Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• toddhmtoddhm Posts: 35
    I was thinking the LB21 must be the Red Rock color.
  • sirrafsirraf Posts: 55
    With the Sequoia being a new product was anyone considering an purchasing extended warranty? If so, which is the best extended warranty?
  • Remember when Homer was losing brain cells and over time got more and more stupid? At his final stage of regression, he said "Extended Warranty! Here I come!"

If it did not work out so that they collected more money than they paid out, they would not offer it.
  • I got a chance to see the new 2008 here in Utah. I really liked the looks but didn't have enough time to drive or check inside. The 2008 was a LTD and was pretty much loaded with dvd, nav etc. and was stickered at $55k. Even though my 2002 SR5 isn't quite as fancy, I'm having a hard time justifying the $13k difference in price. I've enjoyed my Sequoia but have had the typical issues ie. rear window, rear hatch handle and vsc light. I'll definitely wait to track reliability and see how much discount is given.
  • Personally, I would not buy a new model of any car, Toyota or not. I think buying any new model is not a good idea, certainly not the first year. I also have some things at issue with my 2004 4runner but that does not mean I am going to rush out and buy a new Sequoia (or any other vehicle for that matter). Maybe in a few years when I can see some of the customer reviews and reliability feedback. Personally i can't see how they justify charging $56,000 for a Platinum. I've seen the interior of the new Sequoia; it is not that refined, compared to some of the other models (the Mercedes GL450, for example or the Audi Q7). For that kind of money, i'd rather buy a Landcruiser or new Lexus LX570. That at least would be worth plunking down 60k. And even more so considering how ugly the new Sequoia is compared to the '07. But who knows? Maybe Toyota will redesign it in a year or two and make it more upscale.
  • "For that kind of money, i'd rather buy a Landcruiser or new Lexus LX570. That at least would be worth plunking down 60k."

A Landcrusier is $76,000 MSRP -- more than $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option added to it. And that is for a smaller vehicle. So the Sequoia is plenty discounted for the fact that it is not as luxurious inside.

As for the GL450 -- I wanted one but I went to see it and it was too small for my needs. Likewise, it was $76,000 -- also $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option. Again, for a smaller vehicle.

So I maintain that the Platinum is perfectly refined for a $50,000+ vehicle. It is just not refined compared to a $76,000 vehicle.
  • Edmunds now has 2008 data.
  • asif1asif1 Posts: 49
    Sequoia is based on Tundra hence some learning curve is already there. Sequoia is also a yr to two yr late for its new model hence they must have done their homework pretty well. Very rarely a new vehicle changes shape except for in 4-runner they discontinued the plastic siding and bumpers with color-matched after the first yr. I will not expect any changes in Seq for atleast 4 yrs. May be minor issues for which they will issue TSB and fix it in next yr model.
    The picture does not do justice with actual sequoia, it looks much better in real. I was under the impression that it is front heavy and tail lights are not jiving with front but in reality it looks pretty well balanced inside out. Also the plastic inside is not massive. when you increase the interior space, you have to fill it up too.

For first gen sequoia it always looked like big suv with small tires. i always liked even that one better in reality.
  • Could not agree more about the following:

A Landcrusier is $76,000 MSRP -- more than $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option added to it. And that is for a smaller vehicle. So the Sequoia is plenty discounted for the fact that it is not as luxurious inside.

As for the GL450 -- I wanted one but I went to see it and it was too small for my needs. Likewise, it was $76,000 -- also $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option. Again, for a smaller vehicle.

So I maintain that the Platinum is perfectly refined for a $50,000+ vehicle. It is just not refined compared to a $76,000 vehicle.

If you want a *full size* SUV, the Sequoia remains the best choice on the market bar none in my opinion. If you can deal with a smaller, more mid size SUV, you have tons of good/better options... For full size, there really isn't any other good choice in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed with the loss in internal cubic volume. Even though fold flat seats are convenient, I, like the other person, like the ability to REMOVE them for increased storage.

I need to call some transport companies still. My Slate Platinum is due in any day...

(That Mercedez is way too small...)
  • $76k? The website says $63k- or is that not a fully loaded LandCruiser? In any event, maybe $56k isn't a bad price, considering the Denali is close to 60k already..i still maintain that the old styling was nicer looking, regardless of price.
  • $63K is stripped without the dvd player, leather steering wheel and shift knob, back up camera, steering controls for audio, cruise control, navigation, etc. A loaded Sequoia has all that stuff, so to compare apples to apples, you need to price the Land Cruiser with options and compare MSRPs of each. And when you do, the Land Cruiser is $16K more and that is for a smaller vehicle. So really, if the Sequoia had the Land Cruiser's quality and Japanese assembly, it would have to be about $20K more due to it being larger. So if you wanted Toyota to build that, they would have had to price it about $80K to keep their product line in perspective. I feel that a $16K drop in price below the Land Cruiser for a fully loaded Platinum Sequoia is more than fair in exchange for the less cushy interior.
  • aj4321aj4321 Posts: 37
    I drove a 08' Limited today for an hour on the highway and in the city. Here is my take:
    Pros:
    - Excellent engine/transmission (smooth & fast)
    - Handles well for its size
    - Great brakes (did some hard stops with no fade)
    - Good highway cruiser (tall gears and no wind noise)
    - Lots' of 2nd row leg room and nice reclining features (well thought out)
    Cons:
    - Interior style/quality seemed too much like a pick-up truck. (Examples: The inside door panels, the center armrest console and the dashboard. Parts of the interior reminded me of a Nissan not a Toyota).
    - Steering is slightly over-assisted
    - Older tech 4WD (Should have went with AWD)
    - Overall the styling is not bad in person. The sides and the back of the 08' look good. The front-end looks too much like the Tundra pick-up (looks huge). Not crazy about the style of the 20inch rims. In time I think the style will grow on me.
    - Dealers are not willing to provide much of a discount off MSRP....yet.

