Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Another possibility is to wait for Toyota dealer ads coming on Saturday? What city are you in? I have heard stories of buyers flying from Texas to Los Angeles to buy a Camry LE for $17,500, and then drive it back home to Texas happily. In California, I used to see 2009 Camry CE auto going for only $15,999 and LE for $16,999, but not anymore lately. But it's possible these prices can return after January 2009 when the new 2010 Camry hit the showroom floor.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Right on about that 260 rating--checked another LE in town that had Michelin tires rated 440--so if you can get a Camry with Michelins it might be a good thought--I had some Michelins on a 95 Camry and they lasted about 37K----on a 02 Camry I had Bridgestones that lasted about 23K---Thanks
    This is absolutely the perfect time (if you are extremely lucky) right now to buy a 2009 Japanese-made Camry. For 2009, Toyota will only produce less than 5,000 vehicles from Japan (versus 100,000 in 2007), and will be sold only in the west-coast of United States (California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii). This is the lowest amount of Japanese imports since the beginning of 1983. Because Toyota Japan will only need to build 5,000 Camrys for the US market this year, each Camry made will be assembled at a much slower pace than normal, making the build quality and fit-and-finish quality go extremely, ultra-high. I drove home happily with a extremely rare, basic Japanese-made 2009 Camry LE auto with no option. I have never seen a vehicle so well-made and perfect in my entire life. Everything is quiet, no squeaks or rattles, and is similar to a Lexus. I feel like I stole it from the dealer, by not paying more enough, even though the dealer forced me to pay $1,000 more due to its rarity. Most of the Japanese-made Camrys are in higher trim levels, but driving home with the cheapest Japanese-made Camry is impossible to get. The fit-and-finish quality is something I have not seen for more than twenty years from Japan since the 80s. Go test drive and see for yourself (if you live in California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, or Hawaii).

Because only less than 5,000 Made in Japan 2009 Camrys will be produced this year, we probably will not get enough owners to comment their vehicles but me. :)
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    What a great salesman....that is marketing at its' finest..........
  • brendanu1brendanu1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying an '09 Camry with a manual transmission. This will be my first new car (second I owned, the first being a used Saturn SL). I went to the dealer last night and took a test drive. The car had 4 miles on it and was still covered in protective plastic from shipping. When I got back to the dealership after the test drive, there was a burning smell and some smoke coming out from under the hood. Is this just parts wearing in/paint burning off, or should this concern me. The engine also sounded a little rougher than I would expect from a new car. My brother's girlfriend just bought one, and he said when he sits in it he can't tell if the engine is on or not and that this was definitely not as smooth. Is that normal? I'm having a very difficult time deciding on this car or a different sedan.

Thanks for your input.
    Absolutely normal. This smell is coming from the serpentine belt that requires breaking in for the first 100 miles.
    Would this cause the engine vibration as well?
    No, it should not vibrate. Try another car. Do you mean to say that the engine vibrates on idle or steering wheel vibrates on idle? My Japanese-made Camry runs very quiet like a feather. When I test drove two different-made Camrys at the dealer lot, the Japanese-made one runs 5% quieter than the USA-made, although they are almost the same.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    waltchan,

Can you share with us how you measured your car running 5% quieter and 1% faster comparing to American made Camrys? How many American made Camrys did you measure for your comparison? My 2009 LE American made and runs very quiet and reasonably fast for I4.
    ohh lucky, let him go.

If he wants to pay a 1K premium, because his vehicle came down the Japanese assembly line vs. American, and he believes the vehicle is better, quieter, faster, smoother, and worth more on trade in.......don't bust his bubble.

He's rationalized spending the extra bucks. Salesman is still counting his commission.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Wow, a person interested in a manual transmission Camry - I thought I was the only one! My '07 CE manual Camry had, like all new cars, a burning smell, which is just some of the undercoating/paint, etc. burning off. It went away within 50 miles. Just an FYI, the '07 and the '09 are the same engine/tranny.

The engine in my Kentucky built Camry is quiet. If you have a concern about engine noise, just compare it to another Camry on the lot. The Camry's engine does get a little loud when pushed hard and at high RPMs, but it is very quiet at idle and at constant speed on the highway.

