Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Check out our 2008 Sequoia first drive and post your impressions here.

First Drive: 2008 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Comments

• cprov23cprov23 Member Posts: 4
    Is there any reliable information as to the expected release date of the 2008 Sequoia? Also, will there be a redesign? Since the 2007 was not changed and the new redesigned Tundra platform has been announced, I'm assuming 2008 is a redesign.

Thanks.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    Yes the 2008 Sequoia is going to be a redesign. It will be based on the 2007 Tundra and will come with (as on the new Tundra) an optional 5.7L V8 (so you can pull 10,000 lbs- like you really need it! LOL)..also, Lexus is going to be coming out with its own Sequoia in '08; just in case you want to drive in opulence and have towing power...:)
    Thanks for the information above. Any speculation as to when in 2007 the new Sequoia will arrive at the dealerships?
  • kgolbykgolby Member Posts: 17
    Can you give us any more info. regarding Lexus's new SUV for 2008? Would love to hear that they'll offer captain's chairs for the 2nd row, power lift gate, & of course a great looking dashboard.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Perhaps it would be better to take this over to the Future Vehicles board.
    Honestly, I don't know. I have hearing about it and reading articles about the new design, but there's nothing concrete. Apparently Toyota is keeping very tight wraps on this new project. Like you, i'd like to know too. I would love to trade in (or sell more likely) my 2004 4Runner for a new '08 Sequoia. I'd like to see Toyota finally compete with Ford and Chevy for toughest SUV :)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I also just heard that the new '08 Sequoia ( mid '07? ) will be based on the new Tundra frame. From one participant in the recent Tundra training in Princeton the new Sequoia will be 'suburban-size'. Prolly bigger than a Tahoe/Expedition but slightly smaller than the Suburban. Just a guess tho. It could be as big as the Suburban but that would leave a 'void' size-wise for a normal 8 passenger V8 SUV.

Oh, both rear rows fold flat into the floor without having to take the seats out.
    I would be surprised if Toyota abandoned the current size of the Sequoia altogether. There is a bigger market for the current size of the Sequoia which is evident by the sales comparisons between the Suburban and Tahoe. Perhaps there would be an "XL" version along with the current dimensions.
  • straittalkstraittalk Member Posts: 2
    I talked to the Toyota Dealer and he said the new Sequoia will be based on the new Tundra platform. He has seen pictures of the new model - says it looks like a Ford.
    Minus all the Ford problems no doubt.
    Hopefully it will compete favorably with the Nissan Armanda.
    I would like a nice SUV that is actually setup to tow.
    Thought about a GMC Yukon Denali but the 6.2L engine is shipped with a 3.42 axle ratio. It can only tow 7900 lbs!
    American manufacturers will just never get it. They turned what could have been a great tow vehicle into grandma's gas guzzlin grocery getter. Who needs that? That also loaded up the dash with "international symbols" to control things. The GMC feels more like a foreign vehicle than a Toyota. You need the owners manual to tell what the buttons mean.
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    Did your Toyota Dealer say when the New Sequoia would be coming out? Also would he either show you a picture of the Sequoia or suggest how you might see one?
  • needlesneedles Member Posts: 1
    I currently have an MDX and was very dissapointed with the new model. Still no AC for third row, still a crappy third row, still wind noise, and still no easy access to third row. My wife has decided that she wants to bump up to a large SUV. However, the only one with captain's chair second row, and automatic fold third row flat is the Expedition. I do not want a Ford, I pray the new Seqouia will have captain's chair second row option and nice auto fold flat third row. Does anyone know if this will be the case?
  • adlaitadlait Member Posts: 1
    I've been checking out all the large SUVs given the fact that I have 4 kids to trek around. Easy access to the third row via captain's chairs can be had in the Infiniti QX56/Nissan Armada but unfortunately, this car appears to be plagued with the new model big truck blues where they can't seem to get the brakes right. You hear very mixed reviews on this car and almost too many to consider spending the 52k you'll end up spending for a car with engineering issues like this. I'm still waiting to hear if the 2007 QX56 models have finally ironed this problem out. The Sequoia suffered this same problem but managed to solve it in 3 years(Infiniti/Nissan are into their 4th model year as of 2007)