I've waited a while for the 08' and test drove the Yukon Den, Navigator, MB GL450, Q56, LX 470 and others. I think paying full MSRP is too high (mid-$50k to $60k) for the Sequoia. Even though the Yukon and Navigator are in some ways are inferior to the Sequoia, it is hard to ignore them when they are being discounted at $10k off MSRP and can be purchased in the low 40's. Also, the LX470 is being heavily discounted now and it has some advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Sequoia within the same price range as the Platinum.

I will wait a couple weeks to see if they start selling them at $1k (or so) over invoice. If they do - I'll buy one. If not - there are some good second choices.
  • I have to disagree with you on your statements. Finally, I got a chance to test drive it today, here in Seattle. This particular model came in fully loaded with *every* possible option at the price tag of 59,640. (by the way next to the Sequoia there was 08 Land cruiser. Starting price 73,500). Anyway, interior is completely redesigned. (I am driving fully loaded 03 model, TRD, custom wheels, etc...) The ride was amazing. Smooth, but very powerful on pick up. Yes, I will probably wait till LX570, but you know that it will start at 80K and will go up from there. As for the value, towing 7300 camping trailer, and yet having a great luxury SUV, you can't beat it. Again, what do you get in 570 that you don't already have in this one? Self parking option? Video monitor under the side mirrors? Your needs might be different, but for someone who wants to camp and drive nice rig, this is by far good investment. Regards,
  • "Older tech 4WD (Should have went with AWD) "

Whoa. What do you mean 'older tech?' I actually don't know much about the various 4WD/AWD systems. But I do know that if the two right or two left tires of a Highlander are on ice, they will just spin. I believe the Sequoia system does not have that problem. Are you sure AWD systems are better for serious use? Nothing I have read supports that.
  • "Also, the LX470 is being heavily discounted now and it has some advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Sequoia within the same price range as the Platinum. "

I think it has the cast-iron low power 4.7 liter engine. Would anyone want that? I would not touch it. Either a 2008 Land Cruiser or a LX570, or the Sequoia 2008. That is all I would consider.
    I agree for serious off-road use - 4WD is better. However, for typical use (on pavement) I believe AWD is the better solution. The LX, LC, GX and 4-runner v8 are AWD. Also, the recent recall on the Tundra's 4WD system is not encouraging (same system as the new Sequoia).
  • "I agree for serious off-road use - 4WD is better. However, for typical use (on pavement) I believe AWD is the better solution. "

I have a steep driveway and when it snows, I cannot get up in our Subaru AWD. Part of the reason why my wife and I picked the Sequoia was that it was a real truck. We were going to get a Sienna AWD but decided it would sometimes get into situations were we would be stuck. I very much want the ability to lock some differentials. If we wanted a cross-over vehicle we could have bought a Mazda CX9. I wanted the most serious and capable system. The fact that the Sequoia was 4WD helped sell me on it. But I could be wrong. As I said, I don't really understand how they all work.
    Sequoia definitely has the better engine (which is a big advantage). However, I think there are several advantages to the LX 470.
    1. Interior quality/styling (luxury)
    2. Ride quality (benchmark for smoothness)
    3. Proven reliability (most reliable SUV according to Consumer Reports)
    4. Exterior Styling (the LX still looks good after all these years and can't be confused with a pick-up truck)
    5. Dealer service (big difference between Lexus and Toyota service)
  • When I see a LX470 I just see the old Land Cruiser. It will look dated super fast as the 2008 Land Cruisers are out. I would get a 2008 Land Cruiser any day over a LX470. I have no experience with Toyota service. I am happy with my Subaru and Honda service. It has to come down to individuals dealers.
  • Ok. I have read up on AWD/4WD. The Sequoia is a multi-mode system which has the best of both worlds (I think).

Here is the deal -- historically anything called 4WD did not have a differential between the front and rear. So when it was in 2WD mode, you could drive it on the street. When it was in 4WD mode, you could not. This is what makes people think that anything called 4WD is not modern and not good on the street.

If you add a differential in between the front and rear, it is called full-time 4WD. The advantage of this is you can keep four wheels driven all the time. This is what the Sequoia and Land Cruiser have.

AWD is the same as full-time 4WD but gives up the low-gear setting. So it is actually the same, but with one less feature.

