Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tahoe Noises and Sounds

biglubiglu Member Posts: 7
02 Tahoe, 120,000miles. when i turn the steering wheel it makes popping/clanking noises. when i turn either way. i heard some where it could be the CV joint. does anyone have any ideas?
if it is the CVjoints how much should something like that cost to fix?
thanks!

Comments

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I'm having a noise when turning the wheel on my 2005 Yukonl XL, only 33K miles. Not real loud, but audible, kind of a muted grunting sound, and you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I'll ask them to check out the steering column and CV joints while it's still under warranty.
    The service advisor (Freeman GMC in Grapevine, TX) recognized the noise right away and said it needs a new intermediate steering shaft, and is covered under warranty. Should be done later today and I'll post again here with the results.

As an aside, he also noted significant wear on the inside of the front left tire and suggested an alignment. I've never had one done (he said GMC suggests annually or every 12K, but I've never seen that recommendation before). I do get my tires rotated every other oil change, but he said it's obvious my tire place has only rotated front to back and not side to side. That ticks me off that a Goodyear shop would be so lazy. Anyway, the alignment would be about $70, and for $100 he offered to do a full "suspension service". Alignment, properly rotate and balance tires, lube the chassis.

He also tried to sell me on a $600 30K service which includes a whole bunch of stuff that's not in the maintenance guide. I know for a fact that it doesn't need anything until 50K when it calls for a transmission service, so I passed on that. But I am glad to get the other stuff done before we hit the road on Thursday, and really glad my wife and I noticed that steering shaft problem before the warranty expired.
    Intermediate steering shaft and left front suspension crossmember were replaced under warranty, and it rides like new. Evidently they no longer just apply more grease to quiet the noise temporarily, they actually replaced the shaft, which I was pleased to find out.
  • fleafishfleafish Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I apply brakes at low speed, there is a thump that is felt in the body and a bit in the steering wheel. I was told the front brake rotors may not have a smooth enough cut. They appear like an old record as if they were cut on high speed. Any ideas?
  • joe158joe158 Member Posts: 2
    1994 Suburban with A/C
    Just started getting this symptom.....
    Start the truck and a loud clicking noise that sounds similar to two pieces of plastic making contact, maybe like a gear skipping a tooth, emanates from under the dashboard on the passenger side. Click rate is about every 0.5 seconds and lasts for approximately 90 clicks and then stops.

Then when the ignition is turned off, the clicking starts again and lasts the same duration.

I suspect something in the climate control ductwork flow control. Just curious if anyone has experienced this and how it was resolved.

Thanks in advance!
    Joe
  • joe158joe158 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I have now isolated the problem to the recycle feature on the climate control. Selecting the button on the dash must move a vent baffle in the system that is failing to sense when it has reached the desired location. Still don't know how to fix it.
  • steveorenosteveoreno Member Posts: 2
    Whenever I drive my Tahoe thru a gutter or approach or say even over a speed bump at slow speed...I get a squeaking noise as the front end travels down, then back up through or over the depression or bump. This occurs whenever the suspension travels a long distance, but not so far as to bottom out. Do I have worn out bushings? If so, which ones. Has anyone else noticed this squeaky, rubbing type of sound?
  • dj2k2tahoedj2k2tahoe Member Posts: 1
    I had this same noise and I had to replace the slip yolk and U-joint. This didn't need to be replaced as no damage was happening, but the noise was annoying!
    Hope this is helpful.
  • aloudanaloudan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 08 Tahoe Z71. I get a whining sound between 30-40 MPH. The sound is like the one you hear when the steering fluid is low.

Tires OK
    Steering fluid OK

Has anyone faced the same problem?
  • aloudanaloudan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 08 Tahoe Z71. I get a whining sound between 30-40 MPH. The sound is like the one you hear when the steering fluid is low.

Tires OK
    Steering fluid OK

Has anyone faced the same problem?
  • nc5nc5 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an '05 Tahoe LT w/ 34K miles. Makes 2 distinct noises.
    First, if I turn completely left or right there is a quite a popping noise. I imagine this is a warning as I cannot turn any farther, however it does seem very loud.

Second, every time I start the vehicle it makes a strange "static or grinding" sound after traveling 1-2 minutes. Only lasts a split second. Doesn't seem to matter if it is cold or warm out.

Want to get this figured out while still under warranty. Dealer did something w/ steering column and is waiting on another part, but for now it hasn't been fixed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    nc5 said: Second, every time I start the vehicle it makes a strange "static or grinding" sound after traveling 1-2 minutes. Only lasts a split second. Doesn't seem to matter if it is cold or warm out.
    I think this is a normal thing with all Suburbans. There was a post on this some time ago...I can't remember exactly what the sound was....something to do with the vehicle electrical system.....maybe a systems check upon start-up...whatever. Not to worry.
  • nc5nc5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. I had also heard it was related to the anti-lock breaks doing a "check" as well. Have not bought a used vehicle for some time and I think I'm just a little nervous w/out having the safety of a warranty.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    I'm getting 2 noises from front left. The first is a "thump", like what you might feel with a warped rotor, except I don't feel anything through the brake pedal. I mainly just hear it. Seems to be most noticeable when I'm coasting. The second, is a rattle from the front left that seems most noticeable when turning to the left.

