Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I am looking to buy a black platinum 2008 sequoia with beige interior. My dealer says they are only making the red rock and grey interiors. I saw the list of combinations they are making and it does not have any tan (beige) interiors. Does any of you have this combination?
    I am also in that situation. I have a 2001 sequoia with 167000 miles and would like to buy the new one. My best bet is that they will come up with a diesel and or a hybrid in one year. Unfortunately I cannot wait that long.

If you buy a smaller SUV such as the pilot, explorer or highlander you get a couple more mpg but lose out on space.
  • regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    Hi
    Posting #806 by 3rd4rnnr said he has a black Platinum w/ tan (sand beige) interior on order. I replied to his posting (#807) requesting he post pictures. I am interested in the same color combination but my dealer said the same as yours. I am in Canada, are you? Perhaps different areas or USA can get that combination but it is n/a in Canada.
    It will be interesting to see if 3rd4rnnr gets his.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    yes, i have Black/beige platinum. i had to order about a month ago.
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    sure, I will be happy to post pictures. i will have to figure out how to do it first. can anyone give me a quick and easy way on how to post pics as i have never done it..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Help FAQ explains it better than I can:

Post a photo in the forum.
    ----
    The easiest thing to do is go to your CarSpace page and follow the prompts to upload the photos from your computer to your free CarSpace album. Then we can get fancy from there. :shades:
  • glpmediaglpmedia Member Posts: 1
    According to Toyota Customer Service and posts I've read here, the console is not removable on the platinum models. I find this amusing as I have a 2006 with 2nd row buckets and removed the console from the beginning to ease access to the third row. In fact, I rarely see a Sequoia with 2nd row buckets with the console in place. And Toyota's media release said engineers lived with families to see how they used the current model. What a joke. Now my question as I have not seen a platinum in person yet. Can someone out there with a platinum tell me whether the console can be unbolted and the heated seat wires tucked away? I can't imagine they are supplying two different carpet layouts underneath for the limited and platinum. I'm trying to avoid giving up the driver memory seats by going with a limited as my wife and I switch vehicles often. If memory seats aren't on the limited as I've also read, maybe this engineer was sitting on a couch for 6 months watching Tivo as the families were out in their Sequoia.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    On a similar note, could someone help me figure out, in regards to the 2nd row, what is standard and what is optional for each of the 3 trim levels?

I went to a dealer this week, and they had a few of each trim level. All where the same.

SR5 had bench seating. Limited had bucket seats with no center console. Platinum had captains chairs with center console.

I do have to say, the Limited look lind of odd. THey may not have had the center arm rests down, but it looked kind of like a bench seat, with just the center removed. They weren't really what I would consider captains chairs.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    In my 10 years selling Toyotas the only minor change I recall was to the 2003 4Runner SR5. This came with the gray plastic overfenders as opposed to the painted ones like on the Limited. Toyota received numerous complaints about them and in mid model year they changed them to color key like the Limiteds.

The 2009 will be the same as the 08. I have heard rumors about an extended lenght Sequoia but nothing concrete. Maybe a diesel or hybrid in the future ;)
    Anything I find I will post here first.
    :shades:
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    [quote] According to Toyota Customer Service and posts I've read here, the console is not removable on the platinum models. [/quote]

This is CONTRARY to everything I have heard... It defeates the purpose of the second row captains chairs folding flat... I have always heard that the center console in the second row is removable...

Now if the DAMN AUTO TRANSPORTER would ASSIGN a truck driver to my PLATINUM sitting on the EAST COAST for 4 weeks now, I might actually be able to drive it!!!! I'm STILL waiting for a truck driver to pick up my vehicle posted on the national auto transport board for 4 weeks!!!
    You have it down. SR5 bench, Limited buckets no console, Platinum buckets and center console.
    Mack :shades:
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks as always Mack. So that's the "no if's, and's, or but's" answer. i.e. no additional options on any trim level.

