Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 vs Audi A4 vs BMW 335i

2»

Comments

• spi5spi5 Member Posts: 48
    That is a typo. Should be "than" not "to" - "That is much more fun than running fast in straight line."
    Let me rephrase. - If you want to know something about sports sedan, get a stick shift and play some heel toe. That is just basic. If you are that proud of your G, you should get a (again) stick shift with RWD at the beginning. G35X w/auto is just not what most people known perfect sports sedan setup - Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive and a must have- stick shift.

Even a punk kid can drive G w/auto 0-60 in 6 seconds. What's point? It just show their stupidness.

r34 is right. Sport sedans emphasize more on handling and feedback from the road, not only the power...
    Good to know 2.0T engine is the top 10 engine. However, I like to say, those reviews or rewards are just for reference. Only yourself can decide which car fit for you.

If I just trust all those reviews, I might get a Chevy Malibu at the end. Which I don't like it at all.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    You are funny. I will respond in a somewhat personal manner as your post is personal.

G has been rated very well for handling and road feel thank you very much. BTW, the G35X is AWD up to 20MPH beyond that its 100% RWD unless slippage in detected so in summer the AWD never kicks in beyond 20mph

The punk kids driving 0-60 in 6 seconds are not stupid. Sorry man, there are just having fun smoking your car. :shades:

Personally I love automatics, thats my preference and I will NEVER drive a stick. Thank you very much

Sports cars emphasize handling, feedback & power. A car with all 3 is the better sports car.

Now that we have seen that we cant see eye to eye, we move on.
    Again, it pretty much shows what is your priority - smoke the other car. So it may not worth to discuss further down regarding what is a fine car with an outsider of stick shift.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    "That is a typo. Should be "than" not "to" - "That is much more fun than running fast in straight line."

Did I say that? I looked at my posts but I couldn't find it.

I think both A4 and G35 are nice cars but some drivers may have some issues.
    Some drive the car in a way like driving an Accord or a Grand AM, expecially some G35 coupe drivers (sorry to say that but I saw a lot of them).
    Well thats just sad, you pay +30k for a car & you drive it like a grand am!!!

Cars have different dimensions to them, there is bells & whistles, comfort, quiteness, handling, outright power etc. If you paid +30k, better make sure you are enjoying all those dimensions, within the limits of the law of course :)
    Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I agree with your mature statement "....I think sport sedans emphasize more on handling and feedback from the road, not only the power.....". That is pretty much what I thought.

Maybe my RX-8 is doing too well on handling and feedback from the road. That is why I do not feel G has anything spectacular.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    No offense here, but most of your responses are "I don't care about this".
    This is why each individual has to decide which car is best for them.
    Certainly, don't go by other's opinions or by what C&D says...

As for interior room, I love my G.
    I'm 6' and very, very comfy in my car. I may also add that I'm currently driving an Enterprise rental for a few days, since some dingbat tapped my rear bumper at a red light :mad:
    It's a huge 12mpg Jeep Commander and it has LESS interior room than my G. I don't care about cubic feet of cargo... I care about whether or not my kids can fit into their booster seats in the back with their feet hitting my seat. The G is just fine for me and my needs.

On a side note... I despise Enterprise. They lose my reservation for a Premium or Luxury sedan and after an hour of waiting, they place me in the Canyonero from the Simpsons. :sick:
  • 1speedbike1speedbike Member Posts: 2
    I know they're all in the same category, but they're all such different cars! I've been car shopping recently (it's taking me forever since there's so many $30k-50k sports/luxury cars) and I've learned a lot in recent weeks about the pluses and minuses of almost every brand.

One thing to note is that when you get into this segment of cars (especially if you're used to driving non-luxury or non-sports cars, as I am), is that yes reviews point out all kinds of pro's and con's to each car, but most of the cars in this class are comfortable, luxurious, a pleasure to drive, and beautiful anyway to such an extent that you only notice a difference if you drive them one after another, or if you're already used to driving a certain make/model and switch to a new one. Overall they're all great cars (japanese, american, and german!)

Here's my take (and remember, it's just an opinion based on recent experience):

335i - Best traits: No contest winner in terms of driving pleasurability, handling, and overall performance. Cool styling.
    Worst traits: They're so common nowadays you'll be one in a sea of 3-series, boring and unluxurious interior (in my opinion at least), options cost way too much and its near impossible to find a model with only a few options.