I have no regrets with my Camry. Let us know how it goes.
  • bebanbeban Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know who has the best price for Toyota Camry LE in Maryland or surrounding states?
    Thanks for all your input. I'm not quite sure how to describe the vibrating. The steering wheel was not vibrating, but the engine was not the steady hum I expect of a new engine. . . I know thats not much help. I'm relieved that the burning smell is nothing. I don't think the engine is out of place though. I'll definitly post how it goes if I get it. I'll be looking at an Accord and an Altima also tommorow.
    I measured with only four different cars, two Japanese-made and two USA-made, and all are 4-cylinders. 5% quieter means nothing at all and is a very small number. Both are very quiet and 99% of people will not notice any noise difference. On the other hand, I have excellent hearing and eyesight (very talented in this field) and can notice the difference very easily. The Japanese-made Camrys appear to use smoother bearings in their engines. They use Made in Japan Denso motors. The USA-made Camry use Made in USA Denso motors.

There is a white-sticker that shows 75% of parts/components are made in USA or Canada in Japanese-made Camrys. I absolutely totally disagree with what the sticker says. When I looked inside the engine hood, I don't know how many times I saw "Made in Japan" in almost every engine part components, including the AC refrigerant, fan, battery, belt, radiator, gasket, power steering motor, alternator, etc... The USA-made Camry only has two or three parts that are Made in Japan, and everything else is Made in USA or Canada. The seats in my Camry have the sticker underneath printed "Made in Japan", as well as the seat belts, light bulb, carpet, glove compartment, windows (Nippon), front and rear bumpers, and etc. The only part that is not Made in Japan is tires. I think the white-sticker is a joke by Toyota. Most importantly, the new car interior smell is completely different scent between the two. Different scent means different parts manufacturer. My Camry is almost 100% Japan-built (probably 90%). No, I'm not kidding, although I believe many people will disagree with me.

My Camry was made in Toyota's Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City, Aichi, Japan, the same plant were Toyota Prius are made since 2004. The Prius has consitently rated very high in reliability by Consumer Reports since 2004 and scored better than Camry and Corolla. The early Prius wasn't made in the Tsutsumi plant and had more problems.

I'm excited to drive this car everyday. My main reason for buying a Camry is not because Camry is affordable and refined, but it's the most rarest and exotic new vehicle I can find for under $20,000. I originally wanted a Honda Accord, but the rep at Honda headquarter told me that Japanese-made Accords will not end at anytime soon, so I went for a Camry instead because Japanese-made Camrys are getting harder and harder to find every year (excluding hybrids), indicating there will be a final year very soon. Toyota already announced two years ago that they are trying their best to eliminate all Japanese imports after the Subaru Lafayatte, Indiana plant goes into full operation. So far, the Lafayatte plant is only 70% in full operation with the remaining 30% still under construction in their expansion field zone.
    wow, "smoother bearings", that really makes a difference. I'm sure "75% content of US parts" sticker on your Japanese made Camry was installed only to fool customs and didn't account for Japanese air in tires and inside of the cabin. I'm sure Japanese air in your tires makes ride cushier and makes your car to smell better inside . I'm also glad to hear that you consider your Camry to be "the most rarest and exotic new vehicle"... come on ... stop this nonsense.
  • kay23kay23 Member Posts: 5
    My month old Camry makes a strange growling noise when it runs at 60 kms and you're stady on the gas. Almost sounds like the engine is bogging when driving a stick. It goes away as soon as you get off the gas or give it a bit more.
    Anyone have this problem and know what it is?
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    So, right off the bat, Kay, you knew your dealer was a money-grubbing liar, since he told you the extended warranty HAD to be purchased within 30 days......and Toyota told you otherwise!
    How'd THAT make you feel about buying a car from those guys? You still did it? I assume there wasn't another Toyota dealer within a hundred miles? You can purchase almost any car anywhere these days and still have it serviced at your local dealer. (although in THIS case.....why would you go near the liar with a ten-foot pole?)
    Where are you, anyway? I'm curious to see/hear how your new car is working out. Was that you who mentioned grinding while going in to first gear? Is this an automatic we're talking about?
    Regards,
    Michael
    Anyone had the TSB 0069-08 done regarding the vibration problem between 30-45 mph on a 4 cylinder LE when doing minimal acceleration in this range. Did it help rectify the problem?
    What model years does this "anti-vibration" TSB apply to? Some TSBs cover several years, like the 0068-08, for example.
    Also, does anyone have the number for the Canadian equivalent TSB, assuming there IS one?
    Thanks, Scotty.
    yes absolutely...get it done, it takes 1/2 hour and no charge under warranty
    I assume you had it done lately---does it remove that vibration completely? Was there any hassle with the dealer where you had to demonstrate it on the road as mine will only do it in particular circumstance and I do not want to drive it all over the county to try to show them--in other words did they take your word that it happens??? Thanks.
    removes it completely.