Aaron
    Aaron, I don't know if I understand the question. You mean as far as the center console and bucket seats are concerned? If it's just the center console issue then it's as I posted in the last message.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    I've been inside several Platinums and test driven one. I've also been inside several Limiteds but none with 2nd row captain's chairs. I currently have a Platinum on order for delivery in Feb.

The Captain's chair option in the Limited does not include a center console (it also does not include 2nd row heated seats). The seats do fold flat and level with the 3rd row seat when it is retracted. There is however a gap in the floor between the 2nd row captain's seats when they are folded flat.

The captain's chairs with center console in the Platinum also fold flat and level with the 3rd row when retracted. The center console is not considered a removable unit as it incorporates the wiring for the heated seats. The console has both a hinge on the front and the rear of the console. The upper rear hinge allows the console to be opened from the front to expose a compartment. The front hinge is lower on the console. The purpose of this hinge is to allow the console to "clamshell" open. This action results in the console being level with the 2 captain's chairs when they are folded down giving the Platinum Sequoia a reasonably flat surface from the rear hatch to the front seats, unlike the captain's chair option in the Limited which leaves a large gap.

Here's an article that describes the console operation: "The Platinum has an optional center-row console that opens 180 degrees to create a tray for passengers and also allows for a flat cargo floor."

http://features.us.reuters.com/autos/news/95ED98EE-A837-11DC-BCB3-4F218271.html

A picture is worth a thousand words...if you carefully at this picture you'll be able to see how it clamshells' forward to become flat when the 2nd chairs are folded down. (FYI, this is the Red Rock interior with black carpeting and black lower door panels.)
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-toyota-sequoia/489604/
  • reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    I just came from the local dealer ( NY Metro Area) and got a first hand look at the new Sequoia. They did not have any Platinum editions but my impression of the vehicle was mixed. Overall I like it and feel it is a big improvement over the previous model. I did not drive it today , I plan to return another day for a drive.

When looking at this SUV from the front I think of a big massive masculine truck. It is very imposing to look at. From the rear, I think it looks more feminine and I am reminded of the Highlander. It doesn't match. From the side, its nice but something is missing. I can't put my finger on it. The dealer said the Platinum will not have anything on its body to differentiate itself from the other models. I find this a bit disappointing.

As far as the interior, I like the fold flat design for the third row ( almost flat) and it is wider than my Yukon Denali XL for storage. I can't believe the Platinum can not be ordered with a bench. I need the combination of fold flat design to carry things and the bench for carpooling kids. I am very disappointed and hope they change this.

The overall look of the dashboard I felt was inferior for a vehicle of this price. It has a cheap feeling to it. The redesigned Escalade/Yukon has a much more refined and elegant look and feel. I am anxious to see the slate color and cassis red color.

I am looking forward to the test drive and expect the transmission to be very very smooth and strong.
    Reggie,

I think your perspective is spot-on regarding the new Sequoia (or at least it matches my view). The interior look is better in the GM products (I actually like the interior look & feel of my 5 yr old Denali XL better than the new Sequoia). However the interior design of the new Sequoia is far better than the GM products.

More leg room and seat adjustments in both the 2nd & 3rd rows of the Sequoia vs the Yukon or Yukon XL. Its quite a shame that GM has a larger vehicle in the Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali XL yet the interior space is so much less than the Sequoia. Even though the Sub has a greater volume it really is unuseable since the second row seats do not fold level with the floor once you've gone to the trouble of lugging the 3rd row seat out of the vehicle.

This last point was the deciding factor for me to go with the Sequoia. Also the fact that the Sequoia has a more flexible drivetrain, higher tow rating and Bluetooth helped in my decision. Most everything else is a wash (including price). If the interior design, drivetrain, tow rating and bluetooth are non factors for you, these 2 vehicles would be a coin toss or would be decided by the aesthetics which are different for everybody.
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    Per the Toyota web site: 2nd row seating

SR5 : Standard: Second row bench, no option for captains in second row
    Limited: Standard: Second row Bench; Optional : Buckets with no console
    Platinum : Standard: Buckets with console; no option to have bench.

