Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• malibumaxdudemalibumaxdude Member Posts: 4
    Sarah,
    I have an 2007 Outlook with 74,700 miles and my transmission just went out as well. I have called Saturn yesterday but since my 5 years was up in June and there is not a recall I was unable to receive any help from GM. I have owned many GM vehicles in the past but I do not plan on purchasing another since this is a common problem and GM does not seem to care. Also I have had this vehicle in the shop over 6 times. I have lost faith in GM. This transmission should not have went out with less than 75,000 miles.
  • frs929frs929 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 07 Saturn and the transmission broke at 87000 this lasy July. It was two months out of warranty and of course GM didnt do a thing. I agree that these transmissions break at way too low of a mileage, GM doesnt stand behind their products either. We just recently bought a new car and you can bet it wasnt a GM
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    edited October 2012
    When you called us, were you issued a Service Request number? If you wanted to forward that, or the last 8 digits of your VIN, our way at socialmedia@gm.com we can check it out.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Is everything operating okay with your Saturn after the transmission repair in July? Let us know if we can follow up on the repair - we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    We had the transmission repaired at AAMCO since the warranty ran out on the Saturn. Its working finr thanks
  • ryanharlessryanharless Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud owner of a 2007 Saturn Outlook. We absolutely love the vehicle, but had a transmission failure at 81,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and I was advised that my Power train warranty had run out 2 months prior, even though I was 19,000 miles short of the mileage warranty. I discussed the fact that a transmission wears out over the life of the vehicle and I should have the mileage taken into consideration. GM paid half =(. I am very disappointed by this and feel that GM should cover the entire cost of the repair due to the low miles on the transmission. I have all scheduled service and maintenance preformed and have not abused the vehicle in anyway. It seems to me that GM is more focused on minimizing their costs at the expense of their customers. I have been a life long GM customer but was totally saddened by my experience.
    I would consider yourself lucky that GM paid anything at all. I didnt take it to the dealer because it was two months beyond the warranty. I even called the dealer and they said yes you bought it in May and its out of warranty. No mention that they could help me out. So I was stuck with the whole $3700 bill. I agree that they should pay for this known problem. We recently bought a new car and it was not a GM car. GM DOESNT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.
  • outlookdriveroutlookdriver Member Posts: 26
    Sorry for the long story but this is just too unbelievable.
    My wife was on errands with the kids in our 2007 Saturn Outlook, which she loves. Well, it just stopped moving. Couldn't put it in forward or reverse. She called a friend to get it towed to his service shop. At the shop, he got it to move a little then it stopped again. He said he recently had an Acadia in which a part in the transmission broke and shredded the gears and got into all the innards. As it cost about $3500 to repair, he suggested that we call GM to see if they can help out with it.
    I found a number and spoke with Heather, who was great, calling me back every step of the way. She put me on the line with Denny, the head mechanic for Matthews Auto Group where we bought the vehicle and where we have the Outlook serviced. We spoke of the incident when it stopped working and he said he would get to it in a few days, which I said was OK.
    He didn't remember but we spoke before this when the vehicle was brought in for the timing chain recall. It took four times to get it right, but Matthews treated my wife so nice, we felt comfortable with them. So this time we called OnStar and had it towed to Matthews so Denny could look at it. When he called back he said that it was a broken wave plate in the transmission, and in a roundabout way agreed that it may cost about what the other mechanic said, about $3500.
    By calling my friend the mechanic for an explanation, he said that the wave plate is cheap $20 part that is known to crack and destroy the transmission. He had called a friend at Country Club Auto who said that he works on an average of 2 GM transmissions per week between Outlook, Acadia, and Traverse.
    The Matthews customer service rep called the next day and said that they drained some fluid and found metal shavings. I asked how did the mechanic diagnose the problem as a bad wave plate if he didn't open it up?
    The customer service rep said he had an offer from the district supervisor of GM, to give us $3000 off of a new vehicle or split the cost of repair 50/50, approximately $1750 plus tax our cost.
    When asked for a breakdown of the cost of services and materials he got uptight and refused, stating only that the transmission would come out of the box and into the vehicle and the fluid would be added. The old transmission would go into the box and sent back to GM. It was then presented as a one time offer, take it or leave it.
    I said that I was disappointed in GM for not doing the right thing. This is a known problem with Outlook, Acadia, and Traverse. It's all over the internet.
    I went on to say that the tow truck operator for OnStar that picked up the vehicle said, “Oh, an Outlook. Transmission, right? I've been picking up a lot of those lately. And Acadias and Traverses”.
    I also said to the rep that we were totally surprised by the breakdown since the last OnStar Diagnostic report that we got stated “Based on our diagnostics check on 08/19/2012, all systems are normal.
    Diagnostic: Complete. No action needed.
    ” Four days later, my wife and kids are stranded on the roadside.
