Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• twinsmom12twinsmom12 Member Posts: 2
    See my other post. My 2010 is having traction control issues. In short, the dealer had to tear out my transmission and identified it as a broken lever and pin. A $40 part. It's under warranty, and they are giving me a free crappy rental, but it's 2 weeks at the dealer because the pin cannot be located ANYWHERE in the country. Your dealer will have to be willing to do the work to figure it out. Find another GM dealer, the one that you are using is not being thorough. The one I'm using told me, "something is going on with your transmission and in order to fix it, I have to figure it out first, and that involves 15 hrs of labor to take it apart." I feel he was honest about it and genuinely interested in fixing it and not fully knowing what it could be but he was going to find the problem. Your dealer is not.
  • crazyoutlookcrazyoutlook Member Posts: 6
    -shifter cable locks up in cold weather. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -leaking power steering pump. ((not covered under powertrain!)
    -roof leaking when heavy rain is present. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -driver side mirror motor not functioning. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -automatic liftgate malfunction crushes me and my ten month old baby. (not covered under powertrain!) and is the last straw! My patience has ran out with this car. Purchased a year ago with 40000mi and have only put 8000 miles on it. I filed a case with GM and was rejected any cost assistance for the persitant problems. Thank God my son is ok, and i wil be visiting my doctor for my neck and head injury! Any "insight on the outlook"
  • rilespeytrilespeyt Member Posts: 1
    Our engine light came on prior to receiving word of the timing chain recall. We took it in for a free engine light inspection and they told us it could be a timing chain issue. Since it was a free inspection they weren't able to provide many more details. A short while later we received a letter advising us of the pre-mature timing chain wear. We made an appointment for July 1st to have the work done. The night before taking it in we started having problems with the steering, loud noises under the car. I was called the day they made the repair to advise that the timing had completely failed. I got a call back from the GM dealer stating the timing issue was fixed. There was a list of things that need some attention. The important ones being power steering pump and struts. My wife picked it up, it is bouncing and very hard to steer. I was told the power steering pump failed and struts need to be replaced. My service adviser told me that the strut problem is from them putting it up on the rack possibly stretching them out. (if my car didn't have the recall, it would never have had to be put up on the rack). I am no mechanic but if the there is an issue with the timing, that would in some way impact the steering. Beware of further issues after the work is done on the timing recall.

I have been waiting all day for the Service Manager and General Manger to call me back to decide what they are going to do.
  • fkarasfkaras Member Posts: 14
    we have a 2009 at 6k timing failed.. eg power steering failed day after they returned car . they put in new rack and pump that works now going back in next week for struts and a transmission whine
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rilespeyt,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    fkaras,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tiredofcarprobtiredofcarprob Member Posts: 4
    We have an 07 Outlook. We LOVE driving this car BUT it has been in for endless amounts of work!!! We've had the roof leak....We've had the tailgate malfunction and come down on my head!!!...we've had the Stablitrac malfunction....and powersteering problems...and more.

But now is the kicker!!!!! Our transmission is malfunctioning between 3/4 gear and 5/6 gear it starts jerking, shaking, vibrating the car...no warning lights and it doesn't show up on the computer. The software has been updated too...no fix! They are telling us we need a new transmission...$3500!!!! We don't have that money! For god sakes it's only 4 years old!!!

our dealer is trying to get a response from GM but nothing yet. We CANNOT afford this fix! We've owned a chevy/gm for the past 12 years BUT not our next car UNLESS GM fixes it's problem for us!!!!!
    We are experiencing the jerking problem....did your's ever get resolved???
    tiredofcarprob,