It is disapointing not to have a 2nd row bench option in the Platinum model. Although you can load a Limited with most of the Platinum features, apparently the H-TEMS suspension in the Platinum is not available as an option on the Limited.
    So I guess all the Denalis I was making fun of for being tacky with lipstick on a pig were 2007 models. I just saw a really nice looking Yukon Denali, and walked up to it and looked in the window. WOW. The interior was not tacky at all! At my casual glance it just seemed awesome and much better than the Toyota. Must be new for 2008. I never even considered looking at them because of the models up until now. I should have considered them.
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    I drove an 08 Denali and while it was nice looking inside, it was a real piece of crap on the road. I am an old gm nut since '79 and that denali drove like my old 91 silverado did. It handled loosely, the steering wheel wood felt like it was seperating from the leather, the exhaust noise was getting old quickly and I found myself in sixth gear with that awful exhaust drone at 35 mph. Kick it down to get it out of sixth and it downshifts abruptly and goes right back to sixth. You did well to buy the Sequoia especially if it drives as well as my Tundra. Great powertrain. I fear for the future of gm if they continue to turn out vehicles like this. Read some of the escalade forums, its not good.
  • mommytruckmommytruck Member Posts: 10
    Well my husband and I went to Tampa for a couple of days for an RV show, and while we were there we went by Stadium Toyota to look at the 08. He had only seen them in the pictures posted online and neither one of us had driven one. I was looking to get a Limited in Pyrite Mica, and we had been talking to one of our local dealers that was supposed to have one coming in, but the price just didn't sound right. So while we looked at them in Tampa the had a Platinum on the lot and the salesman showed us all of the neat gadgets and features and we were very impressed with them so the dealer eager to make a sell asked what we wanted, I said I did not want white since that is what I have now and I don't like how quickly it starts looking dingy after it has been washed and I really like the Pyrite, so they found one that could be ready in 4-6 weeks with all the options. Then the GM started talking numbers with my husband and we finally settled on $52,600, My question is this, does this sound like a good deal for a loaded Platinum or not? It is less than our local dealer was quoting us for the Limited which is why we said yes to the deal. I would like to know your opinions so I can let my husband know.
    THanks
    $52,600 is probably a good deal for a loaded Platinum but it is much easier if you relate it to dollars over invoice. People have reported paying as low as $1500, $1000, or even $500 over invoice. Then you need to see what BS 'standard' fees they will add. Mine added a $280 document fee. Some dealers add less, some add more.
    When you say over invoice what are you refering to? I do know that the sticker price was over $58,000. I do not know what the invoice would be.
    Thanks for the input.
    Heather
    It sounds like a great deal however you'll need to check a few things to be sure. $52600 is the dealer's factory invoice on a fully loaded Platinum. Loaded means the addition of these 4 options:
    Rear Entertainment
    Cold Kit
    Laser Cruise
    DRL on/off

I would say if he's willing to sell a Platinum with these options at $52600 its an outstanding deal. In fact its about $6000 under MSRP. If it doesn't include the rear entertainment (which I kinda doubt since the Platinums are being delivered with one of 2 options... either everything above .... or everything above minus Laser cruise.) But if it doesn't have the rear entertainment then it would be about $1400 over Factory invoice. Still not an awful deal.

You need to see if he's willing to put that deal in writing because if he is and its the vehicle you want, you should sign up as soon as you can.

Mommytruck, nice negotiating by your husband if the deal is a loaded Platinum. Let us know. I paid $53400 for a Platinum with the following (I didn't want the Laser cruise):
    EY - Rear entertainment
    CK - Cold Kit
    RL - DRL On/Off
    Z1 - Preferred accessories package
    WL - Wheel Locks
    The invoice is more than 52200. You can find the actual number with the options you want from edmunds.com
    Actually we did put it in writing. We put a down payment on it and will pick it up in 4-6 weeks. Thanks :)
    What options were included on your new Sequoia?
    You got a heck of a deal! And on a Platinum no less! There's about a $3800.00 mark up on these trucks. So you definitely got a GREAT deal!
    MACK :shades:
    Well it did not have the rear DVD but otherwise loaded. We will put in an aftermarket rear DVD in the headrest.
    Mommytruck,

Here's the factory invoice for a Platinum Sequoia with all the options. You can just subtract out the options not on your order (rear entertainment and any other options not on your vehicle) to figure out the dealer's factory invoice. If you subtract out the rear entertainment ($1336 invoice) and Laser Cruise ($480 invoice), you'll get a factory invoice around $50791. This Factory invoice will vary depending on whether the destination charge is higher or lower than the $685 on this invoice.

