Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    I drive 08 5speed and it will downshift on hills in cruise{small hills} with higher RPMs--my old 02 4 speed did not do that--cannot figure that is better for gas mileage or engine wear. Both vehicles would cruise at about 2200RPMs at 70mph. The 08 will go to about 3300RPMs when it downshifts in the 70mph range. Any answers why the 5 speed is better?? Both vehicles were 4 cylinder Camrys.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I just got back from vacation and I hope you haven't sprayed anything on the upholstery of your new car. The Camry has a special fabric that is treated with Fraichir which doesn't irritate the skin. So technically you could drive the car butt naked and wouldn't have to worry about a rash or other skin irritations. If you spray scotchguard or other substances then it will destroy the Fraichir treatment that the upholstery has already been treated with. '
    Mack
    From Toyota's website:

"Fabric seat and door trim treated with Fraichir™ [4] process with integrated armrests and dual front and rear map pockets"
    4:
    "Fraichir™ is a trademark of Seiren Co., Ltd."
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Fraichir is only with the XLE cloth.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Here is an intersting question. Acura is about to release the all new redesigned TSX. I was wondering is it better to buy a Toyota Camry SE (4 Cylinder) or the new TSX which is about $29k compared to the Camry SE with leather which is like 27k. Sorry, if i get the prices messed up. So, is it better to spend a couple grand more and buy the AKA luxurious Accord (TSX). I know this a Camry forum and I have an idea of the responses that I will get.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Best FE is attained with the engine consistently operating at the lowest possible RPM that will still produce (just barely...) enough torque to move the vehicle along at whatever speed you have chosen. CVTs, Continuously Variable transmissions, can put you right on the "cusp" of lowest possible RPM 100% of the time.

Obviously a 5 speed vs a 4 speed will more often put you at the "just barely" level. So yes, you will likely experience more upshifts with a 5 speed than a 4 speed with the same engine.

Does the '08 I4 produce the same HP/torque as the one in your '02 did..??

Or something slightly higher..??

Additionally, along with the new '08 5 speed undoubtedly came the technologically advanced ability to make use of the torque converter's lock up clutch more often. So, while your 4 speed may have only used the lockup in OD, 4th gear, the 5-speed might use the lockup clutch in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear.

So really, when it comes down to it, you're comparing an '02 4 speed automatic transaxle with an '08 8 speed transaxle.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Horsepower and torque on the Camry 4-cylinder changed only slightly between 2002-08, and some of this is an artifact caused by the new SAE standards for measurement.

I have both a Camry 4-cylinder 4A and a 5A (2004 vs. 2005 models), and I can tell you that the 5-speed shifts a lot more than the 4-speed (and gets poorer mpg in the process -- go figure).
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Horsepower and torque on the Camry 4-cylinder changed only slightly between 2002-08, and some of this is an artifact caused by the new SAE standards for measurement.

I have both a Camry 4-cylinder 4A and a 5A (2004 vs. 2005 models), and I can tell you that the 5-speed shifts a lot more than the 4-speed (and gets poorer mpg in the process -- go figure).
    Then why would Toyota go to a 5 speed when the 4 speed had less shifting and better fuel efficiency??????What were the engineers thinking when doing this change to a 5 speed??
    Is it then OK to use Scotchguard on all other models??
    If one has an LE is it ok to use Scotchguard?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, I have a CE (same interior as LE except doesn't have power driver's seat) and the Scotchguard works fine.
    Maybe because computer analysis indicated better FE could be attained by the MAJORITY of drivers via the use of the 5-speed vs the 4...??

Or maybe it was only, strictly, intuition based on the fact that vehicles with a CVT, Continuously Variable Transaxle, but otherwise equivalent vehicles, get much better FE.
    Thanks--I would rather have the manual seat and a CE but wanted the Barcelona Red and could not get it in a CE--the power seat to my wife an I adds really nothing but cost--we did well with our 02 without power seat--could move the seat quicker rather than the slow motor on the power seat.
    Forgot to tell you for the extra $$$ for the LE you get a first aid kit----------------
    Yes, I did not want that slow-moving seat either. True, the colors are limited in the CE. I would have liked the keyless entry, but I can still add that for $150 or so.
    Yeah, but it's not the keyless entry with lock, unlock, trunk release, and panic mode. Not to mention the key has the chip for the engine immobilizer feature. Plus that power seat is fun to adjust. ;)
    Mack
    My CE has the engine immobilizer built into the key. When the key is not in the ignition, the security light flashes.