I walked in, handed a copy of the TSB (great dealership and working relationship), said I needed that since I had the vibration, done deal.

Schedule an appointment, tell them you have symptoms (that read similar to the TSB). Tell them you were doing some internet research, and found this TSB , which 'may' address the problem.

They'll read the TSB, put your VIN number into the computer to check that it applies to your vehicle, and then do the TSB.

It's really easy.
    Thanks for the info on this situation-- it is appreciated---Is there any way to get this complete TSB on the internet---I saw it on the NHTSA board on Service Bulletins but it just give the basics on what it addressed and it cannot be copied.
    I posted the link for the TSB in one of the Toyota Camry forums in Townhall recently - do a search for it, probably within the last month. I have said many times that this TSB is great, only takes 30 minutes, and makes a huge difference in performance, with no negative affects.
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    Hi,

I did my TSBs' couple of months back and after that my 4 Cyl camry has been very smooth except while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear but i am not used to it.
    But since last 2 weeks i am experiencing little vibration in the accelerator pedal during the speeds of 35 to 45 Miles per hour. Its not the car which is vibrating but i feel little vibration in the pedal.. as it if putting some pressure against my leg.

Has anybody experienced it?
    That is the TSB 0069 -08 we are talking about --right? --not the TSB 0068-08----I know the 0068 addresses the shifting performance and smoothness problem while the 0069 addresses the vibration problem--I only have the vibration problem. Thanks.
    What TSB did you have done--the 0068-08 or the 0069-08? --Thanks for the help.
  • treelycurietreelycurie Member Posts: 1
    The lowest price quote I can get now (Texas,dallas) is $18,799 (after $1000 rebate), dealer added options are:
    Selected Options and Packages
    Code Description Code Description
    FE 50 State Emissions
    CF Carpet Mat Set
    - Carpet Floor Mats
    - Rear Trunk Mat

Does it mean all these options are included in the price?

And how's the price ? do you think it's fair or not?

Thanks !
    I would assume model years 07-08-09 as they are the same transmission--are you having the vibration problem between 30-45 mph range?--the TSB-0069-08 applies to that problem--maybe your Canadian dealer can check it out on his computer some way --do not know if that is any help? Or they can check with the factory rep.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Geez, thats funny as my sister and I had the complete opposite results. Hers was 1.337% slower and .998 noisier plus on two lane roads it kept going to the left side of the road like it was still in Japan.
    You need to check the air pressure in your tires, need to have 35.64 psi ;)
    You need to order some Japanese air to pump up your sister's car tires and keep it in top shape. :sick:
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I'd say this is normal based on how my '05 Camry (with the 4-cylinder and 5-speed automatic) behaves. The engine IS bogging down; this is supposedly done to maximize fuel economy. The solutions are as you stated, to give the car more gas or ease up on the gas. Another is to downshift manually into 4th gear when driving around town at low speeds. Just remember to upshift again to 5th (overdrive) when you go faster.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I personally wouldn't worry about a "little" vibration in the accelerator pedal. I mean even wearing different shoes could affect how this feels.
    There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which fixes this (at least there is one in the US), go see your dealer.
  • cfinkcfink Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased a toyota camry le with fabric in metallic gray. Have not picked it up yet.....the dealer offers a paint and fabric protection . I know how my car looks after 5 years and was wondering if anyone has ever done this........?
    What would you advise? It will cost me $5 more per month on my 1.9% financing.
    Thanks
    Refuse
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    all that does is line the dealers pocket.
    Here's the best advice you will ever get for "protecting" the exterior of your car:
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER take your car through an automated carwash.

If you have time to drive to a carwash, you have time to whip out a hose and HAND wash your car.
    1. Wet it all over and let the dust/dirt soak
    2. Wash with a very diluted solution of mild dish or handsoap from a bucket using a large wool or sheepskin mitt. Rinse each section after soaping. (by section, I mean roof, then hood/trunk, then windows, then doors, then bumpers/rocker panels, then wheels/tires.......in that order, so that your wash water starts with the cleanest sections first and ends up with the dirtiest ones (tires).
    3. Wipe down with a good chamois to prevent water streaking while drying.

There are 'exotic' car cleaning systems, but this method is cheap, fast and easy and will keep your factory finish looking like NEW for 10 years or more. Guaranteed!

For interior, save your money and have it professionally shampooed if/when you sell the car......or when you think YOU want to see a cleaner interior.

Enjoy your new baby!! (I'm envious.....driving my OLD 2007)
    Scotty
    kiawah--For the vibration problem on the LE 4 cylinder between 30-45 mph, did you have the dealer do the TSB 0068 or the TSB 0069??--. I know on this board we are mainly referring to the TSB-0068 and its relation to enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, so I want to get this correct. The TSB-0069 relates to the vibration problem Thanks for the info.
    I gave them both the numbers.

Unless your dealership is some very very small low volume dealership, they'll know exactly what to do. Just indicate you are having the apparent engine lugging and vibration problem at about 35-45 mph, give them the TSB numbers you found on the internet, and they'll take the car back and do magic.

You'll have it back in 1/2 hour, running like a champ.
    I do live around a low volume dealer--they said they did one TSB so far- - they did not know much about what I was referring to---I will try a larger dealer farther away. Thanks for the input.
    "are you having the vibration problem between 30-45 mph range?--the TSB-0069-08 applies to that problem"

I gotta admit, I'm so busy enjoying the newly found level of non-hesitating, non-lurching, non-gearhunting......that I've become temporarily immune to any other fault the car might have. (except for that rumbling/grumbling noise I hear from somewhere 'down below' that sounds like a wheelbearing or CV joint...do Camrys even HAVE CVjoints?)

My dealer is not in a mood to cooperate with me on ANY TSB now since I ragged him out over the 2650 (Can. version of 068-08). I wrote the owner after being treated like dirt by the service coordinator and service manager. The owner emailed me back and said "many customers spend time on the Internet and come in with their problems PREDETERMINED"...........yes, and your point is?

That was his excuse for the service dept being jerks when I had to teach THEM about the existence of a TSB for hesitation and rough shifting. Shheeeshh!!
    They'll get over it. You got your car running great, that's what's important
  • oka1jegoka1jeg Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 09 Camry SE on Saturday, and I noticed it pulls to the left slightly when driving it yesterday. I found this problem on an old TSB (02-07) but has anyone else experienced this with a newer model?
    I've read over the years that this is a somewhat common problem with all makes and models of new cars, due to the transporting of the cars from the factory to the dealer. I'd just take it to your dealer and they will take car of it with an alignment free of charge. Forgot, even before that, check your tire pressure (all 4 tires).
  • oka1jegoka1jeg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.
    Any info if other vehicle manufacturers are having the same type of issues with their transmissions relating to these new electronic or computer systems? Thanks.
    This is really not a big deal, this is a software change. Being in the software business myself, this is effectively like a configuration setting change. .....or....maybe another analogy is you adjusting the water heater temperature. Your water heater comes from the factory preset with a temperature configuration. It's too hot, or too cold for your family liking, you adjust the heater.

In the 4 cylinder's case, the vehicle would get into too high of a gear and lock up the torque converter, and then when you coast down your speed....and then again you would give it a little gas to try to speed back up the engine was lugging. Much the same if you were driving a manual shift transmission and had it in too high a gear.

In my case when we used to have the problem, I personally never noticed it until I rode with my daughter driving. She is a much more conservative and slower driver than I. I noticed it with her driving, but not with me. I just would give it more gas as needed, engine would downshift the transmission and vehicle would speed up. I'm sure this is why some people notice the problem, and others don't....it really depends on your driving style.

Anyhow, the TSB tweaks the shift points a little, car runs great no matter whether I drive it, or my daughter.
  • ronshironshi Member Posts: 2
    I want to lease a LXE 09 Camry with leather, The MSRP quoted by the dealer is $27,800. I live in Los Angeles. Does anyone know what the best monthly payment after tax is on this deal if the lease is 36 months. Lets assume its for 12K miles/year. I would really appreciate some feedback And if you know of a formula where I can calculate the best possible payment that would be really helpful.

Thanks