    The rep repeated that the offer was a one time offer, one that he did not have to give since the vehicle was five months out of warrantee. If it did not make me happy then he would save the money to make someone else happy. I honestly said that of course I am not happy with having to spend $1800 for a new transmission that only has 73,000 miles on it (27,000 miles under warrantee limit). He seemed to be a little taken aback by my knowledge of the wave plate issue with these transmissions, how a $20 part could self destruct and wreak havoc with the transmissions. Take it or leave it was the answer, that is all the GM district manager was authorized to offer. I would get back to him.
    The next day a GM rep named Keith called to offer the same, but more politely. As a lifetime customer of GM vehicles, I repeated my disappointment in GM, but said that I would get back to him. He asked if I would like to file a complaint with GM. I said no, but I would like to file a complaint against the Matthews rep. The next day Keith the GM rep called and asked of my intentions, and I said that I guess that I would take the 50/50. He left off saying that he would get going on making it happen.
    The following day I missed a call on the cell phone that I thought was the Matthews customer service guy so I called him. He said, no it wasn't him. I said well, you've got me by the balls (pardon me) so I guess I am taking the 50/50 offer. He replied that it was rescinded. I got off the phone with him and called Keith the GM service guy to ask about it but he was not in. The next day Keith reversed himself and said that indeed the offer was revoked. I asked if there were anyone else that I can speak to. He said he would have his manager call me. The next day a curtly speaking person called to say that they are not willing to budge on their decision.
    This is not the customer service that I have come to enjoy and depend on for my family from GM and the Matthews Auto Group. What can be done?
    Both service and product stink with GM. They don't stand behind their product as you found out. I had my 07 Outlook repaired elsewhere because it was 2 months out of warranty . Told GM we would pay half of the repair if they would. Since its a known problem. They wouldnt do it. We bought a new car and picked it up today. Not a GM car !
  • fkarasfkaras Member Posts: 14
    i had a 2009 outlook 6k on it and the timing chain destroyed motor. started to use oil..on a trip to FL,, from NY ,,,transmission would fail to shift near washington. that was it. I traded for a new toyota fourunner and i can tow all outlooks to the GM dealership for service...
  • ryanharlessryanharless Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sharing... This whole experience seems unbelievable =). I was able to find out that there was a class action lawsuit in regards to the transmissions on our vehicles. This lawsuit was terminated once GM filed for bankruptcy. A bankruptcy court ruled that the "New GM" was not responsible for "Old GM" financial obligations and judgments. What a joke!
  • chrissyh2chrissyh2 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 saturn aura that has 102,000 miles and it is at a gm dealership and i am awaiting the answer to see if GM will help us with the cost of this problem. We do not have the money to pay for this if GM does not help out. We still owe $5,800 on the car and have had to in March buy a rebuilt transmission for my husbands Chevy Silverado in March. Does anyone out there know or have experience in GM helping out.
  • chrissyh2chrissyh2 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 saturn aura that has 102,000 miles and it is at a gm dealership and i am awaiting the answer to see if GM will help us with the cost of this problem. We do not have the money to pay for this if GM does not help out. We still owe $5,800 on the car and have had to in March buy a rebuilt transmission for my husbands Chevy Silverado in March. Does anyone out there know or have experience in GM helping out.
  • leakyoutlookleakyoutlook Member Posts: 3
    I need Sarah from GM customer service to contact me regarding my transmission in Saturn Outlook.
    I have experienced with my Outlook every problem that has been reported on these forums. My timing belt was having issues and I had to take it to the dealer twice, finally they pulled my motor, replaced all belts and gaskets. Then my sunroof drains (which had supposedly been fixed with the recall) began to leak. After a heavy rain, my fuse panel shorted out and my car would not turn off (key out still running). I had to fight tooth and nail to get any of that fixed by the dealership and they kept changing their story about what the problem really was. A few days later water was dripping in the back of my car from my rear cargo light and I had to take it back again. In August, my air conditioner began having issues, running fine, then all of the sudden white fog coming from the vents and then not working. Now my transmission, which was working fine (just had it serviced in August) need to be replaced, a part broke and sheered my gears and other parts in my transmission. At this point GM is telling me there is nothing they can do for me. Completely frustrated. I was a loyal GM owner, Suburban, Tahoe and now the Outlook. I don't remember my dad ever owning anything that was not GM the entire time I was growing up. I'm not sure that either of us will ever own another GM after all the problems that we have had with this one. More than once I've been stranded on the road with my kids because of these issues. I've always taken it to the dealership where I bought it, Mccosh Chevrolet, and honestly, I will be happy just to never have to take a vehicle there again. They are slimy. One person tells you one thing and then as soon as they think they might have to cover something, they lie and tell you something else. When I broke down last week I called them and they said "what do you want us to do." Maybe offer to come get me or call a tow truck would have been nice. Being stranded stinks, feeling like the dealership that is supposed to fix your vehicle doesn't care makes it even worse.
    outlookdriver,