A4 - Best traits: More luxurious and beautiful interior than others, decent looking, one of the best all wheel drive systems you can get
    Worst traits: Not as sporty as others, base engine is worthless for a "sport" sedan, front-heavy.

G35 - Best traits: Awesome engine, interior looks better than BMW, quite cheap for what you get (lots of standard equipment too!), very good handling
    Worst traits: Depending on where you live it can be as everyday as the 3-series, interior not as nice as Audi's, more unrefined than either Audi or Bmw, horrible manual transmission (at least for this caliber of car)

CTS -Best traits: Powerful engine with direct injection, beautiful and makes you stand out, classy interior is on par (or better in some people's opinon) with Audi's, home grown American made
    Worst traits: Not as sharp and athletic than any of the other cars, only slightly bigger than others but feels a lot bigger than it is, unpredictable reliability, costs more than other cars except maybe BMW with options

So what's my pick? Well actually I'm in the market for a sports coupe, not a sedan, and the Audi A5 is my choice, though Infiniti's G37 and BMW's Z4 are tied for a VERY close 2nd place. Beautiful, refined, luxurious, and though its not as sporty as the Bimmer and not as brutally powerful as the Infiniti, its 256 HP engine is still great, standard all wheel drive (among many other great standard features), and great overall package are a nice blend of everything I'd really want, including good fuel economy (unlike the G37, which is what killed it for me :( ).

Every car has great things and not-so great things about it, but in this luxury/sports segment it's really hard to actually hate any of these cars. They're all great in their own ways, and I'm sure you'll find what's right for you. Hope this helps!
  • 1speedbike1speedbike Member Posts: 2
    I don't wanna be rude, a jerk, or anything, and I do agree with you that the G35 is a very nice car (almost got a G37, only things that held me back were lousy fuel economy and the fact that where I live everyone and their mother drives a G), but if you don't drive stick, I don't think you've truly experienced a sports sedan (or sports coupe/roaster/whatever).

0-60 times in an auto are just a gauge of how big the engine is and how fast the tranny shifts for you. 0-60 times in a stick are a measure of the driver's ability, as well as the car's. I wouldn't feel particularly proud "smoking" someone while driving an automatic because it only shows you got a fast car, says nothing about any other measure of driving performance (Infiniti has very good performance in terms of things other than raw engine power too, just as you mentioned, and I too believe it beats the A4 in that respect, but many of those things are just hampered by the awful stick shift in the G35.. the stick in the G37 is much nicer ;) ), and most of all it shows nothing about the driver except that he can push a pedal down with his foot.. Though automatics can be very fun as well in a car of this caliber, and I agree that they suit a lot of people based on their personal preferences. Just my $0.02..
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    I think you made a great choice. I have an 07 A4 2.0T (the one with the "worthless" engine) and it is a great car. My only complaints, as you pointed out, is the car is quite nose heavy, and the engine can be coarse at times. I know the new model A4 is more balanced than the one I have.
    Well I didnt think you were being rude.

Here is my take, I started driving at the age of 14. I drove a stick, thats how I learnt to drive. I know kids (both boys & girls) who drive sticks as young as 12 years ( in some countries the law is not as heavily enforced as in the US). In addition, the US is probably the only place in the world were the majority of the cars are autos, everywhere else its the reverse. So at any day, anytime I can drive a stick just as well as any other driver and so can most people in the rest of the world (other than the US)

OK, now that we have demistified the use of the stick (for its easy, a lot of people every else in the world drive stcks), I prefer autos (realize that I can drivea stick sport sedan just as well as the next guy). Its just a personal preference. When buying a car I look for

Engine with respectable 0-60, mnm of 300 horse this day & age
    Bells and whistles
    Pricing (the more I can get with everything from this list, the better)
    Interior
    Reliability
    Interior room
    and last, handling. (never let anyone define this part for you, thats what I say)

In addition, the car has to pass this test: Does the car deliver all the above more than say a fully loaded 3.5 V6 priced a couple of thousands less. If you look at my list above, the Altima (this is just an example, I could have a comparable 3.5l V6). The G passes this test with extraordinary ability. All the 09 A4s, as far as I am concerned fall short in a number of those categories.

