Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• myshaktimyshakti Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I am usually persistent but I do not have any more energy to put into this issue. I just hope that others have better luck. My biggest concern is that someday it will shift incorrectly therefore causing an accident and/or harm. I used to have faith in GM/Saturn vehicles. :(

Peace,

Tracy
  • mkos1mkos1 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice! I did contact Corporate Saturn initially and they did exactly as you said (extended warranty-we said no, then car payment-we said no). So yes, we are now onto the BBB... I struggled with whether or not to ask for repurchase or replacement. Final decision was to choose repurchase because the brakes are now crunching :( I will let you know what happens.... hopefully I will have the strength to see this through... The car is now at service, working on brakes, A/C and checking to see if they installed that program upgrade for the hesitation problem.....
  • bheck1bheck1 Member Posts: 3
    When I am going about 45 to 55 I feel a vibration, does anyone else have this problem?
  • fkarasfkaras Member Posts: 14
    i have 2009 oulook with 6,200 miles and timing chain is clanking like a garbage can and engine dogs and dives while at 40 MPH cruising ,, GM is replacing today chain or engine today.. nice looking black piece of crap
  • bjagbjag Member Posts: 2
    2007 front wheel drive Outlook: Whenever it rains the tires have tendency to spin when taking off from a stop. They will also spin when accelerating. I can ease into the gas and the tires will still spin when the ground is wet. Tire tread is fine, 35lbs of pressure in the tires. Is this a traction control issue? Is there anyway to fix it?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    bjag,
    If you feel that it is not a hydroplaning issue and could be traction control, I would suggest taking your vehicle into your dealer of choice to have your concern looked into. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • alyssatay3alyssatay3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same piece of junk car, same year. All I can say is we learn from our mistakes. Never buy another GM vehicle again. My car does the same thing...so much so that I have to drive 35-40mph on the highway when it rains, and have practically been involved in numerous accidents. The hydroplaning is terrible. Between the hydroplaning and other cars flying up on me going so slow, I'm lucky I'm still alive. I spent over $800 on new tires, and it made a slight difference, but it will still spin from a stop to go. All I can say is good luck, and hopefully that is the only problem you will have. Just be as safe as you can. Lucky for me, my lease is up in the next 6 months, and I will never, ever look at another GM vehicle again.
  • ppp123ppp123 Member Posts: 4
    I don't want to drone on and on about how many problems my wife and I have had with the 2007 Saturn Outlook XR FWD that we purchased new. However, based on what I'm seeing on this forum, I feel I need to add to the list. We have had NOTHING but problems since almost day one with our vehicle and the transmission problem we encountered yesterday just adds to the list. After summing all the receipts for the warranty work, about $8,000 worth of work has been done to the vehicle. You name it, it's been worked on: front driver's seat (twice), radio replaced, engine torn apart twice for timing chain repair, keyless entry, power steering, a mold odor coming from the front doors, etc, etc. The service rep we had been dealing with when Saturn still existed said that our issues were legitimate and that we had an unual number of problems. We tried to get our vehicle exchanged for a different one with similar options through Saturn about a 18 months ago, but they would only give us an extended, 2-year, warranty up to 60k miles.

After the transmission problem that occurred yesterday and after what I'm reading on the web, I think we're in for a new transmission.

For those interested, my wife was on her way to take my daughter to see Disney on Ice when this problem started. The vehicle would accelerate, however, the front wheels would spin. Once I would get up to about 20 mph or so, the engine would keep revving, but the tranmission would disengage like I put the vehicle in neutral. The only way I could get moving again was to shut the vehicle off, restart and then put back onto drive. I had to do this about 20 or so times to get the vehicle home.

This sounds like a serious safety problem that GM needs to address. I see a lot of similar vehicles on the road, and I see an accident waiting to happen.

I think it's time for another vehicle after this repair if GM doesn't do anything for us.

