Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES Starting Problems

portlandchrisportlandchris Member Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Lexus
I have a 2000 Es300 model lexus with about 99k miles on it.

About 2 years ago it got a new transmission.

Today I went to drive it and started slugishly, turning over for about 10 seconds before starting, when I went to my local welding store and came back out side the car did not start again.

Thinking this to be a battery / alternator problem I had the guys that work there use their jump start battery on the car, to no avail.

A few guys suggested it could be anything ranging from Fuses and Relays, the Solenoid, Spark Plugs, the fuel pump.

The check engine light has been on for a week or so now, but the only lexus dealership is 20 miles away.

If ya'll have any ideas that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I realize it is hard to diagnose without better information from me, but this is all I have.

Thank you.

Comments

• curtrdr60curtrdr60 Member Posts: 1
    the 94 lexus 300 we own, just got a new transmission, air conditioning motor, a battery and cables. It had been running fine until yesterday during my wife's lunch break when it would not turn over at all. Just nothing or click click click. When she called me to jump start the car as she left work, I could not even touch the lexus before she turned the key again to let me hear what it sounded like and boom it turned right over and started. She shut it off and cranked it again and it started again. She turned it off to shut her trunk, came back to her seat, turned the key and nothing. Just click click click. We let it sit while I went back to get the jumper cables after it sat about 3 minutes and just for fun I told her to try one last time before I tried to jump it and .... you guessed it, it started. We came home and parked it last night. What the heck could it be?
  • sean300sean300 Member Posts: 41
    I have posted quite a bit in these forums regarding my es. Anyway, I have a hard time starting the car when it is rainy or damp outside. Sometimes I will use my automatic starter and the car will not turn over. When I cancel the auto start then start the car manually it will start for a few seconds then stall out. I have to turn the key and hold down the accelerator for 30-60 seconds then the idle holds up fine and the car stays running. Any suggestions would help, not sure if it is Idle valve, carbon buildup or coolant temp sensor.
  • kinley2kinley2 Member Posts: 1
    I pulled under my friend portaco the other night, parked and went in side to retrive her. Within 10mins I had her rounded up, out the door and landed in the passenger seat, now that was a feat in and of it self!

I inserted the key: normal.
    Turned to ACC: normal.
    Proceded through ON: normal.
    Hello START: ABSOULTY NOTHING! All interior lights are bright as always, the radio was crystal clear however the car do not even make an attempt to turn over and start. Not one indicator light was advising me that there was an issue. The engine immobiliser system and the key were operating perfectly together. The battery is new, the starter and alternator were recentally given a thorough check up during one of the expensive scheduled maintence increments.

I tried start again.... dead silence. I called a friend who owns a dealership and had one of his guys transport my ES 300 on a flat bed wrecker about 7 miles back to my house. When they unloaded my car I decided to try and start it again.....PREFECTION, purrr like a kitten. I blurted a few obsentities and pulled into the my garage.

The next morning it started right up. I went into town parked, 15mins later returned to my drivers seat and once again NOTHING! It would not start for about 30mins and then out of the blue I turned the key.....PERFECTION!

For five days now it has been like rolling dice, will come or will it go. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would like to seem INFORMED as well as ANGERED when I pull into the service area next week
  • chkwongchkwong Member Posts: 4
    I recently experience some staring problem on my es300, the engine turns over fine but the car won't start. However when I slightly press the accelerator while I turn the key, the car starts fine. It seems like a fuel injector issue. Anyone has experience on this?
  • jandejande Member Posts: 2
    It seems the hotter it is outside the harder the car is to start. Last July I had to press the starter 16 times before it would start. Many times it is 3 to 4 times, other times it will start up on the first try. When I take it to the dealer it always starts right up. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the remedy.
  • edouble1edouble1 Member Posts: 18
    Had two similar problems within the last 2-3 years.

