Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Thanks for that reminder - post removed.

I'm not sure why everyone gets in a big toot to organize a class action suit anyway. The settlement awards to individuals are always much less than what a consumer could generally get by fighting on their own, and they can take years to resolve. This is fantastic, as long as you are willing to wait 3 years to be awarded 2 free oil changes. :confuse:

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mirman99mirman99 Member Posts: 1
    yes i know the feeling just yesterday 8k over warranty mazda says can't help me what a joke first mazda and last.
  • trimqemalitrimqemali Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with my Mazda 2.0 Engine. Less then 2 years has passed since i bought it, and i have driven 61000km till now. I started to notice big smoke coming out of the exaust pipes so i send it to a service center.
    They changed the oil and they saw that the oil was mixed up with the petrol. The problems according to them was one of the fuel injectors, which was coused by the dirt in the petrol.
    Its a funny thing to hear since there is a filter who is supposed to do this job, and a petrol leak in the oil is unaceptable.
    They simple cleaned the injector, filled up the engine with new oil and told me to keep an eye on the oil level. So i checked it out after 3 days and i've noticed that it raised again which means that there is still a leak. I've also noticed then when i put the engine in neutral and drive in downhill, the mazda spends up to 9 l, even that the GASS pedal is not pressed at all.
    I left it in the service center, and im waiting for a fix. I'm not planing to pay anything, and if the problems appear again im planing to sue mazda.
    I live in Macedonia, and if you know any good lawyer that can help me, please inform me,
    I loved my Mazda 6 very much but not any more.
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    I read your original post and skipped to the last page. I've never heard of a warranty requiring a vin number on a receipt. That's insane. Glad I read this thread. I won't be buying a mazda.
  • mazda62008jtmazda62008jt Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    I have recently acquired the same problem and Mazda USA says I am Out of Warranty.Offered no help and i got this Mazda 6 2008 in OCt.1,2009 at Champion Used cars in Houston,Tx .It was running good ,I have did oil changes every 4months at Walmart and check my stick often .No problems till now ,BLOWN ENGINE.I read all you guys blog about this car and I am trying to locate some Washington Help on this Problem with Mazda USA.I will get to you all when I do find any kind of help. I have an idea lets all start an internet signup to protest these engines in 2003-2008 Mazda 6's,HuH?
    If by Washington help you mean government help, then there is already such a "protest site." https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That's where you should report vehicle issues. If enough people report the same issue, they'll do an investigation.

You are, of course, welcome to start your own website, but you wouldn't be permitted to promote that site here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mkay2540mkay2540 Member Posts: 2
    I am heartbroken! I, too, purchased the car new & did all the warranty maintenance & oil changes. All I ever had to do was routine maintenance-brakes, tires, etc. My 6 has slightly less than 80K miles. I loved my car right up until yesterday when the engine blew. I was quoted $5400 for a new engine. I was also told that I "may" need to replace the catalytic converter and the computer but they can't tell for sure because they have to have the engine running. Is that true? They also asked me if I had run out of oil recently. I had oil changed in the fall and there is still oil in it. So the answer is NO, I did not run it out of oil! I've been out of work for while & returned to college. I don't have 6 grand to fix this. Oh, look---there's an ad right next to this post for the 2011 Mazda6 0% APR. Think I'll just go buy a new one. NOT!!!!
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    Sorry to hear about your Mazda 6 engine. Mazda will do nothing to help you. $5400 is about what I was quoted too. I replaced mine with a used engine for $1200 + $1000 labor. I had t do it twice so far. Car is nice engine is junk and Mazda knows is and is doing nothing until people sue them. I'm a Quality Assurance Manager and I know about quality systems and Mazda is hiding from this one. Shame shame shame on Mazda. avoid Mazda at all costs. They suck!
  • mazdafan34mazdafan34 Member Posts: 1
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/03/autos/mazda6_spider_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

I don't know if you guys heard about this but spiders are pulling an all-out assault on our car engines. After analyzing discussions that I have had with others, we can only conclude that Honda has bio-engineered a new sub-species of spider with the capability to not only locate, but to also destroy the engine by laying their acid-laden webs in the evaportative canister line. Now is the time to act.

