Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    at the GM Auto Show in Motion at EPCOT today. The Redline was black and AWD, and I've got to say it was maybe the coolest looking ride at the show (well, except for the Chevy SSR). The test track is unfortunately very short, but you can tell that the V6 has plenty of oomph and it handled pretty well. The only downside I could see was some cheap interior pieces like the console tray, but overall, it was a great ride. Wouldn't mind owning one (except I'd like a sunroof). Take a look at one the next time you drop by your dealership.
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    I was just adding some information to the prior comment regarding forced induction.

No question about it, if you want power, just get the V6. Personally, I would not advise anyone to buy the 4 cyl automatic at this time. It just doesn't make sense.

The 4 cyl manual is one thing, but a 4 cyl auto with power package will run you 20,900. The 6 is just under $23,000 and comes standard with ABS/Traction and for $300 you can get a nice set of 17" wheels.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Since Jeep, Subaru, Escape/Tribute all look like they'll have their '05 mini-SUV's out by now or early summer at the latest does Saturn still wait until Fall for new models?
  • bluffhouse1bluffhouse1 Member Posts: 4
    A Black manuel fwd with the power package in Elk Grove, CA for just over $15,000. It had sunroof, power windows 235/60/17 wheels & sunroof, but no side air curtains.
    As for modifying, that's not my bag, but the article I read showed the powder metal rods blew at something like 325 using soley nitrus. The rods were the only weakness up to that point. That was the point they scrapped nitrus and started to evaluate turbo & superchargers. Somewhere in the middle 300 hp bracket they started needing headbolt mods. I/ll have to try and find the article & attach. It did say one thing however, the stock motor rated between 140-150 hp actually was producing 168 hp stock. GM tends to unrate their power specs.
    The 4 cyl runs decent, but is no where near fast. What makes this one attractive, is the safety, size (almost that of the Highlander, bigger than the small SUVs), economy (24 city & 28 highway), proven motor technology (why go with an import four with a timing belt that can break and cost you 4 grans to fix?) & price (for me, almost as cheap as it gets). The cons are however, risky quality control (based on the lemon tails, nothing Toyota doesn't have either).
    All in all, it's hard to go wrong if you stick with the basics. If you start going out for the loaded sixes reaching towards thirty grand, it starts getting risky. If you keep it cheap and simple, you can always bail without much loss.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Please go to my lengthy post at the Equinox forum Post 1077. It gives all the details.
                           Thanks
    Does anyone know of an internet Saturn dealer that sells the above plans for less than what is listed on the MSRP GM print-outs???

Car Care 3 yr. 36,000 mile.....$765.00
       Extended Vehicle coverage 60 months/60,000
                                 miles$1,195.00
       Just curious at this time!
  • mdgirlcherylmdgirlcheryl Member Posts: 3
    My VUE is a 2003 automatic, V6 model which currently has 15,500 miles on it. I've had it since Feb. 2003 and would like to know if anyone else is having the same problems I am. All within the last 4 months, the driver's side mirror cracked for no reason, the gas guage sensors had to be replaced, the middle console latch never worked, had a transmission fluid leak, and now, whenever I go around a turn, it makes his noise like it is going to fall off the axle. I'm pretty much fed up with having to go to the dealership, again, to get this taken care of. I know that's what warranties are for, but when you pay over $20K for something, I expect it to run without problems for over 50k miles, not 15k. Can anyone please let me know if they have also had these same problems and what you did about it??
  • nomannynodealnomannynodeal Member Posts: 1
    I was just offered a 2004 AWD V6 VUE for $19,615. ($5K in rebates & incentives) My little 93 SL2 went practically repairless until recently, then its catalytic converter, exhaust system, and water pump croaked within a month. Also started burning oil. I like the VUE, but am leaning towards the Forester XT. Why? Manual transmission availability! Hard to pass on the VUE deal, though. Price is being offered in Maine.
    That's a great offer. I just purchased the FWD V6 Vue, Comfort pack, side airbags and 17"wheel pack for $19,838. MSRP with the above packs was $24,338.00. On top of that they gave me $9700.00 for my trade-in, whereas other dealers only offered me $7500.00 and would not negotiate any further. With tax (6%),($874.20), $99.00 doc.fee tags transfer from Florida)... the out the door price was $11,083.20. I sincerely believe that Saturn somehow gives a better trade-in value due to them selling at MSRP, which gives them some leeway as to the trade-in.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Well, our 2003 VUE (now 18 months old) is holding up but we too have had a few more trips to the service department than we would have liked. Always minor stuff (like sensors, thermostat, and the coolant level problem), but annoying none the less. It's never stranded us though.

My wife still really like the VUE though, even though we now are back to thinking our Toyota (which is 3 years older) is our 'good car'.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    Our 2003 VUE is holding up OK mechanically as well. My main complaint has been rattles, along with the relatively poor gas mileage for my 4 cylinder automatic.

This is not a Saturn issue, per se, but a word to the wise on windshield "chip damage": Don't delay, if there is any indication of a crack. About a month or so go, I got a small star-shaped chip on my VUE's driver's side windshield, from some gravel or a rock on the highway. I delayed getting it repaired, and when I looked at it yesterday morning, it had suddenly spread into a long crack across the windshield. Now, instead of a simple repair with the deductible being waived, I have to replace it - and pay a $250 insurance deductible. Ouch.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Wow, things have picked up a lot here in the Vue forum. Congrats to all the new owners.

We still love our 2002 V6 AWD. In terms of reliability it's been perfect. We have had a couple of rattles in the back but they come and go. Overall, we would be more than happy to get another though I'd be tempted by the Vue's cousin, the Equinox next time. Seems a little tighter and is better looking IMO. That said there are some good Vue deals out there from what i'm reading.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The side mirrors cracking is a common problem particularly on vehicles subject to wide outside temperature variances (freezing, thawing, freezing, etc.) Cold or freezing weather in conjunction with the manner in which the mirror is mounted in the housing will potentially cause a crack right down the middle from the top to the bottom. Most dealers should be aware of this problem and should be willing to fix it under warranty at no charge.

Gas gauge problems are not out of the ordinary. Some owners have reported it takes a couple of tries to get the problem resolved. Others have said they have given up and are just glad to have a gauge that gives some sort of reading that can be relied upon even if they do not feel it is 100%.

Our '03 V6 AWD VUE has had three problems that have been fixed under warranty. One left us stranded and required a tow back to the dealer at the 900 mile mark (wiring harness into the main fuse box was faulty and failed completely rendering the car powerless), the thermostat failed (common on 3.0L V6 VUEs), and the hood release inside the car failed (also a problem owners have reported on various forums...release cable was misaligned and needed to be adjusted).

Wheel bearing failure is also becoming common on VUE's which may be the noise you are hearing when making turns. It may also be a braking component like a seized caliper or other such part. I once had a Ford Explorer with a seized brake caliper. Everytime I turned there was a horrendous grinding/squealing noise. It was repaired and the noise went away.

We now have 20,000 miles on our VUE (in less than a year) and still love it. Sure, it has some squeaks and rattles here and there but it is an all around great vehicle.
  • winter55winter55 Member Posts: 11
    Where Kernick can find that $5K rebate and incentives ?

If I get that extra 1.5K, I am going get my Vue tonight.
    Where do you get that 5K deal? GM current rebate is 2.5K plus 1K truckfest.

If I can get that extra 1.5K, I am going to get the VUE tonight
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I saw that info. posted here on Edmund's a few weeks ago, when you "Price with Options". It disappeared a couple of days later. It might have been in area.

Here in New England it is the same deal as you have $2500 + $1000 truck-fest, until the end of May.

The rebates should go up later in the summer or early fall to clearout the 2004's though. Wait a few months.
    Winter55,
     I just purchased a new 2004 FWD Vue V6. There is a $2500.00 rebeate, $1000 TRUCKFEST MONEY and dealer cerificates worth 250.00/ and my dealer gave me FOUR which totalled another {$1000.00}.
     I doubt if you will get more that $4500.00 off even later in the model year. Maybe...maybe not. I went for the $4500.00.
  • sjtsjt Member Posts: 3
    I am considering a 6cy vue with the honda engine under the hood. Does anyone have any opinion weather or not there will be problems with reliablitiy with this unusual fusion?

thanks,
    -S
  • drzooomdrzooom Member Posts: 4
    Hey winter55 - what state are you in? Can anybody tell the formum more about "dealer certificates"?? Do all dealers have them??

Sounds like you got a good deal.
    The certificates (as I understand it are available at all Saturn deakershipos} and are in $250.00 increments. My dealer (Southern NJ) gave me credit four of them. These certificates I believe are available if you decline the 0% financing and pay cash.I did not actually see the certificates but when i signed all the final papers, I had to sign "four" separate papers to show that I received same. The final tally was a $2500.00 rebate, $1000.00 off for the "Truckfest promotion and the "four" $250.00 certificates which totalled $4500.00.The funny thing is that the GM-Regional website shows a $3500.00 rebate for the Northeast and the Southeast regions. I did not check the Western areas. So...Go figure that one out?? I guess it is strictly up to the individual dealers.
    They are also giving great discounts on the "30 day" return vehicles. They even offered me "another $1000.00 off" on an AWD V6 with only a couple of hundred miles on. They even tell you why the person turned it back.I would have taken it,except I wanted a V6 FWD with side airbags and a different color. I wanted Silver and that was a Black one.For the extra thousand dollars, I figured i would get exactly what i wanted, as i have to live with for the next three years.
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    They are in $250.00 increments and can be used with 0% financing and all other incentives but not for a GM employee purchase. I work for Saturn of Troy in Michigan. You can get $1500 in vouchers on a VUE.
    So they had to come up with the vouchers as a way of lowering the price? Now let's get them to accept GM card points.
  • mdgirlcherylmdgirlcheryl Member Posts: 3
    I took my VUE to the dealership yesterday and found out they have to replace the rear differencial. Also, they heard another noise and were going to fix it, but the lady who called me didn't know what it was. Should I be concerned about this vehicle? They are fixing something I didn't catch...makes me wonder what else is wrong with it that I don't know about.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi! I wouldn't worry about the vehicle. The good thing is that it is being repaired (hopefully under warranty) and they also found something else that needed fixing. It is essential, however, that when you pick up your VUE you get ALL of the work they completed detailed and clearly written on the work order(s). It is good to have a complete record of everything they did for future reference if necessary.

Like I had posted before, our VUE makes some noises here and there but we really do like it and think it is a great vehicle. Based on our experience to date (which is only 20,000 miles) we would certainly consider another in the future. Our goal is to get 200K miles out of this vehicle :)
  • sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    We just joined the Saturn family; we purchased the AWD V6, with all the options and it is the dealer manager's car. The offer was one we couldn't turn down and after looking at the Kia Sorento, Honda CRV, and Ford Explorer we opted for this all black beauty. The deal was $1000 off as demo and extended warranty to 50k miles, $1500 in vouchers and $3500 choice allowance and truckfest. The combination was the best in the Atlanta market and the new Honda 250 is incredible. I frightened the sales person on the demo drive, when I found a new construction site and put the Vue to the test,it exceeded my expectations. We plan on towing it behind our motor home, 4 wheels down, and the trim, polymer body panels, ride and now price make it a hard SUV to overlook.
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can't tow a 2004 AWD VUE with the wheels on the ground, only the front wheel drive VUE can be towed with all wheels down. I work for Saturn and deal with this all the time.
    I read the owner's manual and it was very specific that awd was towable 4 wheels down. I'll check with the factory though and the Atlanta dealer said it was towable as well.
    to flat tow
    You are correct Joey. I spoke to Saturn Customer service in Spring Hill, the dealer contacted Saturn Tech Support and I reread the owner's manual; all confirm that the 04 VUE AWD automatic 5 speed V6 250m HP (Honda engine)is towable behind a motor home all 4 wheels down. Every 500+ miles you need to stop, start the engine, move the gear shift through all the gears and let idle for 5 minutes before continuing to tow, the same procedure for the Pilot, MDX and CRV. You also should not exceed 65 mph while towing.
  • whuestonwhueston Member Posts: 3
    After reading these forums for four years because I owned a '99 Olds. Alero GLS sedan and knowing it would be time to get rid of, I went through the pain this weekend of shopping for a new car.

Tried the new Chevy Equinox, hated it. Like the Rendezvous, underpowered, interior was all plastic and looked it, and the steering was etrocious. Would have bought a Malibu Maxx instead of it.

Tried the FWD V6 VUE - WOW. I haven't punched it yet, but 180 degrees different than the Equinox for power, and RPM's at 70 MPH. I know they are similar, but I actually like the interior in the VUE better. Maybe it is because of the two-tone, instead of being all gray.

Will report on the MPG once I get the stats. Just put 2.1 gallons in now, so I know it is full.

Oh, one more thing, It looks like the oil and filter are easily accessible for the DIY without even jacking it up. I am in VUE heaven.
  • johnbjohnb Member Posts: 32
    So, I finally made a commitment. If you read my other posts, you'll see I've been in the fence here for a while. I had been eyeing the Black '04 VUEs but after taking a weekend trip out of town a couple weeks ago, my wife and I saw a White and a Yellow one (yellow not available in 2004 though) and liked the looks of both of those as well.

So about a week ago I went down to the Saturn Dealership to look over a Polar White VUE. They had one with tan interior (my prefered color). It was a 4cyl 5speed which was also my pick for minimizing cost and maximizing fuel mileage. Finally, it was equipped with the Sport Plus II package ($1300) that includes the Power Package, 6 speaker CD, sunroof, larger wheels and tires, etc.

My wife and I both test drove it and it drove as nice as the Black VUE we tried earlier in the month. After a little talking with the salesperson and confirming the rebates, we decided to take the plunge.

All in all, I managed to get $5500 in rebates. That was the $2500 in lieu of 0% financing, $1000 April Truck Fest, 4 x $250 Saturn Flex vouchers, and the special QVC $1000 Saturn Gift Certificate. The QVC thing was ran early in April and you could call in and get a Saturn Gift Certificate valid through April 30th for any new lease or purchase of a new Saturn.

Final cost was a little over $14,200 for a 4cyl 5sp Polar White VUE with Sport Plus II, Pin Stripe, and Floor Mats. I wish I could have gotten the $1500 in Flex Vouchers instead of just $1000 but I am still happy with the deal I got.

As far as the VUE, it is a great little "truck". My only complaint (and this is very minor) is that the 5sp shifter does not seem very ergonomic to me. When you are in 1st, 3rd, or 5th, the shifter is pretty much straight up (about 95 degrees above horizontal). This means that when you are in 2nd, 4th or Reverse, the shift lever is pointed almost straight at the rear of the vehicle (about 20 degrees above horizontal). This puts the shifter at about 50-60 degrees above horizontal when in neutral. I don't know of this can be adjusted via some linkage adjustment. Functionally, it works fine, but I have long arms so I really notice how far I am having to thrust my arm rearward to get into 2nd or reverse, etc.

My wife's two complaints are that it doesn't have "Oh crap" handles (can I say that here?) and it doesn't have any teather to pull on when the rear hatch is up in the air (she doesn't have such long arms).

Other wise, we love the VUE so far. The sunroof is a real pleasure (a first for us). The baby car seat fits easily. There is way more leg room than our SL2. I really, really like the huge side mirrors. They provide great visibility. The ride is quiet. A lot of people complain about the 4cyl engine noise, but I hasn't bothered me yet.

I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first but, surprisingly, I really like the grocery "box" in the rear of the VUE. We went plant shopping shortly after we picked up the VUE and that "box" was great for keeping the plants from dumping over and spilling potting soil all in our new VUE.

I will report back later when I have some mileage data, but for now, all is good with my Polar White 2004 Saturn VUE with Sport Plus II.
  • strnsctstrnsct Member Posts: 3
    I just traded in my 1992 Saturn SL2 with 205,000 + miles to purchase the FWD V6 VUE. All in all, she was a pretty good car....
    So far am very pleased with the new wheels - it is a bit different being so much higher up on the road. I did some research and based on my experience with the old Saturn and how/where I drive, I could not justify the extra $ for the AWD. Never in my snowy days here in MI have I had problems getting to work even when we had official snow closings.
    Additionally, AWD is ~$1800 option on a $25,000 vehicle (~7% of vehicle cost). I opted to purchase the 6 yr/75K warranty for $1800 instead. What surprised me was that the warranty jumped to ~$2400 for the AWD vs the FWD (~25% of warranty cost for ~7% of VUE total cost). Another reason on top of the gas savings why I chose not to get the AWD.
    So far so good - I will stay tuned here to be aware of the good and the bad (hopefully never the ugly).
    Incentives 0% financing + (6 x $250 certificates) + College grad $750 + QVC $1000 + $1000 April Truck Fest).

My wife first noticed the lack of "Oh God" handles as well :)
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Welcome to the new owners. Have not been here in a while but it's nice to see things active again.

The Vue is a great little SUV! Enjoy!
    Can any one explain a little bit more about "QVC Rebate". What is this? Is it for anyone?

Thanks
    Johnb

what is the QVC rebate? How can I get it?
    stmsct,

Out of curiosity, how much did the dealership give you for trade on your 1992 SL2 with 205k miles?

We considered trading in our 1996 SL2 with 140k, but the car was worth way more to us than the $1500 they offered.

Thanks.
    winter55,

The QVC offer was a two day special thing on QVC back in the first weeks of April. QVC had partnered with Saturn and ran a couple one-hour Saturn specials where they showed off a few of the base model Saturn vehicles (VUE, ION, etc), basically touting how cheaply you could be driving one of them with all the current incentives. If you called in during that time, you could get the additional $1000 QVC voucher, but it had to be used by April 30th.

At the time, none of the Saturn Flex Vouchers where showing up (to my knowledge, at least). Even though the QVC thing is over, it still sounds like you can get $4500-$5000 off with all the current rebates and vouchers...

Hope this helps.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2004 New Crash Test Results (NHTSA)

Steve, Host
  • strnsctstrnsct Member Posts: 3
    John - not too much actually (a few hundred). But with the mileage and the condition of the car, it had a few leaks one of which was the rack and pinion which is a very costly fix. Muffler needed to be replaced, power steering pump leaking, r & p, ignition switch was sticking occasionally, and starting to consume oil. The car was not in perfect shape - I was just no longer willing to "deal" with some of the issues. I did not have a car payment for several years and put little $ into the car the last three years or so.

If they offered you $1500, you could probably get a few hundred more selling yourself. My mom sold her 1998 SC2 with 170,000 for just over $2K. There certainly is a market for reliable cheap cars - but it is probably worth more to you. Mine was until we had a recent addition to the mix that truly prompted a vehicle change. I could have cleaned the garage floor for a few more months :)
    I got the FWD, silver, V6 yesteday, $3,5 K rebate and incentive plus 6 vouchers of $250 each, total of 5K off the sticker price.

I wished that I can use my GM card earning with this purchase. I had over 3K in my GMcard.

Well may be in next GM car....
  • ironiron Member Posts: 4
    so what are these vouchers that everyone is talking about? How, or where do I get them. Thanks!

BTW I test drove a VUE V6 and it was pretty cool. The power was good, and the size perfect for my needs. My dislikes are the so so interior and very loose steering feel. Also it kind of felt a little bouncey. I bet the redline would solve these issues, but its a little out of my price range.
  • jollycj1jollycj1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Saturn and say some comments on the flex vouchers. However, I couldn't seem to find out how you get them or use them. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

thanks
    Chris
    When we purchased our AWD V6 Vue last week, I too had read about the vouchers in this group. Prior to closing the deal I asked the sales manager about them, the salesman didn't have a clue :-) and without batting an eye, they offered 6 $250 vouchers as an additional discount on top of the $3500 and $1000 demo discount. Best deal I have ever negotiated and Saturn doesn't negotiate!
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    My 2003 VUE is my third Saturn in 12 years (I've had six new cars overall) and I'm a big believer in the polymer side panels. Maybe it's because I buy new cars relatively often, but I hate door dings! Anyone know if other GM divisions are going to use the polymer panels? I might be interested at some point...
    Talk to the sale manager. Sib75 is right, some saleperson has no clue what is this.

The voucher is a type of "coupons" from Saturn issued to its dealer network . It worth $250 each. The dealers can offer up to max number of 6 vouchers per car to speed up their sales.

If you don't ask, they never volunteeer this information.

Depends on the value of the vehicle, and the availibity of the voucher , the dealer will offer you 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 vouchers. They in turn collect the money back from Saturn.

YOU MUST ASK FOR IT, and try to get the max (6). That a cool $1500 cash....
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Yeah, I like not having them as well. However, it sounds like Saturn will start going away from the polymer panels. I believe the new minivan will have traditional sides.
  • scanrmanscanrman Member Posts: 7
    I've been getting conflicting statements from 2 consumer electronics/superstores in the area about their ability to add an overhead DVD monitor to my '04 FWD V6 Vue w/ Sunroof. One says they can do it (removing the rear dome lights and mounting the overhead display unit in its place) and the other says they can't do it.

My question is... has anyone attempted this on their Vue and what, if any, problems did you have? I'd like to have this done because at the time I purchased my Vue (12/03) the DVD option was not available and even if it were it could not be combined with the Sunroof option.

Thanks.
  • redbirchredbirch Member Posts: 5
    got a price quote for a FWD V6 VUE with head curtain air bags, roof rack and floor mats for $20,028 which includs everything(tax & fees). This price is after the $3500 rebate and 6 vouchers that everybody is talking about. Do you guys think this deal is good enough to pull the triger?
    The salsman mentioned another $500 rebate for recent colloge graduates while I was test driving. But after I asked about the 6 vouchers thing, he was reluctant to give me the $500.(my wife just got her MS.) But I don't see anybody mentioning the $500 here in the forums. What I am asking is did anybody really get the extra $500 off recently?
    The other confusion is about how they charge the tax. The MSRP of this VUE is $23,684.95. After $5000 off, it is going to be $18,684.95. Which price are they supposed to calculate the tax on? I am not sure but it is about $300 difference.
    Any comment would be appreciated,

-redbirch
  • drzooomdrzooom Member Posts: 4
    redbirch, for what it's worth, I would pull the trigger if offered $5k off on a model with the options I "need". It is a hassle to search Saturn dealers inventories...they do not seem to have all the sticker info that the GMBuyingPower site has.

Also, I see no reason for the dealer to not also offer the $500 college grad rebate in addition to the rebates.

Let us know what you do...