Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Power Windows

Comments

• sarah1389sarah1389 Member Posts: 3
    You need to suck it up. I have had all 4 windows replaced in my 2006 Liberty. Just accept the fact that NO CORPORATION takes responsibility. As for American Auto makers not giving a damn about quality anymore I'm not sure if you have heard of them but there's this company TOYOTA that's been in the news and has had some major issues.
  • dlafoot1dlafoot1 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for this blog. I now do not feel alone. I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty with 53,000+ miles. The window regulator issue - same window - rear driver's side - has happened to me twice before. Last year I finally contacted Chrysler and after a while - was reimbursed. Well lo and behold, while attending my nephew's graduation out of state this past Thursday, it happened again. Well fortunately I had a GPS to locate the closest Jeep service center who could lock it up overnight and repair it on Friday - to the tune of $415 !! Fortunately I found some posts out here from others with similar problems. I contacted Chrysler a few minutes ago, was given a case number and a promise of a return call by 8pm tomorrow night. So hopefully I will be reimbursed. However, this really does not fix the problem. At this point, I am tempted to post a note on my window to make sure that anyone in the back seat never even THINKS about lowering that window. So frustrating.
    Thank you for your info. See my experience below.
  • nomorejeeps1nomorejeeps1 Member Posts: 1
    Im on my 8th repair. So crazy. Today the man said the next time I would have to pay a co/pay cause it would go on my extended warranty. I think that this should just be covered by chrystler cause they keep fixing it with a faulty part.Im calling them to see what they say. Im never ever going to buy a jeep again.
  • travlinsamtravlinsam Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    If it wasn't for a few minor items, I'd say this Jeep Liberty (2007 Sport) has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned and I enjoy it very much.

That being said, yes...windows...big problem. Fabric seats stain with water drops, but I've been able to clean them easily enough with a over-the-counter fabric cleaner. Oh...and the A/C is not the coldest...but other than that...I love my little Liberty.

As a fix to end the frustration, do a search online for a replacement kit. There is a guy online who builds metal replacement kits and has good instructions for you to do it yourself. Before you ask, I can't give out the website...sorry...I got told off for giving out the website before. Just do a little search/investigative work and you'll find it.

Even if you don't have the mechanical ability, this is an easy fix...have a friend do it or hire a local garage to take care of your problem window.

Sam
    So I contacted Chrysler and they are going to reimburse me 50% of the price of repair. Better than nothing. In the future - I am hoping this does not happen again, but to make sure, I may not even use that window at all - since it is the same one each time. Also if it does happen again - as noted by someone in a previous post, I will certainly be 'surfing the web' for a metal fix.
  • dcworlddcworld Member Posts: 3
    Had my Jeep windows fixed 3 times under warranty. Now i am out of warranty with 3 windows tied up and the 4th one about to go.