One testable theory to explore how we can potentially extricate these spiders was posited by "William" (name omitted for confidentiality purposes). He believes that a simple fix to the problem at hand would be to release birds into the engines to decimate the spider population. The next obvious question then is what are the exact dimensions of the engine so that we can gather a sizeable population of birds who can maneuver through the twisted metal labyrinth of the engine. The problem with this, however, is once thespiders are gone, then the engines will be infested with birds. Not a problem. Next we will release snakes into the engines to devour the remaining birds. After the snakes are done, we will need the assistance of many mongoose to get the snakes. I am not sure what feeds on the mongoose in the wild, so I will assume any large apex predator would work (i.e. polar bears) so we will use polar bears to finally remove the mongoose infestation.

This is obviously the best strategy to combat those bastards at Honda. Now, it's up to Nissan to front the money and manpower to issue each owner of a recalled car a population of size-specific birds, a population of bird-eating snakes, one or two mongoose, and a polar bear. I think it is the least they can do. Please fix my engine.

P.S. Is acquirement a real word? I would personally use acquisition but there has been much debate. Thank you, lords of industry.
  • temeculatimtemeculatim Member Posts: 6
    My 2006 Mazda Engine finally got repaired. Despite perfect maintenance the engine blew up. I wish we all could get together and do something.
    Yea,don't feel left out me too,mine blew 02-17-2011mazda 6-2008-69000mi,cll mazda can't help ,9k over warranty.is my last of Mazda forever.If anyone out there start a class action plz contact me too
    hey ,I just replace my engine,but I read r post on chnging PCV vavle,Fluids,etc,Thanks I'll do that on this engine.JoAnne
    I will keep this engine i just boughtfor 6mths and i will get myself a Hyundai SUV,mazda6 sucks!!!!!
  • bflo6bflo6 Member Posts: 2
    I think the posts are all similar. My son has a 2005 Mazda 6 - it was off the road and in the garage for one year. I would go start it periodically because he was out of town. The engine blew after about six months when I tried to start it and replacement was $3700. Mazda would not take care of it. They said he didn't take care of the car. Before that he fought to have the catalytic converter fixed. The car has been problemetic from the day he bought it. He wrote corporate office they more or less laughed at the request because of his mileage of 91,000. Hope this replacement engine lasts a bit. :cry:
  • knight_ruknight_ru Member Posts: 10
    out of curiosity - for you first generation Mazda6 owners who have had engines blown - do you have the 6 cyl or the 4 cyl.

Thanks in advance.
  • bflo6bflo6 Member Posts: 2
    For the record - between our family members this is the 12th Mazda to be owned. No other Mazda had problems anything like this one. This one as well as all the others were 4 cylinder engines
  • mkay2540mkay2540 Member Posts: 2
    I thought I was done dealing with this, but my saga continues...by the way, the engine I have is the V6. So, Episode II. I go to the dealer in tears over the loss of my '04. I'm unemployed I can't afford a new engine. What am I gonna do? Dealer says, Hey, we can get in a lease-no money down. You have some money in the bank we can put down as income. Not liking the idea, but no money, no job, not too many options for a vehicle. So okay. I got a new 2011 Mazda6 because they are the only dealer who would finance me. Couldn't use the 04 as trade in-they didn't want it with no engine. (Yah, well, that's why I'm here!)
    A few days later I go to tow the 04 off their lot and guess what...it starts right up! WTF? I take it to a back-yard mechanic I know & tell him to find out what's going on. He is in the process of tearing it down, but he has told me I don't need a new engine! He thinks it may be a bad rod bearing.
    My question: Do they have really bad mechanics or is this a new way to sell cars?
    Now, if it was spiders in the engine I would dump the car like, snap, right now. Can NOT deal with spiders AT ALL! I'd have nightmares driving it! Arachnaphobia!!
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    I'm not sure how money in the bank counts as income. Not sure it was the best choice to lease a new with no job. I would have used the money in the bank to repair the existing car.
  • urkurk Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what the problem was? My engine has been consuming excessive oil. In the shop now. Can't figure out what it is. Please help...
    Define excessive. How many miles? More Infomation??

Possibilities of oil comsumption are leak, valve wear, piston ring wear, PVC problem, valve cover leak, head gasket failure and probaly several other possibilities I haven't listed.

Bottom line is let your shop diagnose the problem. On line posters cannot diagnose your problem only list possibilities which may or may not have happened to them and which may or may not be your problem.
  • tuscani1tuscani1 Member Posts: 2
    I have read alot of the posts on here about engine knocking.. I have 2 mazda 6's. one is an 04 with a 4 cylinder engine. I have heard a slight knocking since day one but only when car is cold.. have never had any problems with that car and it now has 168,000 miles on it. the only parts ever replaced on it was the radiator from when a racoon decided to take it out and the alternator. car runs like a charm. It has been so good that when I decided to get a new car I got a mazda 6...( it's a 2007 ) this one has a v6 engine and only has 48,000 miles on it. the other day the engine light started flashing... here is my problem... at 70 the car runs really good.. at 60 it has a shimmy at 50 it feels like the engine is gonna fall out of it. I took it to mechanic and was told that it is lean on idle and it is missing. He didn't want to work on it due to possible warranty issues so I called my brother in law and he seems to think it may be an air leak somewhere in the system.. I forgot to mention also that when car is idle you have to rev the engine before you move it or the breaks don't work right, which indicates air in the lines. Unlike most of the posts that I have read, I don't believe my problem has anything to do with oil. It doesn't burn oil and it isn't losing it. it maintains the oil just fine.. The only other problem I have had with it up to this point is that when I turn the car off it smells like rotten eggs, which I know is an emissions issue. If anyone else has had an engine problem like this that doesn't relate to oil being the issue or the engine being blown, please help me. I can't get a mechanic to even look at it until next week and I need a car for work. Thanks
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    A tip: the next time the engine light flashes, pull over and shut it down ASAP. If the light flashes, it usually means that you're doing more harm than good running the engine.

As for the "lean" condition and the smell, I'd first double-check to be sure the first set of catalytic converters (attached to the headers) are not clogged. If they are, it's covered by a federal-mandated 8year/80K mile warranty on all emissions-related parts. There could also be an air leak, as you mentioned, but I'd have it looked at before driving it anywhere, just to be sure you don't cause anymore problems.
  • tuscani1tuscani1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice... I will have my mechanic check the headers for sure. I am hoping it is just an air leak because I don't have alot of money to pour into a car I am still making payments on.
    Time for a refresher. I'm the original author for Mazda 6 Engine Problems. My car was a 2007 Mazda 6I with a 4 cyl 5 Spd. Then engine went at 11,000 miles with proper maint. The dealer clearly was looking for reasons not to cover the problem. I have since confirmed, over and over, Mazda USA has no plans to help any of the many people who have had the same connecting rod problem. Check out the message from the former Mazda Service Manager on my postings. He confirms Mazda knows they have a problem and hopes we don't take action to sue them. My replacement engine blew at 30,000 miles with perfect maint.
  • oceanechooceanecho Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I'm fed up with MAZDA!!! - and this is coming from a previous miata owner who thought Mazdas were as good as Nissan & Honda!

My husband's 2004 Mazda 6 died last August of 2010- just 1 week before our wedding! One mechanic quoted us a price of $5400! We weren't going for that, so then we went to another mechanic who specializes in engines....the guy there said he wouldn't even touch it because Mazda 6 engines don't last long and he thinks we should look into another vehicle altogether. The dealership quoted us a price of $5900 for a rebuilt motor! I really think Mazda should own up and pay for at least rebuilding these crap engines!

Does anyone know how we should pursue a possible class action suit?

btw-the engine mileage is 93k - but we took it for regular maintenance, oil changes, etc.
  • knight_ruknight_ru Member Posts: 10
    what was the specific diagnosis? was it the 4cyl or 6cyl?
  • taranalan7taranalan7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mkay,

I had the same problem. Could you please tell me which dealer you've got your new car?

Tara
  • lrotalrota Member Posts: 18
    It is very helpful if you are more specific.

Which engine, 4 or 6....turbo or regular engine?
    Automatic or manual transmission?
    What symptoms or other problems did you have before failure?
    What was mechanic's diagnosis?
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    What in the world makes you think that a 5+ year old motor with 93k miles going bad is grounds for a lawsuit? It may not speak well to long-term longevity, but there's a reason that warranties exist - and have specified durations. That's how long the manufacturer is willing to stand behind their product. Anything after that, you're on your own.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Warranties are about statistics, probabilities, risk and accounting. It has nothing to do with willingness to stand behind the product. Given an infinite budget, all warranties would be forever. Even Toyota and Honda have warranty budgets, and they spend them. When the manufacturer's kitty runs dry, you can pick up the tab with an extended warranty (i.e. breakdown insurance policy).

Sure, it stinks when the odds come up short on you, but statisically a few engines out of the thousands built will fail. People are okay with this concept when it comes to winning the lottery, not so much when its your blown engine.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Not sure I'm getting your point as you start off seemingly contracdicting mine but then close by making another point that supports my original premise. I think it stands to reason that the statistics, probabilities, risk, and accounting actually DRIVES the willingness to stand behind the product. If the probabilities showed that they could remain profitable while offering a 20-year warranty, then they'd be WILLING to do so.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    No, what I'm saying is that the warranty term is determined based on the cumulative incremental cost budget for warranty claims, not on the typical or design lifespan of the product. You make it sound like Mazda designs to a 60K mile lifespan and then cleverly sets the warranty at 50K.
  • pmac3pmac3 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my Mazda6, 67,000 miles and the engine just died, If there is any news about a class action law suit please post it.
  • pmac3pmac3 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2007 Mazda6, 67,000 miles and it died.
    Please let us know if you really want to get a law suit going.
    I'll restate this original posting. This is my original thread for Mazda6 Engine Problems.

I have a 2007 4 cyl, 5 Spd Mazda 6. The engine blew at 11,000 miles. and again at 23,000 miles.

I'm a Engineer and a mechanic. I specialize in FMEA (Failure Mode & Effect Annalysis) Which means I know no Mazda Service Manager can blame me for my engine failure without a tear down for Root Cause Analysis. Period. And Mazda blamed me. They said "your engine compartment is too clean, you must be hiding something"

I did one more oil/filter change than required.

Check back on my postings and read the one from the FORMER Mazda service manager on here.

Edmunds pull my request for all your information to start action against Mazda saying this was not the purpose of Edmunds to begin legal actions.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Being that in a court of law, a warranty claim can only be denied if it was proven that the operator caused the warrantied. part to fail, I really don't buy your claim.

What this service manager supposedly said would never, ever stand up in any legal venue. Although Mazda does not have the best customer service, this claim and reason just makes no sense and is laughable.

The fact that you have had no resolution to date from something that happened years ago makes absolutely no sence. You know the old saying "there are two sides to every story..."
    Two things we don't allow:
    - namecalling: please don't. It's like a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for forums posts.
    - organizing legal action: if a lawyer needs to document similar cases, refer him/her to these posts. If a particular member wants contact in any way, they'll have their email address posted publicly in their profile. If not, you're out of luck.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• austinsaustins Member Posts: 9
    That's pretty common. It's generally a good idea to just have a mechanic or your dealership do your regular maintenance since they'll always leave you with a verifiable receipt. They basically want to be sure that any engine or transmission problems weren't a result of you improperly changing your oil, etc. Having it done by a certified technician makes sure that anything that pops up can't be blamed on you. If you want to save money sometimes you can buy your own oil/filter, and see if your mechanic/service manager will do the work for you and only charge you for labor.
    How do I block problem people when I'm only trying to help people understand the issues all of us are having with the Mazda 6? I understand people who love their Mazdas would defend and try to, somehow, blame us for this failure, but it''s way bigger than that. It's a huge problem and Mazda lovers mud slinging and and blame pointing other than the true root cause is not helpful.
    We don't have a "block" feature here. We rely on members using their own built-in ignore system, which allows you to scroll on by posts by members who aren't helpful.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

"help people understand the issues all of us are having with the Mazda 6?"

I am not haveing any of these issues on my Mazda6 2006 V6 Sport 5 speed. 72400 miles and still running great. It has been a very long time since you started this thread. Seems there would be a resolution by now.
  • samsonov77samsonov77 Member Posts: 1
    I just had this happen to my 04....62000 miles, engine DONE. what ended up happening with you? Did anyone sue??
    I found an engine for $1900 plus $700 to put in in. Other than a couple of items it has worked good. Mazda wanted $6000. I will never ever buy a Mazda or a Ford again...period.
    A few years ago my Mazda 6 blew up desipte perfect maintenance. I bought a used one for $1999 plus $700 to put it in. Discovered an engine seal problem on the new one and it went through an additional 2 water pumps. Currently it works fine, but when I pay it off I will either donate it, push it off a cliff, or set fire to it. NEVER BUY THIS MODEL! IT SUCKS!
  • xwrdpuzlrxwrdpuzlr Member Posts: 5
    I sold my 6 - will not deal with Mazda again. I'm not aware of either suits or resolution -- but would participate in a class action if someone has the time and lawyer to initiate it.
  • marc76marc76 Member Posts: 1
    At 68000 miles my 2007 Mazda 6 was in the shop getting oil change and replacing front light 8 days later engine gone. dealer said the problem was I did not replace the timing chain at 60,000 miles but they never said anything about it needing to be changed. Mazda will do nothing. Sounds like a big problem with Mazda that needs a class action suit. I was going to buy the Mazda 3 for my wife but now I will never buy another Mazda product
    Like I said earlier in this thread. After 7 Mazdas I too will never buy another Mazda and suggest no one does. Mazda has slipped down a very steep slope to a very bad company with no hope of recovering. My Mazda 6 had only 11,000 miles and had had more than proper maintenance and Mazda said they would not repair my engine becase I did not have my VIN number on my reciepts for oil and filters. Who does that? Weesle words to sherk thier responsibilities.
  • jeff221jeff221 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 mazda 6 5 door. It also uses a quart every 1500 miles. It has gotten pretty good maintenance for the 5 years we've had it. No short trips at 116,000 miles. It still looks good. I just bought a new Honda Accord EX-L. No more Mazdas; back to Hondas. The Mazda also sucks air when the gas tank gets to 1/3 full. I hate when the blondes bear down on you in their escalades when that happens. The ford dealer in Enumclaw WA has a very unhappy service department. I thought the new Focus had a crappy transmission. It stumbles when you accelerate from a slow speed as after a hairpin turn.
    Well, I suggest you steer clear of Hyundai too. We just had another member with a warranty claim denied on a blown engine for a similar reason.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    dealer said the problem was I did not replace the timing chain at 60,000 miles but they never said anything about it needing to be changed

Your problem is with the dealer, and not Mazda, since timing chains aren't supposed to be replaced in ANY maintenance schedule that I've seen. Timing belts get swapped out, chains (in most cases) are for the life of the engine. I'd bypass the incompetent dealer and deal with Mazda directly.