I apologize for the problems you are now experiencing with the transmission. By chance have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • ommamaommama Member Posts: 3
    Doesn't the powertrain warranty cover anything? I just looked it up (prob with a 2007 Saturn Outlook) and it goes up to 100K or 5 years. Maybe I am just being hopeful, but.... i want to have some hope.
    We are at 107000 miles...so just over that warranty :( But this shouldn't be an issue already!!! I swear the computer knows that once you cross the 100000 mile mark it sends signals for the whole car to fall apart!
    Our GM dealer service department is trying to get a response from GM but they have heard NOTHING...We are in a waiting game. Do you have some one we can contact???
    tiredofcarprob,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved GM dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • mmgood27mmgood27 Member Posts: 1
    Ask the dealership to check your ignition coils. We had to have an ignotion coil replaced on bank 1, there are 6 banks, at about 6,000 miles. I had a check engine light go on and the car started jerking at about 55 mph. It felt almost like the transmiission was slipping. I had it back into the dealership 5-6 times telling them that it was doing the same thing, but since there was no engine light they couldn't diagnosis it. Two weeks ago the engine light came one, they needed to replace the timing chain (this is after I did take it in for the recall). I told them we were driving from Ohio to North Carolina at the end of the week and had to be sure the car was working properly. Of course they said it was running great, no problems. We got to Virginia on Friday at about 9:00pm and you guessed it the engine light came on, and the jerking got really bad! According to OnStar they were unable to diagnosis anything wrong. We kept on to North Carolina and I took it into the OBX dealership there. Ignition coil on bank 2 was bad. So I'm on vacation, spent 1/2 a day at the dealership. I had been telling them for months the car was having this problem! I've also had a leaky steering cable that was supposed to be fixed and it sounds like the steering is winding again. I only have 3500 miles left under the warranty and am very frustrated. If there are 6 banks of ignition coils, it looks like I'll be paying for the next 4!! Everything I've read said these are something that should have a long life. I do no consider 6,000 or 30,000 miles a long life! This experience has made me reconsider American made cars!! I don't haer any complaints from my fried who has been driving her Toyota now for 210,000 miles!
    mmgood27,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your vehicle. Please keep me posted if you have any further problems.

Thank you,
  • ommamaommama Member Posts: 3
    I just want to say, for the record, our experience with our 2007 Saturn Outlook has been a pleasant one. It has 80K+ miles on it, we have had it for 3 years, and we had not had a problem... until now. The transmission went out. 3/4 gear issues followed by the reverse function going out. I took it to our local GM dealership which has been wonderful, fixing it, falls under my powertrain warranty. No cost to me. Am I inconvenienced? Yes. Was I angry when it happened? Sure. But am I happy with how it has been handled? Very.
    ommama,

I am very happy to hear everything has been taken care of at no charge to you! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
  • maxkincaidmaxkincaid Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Outlook about 3 years ago and was used. The previous owner had the foresight to unload it at 25,000 miles before much went wrong. We have has many repairs...so many that we now send it to the shop to get one problem fixed but constantly have to run with at least one or more continuing problems. Just spent $500 to replace water pump and thermostat. The 2 current problems I still have is a tire pressure gauge is out and the struts are shot. Before that the pistons on the lift gate went out. Before that we replace the power steering pump and a few other things I cannot remember but it was around $1200. Then shortly after that repair we took it into a Government Motors dealership and they came up with nearly $3000 in repairs but they were nice enough to get GM to pay for that round. The vehicle has 87000 miles and has cost me more money than any vehicle I have ever owned. I have a Civic with 130000 miles and my repair costs are very small. This will be my last GM ever.
  • mruffinimruffini Member Posts: 14
    I have 45k miles on my 2007 Saturn. My extended warranty runs out next March...I plan on dumping the car in March because it's a piece of crap......it's too bad,we actually like the design of the car and the features/seating, but GM's quality sucks.
    mruffini,
    Are you currently experiencing concerns with your vehicle? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sugaplummsugaplumm Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Ok...now I'm worried:-( I just purchased a 2008 Saturn like 2 wks ago. I had to take it in for a restraint system recall...I was ok with that...& was still in love with it. But last nite I noticed it shifting differently. As I backed into my driveway, I noticed the vehicle started to jerk a little. I figured that was bc I was backing uphill...didn't really worry. Well today, I went outta town. While traveling, I noticed it shifted weird, sluggish and hard by the time it reached the last gear change. This of course got my attention. And now when I back into my driveway, it jerks:-( I've been on the phone with my dealership quite often as of late bc of minor issues, which could be expected with a used vehicle. But now, a transmission? It's not even a month old for me! Did any of you have the same symptoms? :cry:
  • browneyez1978browneyez1978 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Outlook and my problems sound just yours! I have had it less than a month and my transmission is REALLY making me worry. It seems to get worse every time I drive it. My next step is to call the dealership and see what the warranty will cover. Good luck to you!
    edited August 2011
    sugaplumm & browneyez1978,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • jasonanhjasonanh Member Posts: 4
    I've read your posts and can relate to all of them. I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook that I purchased new. Since about 2,000 miles after buying it we have had nothing but problems. We would get messages "Service Stabilitrac, Service Traction Control, Service Brake System" and everytime we took it in, the dealership could never find a problem. But magically after the bumper to bumper warranty was up they found an issue. The brake fluid sensor was sending out a wrong code. $300 fix. 2,000 miles after that guess what, all the same issues again. Took it to the dealership again. This time the entire brake master cylinder needed replaced. $500+ fix. 2,000 miles after that guess what, all the same issues again, this time with addition of a check engine light. Car has been at the dealership since friday Aug 26. We got a call saying that the Cam Shaft Position Sensor was causing it and causing misfire codes. Dont know what the fix will be this time, but hopefully its covered under the powertrain warranty because we cant afford another temporary "FIX". I have dealt with GM Customer Assistance before because of what I feel this car to be a LEMON. They have helped us out a little, but what are they really gonna do for one person. I will never get back what I paid for the car so my only option is to get rid of this lemon after this next fix or get a lawyer and go after the lemon law. Long time GM supporter, but after this nightmare i'll be looking at another brand.
    Got the car back today witth the latest "FIX". The Intake Manifold Tuning Valve was replaced under the factory powertrain warranty. Glad to have it back wiithout money out of my pocket. Now time to get it polished up and ready for a trade in!!!
  • mac117mac117 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR and love the inside and 3rd row seating. ( about a month ago) However, I am noticing some things that concern me;