I called Chrysler on Friday and got my case number. They called back Monday and setup an appointment for Wed. so the dealer can diagnose the problem that we all know what it is. Dropped it off today and the delaer said they will fix all 4 windows at no charge. :)
  • amy103amy103 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering, where/who did you call exactly to get some help with this problem....I just had my fourth window regulator replaced and of course not under warranty anymore. It was nearly $500 to replace! Did you just google Chrysler and get a main contact number?
  • dcworlddcworld Member Posts: 3
    Here is the number 1-800-992-1997. Just got my Jeep back yesterday with 4 new windows and regulators at no charge. Hope you have as good a luck as I did.
  • smurrowsmurrow Member Posts: 5
    What I'd like to know is what are they replacing it with--is it another cheapo plastic piece, just designed differently (so you have to replace the entire window also)? Or have they finally figured out they should make it out of metal?
    Thanks so much! I plan to call on Monday and hope I get some if not all of the money I spent on the window back.
  • sherri9sherri9 Member Posts: 3
    Just got the news that my driver's side passenger window regulator must be replaced. I got a tip from a friend that they also had a Liberty and had multiple problems with their window. This is the first time I have had an issue, but was surprised when the window just quit one day, because I almost never use the rear windows. In reading thru these posts I sure hope that I don't start having the recurring issues with my windows as some of you have had. Mine is a 2002 with 80k miles.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any luck getting reimbursed for their first-time problem? I am hoping this isn't the start of problems to come. I didn't know if I stood a chance at getting reimbursed when this is the first window regulator/motor I've had to have replaced. Also, can someone give me a number to call to contact them?
  • jdp2000jdp2000 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this vehicle from Clear Lake Dodge in Clear Lake Texas. It is a 2007 Liberty and has about 45,000 miles on it. I found this website before I purchased the vehicle and sent an email to the dealer with a link to this website. They stated that they never heard of this problem. I foolishly bought the vehicle and 5 days later the passenger side window fell and will not go back up. I bought a contract that will cover this though now I wish I never bought this !
  • gobucks14gobucks14 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys! I have a 2002 Liberty and it looks like I have a different window situation than most. My driver's window still goes (and stays) up, but when I try to have it go down, the worm coil pops us from the seal inside and the window doesn't move. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
  • jdp2000jdp2000 Member Posts: 2
    I will give Clear Lake Dodge credit they fixed it and charged me nothing.
  • shannon31shannon31 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty and I am on my fourth window to replace. I sent certified letters to Chrysler, Better Business Bureau and my Jeep Dealership explaining the situation. I am still waiting to hear back from Chrysler but wanted to get an update on your experience. This seems to be an ongoing issue with a product of Chryslers and they are responsible for fixing it...not just sticking a band aid over the problem. It seems like there are enough people with the same concerns to form a class action suit.
  • starviablustarviablu Member Posts: 1
    I just had my back rear window fall of track and luckily my boyfriend came across this thread. I immediately called my jeep dealership in San Jose, CA and asked what they can do for me. He said that Jeep is currently in the process of putting together a recall for 250,000 vehicles and they just haven't processed it yet because they are making sure that all the dealerships have the necessary parts to handle all the recalls (so they're in the process of ordering parts). As of right now Jason, the manager at Normandie Jeep in San Jose, CA told me that they will fix my window for $135 (instead of $500) and I should keep my paperwork. Once the jeep recall comes out, I should submit my paperwork and they will reimburse me for that cost. From what I gathered, Jeep will reimburse anyone who has their paperwork for the repairs for the windows and went through the Jeep dealership to get their cars fixed.