This would make your dealer's offer of $52600 around $1800 over factory invoice or about $3825 off MSRP. Not bad.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    Also note there is like $1500 in holdback, so $1800+$1500 and the dealer really nets over $3000. Which I think is fair. If there is some $200 admin fee, they might have netted $3500 relative to what they pay Toyota. Obviously the dealer has their own employee, building, and other expenses so that is far from being profit.
  • sknabtsknabt Member Posts: 14
    "The overall look of the dashboard I felt was inferior for a vehicle of this price. It has a cheap feeling to it. The redesigned Escalade/Yukon has a much more refined and elegant look and feel. I am anxious to see the slate color and cassis red color."

Yep. The Sequoia's console/dash look like an exact clone of the Tundra's. Deja vu for me.

I don't know what's going on with Toyota interiors on their new large trucks. I was shopping full-size pick-ups and was shocked how cheap the interior of the Tundra Limited looked. The Tundra's leather seats were only so-so comfortable and the passenger seat was only 4-way adjustable, a huge disappointment for a top-of-the-line vehicle.

I bought the GM Sierra SLT over the Tundra Limited. The SLT's interior is a vast improvement over the Tundra's. Like the Sequoia, the Tundra ain't cheap either. It was thousands more than a better equipped Sierra.

I can't believe Toyota would put such a crappy interior into a vehicle costing in the mid to upper $50k range based upon posts here.

Plus, the Tundra's design took lots of short cuts not fitting such a premium priced pick-up. All it offered was crude hi/lo 4x4 while the Sierra included a sophisticated automatic 4x4 mode that can be shifted into at any speed. Plus, the Tundra lacked a fully boxed frame. I wonder if the Sequoia takes similar quality short cuts?

The one thing the Tundra had going for it was a very good power train. I'm sure the Sequoia shares this. Of course, at Toyota's bloated prices you can upgrade to a Denali and get the 6-speed automatic plus even more.

I think Toyota is starting to lean on its reputation a bit regarding their full-size truck line.
    I do agree the Sequoia interior has a lot to desire in the looks department however the design of the interior is far better than the Denali.

"Plus, the Tundra's design took lots of short cuts not fitting such a premium priced pick-up. All it offered was crude hi/lo 4x4 while the Sierra included a sophisticated automatic 4x4 mode that can be shifted into at any speed. Plus, the Tundra lacked a fully boxed frame. I wonder if the Sequoia takes similar quality short cuts?"

While the Tundra only has a fully boxed frame for the front end and a C-Channel frame for rear, the 2008 Sequoia has a fully boxed frame from front to rear. The '08 Sequoia also has the following drivetrain options that are selectable by the driver:
    2WD
    Full-time 4WD high with LSD ctr diff.
    Locked ctr diff 4WD high
    4WD low
    Locked ctr diff 4WD low

Unlike the Tundra 4wd system. Also unlike the Denali which offers no choices to the driver. You get what it gives you which is AWD with a center and rear LSD. The Sequoia also has an independent rear suspension while the Tundra and Denali have a solid rear axle.

I own a Denali XL and am switching to a Sequoia. It has a far superior interior design than the new Denali. The Sequoia has a 6sp tranny (same as the Denali) combined with the 381hp 5.7L engine.

I'd still take the electric folding 3rd row seats and the flat folding 2nd row seats of the new Sequoia over the lousy design of the new Denali which requires you to lug the 3rd row out of the vehicle and even then, the 2nd row doesn't fold flat. Good luck trying to transport anything large in a Denali.
  • surfwagon56surfwagon56 Member Posts: 12
    Being similar to your family (but down 1 dog) We bought an '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES. Compared to an ExpyTahoMada, more space, more comfortable ride, sharper handling, 19 around town 26 on the freeway. Actually averaged 25.5 mph on the way from Utah back to So Cal earlier this month. Minivan stigma? I used to care, but I guess I've outgrown it. My wife sure loves it though.

Sequoia looks to be competitive compared to the establishment, but an interesting move from an automotive company that uses superior mileage claims in a lot of their ads.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    This latest review, while not saying a whole lot, will help steer a few buyers away from the competition. After the skewed Expedition vs. Tahoe towing comparison, hopefully Edmunds won't do another towing test where they add several thousand pounds of ballast to the Sequoia so it can be compared unfavorably to an Expedition-EL or Suburban.
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    frankly, from what i see/read, this one is just playing catch-up with tahoe/yukon, let along tahoe/yukon hybrids. hahoe hybrid is 40-50% (21 vs 13 local, 22 vs. 18 highway) more fuel efficient than this baby and cost LESS. unless people is a toyota lover, i do not see any reason not to buy a tahoe hybrid or even a tahoe, if you need a full size suv.
    Saw my first Sequoia commercial during House.
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Surely, if this was an Expendation or Suburban or GMC Yukon XL, there would be a skeptic tone from the editor.
    I have no doubt this is a good SUV, but given the trouble Toyota is having with the Tundra and the way I have seen the Tundra bed shake on the 405 freeway (go over to you tube) I doubt Toyota has caught up to the Expendation and Tahoes of this world just yet. The Toyota Frame is cleary inferior to GM, Chrysler and Ford.

As for 0-60, something is not right... a lighter more powerful Super Charged Range Rover is slower than this beast?
    What about the New GM Hybrids? This is better than those too? Better than a Fully Loaded 403 HP 400 Lb's of TQ GM smooth 6 speed, Platinum Escalade ESV with all its soft leather, bells and whistles and tomb like quiet cabin??

Clearly this editor knows his audience. Tell them what they want to hear
    That is a great article and reinforces my faith in the new sequoia that I am waiting to receive soon. Yes the outside reminds me of Shrek but the inside is extremely well packaged and looks far more spacious and modern than my current 2001 sequoia. I am hoping that the air suspension also makes the ride better
    I drove the sequoia limited and a 2008 landcruiser. The landcruiser looks better, has better materials and is quieter than the Sequoia Limited. It is approximately 10k more expensive than the Seq Limited.

I also drove the new highlander. In terms of ride and smoothness it is perhaps the best of the three. The price is right too at under 40k. The only limitation is the lack of space especially the third row seat. The new highlander is actually a lot better than the Lexus RX.
    I don't see how a Landcruiser can be just $10K more than a Limited when it is $13K more than a Platinum.
    "The Toyota Frame is cleary inferior to GM, Chrysler and Ford."

There's some truth to your comments, however there are significant differences between the new Sequoia and the Tundra. Where the Tundra has a C-channel frame after the B-pillar, the Sequoia has a fully boxed frame from front to rear. Where the Tundra has a solid axle rear, the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension.

"What about the New GM Hybrids? This is better than those too? Better than a Fully Loaded 403 HP 400 Lb's of TQ GM smooth 6 speed, Platinum Escalade ESV with all its soft leather, bells and whistles and tomb like quiet cabin??"

I think the GM Tahoe Hybrids are a joke. You'll gain 25% better fuel efficiency and give up 2500lbs in towing capacity and a lower load rating. What's the point? If you wanted better fuel economy and didn't need a significant tow rating, you could have simply gotten a minivan or a smaller x-over SUV. I can't wait to hear how these vehicles perform after launching a boat into a salt water environment with all those batteries in the floor pan.