We would like to check into this further to see what happened with the 50/50 offer; would you please send us either your Service Request number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com?

Good luck as you know GM wont do anything for you
    If you had wanted for us to check into this further, leakyoutlook, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Good afternoon chrissyh2,

Had you sent us an email already (socialmedia@gm.com)? Or had you called the Customer Assistance Center? I only ask as my coworker Christina typically responds to incoming emails from the forum. Let me know if you have yet to get a response and I will check with her to make sure we received it.

• kmp420kmp420 Member Posts: 7
    It is unbelievable the number of Outlook owners who are having to replace their transmissions with such low mileage on their vehicles. You will notice that the GM Reps on here seem to be sincere in wanting to help you by offering to check into it further. Make no mistake, they are only trying to buy time. You will not be satisfied. While I would never wish anything bad on them, I would like for them to know what it is like to place their trust in someone only to be completely let down. This should be criminal! How they get away with it, I don't know. Possibly a class action might be the best avenue. I have run into other Outlook and Acadia owners in our area. So many people have had issues with the wave plates. Just the other day as I was driving out of my neighborhood, I saw an Outlook on the side of the road with the hood propped up. Guess what? Needed a new tranny and they only had 68,000 miles on their car. Shameful!
    I agree having had to replace my transmission at 87000. Plain and simple GM doesn't care about standing behind their products
  • kmp420kmp420 Member Posts: 7
    timkandy,
    The way you are describing this chugging/slipping/hesitation. This is exactly what happened before our transmission had a catastrophic failure. This may very well and very likely be due to the wave plates. Our's broke down with our daughter driving it on a desolate highway late at night. This could have ended tragically for our family, but GM doesn't seem to care about the safety of their customers. Please get this checked out. All this back and forth with Sarah really won't get you anywhere. I had faith in the process before we began. After SEVERAL follow up calls notifying me of a delay and that they were still working on it with the so called higher-ups it became clear to me this was just a tactic, similar to the responses they give here. I wish you the best!
  • platypuskingplatypusking Member Posts: 1
    we have an 08 outlook that started running rough at start up. i checked the codes, 4100, seems to be a common gm issue with the warm up system cause the remote start works fine and is never rough. Any plans on addressing this unfomforting annoyance in an otherwise good vehicle? :confuse: :mad: :sick:
    Good morning platypusking,

Unfortunately I do not have access to GM information on what the different codes mean, nor am I able to discuss any potential Technical Service Bulletins (issued for our technicians at the dealerships) pertaining to this issue on your Outlook. I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide those insights for you; were you thinking about getting this checked into further?

Sarah,
    I did email socialmedia@gm.com the same afternoon that I posted this and have not recieved a response.
    Good morning leakyoutlook,

We're sorry that it's taken a bit to get back with you! Our main email responder has been out sick and we're working to get caught up. If you haven't heard back by 4:30pm EST this afternoon, please try resending the email and we apologize again for the delay!

• tnfamily2012tnfamily2012 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    We have a 2009 Outlook, and had the same headlight issues from the start, paying for replacement of the housing until the recall and then reimbursed - that was a minor inconvenience. I have also noticed the loss of power when accelerating, but not so much as to cause great concern. Because we put so many miles on a car, we purchased the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. Well, at 107,000, engine light and obvious transmission issue. We find a GM service shop and get the news that after $900 to tear it down and examine it, it needs to be rebuilt. They were able to get the warranty (GM?) to pay for half of it, so our cost is $1650. THEN, we get a call back saying they found the water pump was leaking and it's cheaper to deal with that now rather than later.....another $500. After reading this forum, I guess we should not be surprised and relieved that we got the 50/50 split news up front. Just glad my husband was driving rather than our 16-year old daughter, who was supposed to be driving that day. Been in the shop a full week now being repaired. Anyone have any follow up experience with their repaired transmissions?? Just wondering what to expect next, or if we should dump the thing as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Oh, forgot to mention the weird steering sound and "whomping" sound from the wheels. Having them check those things out while it's in the shop...I'm sure it's just a matter of time before those fail. So thankful we don't have the leaky sunroof....maybe that's only because we don't have a sunroof/moonroof on our model... Goodness!
    Hello tnfamily2012,

Keep us posted on how the repairs go! If you want for us to check into anything further with your dealership, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• pebs4pebs4 Member Posts: 3
    the only thing i can say is wow.....have a 2008 outlook, stalled, got it towed to transmission center and got it fixed. find out its still under warranty and GM wont reimburse us because we didnt go to a gm dealer. Saturn closed, what the heck? It is still a gm part and the part that broke was mailed out...this is just unbelievable! anyone else have this happen? something needs to be done, we talked to two different ladies and they cant help us, really? its time to get it out there to everyone and make this known about general motors. please reply gm customers,!!!!
    Will do. Thanks Sarah.
    In had the same problem. Our Saturn transmission conked out at 87000. We were 2 months past the 5 yr warranty. We had it fixed at AAMCO. Tried to get reimbursed from GM three times and were denied each time. Said it was because we never went to a GM dealer .I said it still broke because its a known problem. They don't care . I even offered to pay half and they pay half. They declined . GM doesn't stand behind their products
  • chico53968chico53968 Member Posts: 9
    Yes indeed I had the same issue recently. I've owned by Saturn not even 4 years its 83k and in July I took it to GM dealer for a transmission leak in which it was 3 mo out of warranty so they charged $250 !!! Then 2 months later the transmission went!! I had it towed back to where I bought it which is now owned by a Acura dealer. When I disputed it with GM that a vehicle not even 4 years old shouldn't do this they said we'll consider helping maybe. Seriously it shouldn't matter where my car is they should back there product! Seriously they expected me to also pay to tow my car to a GM dealer and spend more money for a crappy vehicle. Well here's the kicker not only did the transmission go but the water pump was leaking and steering column was going!!seriously this is a known issue with this car,,,,that many problems and its not even 4 years old!!'GM did nothing for me and I will never buy from GM again! Dumping this Outlook ASAP!!
    It keeps running through my mind that this is from the company that Americans stood by in their time of need and bailed them out of debt. Until recently it seems, GM has always been a great car company in my opinion. What changed them?
    chico53968,

It sounds like you've spoken with Customer Assistance already; would you please forward either your case number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com, we would be happy to check into the case to see if there's anything we can do.

• overwhelmed2overwhelmed2 Member Posts: 11
    Wow. Never knew so many of us Outlook owners were facing the same problems. I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and for the last year have been dealing with transmission and other issues. I took it in to a GM certified mechanic before it was out of warranty and they said they could not feel the problem. Are you kidding. The car jerks when you travel at a steady pace of 50-65 mph. Even when slow it started doing it. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times. Last time they finally said they felt the problem and wanted $1500 to tear the engine down and find out what was going on. Eventually they told me that I needed a rebuilt transmission and the warranty would only pay 25% and the dealership 25% which left us paying $750. Well got my car back again after another 4 weeks, and guess what same problem. Not to mention other problems. Well had enough, got a class action attorney to help me. Looked at my receipts and such and said I have a good case.
    Would you look into any recalls on my 2007 Outlook. I would gladly send the VIN to your email.
    We would be happy to check for any open recalls on your Outlook, outlookdriver. If you haven't already, feel free to email us your VIN at socialmedia@gm.com

Through private email:
    "Thank you for taking the time to email me with your concerns. I apologize for your frustrations. I see that the dealer offered to cover 50% of the repairs. That was something the dealer was offering and unfortunately I cannot change the resolution of your case. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience."
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

Reply:
    Thank you for looking into it for my family and your apologies too.
    So, OK, the dealership has taken back their offer. Does that mean GM is taking back their half too? I would be willing to take up what the dealership has reneged on if GM would cover the other half of the original offer.
    Or could I take the vehicle to another GM dealer, who would like my future business, to have them honor Matthews deal?
    I recently found this:
    I just found a bulletin on this issue that sounds exactly like your problem, the trans issue is related to an internal clutch wave plate that breaks. The repair is to take the trans out and apart for repair.