There's also the Escalade ESV(and cousins) but I find it difficult to pay this kind of money for an SUV where they oversized the trunk and skimped on the 3rd row room factor. They would have done better to have cut the trunk down by a foot and given this to the third row. Also, the two 2007 ESVs that I drove in had an annoying vibration when coasting and too much plastic for my liking(at 65k I'd expect NONE!). Also, folding the third row and then bring this back to normal position was annoyingly difficult compared to the Nissan solution.

I also looked at the 2007 Sequoia Limited which also offers captain's seats in the second row but it's obvious this car is due for a redesign as it's missing all the amenities found in recent model ESVs like 3 zone climate control, a navigation system that doesn't look like an after thought, and variable cruise control where it slows down automatically when vehicles are in front of you. In general, the interior needs to be freshened up to modern standards.

A surprising candidate which is neither an SUV or a minivan is the Mercedes R class. My wife, who wanted out of the minivan world and into the cool SUV world, has fallen in love with this car. It offers second row captain's seats and interior refinement that is only found in cars of this caliber(beautiful maple wood, leather, electronic transmission). Also, the R series has been dropped 5k for 2007 making the R350 a great option for 45k.

If my wife decides against the R, I'll definitely wait for the latest Sequoia and Lexus SUV models. From what I've managed to dig up recently, I don't believe anyone can be sure the Sequoia will be released into the Lexus lineup(even though I would most definitely buy this vehicle) given the fact that the new Landcruiser is due out in 2008. A Lexus branded Sequoia would be a competitor and based on the spy photos, It appears to be smaller than what I would have thought would have been offered with the new Tundra platform.

I agree, would be great to see a new Sequoia with an auto fold flat third row like the Ford or Mercedes GL and even a sunken trunk bay like the minivans. I believe these features along with those found in modern SUVs would be a huge winner.
    that's what i heard...early spring perhaps...
  • dingchavezdingchavez Member Posts: 19
    I too cannot wait for the new Sequoia to arrive, not for myself but for a famiy member who is out after a great, reliable SUV. We have it narrowed down between the new Sequoia and the new Buick Enclave, and the new Chevrolet Tahoe."> I have a pic of what the new Sequoia is supposed to look like.
  • saveoursuvssaveoursuvs Member Posts: 5
    Hey dingchavez, where d'ya find this "photo"? Looks pretty computer rendered to me. The only other images I've seen is the wacky Japanese magazine cover with a blue front end of (what appears to be) a 2008 Tundra.

I'm getting desperate and might pull the trigger on a domestic unless Toyota gets the '08 Sequoia in this years' auto shows.

Thanks for any addl' info!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's from thehollywoodextra.blogspot where they do point out it is an illustration. Dingchavez did say it's "a pic of what the new Sequoia is supposed to look like."

tidester, host
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I hope that's not the new look... looks like a bloated rhino to me.

I'm thinking it will be identical to the new Tundra.

If it has a real center armrest (not the skinny fold-down thingies)and a decent third row folding set-up I'll seriously consider it.
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    Anybody have an idea when we'll finally see the real thing? I hear we'll see a debut at a spring auto show...but I can't find anything more specific than that. Seems strange that there's not more info circulating on this. I guess all the engery is focused on the new Tundra. I'd like to plan on buying one later this year...but I need to see it first!

I'm personally hoping for a design more like the Lexus GX and less like the new Tundra. If anybody knows anything, I'd love to hear it.
    I heard the spring too but not sure when...i hope it doesn't like the photo i saw on this message board. (you know, the bloated rhino LOL)..if it looks like the new tundra that's fine with me (although i do think the new tundra looks too much like the dodge ram; personally i liked the look of the '06 tundra better). I guess we'll see soon enough...hopefully it'll come with the 5.7L 381 hp engine that is optional in the '07 tundra :)
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    It's a dealer add on. They etch the VIN number on certain parts like the windows. In theory it reduces the chance of your truck being stolen and stripped down, because the value of the parts is diminished because they are traceable to the VIN number. Ask your insurance company if they will give you a discount if you have this. My guess is that their answer will be no, and that tells you they don't see much value in it. Certain dealers have it on every car on the lot, and will try to convince you that it's a required add-on because it's done to the vehicles before they arrive at the dealership. When I have run into this when purchasing vehicles in the past, I have told the dealers that I didn't care and was not willing to spend a dime for it...in every case they backed down. I've seen dealers try to justify $500 or even $1000 for this, and it's all profit. I'll bet the process of etching a few parts costs them under $50 per car.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    It is frustrating to see that car companies just don't get what's needed with the third row seats. They either make them too close to the second row so it is impossible for anybody older than 8 years old to sit there, or they shove it all the way to the back and leave no trunk space.
    Is it THAT difficult to put sliders on the thing and let us decide if we need more passenger room or more trunk room? Is this some kind of huge technological hurdle that we have to overcome? What is the deal? Not a single company has done this! I hope the new Sequoia will be the first to offer this feature as it is badly needed...
    Have you looked at the new GMC Acadia? I don't believe the 3rd row seats slide, but it looks like it strikes a nice balance between leg room and cargo space. It may be strange that I'm comparing the Acadia to the Sequoia...but if I don't get some information about the '08 Sequoia soon, I'm going to have to start exploring other options.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    If you use a little imagination you can picture what the new Sequoia will look like by using the new Tundra. As far as options, ( and using common sense) it's most likely going to have everything the new Tundra does right- same V8 engine options, torque, mpg, bluetooth...I can go on but I think you get my point?
    Ignore my comment about the Acadia - saw it at an auto show this weekend and hated it (and totally over-priced to top it off)! I finally got to see the new Tundra in person too - loved it. My next vehicle is likley to be a toss up between the '07 Tundra and the '08 Sequoia (depending on what the Sequoia looks like). If the Sequoia ends having an interior similar to the new Tundra, I guess I'll proabably like it. However I just can't picture the Tundra front-end with an SUV back-end. To me that ends up looking like the horribly ugly Durango. If it looks anything like the picture I have in my mind, it will be hard to pull me away from the Tundra.

Can't wait to start seeing some real pictures of the Sequoia so I can make my decision. Either way, Toyota is definitely getting my $$$ this year.
  • johngalt1johngalt1 Member Posts: 6
    I am unhappy to report that a conversation I had with my local Toyota dealer, has left me with little hope of seeing a new Sequoia in the near future. I purchased our 03 Sequoia from the Sales Manager of our dealership. I called him today and he informed me that he had a conversation with the Toyota rep recently, where he was told not to expect a new Sequoia for at least another eight months. Sorry, I can't wait. I've enjoyed our vehicle, but without any word or pictures from Toyota, I'm moving on. I'll be looking at a new MB CDI diesel G-series this weekend. I wish Toyota would've been a little more forthcoming with their plans for a new full-size SUV. The current model is really dated. If anyone knows this information not to be accurate, please post soon. I'm not pulling the trigger until I return from a week in the mountains. Thanks
  • wolfekmwolfekm Member Posts: 18
    Talked to our local dealer - he said they have NOTHING on the new Sequoia, and that they JUST started taking orders for the new Tundras that will be in 2 weeks from now. He doesn't anticipate anything with the new Sequoia till closer to late August, possibly even early-mid September. He said they've even seen these new redesigns get delayed which could push it back further. So, nothing too informative, but pretty much echos what johnglat1's dealer said - there is nothing forthcoming any time soon on the new Sequoia....
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Hit the snooze button on the new Sequoia for another year.

Toyota really should release something to build anticipation... I guess these SUV's are so popular anyways that they don't see the point.
  • hottoyofanhottoyofan Member Posts: 9
    C'mon people. It's a 2008 vehicle.... Of course it won't show up until August. Sit back, relax, and trust that Toyota will do what it always does... beat the industry standard and produce a vehicle that everyone else in the market tries to keep up with. I've been patiently waiting in my 02 Sequoia since I started tracking the redesign in 2005. It will be worth it!!!! :)
  • cumadoggcumadogg Member Posts: 5
    to release a LITTLE information to clear up some confusion. This link says expect a debut in the "spring" auto shows:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100816566

but many here have mentioned, and I will add to it, that the dealers are clueless on it. One of my local dealers didn't even believe a redesign was going to happen this year when I asked him if he had seen it.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    I hope the Edmunds link above is wrong. I have a 2002 and it is a perfect size for me and has good off road capability. Any significant increase in size would make me look for another SUV.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    '08 Production begins in November with dealer delivery due January '08.
    no i don't think the link is wrong. Remember it's going to be based upon the 2007 Tundra so expect the size to be bigger than the current model. I heard rumors the size will be between a Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban (size-wise). Personally I like the style of the current ('07) Sequoia but of course it won't look anything near that with the '08 model. I would expect it to offer the 5.7L 381 HP v8. So much for economy, but then when you buy a new SUV of that size fuel economy is hardly at the top of the list!
  • jacktavjacktav Member Posts: 1
    I don't think you can call the last two Tundras 'Industry beating standard'. I was hoping to trade my Lexus GX470 for a new Sequoia soon since I am having so many problems with it, but I'm not waiting for January. Guess I'll have to look at that Denali...
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I am interested in the '08 models. I have a '01 with 129K miles and while it still runs great, I would like the bigger engine to pull a bigger trailer than I have now. I plan to test drive the Tundra this weekend to get a feel of what the seq will be like. If the past is any clear vision of the future the two vehicles will be twins, one having a bed and the other having another row of seats and a hatch
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    The 5.7 actually gets better gas mileage in the Tundra than the 4.7 does.
    The 5.7 uses vvti technology on both the intake and the exhaust valves in order to get a better combustion chamber , so it uses less fuel over all.

But also remeber when the 2008 comes out it will have to use the new epa ratings as well , so will be real hard to compare unless you actualyy had the old seq to use as base copmarison
  • santana1santana1 Member Posts: 2
    Will a hybrid drive train be offered? I have a 95 Suburban that really fits my needs, but at $120/fill-up and 14 mpg, I'm in the market for something more economical. Popular Mechanics tested the Highlander and Civic; concluding that the bigger the vehicle, the more a hybrid made sense. It's probably because of regenerative braking, shutting off the engine, and the high torque of the electric motor to launch. My Suburban replacement must be able to hold 3 child seats, a 2-up stroller, and other baby gear. The Tahoe and current Sequoia are too small: insufficient cargo space with the rear seat occupied. I hope the 2008 Sequoia will be as big as the Suburban.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2003 Ford 4x4 diesel Excursion and 2006 Scion xB and plan on getting the 2008 Sequoia if it's based on the 2007 5.7 Tundra. I hope it's the size of the Suburban because I need to carry up to 8 people and luggage.
  • omegagenomegagen Member Posts: 67
    When is big too big? I say an increase in size for the Sequoia is just plain stupid! My wife just got a 2005 Sequoia Limited and it is plenty big enough. The current size with the new 5.7 engine would be perfect. The current Sequoia barely fits in my garage now and it's probably bigger than the average persons garage!!

Message to ALL car manufactures: STOP making SUVS bigger...my God their enormous now!!! Look at the Excursion, it looks like a bus. Maybe people who need bigger SUV's should buy buses!
    From what I have heard and read, the new '08 Sequoia will be between the size of the Tahoe and the Suburban, and is based on the new Tundra. It will also have the optional 5.7L engine. I talked to a dealer in the LA area and he said they would be available in August, although that is not set in stone. Judging from the size of the new Tundra, the '08 Sequoia will definitely be Suburban-size.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    Get a clue pal, why would people need a bus to carry 8 people and their luggage when a diesel SUV is perfect.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    when a diesel SUV is perfect.

Perfection is in the eye of he beholder. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I sat in the new Tundra a couple of times thinking the interior will represent what the Sequoia will most likely look like. Hmm, pretty plastic-y. Not the quality plastic finish I've been accustomed to with Toyota although the seats, leather or cloth are much more improved over the Sequoia's weak seats. The ride however, was a nightmare. Maybe all pickup trucks drive this rough but even the salesman said "rides kinda rough doesn't it?". This was a $40,000, leather, 4.7 "regular" crew truck. You gotta be outta yer mind to buy this brick on wheels. Could Toyota be so dumb as ignore ride quality in the Sequoia too? Bear in mind it was 20 degrees outside and driven on a concrete highway, not warm plushy asphalt. The 07 Tahoe and Yukon drive quite nice most of the time but I was hoping Sequoia could perfect the SUV experience. Looking more doubtful now.
  • jpjbnmakes5jpjbnmakes5 Member Posts: 1
    We currently have a 2004 Nissan Armada. We traded our Toyota 4Runner in because of towing reasons. With 3 kids in car seats, we really needed the 3rd row back also. We have been waiting patiently for the new Sequoia also. We test drove the new Tundra. What a beautiful vehicle. Just missing the 3rd row. :)
    Anyway, how did the LA dealer hear it was coming out in August. The Boston dealer had no idea or even if it was a definite.
    For the person who stated to keep it the same size. Unfortunately, if that is the case, towing capacity would not matter. The wheel base needs to increase in order to tow more also (at least in our case - towing Outback 28 foot camper weighing 700ish lbs)
  • santana1santana1 Member Posts: 2
    The current Sequoia is too small for my needs. I have two kids in car seats and provide day care for a third. The three car seats won't fit in the second row, and even if they did, access to the third row would be blocked. I need room for two strollers (a 1-place and a 2-place. The Sequoia's cargo area is too small unless you put the third row down. Our 95 Suburban has adequate space, but I'd like a more economical vehicle. We're looking at a Sienna minivan because it has more cargo space behind the rear seat. Any suggestions? Please don't say less kids..it's an obvious non-answer and glosses over a legitimate need.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some helpful suggestions over in the SUV vs Minivans discussion (there's also a bit of OT discourse there that's easy enough to scroll past).

And the Compare the CX-9, Veracruz, Pilot, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave and Freestyle discussion has a recent "three kid" thread.
    Well, you can always wait for the new Sequoia to come out. I have been to several dealerships and the answer I keep getting is sometime in August/September. From what I keep hearing, the new Sequoia will be size-wise between a Tahoe and Suburban, so it will be quite a bit bigger than the current version. I guess as far as needs go it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have. If you have an active lifestyle, a SUV would probably work better for you.
    A Toyota salesperson I spoke with last week all but confirmed the likelihood of a 2008 Sequoia in, surprise, 2008, just like the February release of the 2007 Tundra. He said they knew about the Tundra for over a year since it's a big deal to Toyota. Visit the Toyota website and you'll see the all new Highlander is due out in August and yet the salesperson said they just found out about it themselves. He said expect a minimum of 6 months between new model announcement and delivery to dealers. This makes sense, why would ANY manufacturer release vehicles simultaneously, such as introducing a Sequoia in September when the Highlander is due in August. Each new product announcement nullifies the other. Wish it weren't true though.
    well i guess it's all good- give me 6 more months to save! Shows that most of these dealers have no idea what's going on with their own products- pretty sad.
  • k_oss_mrldk_oss_mrld Member Posts: 3
    It's not sad at all, actually. It's just the way Toyota wants it. For example, when the all-new 2007 Camry was first announced, we didn't even have pictures of it. And, although the whole world had pics of it, Toyota didn't send us definitive specs on the new Tundra until about 3 weeks before they hit the ground. A customer actually directed me to links for info on the 2008 Highlander, because the company chose to reveal it at an auto show before revealing anything to the dealer network. It's a little annoying, but the secrecy/advertising scheme got everyone craving the new Tundra, didn't it?
    true...it'll make everybody wonder what their product is going to look like, and considering Toyota is about to pass GM with overall market share, it must be working!