Just my 2 cents
    One more praise you. A5 - Good taste! :shades:
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Fewer and fewer people in the US drive stick nowadays. I kinda agree with speedbike, when it comes to pure sports sedan manual is just the way to go. I do however understand the preference for autos, as its the best way to commute particularly in urban areas. I love sticks, but now since I commute downtown everyday I'd have to settle for auto.

That said, as much as a stick fan I am I'd never buy a manual G, the tranny is just too rubbery and somewhat balky.

Btw what do you think of the upcoming A4? It's already available in asia and the looks really turn heads. I believe this will heat up the BMW vs Audi competition. True the bmw will have the handling edge, but audi will trump bmw in material quality, and fit-finish. Mercedes c-class, will trail both at best...
  • hauschildhauschild Member Posts: 62
    That is a good question - just how good a car is the new C-class from Mercedes??? It certainly is pricey with AWD and reasonable options.
    "That said, as much as a stick fan I am I'd never buy a manual G, the tranny is just too rubbery and somewhat balky. "

You should try the stick shift in RX8 or Miata. It is so sweet. I miss it.....
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I tested a G35 2 weeks ago....I could live with the $9K savings vs. 335.

Regards,
    OW
    Are you getting the 09, there is a rumor its a 330hp engine plus all the future improvements that come with a refreshed model. All the best
    yes the C is pricy, but if I consider the C I'd go all the way to C350. When you count them up with options the C350 will cost around $2000 over the C300 (rwd). MB has the poorest quality among the 3 germans, so personally buying C300 awd is a bad idea imo.

What you might not notice is the C is now cheaper than both A4 and 3series. A dealer offered me a loaded C350 for $39k, far cheaper than 335's $42k.

Of course, the notion "you get what you pay for" really works here. The new C's interior feels noticeably cheaper than the bmw's (touch the upper dash and you'll know what I mean), engine not so refined, and fit-finish is poor at these prices.

With Audi rising in popularity (and rising standards in quality) I cant help but wonder if the C will sink even lower in this contest, as a bmw salesman complained that their sales has lowered while Audi's rise significantly. Oddly, the numbers so far dont seem to agree. Audi's sales has been by far lower than MB and BMWs....I wonder which one is right?

Acura: 12,456
    Audi: 8,203
    BMW: 20,944
    Infiniti: 9,304
    Lexus: 20,253
    Lincoln: 9,718
    Mercedes Benz: 19,576
    Yes...it will be the '09...hope there is new tech for improved fuel mileage.

Regards,
    OW
    bear in mind that each of those car manufacturers have different models under one roof. Mercedes has the most, then BMW, the Audi, then lexus, then Acura then lastly Infiniti. Mercedes makes nice cars like the sl series, for which it does not compete with any of the brands above, but when we are talking of the c class, the story changes.
    Nice. I think you can't go wrong with that one. I have a 2 year lease on an '08 can't wait to get into the '10 which will be the same as the '09. Nothing else on the market now and projected for next year excites me but the G.

Cant wait for your posts on your experience on the new car :)
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Audi's new 2009 A4 will be extremely competitve when it gets here in a few months.

Growing a huge 6 inches in the wheelbase, it'll be the largest car in it's class.

The new 2.0T will be the best motor on the market. 211 hp / and almost 260lb ft of torque and 10/15 % better fuel economy. It's better than BMW's and MB base 6 cyl motors.

As premium gas approached $5 gallon, Audi will do incredible business on the new 2.0T.
    I agree and have been thinking about the advantage Audi will have since they have a turbocharged 4 banger as opposed to a V6 or V8. Certainly, there will be people like myself who enjoy luxury and performance but do not feel 300 horsepower is worth the gas.

I am curious since I am a fairly new A4 owner whether the turbo is always used, or whether it kicks in only when you apply the throttle with a certain amount of pressure? I always try take off very gingerly so as not to kick in the turbo unnecessarily, but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or if it does increase gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, I drop the hammer on occassion, but most of the time I prefer better mileage. After all, the feel of quick acceleration is fun and all, but it gets old - especially at 5 bucks a pop.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Audi's new 2.0T will still do 0-60 in mid/upper 6's, and that's for a Quattro. The incredible low end torque of the 09 model is going to make that car a blast to drive. Especially with a 6 speed.

