Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Power Windows

123457»

Comments

• kregis1kregis1 Member Posts: 1
    My service advisor gave me the # to Jeep/Chrysler (1-800-763-8422) and I was assigned a case manager. The case manager was going to make me pay for the repair up front and they were going to reimburse me if it was the same issue (as in previous repairs). I argued with the case manager and they finally agreed to fix it with no money out of my pocket. I already had the drivers side rear window fixed 5 times and the rear passenger window fixed 4 times (2006 jeep liberty) and I wasn't about to pay for it again (luckily a few of those times- the repair was still under warranty).
  • sherryl2sherryl2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty, 2 weeks ago had the rear passenger side window repaired for the 2nd time, then this week had the rear driver's side repaired for the THIRD time! The window on drivers side has been repaired once. the only window that hasn't had an issue "yet" is the front passenger window. I'm wondering now if they are fixing without replacing parts as much as this has happened to me. I received an "extended" warantee to 7 years, but it's such a hassle to keep taking it in not to mention, locking my car against theft is a joke! so frustrated! thank you for this post..my front drivers window is making noise again, so will make a call to the number posted here to see if I can get this fixed permanently.
  • j1965mustangj1965mustang Member Posts: 2
    My rear passenger window fell for the 3rd time. The rear driver side window broke once. Jeep did give me my money back for the first 3 repairs, but want me to pay a $50 "deductible" for todays repair. This is crazy!!! Oh.........but they think they have it "fixed" now.
  • tina34tina34 Member Posts: 2
    Why did Jeep give you money back for the first 3 repairs? Is there a recall? I am asking because my driver window will not roll up and I noticed that this is a very common problem with jeep.
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    Purchased a used 06 Jeep Liberty 66.415 miles Oct.10 and this year the left rear window dropped down and found the part that lifts the window defective or bad design.
    I Wrote Chrysler and received a letter back unsigned with the name Stephanie that they had reviewed and concur with their previous decision (something of what I do not know).
    The truth is that Jeep Liberty has a bad window design and a window may drop down at anytime
    and they know this from all the reports received!
    I say before buying a Jeep Liberty do your home work, this window problem is a big and cost problem.
  • tina34tina34 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jeep O6! :)
  • looseylucylooseylucy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade with 107,000 miles and have had NO problems. Now my passenger side window needs the regulator replaced because after rolling it down, it didn't want to come back up. After getting 3 different price quotes for $375, $265, and $220 I did some research online and found I can buy the part from several retailers including Napa and O'Reillys with a lifetime warranty. There are a ton of videos and websites that walk you through installing the regulator that can be used. This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm hoping the last. But if I'm unfortunate enough to have this be a consistent thing as all of you are saying, then I guess my boyfriend will become a pro at installing a window regulator. Thankfully I have someone that can do it for me because I refuse to bring it to any Jeep delearship where I will be overcharged.
  • actmilleractmiller Member Posts: 2
    I repaired my window regulators myself using a 69 cent cotter pin. Used the same concept on a 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited and on my 2003 jeep liberty sport. They are different but using the cotter pin to solve the problem results in the problem being resolved with a "life time warrenty", HA!
  • gh1961gh1961 Member Posts: 30
    how is that, please???
  • jeepdriver4jeepdriver4 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 02 Liberty and the PW on the driver's side is irregular. This only seems to happen when it rains or gets moisture in the air. My spouse went to the store and opened the window, when we tried to put it up the window won't go up. The other three windows seem to be fine, it seems to just be the driver's door. Any suggestions?????
  • charlieg47charlieg47 Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 06 Jeep Liberty and I am having the same problems. I live in middle Tn. We don,t have heat like u do.
  • jeepfannomorejeepfannomore Member Posts: 1
    Have an '07 Jeep Liberty. Aside from the recalls, we've had the regulator go out in the back and recently the driver's window regulator went out. Took it to an independent auto body to get rust (yes rust because of poor door patent) fixed and the regulator fixed. The regulator with the labor cost $256 from the Independent and Chrysler won't reimburse because they said I had the work done by an independent. The next phone call to Chrysler and I get new excuses why they can't reimburse. That is, they wouldn't have paid for the regulator anyway. I will NEVER purchase from Chrysler again. EVER. I'll go foreign!!!!!!
  • hwexlerhwexler Member Posts: 6
    You need to write a letter & enclose a copy of your bill for the repair. They sent out a letter about 2 years ago to Jepp Liberty 2007 owners stating that the window regulators will be covered for 7 years (up until 2014). I think it also said in the letter that if you had it repaired by a shop other than Jeep, to submit a copy of the bill for reimbursement. The poeple you spoke to probably don't know what they are talking about. I would write a letter, also refer to the letter they sent out about it being covered & tell them what happened when you called. I would also send it with some type of tracking. I just found the letter online.