First problem: It would turn over nicely, but would take a few minutes to start. When it did start, a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. The problem ended up being, if I remember correctly, a bad fuel preasure valve. The mechanic replaced it, and the problem was solved.

Second problem: Several times(not very often, thank goodness), the car would just die.....I mean die....as it was being driven. Sometimes, when we would try to start it...there would be absolutely nothing...as in power. CHECK YOUR BATTERY CABLES AND TERMINALS FOR COROSSION! There was a minimal amount of corrosion on the cable end. When I cleaned it off, the problem was solved. Use terminal grease also, as that keeps them, for the most part, corrosion-free.
  • jandejande Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. When I take my car in for service I will ask them to check the "fuel pressure valve." JohnT
  • pelican2pelican2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. What was the answer?
    I couldn't locate the fuel presure valve that you described from the dealer, can you provide the part number? Thanks.
  • kgg5racerkgg5racer Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out your problem? I am having same issue with my es300. Frustrating.
    No, I haven't, after spending big $.
    If you find something, please share. Thanks.
  • bigdogbigdog Member Posts: 4
    I was having an air intake installed by a custom shop and in the process they have not been able to start the car in almost a week. The car is getting fuel, it has a brand new battery, but they tell me no spark to the plugs. They have tried replacing the coil pack and no luck. They will replace the ECM (part # JA1091) soon but have not yet done it.

Has anyone ever had trouble with the factory security system keeping the car from starting? Currently the security light on the dash isn't coming on. The key fob isn't locking or unlocking the doors either.
    Do you know what to set the codes to if that could be the problem?
  • tikimakatikimaka Member Posts: 5
    This is a common problem on 97 - 01 ES and RX with V6. It's called the Idle Control Valve. My 97 ES will start up with no problems in the morning but if i turn off the engine, i'd have to give it gas to restart, otherwise it will start again but engine is unable to hold idle, and stall. There was posting on lexusownersclub.com on how to self clean but seems pretty laborious. Dealer cost is about $600.

My solution? Just step on the accelerator when staring the engine. Not worth $600; i could clean it myself but i'll probably screw something up.
  • ladyq2ladyq2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 ES 350 that developed starting problems with one of the remote keys. I replaced the battery in the key and had no trouble starting my car for about a week. Now, the car will not start. Roadside assistance could not start it with a jump. I ended up having the car towed to the dealer. Has anyone had this difficulty?

ladyq2
  • andiamo924andiamo924 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, yes, yes. Same problem. Car towed from my garage to Lexus an hour away.
    They replaced the start push button. Got it back. Next day same thing. Back to Lexus and they've had it for a week now. Said it's because two fobs in the car. I told them when i brought in that I only have one in my pocketbook. I thought maybe something wrong with them. It did it at the dealers last week also when I brought it in.
    It's a 2007 ES 350 only 24,000 miles on it. Bought it brand new. I can't believe they can't figure this out. They made me think I'm the only one with this problem. Even had a Lexus field tech looking at it. Whatever that means. It's been doing this on and off far apart when it happens for about a year. Always thought I was pushing the start button first and brake last. Nah, I don't think so. I'm glad I'm not crazy but now i have a car that's not dependable.
  • tkaotkao Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Lexus es300 recently have a problem: every time it gets started then right away dies. Does it happen to any one?