I hope that helps. But for sure all our Jeeps WILL be recalled in the next few months! :)
    I hear ya! Glad to hear about the future recall as my back right passenger window is being held up by duct tape. I refuse to pay to get it fixed. I'm also in the process of having Chrysler reimburse me for the past two times I've had to pay $350 (x2) to replace the regulator....that is, when Chrysler decides to call me back. Good luck!
  • beachpatty69beachpatty69 Member Posts: 8
    Woo hoo Thank You! I am on my 3rd falling window, the first 2 were fixed under warranty, this one is held up by tape, I just can't afford it now!
    Please post when you get any further info, should I contact my dealer or wait, ya think?
    Thanx again, you made my day!
    Beachpatty
    :)
    I actually called a number I got from someone else on this forum and spoke to a customer service person, they directed my called to another section who called me back within a day or two, heard my complaint, checked with supervisors, called me back again BUT ultimately said they would reimburse the total amount I spent on the 4th window...I sent them the info they required and now I am waiting to hear back OR get a check....Here is the number 1-800-992-1997
  • glen21glen21 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone pleasse help. I purchased a 2006 Liberty used from a respectable dealership. First few months great then it happened.Iwent to work and the sunroof wouldnt close,clear sky I thought I had nothing to worry about.I thought I had a blown fuse and would fix it after work.Well 2 hours later a major thunderstorm came through 2.5 inches of rain in less than 45 minutes.I could the sunroof closed and at the time windows wouldnt go down or move at all. now nothins as far as windows or sunroof work. Has anyone else had problems with sunroofs could this be covered under the recall. Left high but not dry.
  • lofjalofja Member Posts: 1
    I just got to work after another 3 hour visit to the dealership. 11 months ago my driver side rear window regulator broke and I had to have it fixed. They said it happens because of the heat. Fine, I forked out a few hundred dollars and a few hours of my time. Then Yesterday I got into my car and sure enough the window was down, when I tried to roll it up and nothing happened I immediately called the dealership. They set me up with an appointment for this morning. When I got there they told me that the warranty on the part was for 12 months or 12,000 miles. I was then told that since I had put 16,000 mils on my Jeep they were not responsible to cover it. Somehow it was my problem. When I complained the service manager told me that they reward loyalty, so if I had been a loyal customer they could have helped me, but since I don’t get my oil changed there and other maintenance, there is nothing she could do. Are you kidding me?
    Just got off the phone with Chrysler and they said that they will reimburse me for the window that I've already paid for (minus $50) and all I have to pay for CURRENT window repair is $50. I asked the representative about a future recall and he didn't have any information (I'm sure that's what they have to say). However, he did say that if a recall does come out, they will reimburse the copay of $50 for each window replaced. Bottom line...hold on to your receipts!
  • zoom_beezoom_bee Member Posts: 1
    3d time today the rear window just fell down in my 2006 Jeep Liberty.
    In 2008 both the passenger and Driver side windows dropped within a week of each other. The dealer covered the repair cost. The technician told me that there was a problem with these Jeep windows but no recall existed at the time. Sure enough two years almost to the day the rear driverside dropped. The rear windows are never used in the vehicle so it wasn't like it was warn out. I just set-up another appointment with the dealer any they let me know that the Jeep is not under warranty anymore.
  • aimeeeaimeee Member Posts: 2
    For the fifth time I have taken my Jeep Liberty 2007 to have the window regulator replaced... The two front windows sound like crap. The back one fell down and didn't come up again.. I am sick and tired of paying my hard earned money to have these window replaced. I am so ill and mad at Chrysler not repairing this or having a recall. This is not right.
    Does anyone know how to get help on this???!!!
  • aimeeeaimeee Member Posts: 2
    Are you still working on your case? I have had five window regulators put in on my 2007. I am sick of it and to the point I just want to trade it. I do live in Auburn, Al and it does get hot, I just wish they would fix the problem.
    Call the Chrysler Corporate office, they'll give you a case number and demand that they pay for the repairs, as well as, reimburse you for the windows you have already paid for. You have to show proof of payment but they should be able to honor that request. I just picked up my car from having it's fourth window replaced. I asked the Service Rep is they replaced it with the same plastic peice and he said yes but he said that Chrysler is working on replacing them....whatever and how ever long that means. I will NEVER purchase a Chrysler product again...I can't believe they are still in business.
  • lorenjpiercelorenjpierce Member Posts: 1
    I am taking my 2007 Jeep Liberty back to the dealer for my 6th repair. I was just told today that Chrysler has authorized all window repairs free of charge and that this will be on going. I received this information from Jeep Lithia in Reno, Nevada. Ask your dealer about this. It is not a recall but is a service advisory notice.
  • 12sunflowers12sunflowers Member Posts: 1
    where can I get these metal regulators?? I am tired of this window problem. almost a year to the day, my second window has broken. I was able to contact chrysler and they are supposedly going to refund some of the repairs. The representative said if I could find my paperwork from last year they can help refund that as well.
  • kenf3kenf3 Member Posts: 3
    Search the internet for
    "jeep liberty power window regulator repair kit" and you will find it. There is a different part number for left and right side. When installing, I had to grind or file down the end of the metal wire the window rides on so that it would screw on properly. The easiest way to remove the fuzzy stuff at the end to allow it to be screwed on is to use a propane torch for about 5 seconds.

