Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Enclave Options

chaptertwochaptertwo Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Buick
I have decided to get a Buick Enclave but am very confused about the options. I hope you all will be kind to a novice at both car buying and technology developments.

I've noticed that quite a few people get both the driver confidence and the luxury package. What are the best features of each and why would I want them - esp. do I need both parking assist and rearview camera? Also, I've never used a navigation device before - is the Enclave's a good one and do I still need it with the On Star? Can my kids plug their ipods in and we hear the music throughout the car without ordering any option or does that only come with one of the entertainment packages? Are there different options with the headlights? Some people seem to mention some special quality of certain headlights, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. Help please!

Comments

• hondafordhondaford Member Posts: 51
    I've noticed that quite a few people get both the driver confidence and the luxury package.
    1. What are the best features of each and why would I want them - esp. do I need both parking assist and rearview camera? 2. Also, I've never used a navigation device before - is the Enclave's a good one and do I still need it with the On Star?
    3. Can my kids plug their ipods in and we hear the music throughout the car without ordering any option or does that only come with one of the entertainment packages?
    4. Are there different options with the headlights? Some people seem to mention some special quality of certain headlights, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. Help please!

Hello
    I am a 10-day veteran enclave owner. BUT I am a 6 month Enclave investigator.
    1. I have the luxury package because it included the power tilt/telescope steering wheel in the seat memory package. My wife and I (seniors with arthritis and lower back problems) set the seat at drastically different positions, and it flat hurts if I get in when she has been driving. we travel a lot and switch drivers a lot. The "aimed headlights a real blessing if you drive a lot of curly roads. jI could not see any advantage to the drivers confidence package unless you live in an area where the heated WW fluid would be a prime advantage, as would the remote start due to inclement weather. We live in a very mild climate and have no need of them. I have not used the back up "ping" with the confidence package, but find the back up camera great.

2. This is my second car with the nav. It gives the advantage (to us) of being able to "shop" motels where we expect to be stopping in a few hours. Onstar will give directions but not provide a list of motels near, say Podunk Junction, Arkansas.
    I do not like this nav compared to my last one in my Honda for one reason: the buick does not let me input addresses while driving. I understand the safety factor, but apparently GM is not aware that the passenger does not need to watch the road. The enclave can, however let you select a previous destination or stored address on the go. So, a little more planning ahead will overcome this problem. There are also aftermarket devices that override this safety feature.

3. The audio system has an option of selecting input from "aux." there is a 1/8" plug to input an ipod, mp3 player, computer or whatever.

4. The only headlight option I know about is the "aimed" headlight witht the lux package. All enclave come with HID headlight that are poptional on the other Lambdas.

Bottom line. I am happy with my enclave. It replace an 05 Pilot EXL with nav that I was completely satisfied with except my wife could not handle the ride on a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG trip. The enclave is also MUCH quieter on the road.
    Sorry for the verboseness. Hope this helps
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    The headlight option is included in one of the packages. It provides steering headlights...meaning that it comes with Xenon HID lights but the side to side I think comes with the package...luxury or drivers confidence (one of these...I think luxury pkg).
  • robert52robert52 Member Posts: 27
    Obviously the uppity name for running boards. I have seen a few pictures of the Enclave with the "body color assist steps". i have checked with several local dealers and they want between $800-$900 to add them now. Has anybody added them since the got their car? What did you pay? The cheapest I can find them to purchase on the internet is around $736 with freight.
  • aaplsueaaplsue Member Posts: 37
    Did anyone get the side molding put on to avoid door dings? I just wanted to know if they really do work and how much they cost or where to buy them.
    I did get the side assist. steps from the dealer and I love the way it looks but they were a bit pricey. $$
  • mickicdmickicd Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know if there is a 2nd row console available now?
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    There is a second row console available on the 09 model.
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    Not looking to buy for a while and didn't see this info online. I'm just not in the mood to deal with a salesman at this point so I'll ask here.

1. What type of gas does the Enclave use?
    (sidenote: I also like the Acura MDX, but the premium gas may be a deal breaker.)

2. Does the Enclave have a Bluetooth option?
    (I have this on my current vehicle and it's very appealing...in my opinion should be standard on ALL vehicles as a safety option)
  • mzilismzilis Member Posts: 3
    The Enclave uses 87 octane gas. If you tow often, the manual recommends 89.

There is (disappointingly) no Bluetooth option for the Enclave. I wonder if the OnStar system is the reason they don't offer it? Using Bluetooth with your own cell phone would make the phone call capabilities of OnStar largely unnecessary.

-Mike
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Bluetooth is available on the 09's and I think it is in fact, standard equipment.
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the info mzilis and zman3!!!
  • ejerry96ejerry96 Member Posts: 1
    Confused that GM would let the Traverse come out with Air conditioned driver and front passenger seats but not the buick? In my eyes the Chevy would be the lowest grade brand out of the group. Also I noticed that the Traverse's entertainment package will have two 7" monitors in the back of the driver and front passenger headrests. (I still have not made up my mind which would be better one screen in the middle of two.)
    Confused that GM would let the Traverse come out with Air conditioned driver and front passenger seats but not the buick?

You would be mistaken about that. Buick WILL have the cooled seats as an option, just like the Traverse and all the other lambdas. GM just hasn't updated their website with 2009 options yet.

Also I noticed that the Traverse's entertainment package will have two 7" monitors in the back of the driver and front passenger headrests.

You can actually get this as a dealer installed option with the buick. If the dealer installs it then it is covered under factory warranty.

Get the Buick, it is better in nearly EVERY way ESPECIALLY in fit and finish, and all of the little things that you will appreciate every day. I just drove an Enclave and it is SO much better.
  • nymomnymom Member Posts: 17
    I am getting a '08 Enclave CX AWD tommorrow and was not able to find one with seating for 8 with a DVD player and am considering getting the dual headrest system installed by my dealer.
    Anyone who might have one i would love to hear how you like it and how your kids if you have them like it. I have three and thought that they might like the dual screens better. Also if you want to listen to the movie over the radio is that an option? Also was told that you can have two different movies playing, is that true. Also can you have the same movie playing on both. Thanks in advance
    I don't have the Encalve yet, but I think I can answer some of your questions having researched this quite a bit.

I have three and thought that they might like the dual screens better.

Dual screens are nice for people in the second row. They are a little more hassle for those in the third row as you have to look around the second row seats.

Also if you want to listen to the movie over the radio is that an option?

You CAN do this through an FM transmitter. This in my opinion is a down side of the headrest system, it is an add on and isn't directly integrated into the audio system of the Enclave. This becomes a problem where the FM bands are crowded in the low frequencies. Headphones are a better option.

Also was told that you can have two different movies playing, is that true.

This is true IF you have the right Invision system installed (the one with two DVDs). You'll want to confim this with your dealer BEFORE they install.

Also can you have the same movie playing on both.

Yes, with the dual DVD setup you can play either different movies on each screen, OR you can play one movie on both screens. Nice flexability there and a real plus for the dual headrest system. Really, this is the main reason to look at this system.

Hope this helps - good luck.
  • nymomnymom Member Posts: 17
    Thank you for the information. I was hoping that the system would play through the cars audio system not the FM radio. Dealer thought that it would play through the audio.
    They are installing one in another car this week so I think i will take a look at it before i decide.
    I think that i will go with a lower cost unit from Circuit City or Best Buy if the dual headrest one also plays though and Fm transmitter. I will be able to save some money.
    Thanks again for your repsonse
    You're welcome. This vehicle has become somewhat of my personal obsession over the past few months, most of what I've found out has been good, but some bits are down sides, such as the FM transmitter and the headrest DVD units. I suppose that a true integration would be cost prohibitive - that would be my guess.
This discussion has been closed.