There’s no problem to get it to start, but right away dies. If I keep adding gas, the engine will keep going, but as soon as I stopped my foot on gas pedal, right away it just dies. At first I thought it’s battery problem, I replaced it with a brand new battery. After one day, same thing happened again. I had it towed to an auto repair shop. They change an air flow sensor for me for about $360 (they wouldn’t give me the old parts, saying that I had to pay $40 for that, because they would send it to rebuild shop). After drove for one day, now same thing happened again. Can anybody give me some advice?
    i recently had similar problem. I had the idle control valve replaced. It works fine now.
    The part costs $236 and labor $85.
    Good luck.
    -chuck
  • keithinvegaskeithinvegas Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone been able to get a "fix" on the starting problems? Our 2007 ES350 has 26,000 miles and in the last six months began having problems. Replaced both key fob batteries. Have tried only one fob, leaving cell phones out of the car, no other keys, etc. Nothing seems to be identifiable as any electronic signal problem. Will attempt to start and it shuts off immediately. Usually after 6 or 7 attempts, the car will start and run just fine. When first starts up though, the auto a/c has shut itself down and the windshield heat control switch is flashing on and off. Thinking this may be a clue for the dealer, I have taken it to the dealer. They say nothing wrong and no computer messages are being recorded during the starting problems. Seem to me to be computer related. This morning when it did it, there was a strong catalitic comverter smell. Will relay that to the dealer the next time I take the car in. The dealer tries to tell us that we are the only people in all of Las Vegas having this problem. Hard to believe. This is our third Lexus and just may be our last. Any help or clues would be appreciated. :mad:
  • keithinvegaskeithinvegas Member Posts: 2
    After keeping the car in the shop for five days, the dealership was able to duplicate our starting problem. Turned out to be an intermittent short in the push start button. Replaced the button and no problems. :)
  • jbwheelerjbwheeler Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out the problem? Our 2002 ES300 has started doing this and it is so frustrating! Would really like to get it fixed, but would also like to know the problem before spending an arm and a leg to get it fixed!
    Upon the first visit to Lexus they replaced the starter push button. But it still happened. On the 2nd and 3rd visit they told me they can't duplicate the problem so they can't fix it. It happened again Labor Day weekend and I was going to bring it back a 4th time, but didn't. Since then it's been fine. Everyone I've spoken to says if they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it. My friend in southern NJ outside of Philadelphia has had it happen to her 2008 IS. I can't believe Lexus can't figure this out. I just don't believe them. This is happening all over the country to different years and models. Sorry I can't help you. But if I ever get it figured out/fixed, I'll post.
  • jbwheelerjbwheeler Member Posts: 2
    My brother has a friend that works for Sewell Lexus in Dallas, and so I called him and asked him what he thought the problem was. He suggested the starter and told us to hit it with something, and if it started then that's the problem. We did, and it started!
    We had an Expedition that has starter problems, and when it acted up it made a horrible noise! The Lexus doesn't do that, so this was a really confusing problem. But my brother's friend was so nice to help us out and listen when he didn't have to! We live in Germany, so we don't have a Lexus dealership to take it to.
    So if you can find the starter (our's is towards the top around the battery), take something that can reach it and give it a wack and see if that works. I'm sure this won't solve everyone's problem, but I hope it helps a few people!
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    About 50 plus years ago I had the same problem on a Studebaker. I carried a hammer with me and when it wouldn't start I gave the starter motor a whack. I finally took it to a garage and they said it was just the brushes. They sometimes hang up in their holder or get warn down to the point that the little springs can't push them against the armature. Replacing the brushes fixed my bug. That's a lot cheaper than replacing the starter motor.

An even cheaper way is to carry a hammer.
  • jimscar1jimscar1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Lexus LS460. A few months ago I started having problems starting the car after sitting for about 2 hours. It starts fine when cold and fine when hot but when it partially cools down, it cranks through two cycles before it finally starts. It also seems to idle a little rough and sounds a little different. Lexus has replaced the fuel injectors once which helped for about 2 months. They now tell me they suspect the cause is the Costco gas I have been using. They say they have about 30 vehicles with the same problem and all have been burning Costco gas. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    C/S THAT THE CLOCK ON THE DASH WILL NOT COME ON SOMETIMES WHEN STARTING THE CAR. C/S THAT THE CLOCK WILL COME BACK ON AFTER SOME DRIVING. PLEASE INSPECT AND ADVISE. <

INSPECT CONNECTOR E60- PIN 3 FOR ACCESSORY RELAY AND INCREASE PIN TENSION.REPAIR TO STARTER CUT CIRCUIT CORRECT VOLTAGE DROP TO ACCESSORY RELAY.
    52 Warranty Done

C/S THAT THE STEREO WILL NOT COME ON SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR IS STARTED. C/S THAT SHE LEAVE THE RADIO ON ALL THE TIME. C/S THAT THE STEREO CAME BACK ON BY ITESLF AFTER SOME DRIVING. PLEASE INSPECT AND ADVISE.