I was talking about getting keyless aftermarket, so I would get keyless entry with lock and unlock, but no trunk release.

For the price difference, I can live without remote trunk release!!
  • litrafficlitraffic Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2009 Camry LE (with auto transmission). But I have noticed that a spot on the rear-left of the gear box gets really hot during highway driving. The spot is about the size of a quarter, and eventually it expands to the rear end of the shift box, say, after 1.5 hours on the highway. I took it to the service department of the dealership. As you can expect, it was cool that morning since I was sitting in traffic most of the time so the gear box did not heat up as I would if were cruising at 70 mph. The service manager at the dealership said he checked but there was no recall on the model yet. He suspected the heat was caused by insufficient insulation and said that Toyota was probably working on a "field fix."
    I did an internet search and discovered this was a problem with 2008 LE model but there has not been a recall or a field fix yet. Some drivers thought it was either the shift lock solenoid or the lightbulb eluminating the gear indicators.

I worry that my gear box may melt before Toyota comes up with a fix. It was kind of uncomfortable driving knowing someting that should be cool is very hot.
    Anyone knows what is going on?
    You are correct. The 09 does come with an engine immobileizer key. Now if you would have bought the XLE you would get the immob plus an alarm. ;)
    Mack
    The 09 Camry has a sensor that if you exceed the speed limit it will trigger the heat on the center console. Look it up, it's on your owner's manual.
    Mack
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    The 09 Camry has a sensor that if you exceed the speed limit it will trigger the heat on the center console. Look it up, it's on your owner's manual

I don't have a 09 model Camry, so could you please elaborate on this issue a bit more? Exactly why would Toyota install such a device, and how would it know what the speed limit is? Are you referring to the RPM speed limiter on the engine?

Please explain...Thanx!
    It was just a joke!!!
    True, but I have no use for it. I do need the money I saved though!!!
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    OK...You got me...

For the life of me, I could not see why that would have been. I guess I was having a "duh-h-h-h" moment!
    Sorry guys it was just a light hearted moment. I wonder how many of you actually looked it up in the owner's manual?
    Mack
    :)
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    After testing a new 2008 Honda Accord V-6 with its "run on 3 cylinders at cruising speeds" technology and wind and road noise so bad that I had to turn the radio up to drown it out, I purchased a 2009 Camry 3.5 Liter 268 HP V-6 with its smooth as silk Lexus drive train. I drive 80% highway (55 to 75 mph) and 20% city and I was hoping it would get the same 30 mpg as my 1997 Camry. Using Shell "top tier" (high detergent) premium gasoline to take advantage of the timing advance feature which improves power and gas mileage over regular gas, after over 1,000 miles, I have gotten 36 - yes that's thirty six - miles to the gallon. Consumer reports rates the 158 HP 4 cyl Camry as "underpowered" and the EPA ratings don't take into account that you practically have to "push the pedal to the metal" to go up a steep hill. My 1997 Camry V-6 always got better mileage than my friends' Camrys with the 4 cyl. My 2009 V-6 gets better mileage than my neighbor's 2008 4 cyl Camry which is driven 90% highway and 10% city due to the nature of his job. And the mild engine vibration due to the design nature of all 4 cyl engines to me is annoying as heck. My 2009 Camry V-6 drive train is quieter, smoother, and more powerful than my wife's 2002 Lexus ES300 (3.0 Liter 220 HP V-6.)