When I have the car in drive, and am on a slight incline, the car rolls back like it is in neutral.

I put the car in park on a hill, and noticed a loud sort of grinding noise.

When I am backing up, i have to keep tapping the gas pedal to go back, when I take my foot off, it rolls forward.

When I put it in park, it always rocks back and forth.

The temp gauge is always wrong, it will say it is 101 out when it is 92!

I test drove the car with the dealer, and asked them about this, and they said they would have the transmission and temp gauge checked. They delivered the car, and said everything was fine. I had a Olds Bravada before this, and just chalked it up to being a different car, therefore a different ride, but now I am starting to wonder. Any advice?
  • 35763576 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. I bought it used with 35,000 miles on it. Love the interior and exterior of the vehicle. I have 3 children and it works great for my family. OK, here is what is happening with my vehicle: Service Stabilitrac, Traction Control off, Service Traction Control warning lights are coming on. When I drive up hill, I hear a grinding noise. I have taken the vehicle to a GM dealer. They could not figure out why the lights were coming on, but told me that my oil needed changed, it was very dirty. It wasn't even time for an oil change. They told us that if the lights came on again to bring it back in. On the way home from the dealerships the lights came on again, so we took it back in to the dealership. They said they would need to order a part, but we have not heard from them since. I have been driving my vehicle with the Service warning lights on for about 3-4 weeks. When I take it back in to get the new part put on, if it doesn't get fixed, I am going to take it to another dealer. I am planning on keeping it in the shop until it gets fixed. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I am also going to contact GM Customer Service, apparently this is a common problem that many owners are facing.
  • mac117mac117 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the reply, and please let me know what happens. I feel the same way about my Saturn , i love the interior and exterior, and hope that there is not a serious problem. good luck!

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation. By chance have you contacted the dealership directly to see if the part is in? Please keep me posted with any information.

Thank you and have a great weekend,
    After years of headaches, our Outlook is gone!!! Sold to Carmax who gave us the best price. Used the money to buy a car from a different brand. Sorry GM, but you left a bad taste in our mouth and lost another customer.
  • ljandbucketljandbucket Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2009 Outlook and have started to experience more problems than expected. I love the car's look and features but some of the nuisances have turned into real issues. The car at about 60k miles started to hesitate, jerk and gear hunt at highway speeds. Took it in after researching the issue and found that the there was a TSB for this problem. It required a computer update and should alleviate the problem. The dealer applied the fix but within a week the car was back to the jerkiness. Now at about 63k miles, I've had a complete transmission failure. Just this week, the car would just rev and never get into a higher gear. It was no longer driveable. Dealer said that the transmission needed to be replaced vs fixed. I've previously had the timing chain replace but were going to recheck it since the engine and transmission were out. Again, I like the car and can deal with the inconvenience since I have been given a loaner car. However, I'm just concerned with what the future holds assuming this round is fixed successfully. I've owned GM cars all my life and this is the first one I have had issues with at this level. Hopefully, the dealership van make the repairs successfully.
    ljandbucket,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the transmission. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • nredmondnredmond Member Posts: 3
    I have had nothing but trouble out of my 2008 Saturn Outlook! The transmission has been repaired three times and every time I get a song and dance from the dealership. I am glad to know that we are not the only ones!! I believe this make and model of car is a lemon!!! Every time someone asks me about how I like my car, I sound off!!! I have always brought Hondas and this time I did not. Boy did I get duped! It is sad to have to rent a car for a trip when you pay a 500. a month car note because you are scared your car will stop at some point. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!!! Definitely disappointed.
    i had a 2009 saturn outlook until today 9-20-11 traded it in for a new toyota 4 Runner,,going on a trip friday to VA, from SYR, now i feel i will make it back to Syr....My Outlook had 23K miles and the transmission whines like a sewing machine.,,,,,,,, the first year i owned it , At 6K the timing chain failed ,eg ,3 weeks to change motor. month 8 at 9K the electronics burned out could not shut of ignition or remove key had to disconnect battery, another week in shop
  • ljandbucketljandbucket Member Posts: 3
    Dealer had to order a new transmission however they are on backorder and the earliest one will be shipped is 9/26. I've already been without the car for over a week. At this point it may be another 2 before I have it back.
  • nredmondnredmond Member Posts: 3
    How sad! The first time we had a transmission problem we were without our Saturn for a month. They gave us a rental, but it was a smaller car. We have had transmission problems 4 times. Just stopped on me again. This is a sad situation, these cars have engine issues. Otherwise, I love the look and capacity.....but who cares about that when the car always has an issue. And for support from GM...I have gotten none. Gonna cut my losses on this one and go back to a HONDA!!
  • saturnoutlooksaturnoutlook Member Posts: 9
    I know how you feel. I have a 2007 outlook with 65,000 miles on it, lov eth size of th ecar but have had nothing but problems. Everything you mention sounds familiar, transmission problems (whines, slow to shift), check engine light (keeps coming on, particularly after raining or on cold mornings), traction control light, (comes on every morning, stays on for the first few miles). I have been to two different Saturn dealers, and two chevy dealers. No one can fix it.
    Most of the repairs have been under warranty, but the last one wasn't, they replaced an ignition coil, for about $250. Lasted about a month, then the check engine light came back on. Brought it back, made the same replacement this one lasted about a week. I now trying to get back in to have it replaced once again.