While I realize that this is not good news, it at least verifies that the issue is not computer related so you at least know what you are paying for is indeed necessary.

here is the bulletin info...

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-012A

Date: January 12, 2010

Subject: No Reverse, 3rd or 5th, Check Engine Light Illuminated, DTC P0776 (Replace 3-5 Reverse Clutch Plate (Waved)

Models:
    2008-2009 Buick Enclave
    2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox, Malibu
    2009 Chevrolet Traverse
    2007-2009 GMC Acadia
    2007-2009 Pontiac G6
    2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent
    2007-2009 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
    2008-2009 Saturn VUE
    All Equipped with 6T70/75 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (RPOs MH2, MH4, MH6 or MY9)

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update the information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-012 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment about an SES light and/or no reverse and may also comment on a slip / flare or harsh shifts in drive range 3rd and/or 5th gear. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0776 (Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 - Stuck Off) set. Any one of the following codes may set independent of each other as a result of this wave plate breaking: P0777, P2723, P0717, P0716, P2715, P2714.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a broken 35R clutch wave plate allowing the apply piston to over-stroke, causing the piston to leak and causing loss of apply. This normally will not occur before approximately 32,000 km (20,000 mi). Debris generated by the condition can affect the operation of the speed sensors and other clutches.

Correction

Important
    It is recommended that a new plate be installed any time the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

Important
    The Control Solenoid (w/body and TCM) Valve Assembly should not be washed in a parts cleaner.

Read more: 60 mph, engine reved momentarily then dropped..slowed..20 mph - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/4d6be-60-mph-engine-reved-momentarily-dropped-s- lowed-20-mph.html#ixzz2AGnWfWbV
  • hlcole1hlcole1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 07 outlook that I love. The bad thing is, we have had nothing but issues with this car. I have 103,000 miles on it so obviously my warrenty is up. I got a letter about 6 months ago saying there is an issue with the timing chain and because of how many people were affected by this they were extending the warrenty to 120,000. Well starting about 5 days ago I have started to have issues with my car. It is sputtering when I drive, the check engine light is on, it is leaking oil, and keeps spurting out white smoke from my exhaust. When I googled what the signs of a timing chain going I got all these same issues are signs. I had it in a GM garage today and of course they say the computer is giving them codes that do not state it's the timing chain. They are saying the issue the computer is telling them is related to my cam shafts but to know for sure they have to take apart my engine. This is about a 6 hour job. So labor on 6 hours just to find out what the issue is??? Seriously? And of course the cam shaft is not related to the letter I received and the great part of it all is that my warrenty is up seeing I am at 103,000 miles!! I also have a loan on this vehicle and with it the way it is and seeing outlooks are no longer even made, I can't get even to pay the loan off to even look into buying a new car. I am screwed all the way around!!!! The service manager told me he will call GM to find out if they will work out some type of deal with me but honestly, he doesn't think they will. I will NEVER buy a GM vehicle again and I have told all my friends and family not to either.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    hlcole1,

If you wanted for us to into the progress on this for you, please email us your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN, as well as a brief summary of the situation, to socialmedia@gm.com

• challenger7challenger7 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a retooled transmission from a local Chevy dealership; my 2008 Saturn was only out of warrenty by 5000 miles. Tried to get in touch with someone who might be able to give me at least some kind of rebate on this expensive repair. Left messages at GM but have received no call backs. I would hope since this is only 4 years old i might receive help with expenses. I have been extremely careful with this car and had it serviced as advised. Is there anything I can do?
    I have a 07 Saturn Outlook that had 87000 miles when the transmission failed. It was 2 mo past the 5 yr part of the warranty. Paid $3700 to get it fixed. GM wouldnt do anything for me. Thats their way of doing business. To forget the customer once they sell you a car. Good luck.
  • chico53968chico53968 Member Posts: 9
    My transmission went at 83,000 miles and my car wasn't even 4 years old and was also 5 mo out of warranty!!! They did nothing for me as well! The water pump was going to when they got in there to replace the transmission! Pretty sad they don't back their product and a car shouldn't need those kind of repairs before its even paid for! I'm ready to dump it. Ill never buy GM again!!
    Good morning challenger7,

We're sorry that you're having a difficult time getting in touch with us; if you would please send us either your Service Request number (71-***********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN via email at socialmedia@gm.com, we can check into what's happening on our end. If you would also please send us your phone number and provide the best time to call, we can pass this on to your agent.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Our Outlook had the water pump, brake booster, master cyl,plugs and transmission replaced before 87000. Our warranty was 2 months past the 5yrs and GM did nothing for us either. We bought a new car recently and you know it wasnt a GM product. Never again
    Hi Sarah. Below is the email I just sent to the email address you gave. I obmitted my contact information in this reply but it is in the email I sent. Please let me know what you find and if you need any further information from me.

I have an 07 Saturn Outlook that I have owned for 4 years. It currently has 103,800 miles on it. I have had it in the shop for several warranty and recall issues. I also received a letter about 6 months ago from GM regarding issues with 07 outlook's timing chains and because of these issues, GM has extended my warranty to 120,000 on the timing chain.

Ever since I had this car we have experienced poor acceleration (along with many other issues). We had it in to the Portsmouth NH Saturn dealership a few times for this issue and they said there was nothing they could find. About a year and a half ago it seemed to have been getting worse so we had Midway Buick/GM in Somersworth NH look at the acceleration issue when they were performing a recall issue (yet another recall on this vehicle). They also said they could not find anything wrong with the acceleration.

About a week ago, I was driving on the highway and my car started sputtering, almost like I had a flat tire. I pulled over to find the tires were fine and when I started again, the sputtering stopped, however, my car seemed to have been driving very rough. It also seems to be having a lot of white exhaust smoke coming out and my check engine light came on. Seeing I had the letter regarding the timing chain, I googled signs of the timing chain going and I read all the same signs I was experiencing were related to the timing chain.

I made an appointment this Monday and took it to Hilltop Chevrolet in Somersworth NH. They put it on the computer and said it is showing codes related to my Camshafts and NOT my timing chain. However, they said to know for sure they would have to perform about 5-6 hours worth of labor removing the engine just to find out what was wrong with it.

I asked the manager to call GM to see if this would be covered under the timing chain warranty letter I received and he said the two are not related but he would call GM to see if there is anything they would do. The manager called me today to tell me that he spoke to GM and was told they would help but they are not sure exactly how much they will pay because they need to find out how much the repairs will cost first. So basically I have to pay $600 in labor just to find out what's wrong with it and to find what amount GM will cover. And to replace the Camshafts I've been told means the cylinder heads have to be replaced wich is almost a $5000 job!!! But needless to say I have no choice to have them do the 6 hour labor job to diagnose the issue.

I am very frustrated at the fact that I have had almost everything imaginable replaced in this vehicle and 4 years later I am still having issues. I also googled the signs of the Camshafts going and to my surprise the biggest sign is poor acceleration! In my mind, this is an issue that has been ongoing since I bought the vehicle and no one was able to diagnose it but now I am paying the price. I feel because of the timing chain letter I have,the fact that I have taken this vehicle in three times before for acceleration issues, I am only 3800 over my warranty, and more importantly the fact that I have a vehicle that isn't even in production any longer, GM should fix these issue for free.

I have been very patient up until now with all the issues I've had with this vehicle. I don't feel asking GM to warranty an issue that never should have happened in the first place is too much to ask. Can you please let me know what you find out and if you need anymore information on my vehicle, please let me know.
    Good morning,

You should be hearing back from one of my co-workers via email; if you don't please let me know and we'll make sure that it came through for you.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • br4509br4509 Member Posts: 4
    I would love to see a class action law suit! We would never see any money from it but at least GM would have to pay for making such a LEMON! I've emailed them many times just to be told sorry we can't help! So i'm out 2400.00 in transmission repairs plus a crappy car! :sick:
    Is this bullention a recall? I did not know about this and was never sent a letter from GM regarding this. I've also had my vehicle into GM garages after January 2010 and was not notified about this bullention.