REPAIR STARTING CIRCUIT TO CORRECT VOLTAGE DROP TO ACCESSORY RELAY.RADIO AND CLOCK AFFECTED BY SAME CIRCUIT
    53 Warranty Done

C/S THAT THE VEHICLE WILL NOT START SOMETIMES. C/S THAT THE ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER. C/S THAT THE PROBLEM IS ITNERMITTENT AND HAS BEEN HERE BEFORE FOR THIS CONCERN. SEE HISTORY TECH 746. PLEASE INSPECT AND ADVISE. ADVISOR WAS ABLE TO START THE VEHICLE. INSPECT WIRE HARNESS AND CONNECTORS IN STARTING SYSTEM,CHECKED CONNECTOR E58-PIN 6 @ MAIN BODY ECU,CONNECTOR B12-PIN 63/62ENGINE ECU,CONECTOR B36-PIN 4@NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH,FOUND LOOSE CONNECTION AT TERMINAL #3 IN RELAY BLOCK FOR STARTER CUT RELAY. INCREASE PIN TENSION DURING INSPECTION FOR EACH
    54 Warranty Done

BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST DURING SERVICE

REPLACE BATTERY T1 71 T2 73
  • dantoconnelldantoconnell Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

sorry to bother you. i have been having an intermittent problem as well, where the car won't start ( no noise, pedal hard) then maybe some comes back (almost like a charging problem.) then if i leave it and come back later it starts fine. However, i also had the check engine light come on and to check the VSC. I am wondering if you had these same symptons? this happened once 3 weeks ago then car perfect until last night. I brought car to local mechanic (car started fine after having issues again this morning) but check engine light on. I gave mechanic key, and charging system turns out to be fine and the check engine light is gone. Wondering if this short you mentioned is same thing?
    This is from my repair order as to what Lexus found. There were basically loose connections. print it out and bring to Lexus. Lexus in Orlando told me this was the first time this happened at their dealership. I originally bought the car in NJ brand new 3 years ago. I know of two friends that have similar problems that live in NJ. Maybe it's cheap wiring.................

"C/S THAT THE VEHICLE WILL NOT START SOMETIMES. C/S THAT THE
    ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER. C/S THAT THE PROBLEM IS ITNERMITTENT AND HAS BEEN HERE BEFORE FOR THIS CONCERN. SEE HISTORY TECH 746. PLEASE INSPECT AND ADVISE. ADVISOR WAS ABLE TO START THE VEHICLE. INSPECT WIRE HARNESS AND CONNECTORS IN STARTING SYSTEM,CHECKED CONNECTOR E58-PIN 6 @ MAIN BODY ECU,CONNECTOR B12-PIN 63/62ENGINE ECU,CONECTOR B36-PIN 4@NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH,FOUND LOOSE CONNECTION AT TERMINAL #3 IN RELAY BLOCK FOR STARTER CUT RELAY. INCREASE PIN TENSION DURING INSPECTION FOR EACH
    54 Warranty Done BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST DURRING SERVICE REPLACE BATTERY T1 71 T2 73"
  • cornsilkcornsilk Member Posts: 1
    I have read all 30 of the posts...My 2002 ES 300 has 186k miles...no real problems and love my car. However, I have repeatedly had the "Starting problem" over the last year. We did replace the battery and that seemed to help for a while. Funny part is I can drive the car off and on all day no problem....then stop at the bank or gas station-you know less then 10 min and WHAM NO START! But when you go and jump the car it starts very quickly and no problem for several days. I have had both fuel sensors replaced (check engine light) but really this has been a good car considering all the milage I put on it. Put it in the shop twice to check for fuses, shorts and nothing found. So what's the next step to fixing this start problem>?
    (Keep in mind, 2002 is not a "push" to start - it is standard key start.
    My problems were in the wiring harness. It was an intermittent problem and I had Lexus keep it until it duplicated finally. Have them do a "ring" I think they call it of the wiring harness. They said my car was all over the floor while they were trying to find the problem. They made good on it and once they found the problem and fixed it. Things have been fine. They also had to replace the battery. The car was only 2/12 years old and 28,000 m on it.

Good luck.
  • cholesommerscholesommers Member Posts: 1
    2002 ES 300 only 102k Miles on it. Had it for a year and no issues. Then 3 Weeks that starter went bad. Would hit it with a flashlight to get it to start. After 2 days of this and it just died. Had the starter replaced, ran fine for the past 3 weeks and now its doing it all over again. Only now, when I get it running it will die as soon as I idle at a stop sign or red light. There has got to be another reason for this
    Unless Lexus or someone can duplicate it................in my personal opinion with what i went through with my car.............the wiring just in plain english...sucks. could be something loose there. and if they put in a new starter maybe the new starter has issues. where do they get these parts from? China?
  • nezer_flowernezer_flower Member Posts: 1
    The engine start some times later it may refuse to start again. Leave the car for a while it start. Now, for three weeks it refuse to start
  • rajivsrajivs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ES300. Today, when it was cold it started fine. I drove the car from its parking spot and moved it to the garage. I shut the engine and then tried to restart. It does not start. what could be the reason.
  • jlbenzeljlbenzel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 ES350 & my 'not starting' problems started last April. It is now April again so this has been going on for a full year! I have had 6 episodes with the starter button not starting the car plus numerous times when I have been able to wiggle the button around & after several tries get it to start. This is very stressful, to say the least. I am afraid to go any where at night or very far away! I have an undependable car & and the dealer has not been able to find or fix the problem! It always starts for them! I now have a call into the manufacturer in Torrance, CA.
    & have also contacted an attorney regarding the California Lemon Law.
    I cannot go on like this. I must have a dependable car!
  • bz1_si_nybz1_si_ny Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Been having intermittent starting problem for past 6 months. 2005 ES330 50,000 miles. Regularly serviced, no mechanical problems. Standard key type - not newer wifi. On a random basis, car won't start when I turn key to start. I get a that awful "click,click...click" that sounds like the battery has discharged to a point just below that required to start car on a very cold day (except it's been a delightful 70 degrees the whole day).

First thought - bad battery. Leave car overnight (after road service jump start and 30 minutes driving to charge battery). After road service, jump start, and battery charge, tried Theory1:
    1 - Simple theory: if BAD CELL in battery, car won't start in the morning when engine cold and I just go out and get another battery. Happens all the time. Outcome - car starts just fine lots of times for at least a week. Then, same thing happened. Tried Theory2:

2 - Battery not really charged up enough after jump start and running car for 30 minutes insuring battery charge. Solution verification of charge: bubble indicator on battery reads ("I'm fully charge"). Buy a battery hotshot system (consisting of cables attached to a portable "jumper system", keep it in the trunk just in case it happened again (Costco for about $70).
    Outcome - Battery seems OK (says I'm OK) and car starts just fine lots of times for a few weeks. Then, going through a puddle after a rain storm, car looses all electrical power. But (fortunately), about 5-10 seconds later, comes back on (as if power grid re-initialized itself like after EMS revives a heart attack victim). You don't hear that this happened often, especially in a Lexus, probably because everyone was killed in the ensuing car accident which fortunately didn't happen to us. So. I the Tried Theory3:

3 - Battery OK. Electrical system (battery cables; grounding, wiring, connectors; fuse seating in fuse panel, computer malfunction (heaven forbid)? Take car to dealer (who also provides fantastic service including free breakfasts, internet access while waiting for repairs, or loaner cars if needed). Make sure to have the cables cleaned, checked, reseated, or replaced.
    Outcome - dealer couldn't find problem, but cleaned and reconditioned cable, cable posts. Recommends buy new battery. I don't buy new battery (didn't seem correct solution).
    Car starts just fine lots of times after that for at least 2-3 months. Then, out of the blue, same thing happened re starting car. This time after short visit to a Mall. Clicks, clicks,..clicks, but car doesn't start. Battery reads "I'm fully charged", Hotshot indicator on portable reads "battery charge ok" on load test, Hotshot works fine. Car starts ok as if nothing happened.

Current theory4: Starter motor and/or wiring harnesses at issue (although I would have thought the dealer looked at these items). Have begun carrying a hammer with me (if only I knew exactly where the solenoid to the starter motor was located like in my old 1969 Dodge Dart I had way back when, or even if there still is such a part and it works in my Lexus like the old starter motor worked). or Trade the #$$% thing in and get a new car (but with only 50,000 miles?).

Anyone have similar experiences? Ideas? Thoughs? Did the problem really go away after starter motor issues repaired?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have run into this identical problem many times in my life, with many different cars. It's the battery. It's shorting out internally, and although it will charge, show charged, and start the car fine most times, sometimes it will just totally discharge and go flat for no reason. Get a new battery, I'll bet your problem goes away.
  • _chuy_chuy Member Posts: 1
    My wife's ES350 just started making this funny clicking noise and the car wouldn't start on the first punch of the button. Push it again and it starts. Problem occurs randomly; so it can't be the battery, which is 4yrs old but not the problem based on the random occurrence.

I haven't touched the car, but I'm thinking starter solenoid or starter relay. To narrow it down, I'm hoping to identify the problem by feeling each one when the problem occurs. The one that clicks should be the culprit.
    Still think it's the battery, especially if it's 4 years old. Risk $100 and find out if I'm right, why don't ya?
  • therealjabtherealjab Member Posts: 3
    _chy,

Although your battery may not directly be the culprit behind the random starting problems that your ES350 exhibits, the battery terminal (positive or negative) could be loose. (reference this diagram) In my old '91 MR2 I would experience occasional difficulties starting the car even though I had recently replaced the battery. After carefully scrutinizing the battery itself I finally noticed that the positive terminal was hanging minutely off of the battery. So I screwed the terminal back onto the battery and consequently I did not experience this random starting issue any more.
  • esthreehundredesthreehundred Member Posts: 1
    After reading some of the posts relating to starting issues, I didn't feel so alone. For about two months now, I've been experiencing issues where when I go to start, the car cranks excessively (about 6-10 seconds) which doesn't sound like a long time, but when you are starting, it's not normal.

I've taken to a local mechanic, couldn't find a problem, taken it to the dealer, they had it for 2 1/2 days, couldn't find a problem. I've had a full BG fuel system service, new "Lexus" spark plugs, and a new battery installed, didn't fix the problem. Good news is, I've gotten a tune-up, but I worry this problem is a pre-cursor to something bigger, and I would like to fix it early.

My car is a 2003 ES300 with 138,000 miles. The car runs and drives great, it's just when starting up there seems to be a problem lurking. Also, it happens at random times, never a way to predict, and of course, the dealer "couldn't re-create the problem", as usual.

Don't get me wrong, Lexus is still one of the nicest most polite dealership establishments I've used, and they actually care, but I just wonder why they can't hear/see/feel what I'm experiencing, or why they can't diagnose.

Any others out there with this particular type of issue?
    I had one with the same problem. It turned out to be fuel pressure leak down while the car was off. The pressure in the injectors took a few seconds to re-pressurize upon starting. There's a valve that is supposed to prevent that, which was failing.
  • steveo24steveo24 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 ES 330 that's been humming along beautifully, and today while returning from a local store, it just - wouldn't start.

I turn the key, get the radio and lights, all is well. But no engine action. It doesn't crank, click, nothing. Just the radio.

I tried a second key to see if the electronic key wasn't working, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
    Had a "starting" problem with my 2007 ES350 2 years ago. After 4 attempts to duplicate..............over a 6 month period...........Lexus found problems in the wiring harness.
    Found the problem with my car. The symptom: I turned the key a notch and the power comes on, radio, lights, air, everything. I turn it further to start the car and - nothing. Not a crank, not a click, absolutely nothing. I tried a second key, since they say sometimes the electronic key code in your key is the problem - as in "the key broke" - but no difference. A service rep told me on the phone that it "could be the battery", even though I had power. And it was a 3-year battery that was four years old, so I thought - sure, why not, I bought a brand new one and dropped it in. No difference. So last night I towed it to a Toyota dealership and this morning I just got the call - it's the starter, and for the 2003 Lexus ES 330, I've been quoted $619 to replace the starter by the Toyota dealership.
  • tobyjsilvatobyjsilva Member Posts: 1
    steveo24 - Like many others on this thread including yourself, I just started experiencing the exact same issue with my '02 ES300 over the past couple of days. I absolutely LOVE my Lexus, but this is SOOOOO frustrating!!! No warning anything was going to happen so I could be prepared.

Since your post was only a couple months ago, I'm wondering if the new starter fixed the issue?

Thanks - Toby S.
    Not sure what "warning" you were expecting with a starter failure. If they hit a bad spot on the armature, they don't turn. Sorry for the inconvenience - but machines don't last forever....
  • jet15jet15 Member Posts: 2
    Having the same problem with my 2007 ES 350. This has been going on since February. New starter relay, new ignition switch, new battery. Dealer hasn't been able to find the problem. Interested in the wiring harness, can that be diagnosed when the car is not exhibiting the problem? I have lost confidence in my car, I can't afford to be stranded in the summer (I live in Tucson).
    Toby S. -

Sorry that I'm just now responding to this, I suspect your reply in November may have got caught in my spam filter. I just received an unrelated reply and noticed your post.

In answer to your question - yes, I replaced the starter that day, in late November 2011, and as of this writing, which is about six months later, May 23, 2012, the car's been fine, no problems whatsoever.
    nvbanker -

True, machines don't last forever, and they aren't perfect. The reason I understand the "no warning" concern is this: I've been driving since the mid-1970's, and older cars, prior to electronic-everything, often gave warnings of upcoming problems. When starting mechanisms were wearing out, they would struggle to start the car, but still get it started. The result: you knew in advance that you needed to address something.

I'm a tech geek and love features and electronics, but if I were given a choice, I would NOT take them in my engine. Engines used to be so much simpler to work on and cheaper to fix. Nowadays, most of the maintenance expense I've had with vehicles involve fancy electronic features I never asked for and never wanted. How many of us have to take our cars in the shop to get warning lights turned off, or electronic monitoring systems fixed? I'd just as soon skip all that nonsense and stick with a simple motor. I just got back from a classic car show and was chatting with lots of people who talk about getting older model cars NOT just for their collectible value, but more as a preferred alternative to the new, complex, expensive, electronics-laden error-prone monstrosities burdened with loads of trivial features that do nothing to help me get from Point A to Point B, they just add to the risk of malfunction and increase the maintenance expense.

Toyota is something of an exception in this regard, I've been very happy with Toyota or Lexus vehicles, in general. Were it not for that, I think I'd be shopping for an older model simple vehicle, free of all the electronics and their associated maintenance risks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Could you give more specific details about the problem you're experiencing? Is your starting issue intermittent? And, when you try to start the vehicle, what exactly happens?

I can't diagnose your problem, but more details might help those with mechanical expertise.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews