Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Engine and Performance Problems

powervalvepowervalve Member Posts: 1
I have a 2004 Pathfinder that had the power valve screws in the intake back out and fall in the cylinders and fry the engine. I have 33,000 miles on the car, but I am past the warranty period by six months. Nissan refuses to replace the engine under warranty. This is the same problem that the Altima's and Sentra's have seen which is recorded on TSB NTB05-058. I am writing letters to both Nissan North America and NISSAN Motor co. I have also contacted Newsday and will be sending them all the info. If anyone else has had this problem, please contact me at un33dit@yahoo.com so I can have more info to fight with.

Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• raulroaraulroa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 pathfinder that in the last year, I replaced the engine, starter (2X), battery & battery cables and it still does the same thing.

While moving, it "stalls" and all the engine lights come on, then they go off.

Sometimes I am able to put it in neutral and turn the engine key again and it starts. Sometimes, I have to pull over with a dead engine and try to start it. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to start sometimes longer.

When it stops and I park it, sometimes when I turn the key again all the engine lights go on but it won't start. Sometimes, no engine lights come on at all. I've had it towed to mechanics and I have waited for it to start on it's own.

In the mean time, the clock, door chime, door lights and lights work when this happens.

What do you think this is and how can I get it fixed because it is costing me a fortune with the mechanic every time (dealer, regular mechanics) no one can find the problem when it is with them. They replace things, but later on, a few months later, the same darn thing happens again. Please help.
  • psaturdaypsaturday Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95nissan pathfinder 4wd 200k miles. The engine light has been on for about 2 years I thought it was just a oxygen sensor so I just replaced it and it still does that. I may start it in the morning and it will rev like normal then idle back down while driving engine will jump back up and rev and belts will squeel and then it may or may not go back to normal idle sometimes it will stay reved all day sometimes it will randomly drop and go back
  • psaturdaypsaturday Member Posts: 2
    I looked today at ir and the hose was completly broken going to the EGR valve, replaced it and cleared the code and the light went aeway for a couple of hours now it's back. Pretty sure I need to replace the EGR.
  • hpc25hpc25 Member Posts: 1
    this probably isnt relavent to you anymore, since its over 4 yrs old but I too have had this problem occur with my '04 pathfinder, but i was unfortunate enough to have it happen on 11/9/11, which was over 7 yrs since i purchased the truck. the mileage was 100,500 at the time. needed to have a valve job done as the displaced screw bent the valve. also had heads replaced on one side and presure washed and shaved on the other side, to the tune of $2850. mechanic had never heard of this issue. now my SES light is on and reading a p0420 code for the cat converter. A Nissan trouble shooter who i met thru a friend after all of this went down says the cat conv. probably went bad after the valve got bent and allowed too much raw fuel into the converter. oh joy!
  • plowman1plowman1 Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me last week :sick: . I had them repair the two valves that came loose, but they could not find the missing screws. Either they are lodged in the cylinder head or have moved on the the cat, or melted. They noted some scratch damage to the cylinder walls, but I am hopeful the engine will run, although I suspect it will burn oil now. If it fails again, I will have the engine rebuilt or put a used one in. By the way, my Pathy was also a 2004 with only 85,000 km on it! That's only 53,000 miles! Was my mother-in-law's before mine and she hardly drove it. Nissan should own up to this problem, and I intend to become a pain in their side until they help me out! :mad:
  • faisal_83faisal_83 Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 nissan pathfinder engine shakes after every starting engine, when i push the gas in while the vehicle still stopped and the engine running the 'service engine soon' light comes on, and if i start the engine and move the vehicle while it still shakes the 'service engine soon' flashing, and for both two situations the shaking goes after 10 seconds.
  • roofman1roofman1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 pathfinder, when the air conditioner cycles on the engine will vibrate or run rough for a few seconds. the dealer tells me this is normal just does not sound right. Any one else had this ? Thank You
  • tigerlife44tigerlife44 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the No Start issues, and the transmission has been acting up, but this is the first time I've noticed the settlement and lawsuit. Too late to get in on this??

Anyway, yesterday while on the interstate, the engine began jumping, stopped responding to the accelerator.. That's when I noticed it was overheated (no check engine light or other warning!?) and I had a serious problem. I was able to maintain a slow speed for another mile to get to an exit.

Fluid had been spewing from somewhere within the engine, it looks to be from the heater hoses. No fluid leaking around the radiator or engine block itself. Heater core or maybe just a hose leak?? I'm hoping I'm lucky here.. Could this be related at all to the transmission leak problems also?