with minor updates. I feel this new gen model looks pretty good on the outside. Inside--so the dash is kinda bad. My issue is with the silver dash pod which looks cheap. I intend to have mine painted black to match the radio pod color.

The combination of a high output v8 with 6 speed auto, rear independent suspension, power folding third row, and available a/c seats is unique. I've logged a lot of miles in an 07 Denali and it is a great driving SUV. But third row comfort is terrible and the removable seats are not what I'm looking for. Calling a Denali a "luxury" SUV is generous as the only distinction between it and a suburban/tahoe/Yukon is the drivetrain. Fords products have better interior space utilization than GM and the 6 speed is nice but they are underpowered (Lincoln or ford). Nissan/infiniti have a similar story as the fords, but I'll go ahead and call them ugly. Comparing the GL450 with any of these is tough as it is just a step smaller cargo wise but somehow provides the same or better interior comfort for occupants. However I don't want to own one (I'm 30 years old and can't pull off the Benz).

I think the sequoia offers a lot. For me, I'm looking at 2wd, and loaded Denali, QX, and Sequoia are within 1000 MSRP. The Sequoia is the one I want and that is a decision each buyer makes for themselves. Yet when I go to buy in a month or two actual sale price will play into this. Just because I can afford a 60k SIV doesn't mean I am willing to blow a few thousand just to get my truck a few months before the next guy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    like ... just blurting out hot-air

Let's avoid the colorful metaphors as you would relate them to other members and, instead, keep any discussion pertaining to hot air confined to the manifold, exhaust and HVAC. Thanks. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I had a 93 SHO and it felt faster than that. Of course that was 15 years ago and I was 16.

Interesting compilation--I look forward to giving the sequoia a drive. I tried the 08 Land Cruiser last week and was very impressed with the engine and transmission combo.
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    I agree with you and snw1975. I just got to drive all of the vehicles (except the mercedes) side by side in a Toyota Product Launch for the Sequoia. I try to stay objective at these events because I don't want to feel like a test lab rat, but I must say I was still impressed with the Sequoia overall. The vehicles that were there- the 2008 Expedition, the 2008 Armada,and 08 Denali- are the true competition for this vehicle. The Armada actually drove terribly, very bumpy and simply too enormous on the outside without providing the interior space to match. I also don't like that it's based on the Titan which they are discontinuing and NO engine choices! The Denali I will admit felt much more luxurious and will probably get a few sales over the Sequoia because of it, however it didn't brake with confidence like the SEQ, it didn't have the acute handling and turning radius either. I did not like the fact that it lunged forward when braking or that the second row seats were difficult to flip up despite the power option.. The Expedition was much more impressive than they once were-it seems as though Ford thought of every option one would want in such a vehicle segment. However, the third row seat is awkwardly placed(like a folding chair) and the ride still has that rollover feel having too much sway in the turns. Toyota managed to fix the sway problem by using a rigid fully boxed frame and independent suspension.
    I would have been much more impressed with the SEQ. if they had beefed up the interior. Even on the Platinum edition, it was sadly lacking the plush feel I think most buyers will be looking for in this segment. However, overall I think the SEQ was vastly improved. I used to feel as though I were driving a school bus in the previous model, now it is very agile and even seems as though it would be easy to park in tight spaces. The acceleration is fantastic, although a bit noisy and the braking is spot on. With the smart Roll sensing airbags, unibody frame, traction, EBD etc. I am sure the safety will be right up there in the 5 star range with the Ford.
    Should you buy one right off the transport truck? Well, NO. You are going to pay more. Is it worth the money with a little negotiating- well, YES.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Yup, it is interesting just how much performance has improved. I've got a 2003 V8 4WD 4Runner. 0-60 around 7.5 seconds. Mileage runs from 16-18 mpg. Weighs around 4600 lbs. 220 hp and 320 ft lbs of torque from a 4.7l V8.

My first car was a '78 Trans Am, 6.6l V8, 4-speed manual. 0-60 was around 7.5 seconds and mileage was ~12 mpg in the city and 17 mpg highway. At the time, that was considered a fast car.
    I just looked in a Denali and all I saw was a GM vehicle with leather stitched on. I wonder how I will feel about the new Sequoia not being that luxurious inside. My take is I will agree it is not that fancy but not mind. I look for basic quality such as parting lines on molded parts and the quality of the plastics and the feel of the switches. I care very much about look and feel, but don't need fancy and the Denali almost seemed garish. I will say the silver dash makes me think black would have been better.
  • tino73tino73 Member Posts: 4
    Is the invoice price located on the sticker in the vehicle? Will the dealer tell you the invoice price, if not where do I find that?
    Invoice price is not on the sticker. Some dealers will tell you it.
    Some of the dealers are trying to be stingy, so I just keep looking... I've been offered $1500.00 off a platinum with no haggling... I'm looking for $3,000.00 off MSRP minimum. So I'm still waiting. I guess I should call one toyata dealer in every state to see who has what in Stock... It would be great if I could use a dealer locate to find out who has what and then just get it shipped... Ideas?

I'm essentially looking for a Black or Slate...
    It is all supply and demand. If they only have 1 or 2 to sell, and know they can sell it at MSRP, then they should not discount it. If they have more than they can sell, then they need to discount it. What is the most off MSRP anyone has gotten off a Platinum?
  • ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    Just noticed Fitzmall has the MSRP/Invoice/Sales price for a 2008 Limited listed online.Great to see substantial discounts ($3K) off the 08 models and they haven't even arrived yet. Wonder what springtime will bring.
  • regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    I have some questions for 3rd4rnnr re post #372. I am in Canada and the only information the dealer here has is the 7/20/07 info. Were you able to order the "Platinum" model with black exterior and tan(sand beige) interior? I hope so as that is my choice and according to the above information, that combination is only available on the "Limited". Also, is the remote start option factory installed or dealer installed? What is the expected delivery time from time of order? Is the 2nd row bench an option or are Captain's chairs the only choice? What exactly is laser cruise control and how is it different from regular cruise control?

Thanking you in advance.