The two problems with the 2007 V-6 - Oil consumption and transmission "flash" between shifts" are solved as follows: There never was an oil burning problem - the crankcase capacity was increased to from 5 to 6.4 quarts in the 2007's because they run hot to meet EPA requirements and many Toyota dealers and Quick Lube shops were only putting in 5 quarts when the oil was changed. Because the oil is so clear and splashes up on the dipstick holder, I can only get a a good read on the oil level when the car has sat level in the garage overnight. Thus far, the oil level has not moved from the "full" marker in over 1,000 miles. The transmission fix was taken care of in a TSB (there was a recall letter for it) and the new ones have the "fix" built into the six speed automatic transmission.

As for premium versus regular gas: here in Kansas City - regular is $3.59 a gallon and premium is $3,79. That's a 5.6% increase in cost that delivers about a 10% increase in gas mileage so it is actually cheaper to run premium fuel than regular.
  • maine2305maine2305 Member Posts: 4
    Mr. Mackabee...since your knowledge of the Camry seems to be vast and respected on here, I wanted to ask your true honest opinion of which car you would buy given the opportunity...a Camry XLE 09 V6 or a 4 cylinder. I am planning on buying one or the other this summer and need some expert advice. Thanks in advance for your help! :) I will mostly be driving in the city, but some longer trips on the interstate will be made as well. Also, I am looking for a nice "plush" type car to last a long time. Besides the obvious horsepower, do you think the V6 drives altogether better than the 4?
    Thank you for the kind words. If given the choice I would take the V6 but in SE trim. Imho this trim level is very underrated by the typical consumer. It drives very nice with the sport tuned suspension which is tuned tight but not so tight that every time you hit a bump you feel it down your spine. The 6spd tranny with the sequential shift mode is a lot of fun. Having said that and your driving mostly city and an occasional trip then I would recommend the 4cyl. Either one would be fine. Just a matter on whether you want to spend the extra money for the 6 cylinder.
    Mack :shades:
  • rajeshdrajeshd Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy Camry 09 LE with auto dimmer rearview mirror as the only additional option. But the dealer told me that the option is not available as part of LE V4 in my area. Checked the toyota website and there also doesn't show that option in my zip code.

Is it true? Does anyone has a Camry LE V4 2009 with auto dimmer in N New Jersey area?
    You can order the car and get the options that are available for Camry LE's even if the local dealers normally don't get those options.
    My local dealer in California, told me I could not get VSC and JBL on an LE in California. The Build Your Toyota website doesn't show that combination in the pre-configured 4 cylinder LEs in my zipcode or any other zipcode I tried in California.

Then I went to another dealer across town and saw more than one of them on the lot with my own eyes despite what the previous dealer said and the website indicates.

Check the sticker. It shows California, and it shows the optional JBL stereo and VSC :

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/rexpix/camry/a.jpg

The photo shows the bluetooth controls on the wheel and also shows the manual non-XLE/non-hybrid a/c controls.
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/rexpix/camry/a-2.jpg

Most Toyota dealers don't want to bother ordering anything other than cars equipped with the regular popular packages of options showing on the website. However, they can order any options that are available for the trim level if they make the effort.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You can get electrochromatic mirrors as dealer add-ons, or do it yourself. Can purchase these mirrors (and better) on the internet.