Fortunately, my wife didn't get on the freeway and a potentially dangerous situation and they were only about 10 minutes late for the show.
    ppp123,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please email me with your complete contact information including telephone number and mailing address, VIN, current mileage, as well as involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mruffinimruffini Member Posts: 14
    Ya, Government Motors will contact you and offer you a free oil change for your troubles...freaking joke...looking to trade my 2007 saturn in for anything that is NON GM.
  • nredmondnredmond Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook that is a complete lemon. I purchased it new, and have had so many problems that I just do not know what to do, I have had major things replaced including a water pump, transmission sensors, timing things, and a host of other problems. This car has stopped on us 3 times during family vacations. A complete mess!! Now I just passed the 60,000. miles on my warranty and it just stopped again 2 hours outside of my town while headed on a trip again. I need to know who to contact for help? Any advice? I tell anyone that will listen to never, never buy a GM. The only reason we bought this car was because it had more room than the Honda Pilot at that time. IT is a terrible feeling to pay 500. a month for a car that you are scared to drive. HELP.....
  • downardsdownards Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2008 Outlook is having the same dissengaging problem. Did you have any luck with a resolution to this problem?
    Sort of. The 3-5-Reverse clutch plate was replaced along with the torque converter. It took 2 weeks for the repairs as the plate was repaired and transmission reinstalled on the vehicle. There was a loud whining noise coming from the transmission, so the transmission had to be removed/repaired/reinstalled. The day after my wife picked up the vehicle the check engine light came on which involved 2 more weeks of repairs. This time the timing chains were replaced due to stretching (second time this repair was completed on this vehicle). The check engine light was still on which led to replacement of the cylinder heads.

I don't know if this is covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, but we did receive an extended warranty from GM before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired due to all the problems we've been having. That helpe to cover the loaner/rental. My wife was handed a bill (accidentally) for the transmission repair and it was about $3,100. While it did not show up on our bill, I think my wife said that the service advisor said the engine work was over $4k.

I contacted GM customer service and the regional manager for GM offered us $1,000 towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. The regional manager said that they can't buy back the vehicle as it's past the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'm now in the process of filing for arbitration with the state attorney general.
  • bjagbjag Member Posts: 2
    I switched tires and the problem has been greatly reduced......I think.
    My plan is to test it again the next time it rains. fyi: I had the Goodyear Frontera tires with 4/32 of tread, but the tire guy thought they might have been the original tires (55,000 miles) therefore replacing might help.
    Try going with a non-goodyear tire and see what happens. Or, wait for a few days until we have rain and I will give you a better feel for the benefit of new tires.
    downards,
    If you would like to email me about your situation I would be happy to look into it for you. Please include your VIN and current mileage.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • outlook_sucksoutlook_sucks Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I bought an 07 Saturn Outlook XE AWD right when they came out. Within the first few months of ownership our car was in and out of the shop several times ( over 30 days I believe) for the Sun Roof Leak. Somehow Saturn could never replicate the leak, but it happened every time it rained. Soon after they finally fixed it a recall came out for the sunroof. It was missing part of the track to guide the water out. Solid engineering there! Somehow, a year or so went by with no issues, then all of the sudden Timing Chain, Water Pump, Transmission. The timing chain and water pump were both replaced and that took about 3 weeks. I finally got my car back and had to take it back in a few days later for the transmission. So overall, it took about 1.5 months to completely fix those issues. I tried to get GM to purchase back my car, or place me another Outlook with same features. They informed me that they were not able to do that. BS. All they gave me was a service package that took care of oil changes, tire rotations, and another service for which I cannot remember for. This package was good for 3 years. Bottom line is the package had a value of about 300.00 give or take….probably take. This process took about another 2 months since I was trying to get them to take my car back. Sweet way to keep your customers with legitimate issues happy GM!
    Since the time of those major repairs I have noticed that my driver side seat slightly moves when it should not. On top of that when I am driving and go to accelerate, it’s almost like the car hesitates and the engine jumps forward when it finally kicks in. I notice this mostly when I am driving on the highway. It does not happen every single time. But it at least happens several times daily. I am curious to know if you other unfortunate Outlook owners have this issue as well? If so, have you had this problem fixed? What was it? My car goes into the shop tomorrow to get the newest recall for the timing chain which requires a Calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor. So they fix this issue and now I am required to get more frequent oil changes.

GM is useless to work with and I am really starting to believe that they could care less about their customers!
  • mruffinimruffini Member Posts: 14
    "My car goes into the shop tomorrow to get the newest recall for the timing chain which requires a Calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor. So they fix this issue and now I am required to get more frequent oil changes. "

How were you notified of this recall? I have an 07 outlook and suspect that I have the same problem, but haven't received any notification...
  • wolf2947wolf2947 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2007 Saturn Outlook has had more than its fair share of problems.
    First, the same problem with acceleration hesitation that started this thread. I mentioned my concerns to the sales dept., who told me that it would go away as the computer adjusted to my driving style, and that there were software upgrades that would take care of it. I should've known better than to trust the salesman.