Chrysler Extends Jeep Liberty Window Warranty

In late 2010, Chrysler sent out this notice to 2006-2007 Jeep Liberty owners:

"This letter is to inform you that the warranty period has been extended for Window Lift Plate repairs on your Chrysler Group LLC Jeep Liberty to 7 years from the vehicle's original in service date with no mileage limitation. This extended warranty coverage applies to Jeep Liberty model years 2006-2007.

We are extending the warranty period for Window Lift Plate repairs because some vehicles have experienced repeat concerns with window components. If your vehicle is operating properly, there is nothing you are required to do. If you are experiencing the conditions as described in this warranty extension within 7 years from the vehicle's in service date, simplycontact your dealer to have the repairs performed. Your dealer will inspect the window regulators for proper operation and repair if necessary.

If you have already experienced this window regulator concern and have paid to have it repaired, you may be eligible to receive a reimbursement. You may complete the enclosed Customer Reimbursement Claim Form and send your original receipts, invoices, and/or repair order to the following address for reimbursement. Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt:

Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
    P. O. Box 21-8007
    Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007

If you have questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM, EST. They can be reached at 1-877-426-5337.

Please keep this letter with your vehicle's other warranty information for future reference if neccessary. The warranty extension applies to the above components only, the other terms of your warranty remain the same.

Chrysler is taking this action to demonstrate its commitment to your continued satisfaction
  • crjeepcrjeep Member Posts: 3
    I had originally posted on this board about my window issues on 6/17/10. That was the third time that a window failed and at the time I was appreciative that Chrysler made sure my windows were repaired with no charge and they were responsive to my issues. Wellll.....since then, I have had 3 more window failures, most recently today as we were driving home from a nice family New Year's Brunch. It was freezing out and my poor daughter spent the whole ride home shivering in the back seat. The last time this happened in July, 2012, the front passenger window fell as we were leaving to go on vacation and we spent the vacation driving around with a duct taped window. My left rear window has failed 3 times, right rear twice and the front passenger once. What is frustrating is that windows that have been fixed continue to fail...so it seems that Chrysler still can't figure out how to permanently fix this problem. To make matters worse, the door with the failed window is now stuck and won't open. I will be calling Chrysler as I usually do when this happens and going back to the Jeep dealer to get this fixed at no charge once again. I have been a faithful Jeep owner since 1994 but I am officially done. We are going to the Honda dealer this week. I am DONE!!!
  • gh1961gh1961 Member Posts: 30
    I knew I screwed up when I saw the Mopar star on the side glass. suffered thousands of dollars in repairs. Traded 05 lioberty CRD 4X4 limited for 2012 Toyota tacoma, 4 door, 4X4, long bed. Lost $7,400 in trade but Sooooooo happy!
  • nrwalter05nrwalter05 Member Posts: 3
    I contacted Jeep this morning because I came across this discussion forum. I have had three of my four windows fall off the track and not be able to roll up. I have had the regulators fixed each time and put in almost $600. I asked about the recall for the windows and was told that since I did the work at a Body Shop and not at a Jeep or Chrysler dealership, I can't be reimbursed. When I asked about this window recall, she informed me that there was another recall issued in March 2012 for another issue that I was not aware of so just a heads up to everyone out there! I never received information about a recall in March 2012.
    edited January 2013
    The woman also said that the Window Warranty is for the Window Lift Plate, not the regulator.
  • hwexlerhwexler Member Posts: 6
    Look back at message #336. In the letter they sent out it clearly states that if you had it repaired you may be entiled to reimbursement. Don't settle for what they tell you on the phone. Write a letter & send it with tracking. Also, if you don't get reimbursed, take them to small claims court. You can file yourself. Don't let them get away with it.
    When I contacted my local Jeep dealership today to make an appointment for the current recall (which is a rear suspension recall), I asked them about it. She said they have certain guidelines and we'd look at it on Friday when I go in. Thanks for the advice!
  • rlcmerlcme Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the info on the Jeep Liberty's window problems. I had another window go out and thought I was out of luck because my warranty is expired. I just wonder what Jeep is going to do after 2014 when they still keep breaking? I had a 1994 Eagle Talon and the windows were great, but this problem has been such a pain. With this many people experiencing problems they should have figure it out and done a recall!
  • shiggshigg Member Posts: 4
    I haven't posted in this thread for awhile but I have a 2007 Liberty. I've had all my windows fixed numerous times because they fell out of their track. When it recently fell again, I resorted to duct tape until I had time to get it in. This time I expected a pretty sizable bill since the car is no longer under warranty.

As it turns out, the windows now have a lifetime warranty on them - as explained by my local Jeep dealership as well a service that called me last week regarding a rear suspension recall.

The new lifetime warranty on them is news to me and may be news to some of you. While it isn't a permanent fix and it doesn't thrill me at all, at least they have sucked it up and put a lifetime warranty on them. It doesn't make the issue better and it sucks when they go out but at least they aren't charging for the fix.

That being said, I highly recommend keeping scissors and duct tape in the car just in case - as well as a wire hanger to pull the window up in order to tape it if it falls all the way into the door. Duct tape will hold it.
  • dlafoot1dlafoot1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for the info. Fortunately I haven't had the problem for over a year, but just knowing it can be fixed without major money out of my pocket is great. Yes I will equip my 2003 Liberty with duct tape, etc. Again, thank you for the update.
    I got my window fixed yesterday, and the jeep dealer said it was only under warrant for the next 6 months. That is not what I read on the internet and I think they lie. Mine is a 2006 Jeep Liberty, so I wonder if the warrant is different.
    A 2006 should be covered the same as a 2007 as I understand it. The biggest problem came from the 06-07 models. I'd call another dealership to see what they say if I were you.

I will note they did not tell me about the warranty on the phone. For whatever reason, it wasn't until I took it in (because of the suspension) that they told me about the warranty on the windows. They ended up fixing both the same day.

The one thing I don't have, and may try to get, is the warranty in writing. I'd dearly like a copy to hopefully save myself trouble in the future if I go to a different dealership. Too many people have had problems in this thread for me to believe all dealerships are created equal - or honest.
    Thanks for the info. I if I get it in writing I will post it. I dont trust the Jeep dealer that I go to at all! I am really glad I found this edmunds.com. I told the Jeep dealer that there was a warranty first they did not offer up the information. The guy working there said yes it is under warranty (for 6 more months) if it is the "lift plate". I told him it is the same problem as normal so it was under warranty.
  • beachpatty1beachpatty1 Member Posts: 3
    Wow - Thank you for posting about the extended warranty! I just called my Jeep dealer in Fort Myers, FL. - the man said to bring it in any time & they will fix it on the spot - said it takes a couple hours :):):) I am SO tired of taping both my back windows & it's been almost a year!
    thank you!
  • kseaksea Member Posts: 2
    I just got off the phone with them regarding one of my windows that just went out last month. They told me because of the age of my vehicle, they won't consider helping with the repair. The Jeep has on 64K miles on it. I am seeing red at the moment. Will pick up some duct tape on the way home :(

So, the lifetime warranty only covers specific years?
    I'm not sure what years the warranty covers beyond 06-07 models. But as I said to someone else, I'd call another dealership and talk to them. Despite the warranty, some places seem to fix them without a problem while others whistle Dixie and swear they have no idea what you're talking about.
    I read, probably here that the warranty was 06 and 07, but I would try another dealer if you have one. If not try and contact Jeep. Someone should be able to authorize the free repair! I would hope!
    So I thought I was good to go - both back windows - second time. Called the Jeep dealer yesterday after being told by a service dept tech to "bring it in" - wanted to make an appointment for today - Nope. The lady asked me the vin number & said sorry, no. She said it covers late 2006 & 2007 models & mine is an early 2006.
    I will be on the phone today, jumping up & down - it's the same damn problem, how can they pick & choose??????
    I just called Chrysler - my Liberty is NOT on their VIN # List & therefore will not be fixed???? I am so done with Jeep! :lemon:
  • kseaksea Member Posts: 2
    I found that clear packing tape placed inside the window works fairly well to hold it up. My next move is going to be starting a thread on their facebook page discussing this. They don't like public bashing. Please join in there. Maybe they will issue the recall that is long overdue.