Have an 07 LE, and dealer put the mirror on, hardly took any time.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    Please read my post #229 on this subject. If you buy one off the lot - and not order it special - at least in the Kansas City area - you can buy the V-6 for the same or less than the underpowered 4 cyl. Your fuel cost will be lower and if you "strike while the iron is hot" you can take advantage of everyone's fear of high gas prices and unfounded perception that the 4 will get better mileage than the V-6. The SE does have a better handling package than the LE or XLE, but the ones in stock generally are equipped with all kinds of "who wants it anyway" options which drive the list price from about $24,600 to $30,000. I paid $300 UNDER dealer invoice for my 2009 LE V-6 because the dealers are trying to cut existing inventory of V-6's. I even got the exact color I wanted (magnetic grey metallic) and get more compliments on the car than any I have ever owned. As for the XLE standard 6 disc CD player versus the LE one CD player - who cares - the LE comes standard with an mp3 player and an ipod plug in so you can have 1000 plus songs at your fingertips. If you don't have an ipod or equivalent, go buy one with the $500 you don't have to pay for the 6 CD Disc player.
    The four cylinder will get better mileage. If you drive mostly highway driving it may not be that much better though.
    It's not as if you can buy the V6 cheaper than a 4 cylinder and the V6 resale will get worse if gas prices keep rising over the next few years like they have been rising over the last few.
    As someone already posted the auto dimming mirror can be installed at the dealer. Also there is no such thing as a Camry LE V4. It's an inline 4 cylinder engine not a V.
    Mack
    :shades:
    The dealer can add some of the options like the auto dimming mirror and alloy rims, but it's much more expensive that if those things were factory installed.
    There is no way you can get a V6 LE for the same price or lower than a similarly equipped 4 banger. Sales are slow and dealers are taking stupid offers right now to move the metal.
    Mack
    :shades:
    Does the 08 CE come with the engine immobilizer key?
    Is it a better deal if you can buy a Certified 09 rather than a "new" 09--you get a longer drivetrain warranty--??
    Yes, my 07 CE does, and the '08 is the same.
    Very interesting information...thank you for the suggestions. So, are you saying the real advantage of having a XLE is the 6-disc changer? To be honest, I hadn't even considered the LE b/c I thought the XLE was the top of the line and was really wanting a new "plush" car. However, if there isn't much difference other than the price, I may consider the LE.
    Thanks for your help. Can you further explain what you mean by "trim?"
    That depends. Where are you going to find an 09 certified at this point? Probably lots of 07 and 08's. The power train warranty and the roadside assistance for the duration of the power train warranty might be worth it to some folks.
    Mack
    There are plenty of advantages of the XLE vs the LE. On the V6 XLE moonroof and leather interior are standard, so are the driver's and passenger power seats. Dual auto climate control, rear reclining seats, rear passenger a/c vents on center console. center pass through, alloy wheels, upgraded JBL stereo system with Bluetooth capability, optional Smart Key entry system with push button start, optional Navigation system w/4disc cd changer. etc.
    Mack
    Wow....sounds like it is a great car. I think I'm going to just test-drive the V6 and 4 cylinder to see which one I like better. Then, I might write down the pros/cons for my situation. Thanks for your input...its really helped!
    You're welcome.
    :)
    I forgot to add the auto dimming mirror and Homelink garage door opener as standard on the XLE.
    Mack
    You may not have noticed but Cadillac has just announced the end of the V8 engine insofar as they are concerned.

No more Cadillacs with V8 engines.....

Why...??

Modern day V6 3L engines easily produce upwards of 300 HP and yield STELLAR FE in comparison to V8 engines of the same HP/torque rating.

Can 300HP 4 cylinder 2L engines be far behind...??

But yes, there is significant level of THRILL involved in having more HP/torque than is reasonably required for everyday use, long distance highway cruising.

And just what is the ratio of "thrill" driving vs just simply getting, boringly, from point A to point B...??

My most common distance driving is either from/to Seattle to Portland or Seattle to Lewistown MT. THRILL..?? No, the clear majority of those drives are spent on cruise control.

THRILL...??

Enough to justify the poor FE of a V6 vs the relatively STELLAR FE of an I4..??

NO, NEVER..!!

Buy the I4 and go find an older, inexpensive, V8 for those times you have the thrill "urge".

Even better, is there a MUCH SAFER RWD I4 passenger car out there in the market..??
  • idown10283idown10283 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the 2009 Camry SE 4 cyl. It came with michelin tires. I had a 2004 SE that came with the Taranza tire, for as much as I drive, they didn't last a year (almost 24000 miles).

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 2008 and 2009 camry? what little signs "give it away" ? Different tail lights, head lights, rim spokes? I can't help but thunk the questionable dealer I purchased my camry from, may have pulled a fast one, but I can't be sure..... Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.

Ivan
    The sticker on the side window would show the year for sure--listing price and equipment etc--other posters here will no doubt explain the little differences--
    The only difference is the VIN#. Your VIN# will have a 9 on the 10th character position of the 17 character VIN. If it's an 08 then you will see an 8 on the 10th position. Other than that it's the same car.
    Mack