Second, power steering failure after driving through several inches of water. It happened as I turned from one road to another, and as the vehicle didn't turn as expected, I had trouble wrestling it into the right lane, and almost had a head-on with oncoming traffic in the left lane. The dealer adjusted the flaps that are supposed to protect the power steering belts. The dealer assured me this will prevent a reoccurrence, but that doesn't reduce my anxiety about it happening again.

Third, I took the car in for an oil change, and without consulting me GM service tore down the engine and transmission. Imagine my surprise when I went back at the end of the day to pick up my car. After promising to have it back in three days, when I went to pick it up, it wasn't ready. I got it back in eight days. I'm now going to a different GM dealer 20 miles farther away.

Four, about a month after I got the car back the water pump failed (at 42k) while we (my wife and me and our two large dogs) were about 2 hours from home. GM covered all the repairs, but it was extremely inconvenient and I would have preferred it didn't happen in the first place.

Five, we had to stop driving the vehicle, nicknamed "The Stenchmobile," because mildew smell is overwhelming. We took it to our new service department, who found a leak at the rear hatch drained into the insulation below the cargo compartment. Waiting for parts. Estimated cost of repair is $800.

I have a Chevy pickup (2004), and drive another (2007) for work. Both have been great. Wish I could say the same for the Saturn Outlook. I feel like I really got taken when I bought it.
    outlook sucks,

Have you checked your state's lemon law? I've been through most, if not more, of the same problems you have. You may want to make some phone calls.

As far as your driver's seat, we had a similar problem during the first year of ownership. It needs a new seat base. However, the problem has recently returned.

After being in the shop for almost the entire month of February, we are still having various problems as the check engine light comes on and off. What's interesting is that it only happens on weekends when the shop is closed and the light turns off by Monday morning. My wife took the vehicle in this past Wednesday and they checked the computer's memory. Apparently it's the transmission again. They can't do anything with it unless the light is on. I guess I (or my wife) have to wait to get stranded again.

For some reason, I don't think this latest recall is going to solve any of these problems.
    I received a letter in the mail 2 days ago. Call your local service center and ask them about it. Maybe you can bring it in and get it done without the letter. When I dropped it off, they never asked to see the letter.
    I am currently assisting Christina on the forum. Have you spoken to your local dealership regarding these recent concerns? I would recommend contacting your local dealership. They should be able to assist you further. I can also look into this further. In order to do so I will need your VIN as well as your name, address, and phone number sent to me by email. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    I have not contacted my local dealer with these issue, only because I truly doubt they will be able to provide me with what I want. If GM itself could not service my needs what makes you think that a local dealer can. We have legitimant concerns with vehicles that your company should stand by and replace, but you only offer vouchers for 1k-2k off a new vehicle or a [non-permissible content removed] service plan for oil changes. How about you replace my car with one that does not have the issues I/we are all dealing with, if you truly stand behind the product you sell.

If you are willing to help me please respond with a valid GM phone number and extension. I will not post any of that information on the web for all to see.
  • fboyerfboyer Member Posts: 1
    My wife is a first time car buyer, and GM said they took care of women first time buyers. Her transmission failed this weekend, and we are waiting for the diagnosis. my guess is GM will not pay to replace her transmission, even though it is a 2003 ion with under 125,000 miles, which is included in the class action lawsuit from 2008. Our VIN number wasn't specifically included in the lawsuit. We are planning on contacting FOX 2 problem solvers, and want any other Detroit are Saturn owners to post here. Bad publicity from a number of detroit area saturn owners might be something GM would want to avoid.
  • mobaybabymobaybaby Member Posts: 5
    I am having this same exact problem with my 2009 Outlook. I thought this was a problem they had fixed! We have had it into the shop twice now and they cannot replicate the problem. When we get the car up to 55-65 MPH it goes into the Hurky Jerky. Shifting back and forth like it can't figure out which gear it needs to be in and OMG just forget about using the cruise control, you'll lose your fillings!
    Anyone anywhere have any ideas on a fix for this??? :sick:
    We were not notified of this recall either but the service dept told us about it when we took our 2009 Outlook in for a problem with it running just awful when we are on the hwy at between 55-65 mph. It does this jerky thing and forget about using the cruise control, talk about whip lash.

