Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Corollas went to a timing chain starting with model year 1998.
  • blazers78blazers78 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the (!) symbol is on the 2009 Camry? It blinks and beeps.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Are you talking about the brake light symbol?

Check your owners manual.....if it's the brake light symbol you reference, it says that if your parking brake is off.....stop vehicle immediately and contact Toyota. That one?
    Looks like a round brake rotor, with symbol in the middle. Warns you of a brake problem.

Or are you talking about the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring symbol)? Looks like a cut slice of a tire, with symbol in the middle. Warns you of a tire with low pressure or going flat.

They both have the exclamation sign in them.
  • nancygayenancygaye Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2009 Toyota Camry 17 months. I drive alot and have taken lots of trips to North Carolina, Texas, Lousiana, etc. so I am already up to 39,000 miles. So, this weekend I notice that my AC isn't cooling. I take it to the dealer today and they tell me my air compressor is out. Thankfully I bought the extended warrantly when I purchased the car so it is covered. Apparently the standard warranty is only good for 36,000 miles. The total bill is going to be like $2,300. I told the service guy that I would have been so incredibly upset had I not bought that extended warranty. I had a Corolla several years ago and never had one problem the 3 years that I had it. Nothing. I am really disappointed. If not for that extended warranty I would be stuck with new car with no AC. It is too hot in Arkansas not to have a car AC. I know this isn't normal but has anyone heard any problems like this with the 09s? I expect more from Toyota. Thanks.
    I have a 2007 (same as 2009). I have not had any problems, and I have not read of any problems with compressors failing in unusually big numbers. If I did read that there was a problem, I'd be buying an extended warranty right now! Please call Toyota (the 800 number to Toyota corporate) and nicely explain your problem, noting that you are just over the miles, you've owned Toyotas before, etc. There is a chance you could get this covered or partly covered, because you are just over the 36,000 miles.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    There is a chance you could get this covered or partly covered, because you are just over the 36,000 miles.

Well, it's covered under the extended warranty. So, I think talking to toyota is a waste of time.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I expect more from Toyota.

The concept of Toyota's invincibility is nothing more than a myth.

Read the Toyota in Decline in 2009 board on Edmunds:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efda853/3007
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No car is invincible, but Toyotas, Hondas, and now Fords have better overall reliability than the rest.

Still have your Impala and how's it doing?
    The Impala SS is wonderful: trouble-free, quiet, has a superb sound system and never fails to put a wide grin on my face when I engage that fabulous V-8 displacement-on-demand engine with its throaty growl! I'm getting 26 miles to the gallon on the highway at 70 mph. It is one of the best cars I have ever had (and I've had a few!).

And as far as Toyota goes, I wouldn't exactly say it is in good shape in any respect. Neither does its CEO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/business/global/03toyota.html?_r=1&em
    Oh, sorry, I missed the part about you having the extended warranty.
  • cmor1701dcmor1701d Member Posts: 4
    I have an ’09 XLE. For the past few months the panic alarm has gone off while the car is parked. This is a totally random event that normally occurs at night. Yesterday it happened three time in the office lot while I was in a meeting in another building. Then when I got home it happened two more times.
    I found that this may have been an in issue in 2007, and that replacing the hood latch and sensor fixed the problem. When I called a local dealer about it I was told to bring it in and they would check the electrical system. When I mentioned the hood latch/sensor the rep said “Oh yea, I remember something like that”. I asked them to order the parts so this could be done in one visit and he refused.
    He said that if they didn’t find another reason they would then order the hood latch and sensor and I could come back a few days later. Is it unreasonable for me to expect them to pre-order the parts?
    Well it COULD maybe need a hood switch, but it COULD maybe be a number of other problems as well. It might not need any parts, an adjustment, cleaning some connectors, or maybe it's a door switch, etc.

So as much as I hate having to go (and then go back) to the dealership for repairs or parts, I could see where they wouldn't need or want to go buy some part that may end up sitting on their parts shelf.
  • jaggerjagger Member Posts: 8
    My '09 Camry panic alarm also went off for no reason and wouldn't shut off when panic button depressed. Also, keyless entry malfunctioned constantly, even Toyota dealership couldn't get it to work, often had to leave my car unlocked overnight because it wouldn't lock. Entire keyless entry system was disconnected. I'm back to using my key to lock/unlock my car.
    You say you have a CE (which is really called the base model after 2007)? If you have the base version (used to be called CE), then the car did not come from the factory with an alarm or keyless entry, so whoever added the alarm and keyless screwed up. I'd go back to them to make it right.
  • nancygayenancygaye Member Posts: 3
    Okay. I Paid the $100 deductible and got my car back. AC is working great. I am somewhat jaded from the experience but thank God for the extended warranty.

Thanks for all the replies.

Question: Do you guys get all the recommended services like 15,000, 30,000, etc.?
    Only what is listed in the your owner's manual. DON'T get the dealerships' 15, 30, 45 maintenance "specials", - they are rip-offs. Personally, I do my oil changes, engine and cabin air filter changes, because they are really easy for me to do, save time and money. I do the inspections myself, and I bet I am better than the dealer in most cases, because I take the time to actually look carefully. Even if you have zero mechanical knowledge, please do the cabin air filter change yourself. The instructions are listed in the owner's manual, and it takes 5 minutes and costs only $15 (cost of the air filter). I have tire rotations done at my tire place (cheaper than Toyota dealer), because it is too much time to do this myself, and I have no lift or large jack. I do check the wheel nut torques after they are done.
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    Hi,

I am going on a vacation and would have to leave my car at a parking space near airport for almost a month. I have a 09 camry with around 15K miles.

Is leaving a car for a month harmful for the tires/battery or the engine?

Can anyone please let me know if it is ok to leave the car for such a long time?
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi, santoc.
    I wouldn't worry about the mechanical aspects of letting the car sit for 30 days or so. You MAY want to change the oil (if it hasn't just been changed) prior to departing so that at least you've got nice clean stuff coating your cylinder walls and on your bearing surfaces, rather than old acidic crap.
    Battery? Not likely a problem. But I always have a pair of jumper cables in the trunk anyway; it's amazing how often SOMEONE needs them. (It's great saving your own butt.....even better when you can be someone else's hero!)
    Lastly, depending on the environment of the place you'll be parking, you may want to consider two other things: a) the option of putting a cover on your car.....they're relatively inexpensive and will protect against prying eyes, bird crap, acid rain, etc......or, b) at least doing a good wash and wax job to your baby before leaving her out in the elements for a month.
    Have a good trip........and don't worry about Bessy! She'll be fine.
    Mike
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    Your advice is correct especially about the oil. Anything longer than three months storage should add fuel stabalizer - available at any autozone or similar store for about $5.

For a 2009 not applicable but - for others: If the battery is OEM and the car is over 4 years old; replacing the battery prior to trip would be smart since the clock, engine imobilizer warning light, etc. will drain the battery.

I was going to say to always carry jumper cables in the trunk but you beat me to it !!

Also; make sure tire pressure is at least 32 ppsi before it is parked.
  • jaggerjagger Member Posts: 8
    Bike shop strap-to-trunk-style bike racks don't fit my 09 Camry even tho data at shops say they should. Hitch data says I must use a 1 1/4" receiver. I need a 2" for my existing bike rack that I used on my now-sold 4-Runner. 2" adaptors can be added to the 1 1/4" hitch but I get differing opinions, saying they stick out over a foot throwing off the weight balance on the car and are bad choices. One car shop said he could install a Class 2 type because I'm not towing anything, only carrying about 60 pounds of bikes and rack, but has never put one on a new Camry before. I have new bikes with no way to take them anyplace! Would appreciate your suggestions. Sure don't want to have to buy another bike rack when I have a great one in the garage.
  • cmor1701dcmor1701d Member Posts: 4
    I got a Curt hitch from THe Hitch Store http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-ii-receiver-hitch-p-621.html

It comes with a 2" sleeve to fit over the 1-1/4, I dont need the 2", but I did put it on once to see the difference. Not that much longer. I doubt the weight balance will be thrown off by 2 bikes and the hitch adapter.

BTW, the Curtis is a straight bolt on. They even have a video on the site to show you exactly how to do it. I had mine installee at a PetBoys shop for $50.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    I am looking at a used 02 Corolla 4 cylinder--to check the transmission fluid level I was told that the vehicle must be in "Drive" mode with the emergency brake engaged of course. Is that correct? Thanks.
    I don't have an '02 maintenance manual, but have an '04. The '04 Corolla says to check it while it is in Park.

"Park" check is pretty much consistent with every other vehicle I've owned, so not sure where the "Drive" came from.
    Thanks for the input---if anyone else has more info pass it along--somewhere in my mind I heard about that "Drive" thing. I will check on Monday with a dealer as they are now closed. Checking in drive could pose a danger I am sure.
    It is kind of immaterial isn't it? If you are looking to buy a used vehicle, you should have an independent mechanic check it over BEFORE you purchase it. Spend $100 or so, it may highlight some problems that you would not be aware of.

Buying used vehicles.....let the buyer beware. You buy it, you own it, problems and all.
    Checking it while in DRIVE certainly turns it into at least a two man job (or, one man plus a damn good emergency brake!).

But, as kiawah says, why not get a good shop to do it and have them check everything else at the same time.

Happy hunting!
    Agree on buyer beware--I have not bought anything yet--I guess I was just curious if anyone here ever heard of checking transmission fluid while in "Drive". I did have a mechanic check it out while the car was in "Park" mode and he said the transmission fluid was low and he could see no leaks and everything else on the car was good in good shape. He said sometimes transmission fluid sometimes goes down due to the heat created, vaporizes, etc. and so on., but from I read a transmission should not "use" or "burn" fluid. Maybe a trip to a transmission shop is in order? If it needs seals is that an expensive job? Thanks .
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My procedure is to get the engine and transmission well up into operating temperature range, shift the transmission from drive to reverse several times waiting in each position long enough to feel the drive train "torque up". Then check the ATF level with the transmission in PARK.

The ATF should be reasonably clear/transparent, not smell burned and have a pink tint.
    Thanks for the info--I guess that is where I heard about putting in in "DRIVE" to check the ATF.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    According to posts 1, 37, and others in this forum, the 09 Camry hit dealer showrooms January 21, 2008, All North American built vehicles some Japan built 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 engine (Avalon, Camry, Rav4, Highlander & Sienna) manufactured prior to April 2008 have a design defect that routes hot engine oil under high pressure through a rubber hose that can leak or rupture causing extensive engine damage.or complete engine failure. Over 1.5 million vehicles are affected. Toyota.USA sent "campaign letters" to only about 10% of affected vehicles and did not include the Camry but its 26 page bulletin to dealers said they are "still investigating" applicability to other vehicles. Toyota Canada sent the letter to 100% of affected vehicles including the 07-09 Camry. Toyota issued no press release and did not call it a recall - apparently because of the embarrassment the Sept 2009 3.8 million vehicle recall of the floor mats caused.

The problem is summarized at the website at this link

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

which includes links to a YouTube video of the problem, side by side comparison of the defective part and the correct fix with the all metal oil line which was placed in vehicles beginning sometime in April, 2008, copies of USA and Canadian "campaigns" and more.

I have an 09 LE V6 build date 02/08 which I bought on the cheap 04/08 at Molle Toyota, KCMO. The car is flawless - no repairs; three oil changes, wiper blade inserts and a change out of the el cheapo 16 inch plastic hubcaps and 215/60/16 Bridgestone tires with 17" Avalon Limited 9 spoke wheels and Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55/17 tires (same size as the Camry SE). I plan on driving the car "till the wheels fall off" so I am gladly paying Molle $275 to install the correct all metal oil line because I don't want a seized engine before Toyota USA makes up its mind what to do or is forced to make a recall..
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    you forgot the most important part. if you are worried about the battery, park the car nose out so you don't have to push it out of the parking space, if it needs a jump.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I did as you prescribed and only found a very,very small amount of fluid on the end of the dipstick. That threw up a red flag. Thank you for the pertinent information.
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    I bought a 2009 Camry XLE top off the line with leather seats in May 2009, it is now Nov 2009 and the thread in the driver's seat is coming out, took it to the dealer and they said that Toyota would not repair it. The dealer said sorry.. I read the first page of their 2009 Camry warranty manual..."At Toyota, our top priority is always our customers.....That's why we're dedicated to building products of the highest quality and reliability...Our excellent warranty coverage is evidence that we stand behind the quality of our vehicles." This sounds to me as a breach of contract and false advertisement. Must have drank from the same fountain as the American car markers....
    You should have bought a new Chevy Impala or Malibu. Much better quality these days. I have a 2006 Impala SS and the leather seats are fine as is the rest of the car. Toyota is on the decline.

There is a whole thread about it on Edmunds:

scott1256, "Toyota in decline in 2009?" #1, 2 Dec 2005 5:56 am
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Are you sure, certain sure, that your leather seats aren't dealer aftermarket..??
    The Camry XLE V6 has standard leather seats.
    I'd try another dealer assuming the seats are factory installed as is true for the XLE V6. The only reason I can think of them for denying a warranty claim is if some object in your pocket got caught on the thread and pulled it out -- same as if you accidentally scratched the exterior paint.
    Only one problem....it went to the Toyota regional office in Baltimore MD, the thread is coming apart where they tied it off at the end of seam....as I said, it is a manufacture's defect or should I say, lack of quality...
    Filled out the National Center for Dispute Settlement as Toyota says you must do before using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which allows you to sue for failure to back warranty repairs and associated legal fees.....I would not expect this from a used car company but not "Toyota"......what is going on.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I think a lot of people are finally waking up to the hipe of Toyota quality. I believe that Toyota is finding itself where G.M. used to be in the early 80's. They built so many cars/trucks that they just couldn't keep up with the quality as the demand was so high that they went out the door with the hope that the dealer would be the final quality inspector before they reached the customer. Toyota sells more cars than their staff can manage so they just automatically deny warranty claims hoping you will go away. I can say one thing from experience is G.M. has always been quite liberal on their warranties and I have even had them in one case pay $1200 of a $1600 claim on a problem that was no way their fault because I called customer service and explained about the problem and how I have bought many G.M. cars in the past and had all maintainance done on vehicle way before it was needed and in some cases even though it was not even supposed to be needed and they called dealer and took care of most of the bill. What it was is the shifter was built into the top of the tranny and due to me not using vehicle enough and sitting for 2 winters with no use the shifter links didn't get lubbed because the tranny wasn't being used so no lub was spashed up to the linkage and it rusted so wouldn't shift into reverse. Being a 4 wheel drive it costs more to work on too. Parts were less than $50 and rest was labor. Anyway I too feel you should get the repair done for free. What it will cost to repair, most likely less than $100 will most likely cost them a customer forever if you have to pay for it.
    The funny thing is when I initially pointed it out to the dealer they said that they might have to replace the entire front seat, but they had to get the blessing from Toyota regional as to what should be done, leaving me with the impression it would be fixed. The dealer came back with Toyota's response, Toyota was not going to repair the seat because the seat should be held together with the internal threads of the seat.The dealer then said, if the leather seat cover came totally apart,the dealer "might" fix it later...This to me is unbelievable from a major corporation that says, "our top priority is always our customers. If I was the boss, some heads would be rolling at Toyota, ....I'm having to jump through hoops to get my car fixed as the warranty says it should be.....
    If you were the boss you would not have to jump through hoops as they'd have fixed if for ya. I'd make up a couple of signs that say Toyota and XXX dealer doesn't stand behind their products and stop by the dealer and ask them what they think.
    The dealer went to bat for me again and Toyota said they would repair the seat, so it time to try the Dispute Resolution route.... It is crazy that they want to go down this path even though they can right it off on their taxes....if this fails, then its off to our court system using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.......Isn't this how the American car makers started to fail.....
    Your first sentance is very confusing. You say dealer went to bat and Toyota said they would repair it. Then later you say they won't. Anyhow from what you said I find it hard to believe that the repair will cost more than $100 in a aftermarket repair shop. I'd be surprised if it is more than $50. Have you checked anywhere. My point, a half way decent dealer would have it fixed and write it off as a good well gesture to keep a good customer. I'm betting a big sign saying Toyota cheats their customers on it in big black letters and 15 min. out front of the dealership will get it fixed in a minute. I did this once at a Chevy dealer when they shorted out my aftermarket radio and wanted me to wait 6 to 8 weeks while they tried to get it repaired on a 3 day old truck. It took all of about 10 min. before the Sales Manager was out there with checkbook in hand. You have nothing to lose and may as well P.O. the dealer since he isn't any help. :shades:
    The dealer went to bat for me again and Toyota said they would NOT repair the seat, so it time to try the Dispute Resolution route.... It is crazy that they want to go down this path even though they can right it off on their taxes....if this fails, then its off to our court system using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.......Isn't this how the American car makers started to fail.....
    This is really strange that they wouldn't replace it, since a leather seat is not all that expensive. You can get replacement leathers on the net. Can you post a picture so we can see the damage, I'm wondering if they see very abnormal wear from you somehow.
    I thought it was just a thread coming undone which can be fixed in just a few minutes by a good seat repair place. Chances are he won't even need to pull the cover or seat. They used curved needles and will sew it up so it won't even show. Before starting all the headaches why don't you at least stop at a place and see what they will charge to fix it. Better yet ask your dealer/steeler who he uses.
    The thread is coming out on the side portion of the seat towards the back seat where the stitching is terminated. Looks like they didn't tie it off properly. The Toyota Rep told the dealer that the internal theads will hold the seat cover together so it wouldn't be covered. I bet if this was their Lexus brand they would fix it.....
    How important is is it to use a Toyota filter with an oil change? Is the Toyota filter "different" from other after market filters? I believe quick lube places just use a generic filter.
    I've always used Fram in my Camrys with no dire consequences. I'm sure the dealer would love to have you believe that the Toyota part is twice as good, but, it's probably just twice the price.......and EXACTLY the same quality. Think about it: how much crap can be coming out in/of your oil, anyway? If you're changing your oil with good frequency, it's not a subject to worry about.