I think the hp wars have gotten really ridiculous, and everybody trying to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds is not what most people look for in a car.

Even 6-7 years ago, 270-280 was top of the line for most cars. Now a G35 has 330hp in a V6. There's more to a car than 0-60, and the overall handling and driving experience will count for a lot more.

And with gas @ $5 gallon, people will be making different choices. We're never going back to 2.50 gas.

There's a major change in the automotive industry ahead. And Audi is in perfect position with their cars.
    Never tested an Audi because the local dealer here turned me off once so I decided to go elsewhere (BMW). I just drove the 2008 G and I really like it. For $38K, it has a lot to offer.

Regards,
    OW
    I have to agree that compared to the 328i, the new A4 will be a better buy even if equally priced. However, I would not be suprised to see the sales numbers showing the 328i in the lead. People flock to BMW dealerships, maybe to get the 335i but realize its pricey and then settle for the 328i:) In all honesty I have no idea why the 328i sells as much as it does. Ultimately it sales no matter what anyone thinks.

In addition, the A4 2l engine will be fuel efficient. But against the 330 or 300Hp G, maybe +280hp TL the A4 is not at par here. Someone said the 200/256 A4 "is a blast to drive", can you imagine how it feels to drive a 300/268 G? Personally, for up to 40k, I want as much HP & everything else that I can squeeze in for that amount. For fuel efficiency, I use my 140hp 2004 commuter car (+30mpg)

The G & TL have a lot more to offer other than HP, details of which I wont get into as it should be pretty evident if you have read about these 2 cars.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    Reminds me of the late '70s, early '80s. Gas prices rising and supply tenuous at times. The answer? Hot hatches! Rabbit GTIs, Mitsu/Chrysler Turbos. Turbos boosted your performance without too much sacrifice in mpg. I had an '85 Mirage Turbo, fun fun fun.

Yes, the last several year the HP wars have gotten stupid. Sure, more power is good, but really where (as a suburban denizen) am I going to take advantage of 300+ ponies? I'll be quite happy with a wonderfully turbo'd four or powerful enough 6 (a la my TL) in the future. Unless the 8 is as economical as a powerful 6, like the XK from what I've read (yeah, Aluminum!).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

The turbos fuel econs a bit overhyped? I mean it exists in the Mazda CX7 (turbo 4), yet the fuel economy is equal to a V6's.
    Another thing about turbos I'm still concerned of is its durability. Turbos, particularly higher pressure ones, require some cooling down time before the engine can be shut off. That is if you want the turbo to last. How many of you wait for a few mins before shutting down the engine? I doubt there are more than a few.

Hauschild, turbos kick in at certain rpm limit, usually starts at 3000 rpm or so. So if you keep your engine at lower rpms the turbo may not kick in, if your car's an automatic, you'll have to use the manumatic to control the shifts. Turbo's main purpose is to increase speed, while a compressor (or supercharger) is meant to push torque and hammer the acceleration at lower rpms. Of course, you cant use both at the same time on stock engine, unless you want to blow up the cylinders.
    I heard that new turbo doesn't require several mins to be cool off, as long as you drive the car at normal speed before you shut off the engine.

If you have twin turbo, it helps to build up the boost.

You get the torque much quicker with a turbo car. It is more fun in driving it too.

Make sure you use premium gas.
    I heard that new turbo doesn't require several mins to be cool off, as long as you drive the car at normal speed before you shut off the engine.

Thats because at normal, presumably lower speed the turbo doesnt work. Remember that turbos dont kick in unless the engine reach certain rpm limit.
    Maybe it should be "the turbo will not be fully utilized before certain rpm".
    I saw the turbo needle of my Saab moved when the car started to move. Most of the torque came out around 2000rpm. I don't need to wait till 3000 or 4000 rpm. However the lag is much more obvious than the 335i.
    My co-worker who had a 300Z twin turbo told me he never noticed any turbo lag.
    m4d_cow - thanks for the info about the point at which the turbo kicks in.

I am getting around 25 MPG city (all stop and go and roughly 30-45 speed limit for 8 miles to and from work) by not using the turbo. When I first got the car, I was getting around 21 - so I'm not sure if I can chalk that up to winter driving versus summer, or if my lighter foot is having an impact.

At any rate thanks.
    np :)
This discussion has been closed.