I wonder why recall notices didn't go out on the timing chain issue :confuse:
    mobaybaby,
    I apologize you did not have information about the recall. If you would like to provide me with your complete contact information and VIN I would be happy to update your information in our systems.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mobaybaby,

Are you taking your vehicle to a GM dealership?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Yes we are. in fact the Service adviser we have is from the now closed Saturn Dealership.
    mobaybaby,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. Could you please send the VIN, current mileage, full name, address and best contact number for our records sent to me in an email? Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Ok information has been emailed to you. Thank You
    mobaybaby,
    Thank you we have received your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • satout2009satout2009 Member Posts: 1
    Mobaybaby,

I also have the 09 Outlook, with similar performance issues. What I have done to resolve the issue is increased my oil change frequency. After I took it to my dealer for the issue originally, they performed some bogus circuit board replacement. I encountered the issue again shortly after. I just so happened to perform the oil change prior to going to the dealer a second time for the issue. The hesitation stopped.
  • colleen23colleen23 Member Posts: 2
    I am having similar transmission issues plus more and have a 2008 Outlook. It also "spins out" off the start when it does not feel like I am pressing the gas that much. The dealer just said I am a "lead foot". It also is shifting gears strangely once and a while even at lower speeds.

I dont know anything about the recall either. I bought this car used last year from a dealership and feel taken advantage of since I was not told about this. Do they have a legal obligation to tell you? :lemon:
    Here is what ours turned out to be....
    With the help of GM Customer Service, the Dealer took the car back in and replaced a spark plug they forgot to replace when they earlier replaced a faulty ignition coil which was keeping the 5th cylinder from firing.
    Once that little forgotten issue was taken care of the car runs like a dream.

It was a little frustrating as this is the second issue we have had to have this 2009 Saturn in the shop for. The first was a headlight wiring harness that caught fire and had to be replaced...funny but it was not covered by any warranty and it was not a recall issue (even though the service person said she had taken in several Outlooks for the same exact problem).
    I am hoping the car now runs without further issues, I really want to LOVE this car.

As for dealers and recalls..I would never buy a used vehicle without a Car Fax or other type of report which would tell you of any issues as well as any recalls and if they had been done. ;)
    mobaybaby ,
    Glad to hear your concerns have been addressed and resolved. Please feel free to email me with any other questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • reefk29reefk29 Member Posts: 1
    Ineedto speak with a GM customer ServiceRep asap! We bought a 2007 Saturn Outlook2 months ago.. only43,000 we were drivingto San Diego and all of our gears broke and the transmission is gone. Me, my husband, and 3 small children were stranded on a moutain side for 5.5 hrs till the tow company came. We had it towed over 100 miles and didn't get home till 1am. Yes we paid out of pocket for that, and now it is in the shop and the transmission needs to be replaced. We DONOT WANT this vehicle anymore. My husband is getting ready to deploy and this is ridiculous!
    colleen23,

I would encourage you to get a second opinion from another GM dealership. I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall, just email me with your VIN.

Thank you,
    reefk29,

You can contact customer assistance at 1-800-553-6000. Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Thank you,
  • saturnoutlooksaturnoutlook Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Outlook XE AWD with 58,000 miles, I'm the original owner. I love the car but am concerned I got a lemon. Since I purchaed the vechicle I have had numerous transmission problems, from hard shifts to searching for the right gear. I particular when on the highway if I slow down due to traffic then try to excelerate the car hesitates and searches for the right gear, the car then seems to down shift to far and the engines screams. I have broguht it into service many times (two different saturn dealers, and now two chevy dealers) no one has been able to fix it.

In additon, I also have acheck engine light that will no go off. The servie departments make repairs often reprograming or replacing the plugs and wires, but by the next day the light is back on. The car wil be going back again this week.

My final problem is with the tracktion control. When it is cold or damp outside, the tracktion control warnign lights come on upon first starting, and remain on for about 2 miles. The light flashes that the traction control is off and to service the stabilatrack. This is another iussue the dealers can't seem to get right. this particular issue has been happing for about a year. The last dealer I went to for both the engine and stabiltrack issues told me everything was fixed, but when I picked up the car that night after work, the warnings came on as soon as I started the car. Unfortunately the service department was closed, so I had to take the car home.

Luckly, everything has been under warranty, but I starting to consider dumping this wreck of a car.
  • jnance1974jnance1974 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Outlook with 87k miles. I drive to and from work on a flat freeway. Here is my experience: In the first 45k miles, this car needed a new transmission and a new water pump. In the second 45k miles, it has needed a new throttle, the wires behind both headlights melted together and needed to be replaced, and now, it needs yet ANOTHER transmission. GM paid for the 1st replaced transmission, I'm waiting to see if the 2nd replacement will be covered. The other items were not covered. In the meantime, I miss work to deal with these things and pay for a rental car. I bought a new car to AVOID significant car trouble for 5 years or so. I am going to buy huge car magnets for the sides of my car that say "Do NOT ever buy a GM product." I will be the biggest advertisement of how [non-permissible content removed] GM is. And to think our tax money bailed them out. Tax dollars hard at work. Lovely.
    saturnoutlook,

I had similar problem with my Saturn. After two timing chain replacements and many days in the shop, the cylinder heads were replaced. The Chevy service department that you're taking your vehicle to should be contacting GM headquarters in Detroit on this problem. That's what the Saturn and Chevy service departments did in my case.

I am also experiencing similar traction control problems even after the transmission was rebuilt. The problem is that the light does not stay on, so the service department can't determine the problem.
    Much like your car, my engine has had the timing chain and the cylinder heads replaced. The cylinder head replacement did the trick for about a month, then it all started again.

I also experience the same issue with the traction control. Everytime I bring it to the dealer the light goes out or if kept over night the light does not come on in the morning.

I just wish someone could figure it out.
    jnance1974,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    saturnoutlook,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Thank you for reaching out to me. Please provide me your email and I send you the requested information.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Click on the member name for their e-mail..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jnance1974jnance1974 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it's 71-950495138. It's currently at a Cadillac dealership. Waiting to hear back from them regarding the claim.
    jnance1974,
    It appears your agent was waiting on a diagnosis. Please let me know if you made it in to the dealer and if your agent has followed up with you. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I went to my Chevy dealer to pick up my now repaired Saturn Outlook today. They had the car for about a week, and did a few different repairs, including transmission, check engine light, rear axle noise and traction control light.

Based on the paper work they made the follwing repairs:

Axle - diagnosed bad seal, replaced and road tested

Transmission - road test and check fluid, no other work performed (gues its my immagination the car doesn't shift)

check engine light - caused by rear axle bearing (???)

traction control light - no montion of repair or diagnosis so I guess they figured this was caused by the axle seal

In addition they also state they did a 27 point inspection and road test and that I'm good to go.

Well, after I picked up the car, I managed to make it out of the dealers packing lot before the traction control light came on. I immediately brought it right back to the service department where they all looked at me like I was crazy.

WHY can't anyone fix this piece of JUNK. It appears GM services cars as well as they build them.
  • twinsmom12twinsmom12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Saturn Outlook that I bought with 9000 miles on it. Now at 17k miles on it, it is at the dealer for 2 weeks to fix the transmission / traction control problem. The light kept going on and slowing my car down. The dealer has identified the problem as a broken lever and pin. Here's the issue, the lever was sent in by overnight mail, but the pin is not able to be found at any dealer in the country so they are contacting the manufacturer. Before I bought this vehicle from CarMax, I researched this as best as I could, and didn't see any of these problems for this year, or 09. I love this SUV, it works for our family, and now I am concerned I too have a lemon. It's under mfr warranty so the dealer is paying for the repair work. I did buy the extended warranty and if anyone considers buying a saturn, fork out the extra money for the warranty - I have a feeling I'll be using it in the future. I tried to support our Detroit companies being from Michigan, and I am sorry that the auto makers of US vehicles are not supporting the Americans that do try to buy American. Tell your dealer to look at this possibility. The problem is they will have to tear apart the transmission, and in my case they gave me a crappy chevy rental vehicle that I can't fit my kids in. So, it costs them money and your dealer may not want to work with you. Try a different GM dealer that has a better reputation. The one I'm using in NC SO FAR seems on top of it and are being very professional with me. But 2 weeks without the only family car I own is not easy.