The Sequoia has a button which will lock the differential, turning it into a transfer case, and converting the full-time 4WD to a part-time 4WD system. Hence why it is multi-mode.

The fact that it is multi-mode leads to situations where there is confusion with calling it AWD or 4WD. Just call it full-time 4WD with a locking differential. To make matters more confusing, you can put the Sequoia into 2WD mode. This makes it sound like it is not 'full time 4WD' but it is. I mean, it is capable of driving in 4WD all the time, on pavement, which part-time 4WD (or simply 4WD) vehicles cannot do. So it is both part time 4WD (when the differential is locked or when it is in 2WD mode), and full time 4WD (when the central diff is active).

What I don't know is if the Sequoia has limited slips front and rear. I hope it does or else if the two right or two left wheels are on ice, it can get stuck. This is why some hard-core systems have axle lockers. But yeah, that would be a pain for a road car.
  • Back to price, it would actually be the Merdeces GL550, not the 450, to match the HP. And that is $81,000 MSRP with DVD and a smaller vehicle.
    Trebor129, I used the wrong term - I should have said full-time 4WD instead of AWD. However, you missed one important point. The Sequoia’s multi-mode 4WD system has to be manually activated (at speeds under 60mph). The new LX, LC, GX and 4-runner full-time 4WD are always working - which is a safety advantage. My point - I would have preferred full-time 4WD rather than the multi-mode on the Sequoia. Not a big issue - more of a nice to have.
  • I could be wrong, but here is what I think is correct...

"Full time 4WD" means that you can drive all 4 wheels on dry pavement due to a differential between front and real axles.

"Part time 4WD" means there is no differential, and you must not drive four wheels on dry pavement.

You can have "Full time 4WD" combined with "Part time 4WD" in the same vehicle, just by having a way to lock this central differential. The Sequoia can do that, so it is both full-time and part-time 4WD.

I think you are confusing the fact that it is not always in 4WD mode as meaning that it is 'part-time 4WD.' That is not the case.

Also the fact that it can go into 2WD mode does not mean it is not 'full-time 4WD.' It is 'full-time 4WD' when in that mode. The fact that you have to be below 60 MPH to change modes does not mean anything.

Here is something I am unsure about: Are you saying that you cannot leave the Sequoia in 4WD for weeks at a time? Meaning, if you put it in 4WD, and turn off the truck. And restart it, will it start back up where you left it in 4WD, or will it revert to 2WD?

I believe if you just leave it in 'full time 4WD' mode, it will mechanically be identical to a LC. The LC can also go into "part time 4WD" model, and low-gear mode. As far as I can tell, the Sequoia just adds a 2WD mode which is totally optional and in no way effects the 4WD modes.
  • luckylouluckylou Posts: 308
    I have been reading the last few posts. Very interesting by the way.
    I own a 2006 Lexus LX470 and in my very short Christmas list is a new SUV. I have already test drove the new Land Cruiser, hopefully soon I can test drive the new Sequoia and then the LX570.
    The 2008 LC/LX are are the same animal just with different collar, a luxury collar, one those three SUV's are the only ones in my Christmas stocking wish list.
    My main complain with LC/LX is interior room either on the previous models or the 2008, is not much room.
    From the driver and front passenger seat point of view my LX is very comfortable, this what I am hoping the new Sequoia will accomplished for both my wife and I.
    If once we test drive the Sequoia and both agree, we'll get the 4x4 Platinum, loaded and still would have saved a huge bundle even with the new technology.
    As some of you have pointed out in a few weeks the dealer will be selling below MSRP. I am willing to wait till February, instead of a Christmas gift it will be a birthday.
  • Not sure what other people are noticing, but the dealers in my area (NW, Portland, Oregon), have not pre-sold many, if any, 2008 Sequoias. Tough time of year for the release of a new model, after the x-mas rush, cars do not sell for a while and I think you will find some movement on price very soon. Best day to buy a car is usually the day after x-mas due to lack of demand and a push for year end numbers on the dealer side (with a new model, might not be as effective). I am sure dealers will be getting many more in early spring and they will not want to have much of this high priced inventory sitting on their lots for long.

As to whether the Sequoia is over priced, we will see. If people buy them, then no, if they don't buy them, then yes. The market will take care of pricing.

BTW, I saw a Platinum that had an MSRP of $62k (without taxes or anything else). They had added some extra braking system to it, which was a $2300 extra. Had not seen that before and do not see it listed as an option. Strange option since I thought the brakes on the new Sequoia were great to begin with.
    I am buying SR5 500 above invoice with a trade-in. My dealer may sell you for 1 k over invoice with no trade-in. They have limited number of Sequoias so i dont know how many they will sell with discounts. PM me if you need more information.
  • PM you? Can you clarify, please? I am indeed interested!
  • Have any of you been shopping for leases on the new 2008's? I've emailed the local dealership and they said they'd sell/lease for $500 over invoice. I'm just wondering if its possible to get one of these for $500-$600 a month for a 36 month, low mileage lease.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    Try the Toyota Sequoia Lease Questions discussion.

The Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion is active right now with '07 closeouts, but it's another one to track.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.