I had yet a third rattle, which was the steering column sleeve that was replaced through a recall.

I'm thinking I need to take it back to the dealer to check these other noises (before the warranty expires). But if anyone has these same issues or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Just found this from a Google search:

Is anyone else having this issu? I have an '05 Tahoe. I hear a low sounding front end rattle/squeak that is heard when going on any uneven roads or bumps. I've looked at all the TSB for the Tahoes/Suburban/Yukon and I found the following TSB:

Suspension - Rattles/Squeaks From Front of Vehicle
    Bulletin No.: 03-03-08-002B Date: November 30, 2005 TECHNICAL Subject:
    Rattle/Squeak from Front of Vehicle (Replace Lower Portion of Upper Insulator Assembly) Models:
    2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    2000-2005 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2000-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to update the correction and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-002A (Section 03 - Suspension). Condition Some customers may comment on a rattle or squeak type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Cause The front shock absorber plastic pilot ring may be wearing out, causing the shock to misalign in the insulator. Correction DO NOT replace the shock. Replace the lower portion, P/N 15834275 , of the upper insulator assembly using the procedure listed below. This new insulator has a taller plastic pilot ring that is attached to the metal sleeve to aid in the proper alignment of the insulators. 1. Remove the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual. 2. Remove the lower portion of the upper insulator from the shock and discard. 3. Install the new lower portion of the upper insulator to the shock. Important: Be sure to center the shock in the frame bracket and tighten the upper mounting nut when the vehicle is on the ground. 4. Install the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.

http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_29668/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
    Thanks. Took the Tahoe in last week. Showed them this bulletin. It apparently fixed one of the 2 problems. Dealer said the "thump" was caused by tires. They said they rotated the tires, but I still hear/feel the "thump." Also, now my liftgate won't stay up.
    New issue with my 2005 Tahoe: now my lift gate won't stay up. Currently propping it up with a pole. Anyone have this problem, or know of a solution? Is it a warranty item? Thanks.
  • steveorenosteveoreno Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there ever removed the fabric seat covers from the bucket seats in a Tahoe? I need to replace them with factory originals but wonder about how you get the head and arm rests off, etc. I would appreciate some step by step instruction. let me know...Steve H.
    Dealer replaced both rear lift gate strutts yesterday - and it was a warranty item - no charge.
    Turns out it the fix done per the bulleting didn't fix the problem. Also, rotating tires didn't solve the "thump." Took it to dealer yesterday (mainly for the lift gate problem). The shop foreman rode with me, and heard both noises. They made the following repairs, no charge:

Rattle from front left, when turning left
    Cause: noisey E7638 Support, Steering Column Replace 469 WS96
    FC: 2W part#: Count:0

Thumping noise
    Cause: Noisey E7620 Bearing and/or Bushing, Steering Shaft Lower Replace 469 WS96
    1 88963617 Bearing 1 Misc TC

I haven't driven it enough to know whether these fixes solved the problems.
  • tsmith2233tsmith2233 Member Posts: 18
    The other morning, I woke up and noticed oil dripping from the stabilizer bar. Looking under the engine, I cannot tell where it is leaking from. Anyone else have this problem? I would greatly appreciate any input. Also, turning the steering wheel when turning, the front "jumps" a little and/or knocks at least once.
    Had it looked at. Apparently since I already had the timing gasket done, it was leaking at the very front of the oil pan. The oil pan gasket was bad. Got it replaced. No more leaks. The knocking/jumping with turning turned out to be a loose nut on the control arm. Tightened it, and it's fixed. Hope this helps someone.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the follow up report!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The title pretty much explains it all...I heard this was recalled so many years back. I take it this cannot be fixed anymore complimentary of the dealership (if it was recalled)?
  • dixiebriandixiebrian Member Posts: 1
    Replace power steering pump. My 08 was doing the same thing.
  • dayhikerdayhiker Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the ignition on, not even starting there is a fan or sall motor type noise that comes on my 2000 Tahoe w/ 135,000 miles
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    fuel pump?
  • padrerufpadreruf Member Posts: 2
    When I start off -- w/in three blocks -- there is a grinding noise from the left front. Lasts about 5 seconds and then stops. May happen once a day or thereabout. I recently had all brakes, etc., replaced. Any ideas? Other than this it runs fine -- 120,000 miles and going strong.
  • padrerufpadreruf Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't seem to be...I drove 1500 miles over the last two weeks and it was fine. I am thinking it may be the spring on the emergency brake. I park on a slight incline and put the brake on. It was not working properly and they had to adjust it. I read somewhere that a spring can malfunction...I just don't know if that is it.