I usually keep my car for many years, but I'm thinking its time for this one to go. :lemon:
    saturnoutlook,
    I apologize you are still experiencing concerns . Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Please feel free to email me back with any updates since we last spoke.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    If GM was really sorry about everyones issues with this lemon of a car, they would issue some sort of recall. We all know they wont though! Even people I have talked to on the street who have an Outlook have stated the same problems posted on here. There is obviously and issue with this car. It's not just the Outlook either. The GM Acadia and Buick Enclave are the same vehicle and have the same issues. Be smart and get rid of the car as soon as possible, I did!
    ljandbucket,
    Can you please send me your contact information, VIN, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unhappyinmtunhappyinmt Member Posts: 2
    I have been a Saturn owner just about my entire driving career. I did however own a Toyota 4-runner in the past few years. I decided that my loyalties need to go back to a Saturn so I purchased a beautiful 2007 Saturn Outlook (i just made the 4th car payment today) I have to tell you, the comments and looks that I receive are quite nice and it definiltely has the wow factor.... and up until now I loved this car. What the h.e-double hockey sticks is wrong with the transmission!!! Seriously, This needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. I have never been so upset with a car as much as I am right now. I go to step on the gas, sure it goes but, when it goes to shift into 3rd gear it idles to 5 and then is sluggish to even want to drive. I am praying that I just didn't make a $22,000 mistake. This car has 64,000 miles on it. A baby in most car lives. I am having it checked out by a GM dealer on Wednesday. This really is a PITA. If this is not taken care of I will be really upset. I finally made a car purchase by myself (I didn't even ask the hubby) Great....you know what that means......to be continued. AAARGH!!!!
    i just traded a 2009 saturn oulook for a new Four Runner, my saturn had trnsmission syptoms,,, even though i was uhder wrranty i was sick of the black beauty. my black four runner is built like a real truck ,strong and dependable
  • unhappyinmtunhappyinmt Member Posts: 2
    SOOOOOOO.... The saga continues...My husband drove the car to school this morning a whopping 3 miles away and the damn car didn't even make it into the parking lot. Transmission light finally came on AFTER the fact that the car almost DIED!!!!! This is an absolute atrocity against any owner of a Saturn. I feel that these cars need to be recalled. I am almost at the point that i would like to call the local news and see where it goes from there.
  • price0613price0613 Member Posts: 2
    2008 Outlook - For a while now I have had issues (minus the random issues I have had that have already had to be fixed) But now I am dealing with a lag in the engine while I am driving it or a random rev of the engine - with or without my foot being on the pedal. I have to place my foot on the pedal pretty hard to get the car to go. It is almost like I am driving on a uphill most of the time. Driving on a highway the other day I had my cruise control on and it was revving all by itself!! I have taken it to the dealership to be told that they couldnt find anything but they did a computer update that they would hope would work, thankfully because of this update I didnt have to pay the diagnose fee (which I still find ridiculous to pay when there is a warranty in place. I get the quick grinding noise sometimes when I start up my vehicle and have for years but of course everytime I take it in - they cant find anything - surprise surprise. I am a woman and NO I am not saying that has anything to do with it but I feel like I do get the "you dont know what you are talking about attitude" especially when he looks at me and says you know there will be lag and your engine will rev when you are driving up a hill...yes hence the reason I told you this happens on even the level roads - but of course you didnt hear that part right??
    Plus during one of my visits someone took out my cabin filter and never replaced it. I did not give anyone permission to take it out and now because of that I had to pay $68 after labor and filter cost to have it replaced. PS I went years without replacing it because I was angry.

I guess I just dont know what to do at this point or out to make someone understand my issue and be WANTING to help and make this car drive appropriately. I have tried to be nice, I have tried to be angry, none of it works...does anyone have anything?? :confuse:
  • price0613price0613 Member Posts: 2
    we are the only owners of this vehicle and there is about 55K miles
    unhappyinmt,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to a GM dealership? Also, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
  • cruddyoutlookcruddyoutlook Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list. I have a 2009 Outlook, which was a replacement for the 2008 that GM took back as lemon for the leaky sunroof. My warranty is about up so I took it in to get a couple concerns checked out, an odd noise from the front when you turn left and some occasional tranny slips. The dealer gave it back said the performed the ECU reprogram to meet a recall and bled the power steering lines and now it should be all good.
    WHAT A JOKE!!!!
    The thing was literally bucking between 40 and 50 MPH, the slight whining sound when turning went to a groan and started happening more often.
    May be time to call GM again, maybe the same lawyer that I dealt with last time is still there, still have his number. If there are this many issues with vehicle it should be getting recalls, probably time to push the issue.
    cruddyoutlook,
    Can you please email me your VIN? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance yet? I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • madmommyinohiomadmommyinohio Member Posts: 1
    I was lucky enough to have a complete failure of my transmission in the drive-thru of Wendy's when I had to be pushed to the window to pick up my daughter's frosty then pushed into a parking spot...I could push the gas pedal completely to the floor with no acceleration at all. I had been having the hiccuping in the upshift and downshift everyone else is talking about too. So now that I have had my truck in the GM dealership for 3 weeks - without anyone actually having looked at it as of today, I have been told it will be another 3 weeks for it to be up in the air since there is only 1 transmission guy and one set of tools for that job and I am second in line. There are two other Saturn Outlooks behind me. My rental - I had to beg for after 5 days being without a car is an IMPALA and just today I demanded a comparable vehicle...I was told my truck would be repaired within 2 weeks - HA! I was told last Thursday that the parts for #1 on the racks hadn't even come in yet and now my truck will be done in 2 weeks!??! Why not give me a rental in the first place when you know darn well that this is a freaking circus of a problem all over the place - second give me a comparable vehicle as long as I am making a car payment for it to sit inside your garage doing nothing I want a big SUV! And third - please no more blowing sunshine where I know it doesn't go. Do you really think I believe it will be done it 2 weeks?
    madmommyinohio,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your complete contact information, including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and dealer information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service