I think the Escalade and Denali are destined to lose signifiicant sales to the Sequoia just based on the lack of a fold flat 3rd row seat in the GM products.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    The Sequoia has a fully boxed frame while the Tundra does not. Comparing the Sequoia to the Tundra is not really apples and apples.
    You need to test drive the Sequoia and then compare it against the competition. I believe after you've driven one your opinion will change.
    Interesting. To most of us here at the dealership the LC looks like a bloated Highlander with the same materials the Sequoia has. The leather in the LC is higher quality but the rest is dissappointing for a 70k loaded vehicle. Unless I was a die hard Landcruiser fan I would take the LC over the Sequoia. IMHO you get more for your money with the Sequoia.
    Mack :shades:
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    whether tahoe is a joke or not is not a fact but your opinion. it is "green car of the year", made the finalist of the truck of the year, cx-9 won. let us look at some numbers

Sequoia Tahoe Tahoe hybrid, similarly configured (4x4)
    max tow: 8800, 7500, 6000
    pay load: 1235, 1380, 1835
    EPA : 13/18, 20/20, 14/20
    $ : 55k, 52k, 36k

I can live with 6000lb tow, capable for the a reasonable size trailer or boat. I drive it to work everyday, and I need good fuel economy, 20 vs 13 is like more than 50% more efficient for local. 20 vs 18 is like 10% better on highway, I will get my tax credit, a greener image. still a joke to you? minivan and crossover does not have enough towing capacity for me, if you see something that can tow 6000lb, seat 8, yield 20mpg local (like a camry 4cylinder), please please let me know.
    "I can live with 6000lb tow, capable for the a reasonable size trailer or boat. I drive it to work everyday, and I need good fuel economy, 20 vs 13 is like more than 50% more efficient for local. 20 vs 18 is like 10% better on highway, I will get my tax credit, a greener image. still a joke to you? minivan and crossover does not have enough towing capacity for me, if you see something that can tow 6000lb, seat 8, yield 20mpg local (like a camry 4cylinder), please please let me know. "

Sounds like you're convinced on the Tahoe Hybrid and a "green image" is important to you. I think if a green image is important in your neighborhood, the Prius might serve that purpose better. Frankly I find buying a vehicle for image somewhat superficial if its one of the top factors in selecting a vehicle to buy..., but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Maybe you should drop $50+K on the Yukon Hybrid and tell us how you like replacing all those batteries in 50,000miles after the warranty expires. My guess is that unless you drive like a 70 yr old "blue hair" with an egg between your driving shoe and throttle pedal, you'll never see any where near 20mpg out of a 300hp gas engine...even with the battery supplement. But if it makes you feel more green...I say give it a try and tell us how you like it.

BTW, for that same price of around $52K you could get an AWD MB GL320CDI that seats 7 has a tow capacity of 7500lbs and gets 20 city and 25 hwy. Take a guess which one is going to have a higher resale value. The one running on Duracells that need replacement or the one with a 100 yr old proven technology. Oh I forgot...it probably won't have the right image in the eyes of the neighborhood Greenpeace Al Qaida. Just not quite the right image without the 6 ft long "H Y B R I D" sticker down the side of the vehicle like the Tahoe. Gotta have the right image....right?

FYI...an '08 SR5 4wd Sequoia with the 5.7 engine has a tow capacity of 9600lbs, not 8800lbs.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    I agree wholeheartily on the bloated HL comments on the exterior. We were also surprised that the Sequoia gets a nice pearl white (Artic Frost) while the LC gets stuck with that flat Super White. Did not make sense....

My wife and I both thought that the interior on the LC was MUCH nicer than the Sequoia Platinum. The dash is more integrated and flows nicely compared to the Sequoia. Leather was noticeably nicer and even the switchgear seemed a notch better. In fact, we both commented, put the LC interior in the Sequoia and we're buying it.

As an aside...any idea why Toyota and Lexus is so adverse to putting HIDs on their trucks? The new LX570 does not even have HIDs!
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Please tell me that those nasty "Hybrid" decals on the doors are not really on the production model? I assumed that they were just on the press versions to help the marketers.

Apparently, the Pontiac folks got their hands on the Tahoe/Yukon hybrids and added their "cheesy cladding" touch to it....