I replaced one of the windows with the OEM part which promptly broke again in less than a year. The two I replaced with the metal part are working just fine.
  • mycookiesmycookies Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Jeep Liberty and in the last 24 months we have had 4 windows replaced - one of them twice! It's my daughter's and when she tried to get the last one fixed out of warranty they tried to charge her an arm-and-leg, but my husband let them have a piece of his mind and they reduced it to $100. Now I'm hearing that they are covering the price of fixing them. Is this true??? She's off at college in another state and who knows where or when a window might just fall down and how quickly it can be fixed. This is a terrible situation for a young lady to have to deal with! Why do they keep replacing them with plastic regulators????
  • diana74diana74 Member Posts: 1
    Last week I took my Jeep in for the third time with this problem--the second time on this particular window!! I called Jeep and explained the problem, she told me to take the car to the dealer and the cost would be covered either through the dealer or through a re-imbursement check sent to me. The cost was covered at the dealer, and listed as a warranty item (the Jeep is NOT under warranty anymore).
    Needless to say, I LOVE Jeeps, this is the second Liberty I've owned, but sadly, it will be the last. I'll be getting a Ford next summer.
  • lionfoxxlionfoxx Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Everything I am hearing is leading to a recall, from online people been stating some dealers have already replaced their regulators even if not under warranty. In my case I have 2 already documented with Jeep replacement, and they did something another time right after fixing one that is not in the service system. Now I have another one failing, well actually failed 08/20/10 and I am being told by Jeep dealers I have to buy the window regulator combo.

I just got off the phone from OEMJEEPPARTS, they are an actual Jeep dealer in Texas, the guy said the 2007 part number is 4589266AB for the original regulator if can be found is about $33.99, but he said there is actually a NEW part number that is 4589266AC, that says in process in their Jeep parts system, he said its a Chrysler part not released yet and price listed is $72.64, so hopefully they are back stocking the parts then will release the recall. In my case I probably will have to buy the dealer older model version that requires the window replacement which now is listed at $275 approximately. This sucks, I been told if a recall is issues I could file a claim for a refund, who knows how long that would take they probably will give us some run around that it was before the recall and doesn't qualify.

Figured I would pass the information along.

Thanks,

2007 Liberty Sport
    50,450 miles
    1st window Drivers Door September 2008
    2nd issue was couple days after first, dealer fixed but didn't put in system evidently
    3rd window Drivers Rear Door June 2009
    4th Passenger Rear August 2010<-Not Under Warranty

I have also complaied about the shifting of the automatic transmissions , and how it grabs funny. I moved to automatic from standard shift and the dearler said they could not find anything, I get the same issues as others the mysterous vibration shutter feeling. The dealer said, "Oh thats normal they ALL DO THAT" ....

Now I see a TSB posted about a Torque Converter Shutter? I Hope my Tranny doesn't die....
  • vicvillevicville Member Posts: 19
    Ok now my passenger window just popped this evening, and it wont go back up, the drivers did this about 4 months ago, now im under extended warantee, this pisses me off, so now I have to pay 100 ded. I have only had this jeep less than 3 years, i like it, but this window thing is pissing me off... now i have to have a wedge in the door to keep the window up... off to the dealer monday .. ugh..
  • casper273casper273 Member Posts: 2
    Hope you are still around, I have the same issue on my 03 Liberty, the plastic case for the coil split open right below the top of the door. So far I tried clamping the two pieces together but that didnt work. Was wondering if you have had any luck with yours yet.
  • andrevale13andrevale13 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, I didn't fix my window yet. I found a way to stop the window to fall and I am not using the window at all...
    Some people give me this links that may be helpful:

Check out this page: http://jeepwindowproblem.weebly.com/

Go to www.steigerperformance.com
    They have a good fix for under $100 that you can do yourself
  • casper273casper273 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll check those out and let you know if I find a simple fix.
    I do think having the coil come out of the top of the door is a hazard as someone could get their fingers in the loop when it is being drawn back into the door on a window up activation. Thanks again
  • jim394jim394 Member Posts: 1
    I live in NEW YORK I have an 06 liberty and the left rear pass side window crapped out on me twice, the dealership say's it could cost around 4- 500 to fix it again, I got it back on the last time but enough is enough
    My repair came to $415. Chrysler reimbursed me half ! This too was the second time for me. The first time 2 yrs ago - all was reimbursed. It happens at the most inopportune time. I don't even use that window anymore - driver's side rear.
    edited September 2010
    Last Saturday, my drivers window crapped out. This.morning, as I went to leave for the dealership, I rolled down my passenger side window and POP it went! Two different windows in the space of 48 hours. Dealer says the fix includes replacing the glass & I will have to pay a deductible, but he's looking to get some relief from Jeep HQ. I will report what happens when I get the results.
  • hwexlerhwexler Member Posts: 6
    I had both driver's side regualtors & windows replaced while my 2007 Liberty was under original 3/36,000 warranty. Yesterday,my rear passenger window popped. I took it to dealer & they said car is no longer under original warranty. I said thats ok becuase I have extended warranty. Well, you guessed it, this particular problem is not covered under Chrysler's extended warranty. There is only 34k miles on the car but the 3 years are up. Dealer wanted $605 to repair. I called Chrysler & opened a case yesterday. Today they called me back & said that they will pay for repair as a courtesy! When is the damn recall coming?
  • papaindigopapaindigo Member Posts: 1
    In most cases the failure is due to a broken plastic bracket that attaches the window to the regulator wire coil. The factory fix is costly and doesn't replace the plastic bracket. The permanent fix is to replace that bracket with a metal one for about $90 and ca. 1 hrs labor per window. The brackets and full instructions can be obtained from Steiger Performance; just Google them. Follow the instructions carefully especially for 05/06 KJs the angle of the ball that engages the new bracket (MUST be straight and the retaining clip must be completely behind the ball on both sides). Removal of the fuzz is easy with a drill driven wire wheel although some say a light application of a cigarete lighter or propane tourch will do (I did not they the latter).
    Okay...took my 2007 Liberty in on Wednesday with the two broken front windows. Dealership called me back and said it wasn't under warranty (even though I had paid $2,000 for a 5 year/75,000 mile extended warranty and my Liberty only (?) has 68,000 miles on it at the moment)...he did say that my extended warranty would not cover the "new glass" since the "new" fix requires the replacement of the glass as well. I started to express my displeasure, but he quickly said that he'd try and get Chrysler to cover the glass costs.

Phone call later that day was to confirm that Chrysler would cover the glass and that my repairs would cost me $0.00.

I spoke to him about the chances of repeat window failures on this fix and was assured that the "old" plastic part had been replaced with a good fix.

The dealership that I used for this servicing was Farrish in Farifax, VA and I have been very satisfied with their customer service for the most part.

Sam
    Be forewarned...if your front windows "sound like crap" and are tilting when raising, they are about to fail (I had both of mine fail with 72 hours of each other).

Jeep tried to say that the windows just needed lubricating (BS). A couple thousand miles later they failed BIG TIME.

Talk to your Jeep Service Department BEFORE they fail to get their opinion on what they will do if/when you come in with them broken. Will they try and get Chrysler to pay for them all? Will there be a deductible? Are you still under warranty? Even though they might tell you that you have to wait and see, don't accept that answer. Get educated before they throw a $600 - $700 bill your way to replace those two windows.

Just a thought...
  • smirelessmireles Member Posts: 1
    My two front windows, and back left window all started to go at the same time. The back one totally stopped working (I rolled it down, it made a horrible noise, and started to slide into the door.) Luckily the back window didn't fall completely into the door - I could still manually push it back up. I called a Chrysler number that someone posted on this forum earlier 1-800-992-1997. I got a case number, and case worker, and took it to a dealer for a diagnosis. The regulators on all three windows, and the glass on the back window had to be replaced. I didn't hear back from Chrysler for over a week. I was persistent though, and kept calling them. Then in that time period my front driver's side window completely stopped working, and slid into the door. Chrysler agreed to pay for everything (minus the $100 diagnosis fee) and fixed all three windows. The regulators had to be replaced, as well as the glass on the two left windows. Now I'm just waiting for the back right window to go - I'm going to try to avoid using it. When I initially called the dealership they weren't aware of any recalls, and weren't going to cover the costs. Definitely call Chrysler before taking it to a dealer to get fixed. No one should have to pay for faulty equipment. My Liberty is a 2007, with only 40,000 miles. My car was no longer under warranty, but Chrysler was very nice about it and paid for it.
  • hallmammahallmamma Member Posts: 1
    The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is trying to collect enough complaints to open an investigation. You can file a complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

They have received enough of them that they did not even have to look it up on the computer to see if anything is happening. The man that I spoke with suggested that I spread the word on any Jeep Liberty forums that I was aware of. Good luck to us all!
  • donwebedonwebe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Liberty. Live in Colo. Apr - Nov and Ariz. Dec - Mar. I believe most of the window problems with the Liberty are a result of too much friction between the glass and the channels the glass runs in. I bought a good sized bottle of graphite at Ace Hrdwr. When I notice a window beginning to slow or stick, I run the window to the bottom stop and squirt some powdered graphite between the glsss and the channels. Then run the window up and down several times to distribute the graphite. Lasts quite a while before sticking again! I haven't had to replace a window or any parts yet. Good Luck
  • jduceyjducey Member Posts: 1
    We have two Jeep Libertys in the family - ours is a 2005, our daughter's is a 2004. Both have had the back driver's side rear window regulators break. This means that not only will the window not function for up and down (which we could live with) but that the windows fall down and won't stay up. We had ours fixed in June '09 - Chrysler (obviously knowing there is a problem) covered the part even though the vehicle was out of warranty. That still left us with $220 in labor to replace what Chrysler knows is a junk part, but for which they will not do a recall.

The same window in the same Liberty broke again less than one year later. Chrysler will help to fix again, but subject to a $75 deductible this time. They basically put it to me that they are under no obligation to do anything and subtly implied that we should therefore be grateful for any assistance at all. To my way of thinking, this back-seat window in a childless vechicle gets no use at all and therefore would not be breaking but for a defective part. Talking to others and researching sites like this confirm that others are having problems, supporting the defect theory.

My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required. She feels that based on our experience, it will just break again so why put out the money. She'll just live with a taped window and a little Chrysler story to tell whenever anyone asks. (By the way, it's not convenient to take a car to the dealership and wait 2 hours for the diagnosis Chrysler requires, then back again for the needed repair - times 2 cars in our case.)

Chrysler, if you're listening, when you know you've got a defective part, a recall is the right thing to do. Too expensive? At least fix the ones that are broken so the customer is not out-of-pocket for anything. Don't want to do that either? We understand - that's what it's come to in Corporate America. That Town and Country looked pretty good as our next vehicle, but knowing how you operate, I won't ever buy another Chrysler.
  • haroldperkinsharoldperkins Member Posts: 1
    Four times on the right rear and four times on the left rear in the last two years. I just got off the phone with Chrysler corporate and the guy actually said "I haven't heard of people having problems with the window regulators recently."

Are you serious?!?!

Chrysler says it must be a problem with the tech that's installing the part. Yeah, right. Once again, I have to go through the ordeal of taking it to the dealer to have them "investigate" and give a recommendation to Chrysler. Then wait for the "offer" from Chrysler on how much of the cost they will pay.

The only permanent solution I can find is packing tape to hold the window up.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2010
    So people have had luck using rubber suction cups (like those to hold NAV systems to the windshield) on the inside of the window. More flexible than tape, since you can actually "open" the window without losing the glass in the door. See Post #127.

250 posts, and busted regulators are new to the Chrysler CSR? Must have just hired on today. :sick: