Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Speedometer

2»

Comments

• panther35panther35 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon and I think I have be through the worst. First of all let me start by saying I have purchased 8 yes I said 8 ( 2 of them being brand new Yuokon Denali from the factory)vehicles from the same salesman at the same dealership. When I got my 2004 Yukon I purchased an extended warranty. All the sudden one day my transmission goes out completly. So I take it in ( by tow truck) and miracously my warranty expired less than 1,000 miles ago. So I have to pay $2,600 for a new one. When I go to pick up my Yukon, I get in and the battery is dead, They say that this is just a coincidence and they give me a jump and I go to the local auto shop and buy a new battery. On my way home I notice that the speedometer is skipping (jumping) every 2-3 miles per hour. So I call back the dealership and they again say that it is a coincidence and want to charge me $550 to fix it. I ask them if they messed with my speedometer cable and they say no. I then asked if they had to undo the cable to replace the transmission and they say yes but they didn't do anything to hurt the cable. Now the speedometer wont move at all. Needless to say it is not fixed. Haven't completly decided how I feel about this. I really like the GMC Yukons just don't know if I can forget how I have been treated by a GMC dealer.
  • frank310frank310 Member Posts: 47
    I'm having the same issue, Speedometer stuck on 60mph when standing still or even when its off, goes past 120mph when on the highway. Last 8 digits of my vin are 5J114549. Mileage 80,025.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello frank310,
    We're sorry that you too are having difficulties with your speedometer. If we can check into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

I got an eamil from Christina on 10/18 with a case number. Just waiting to hear back.

Thanks
    Frank
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hi Frank,

Thank you for getting in touch with us; there have been some changes in our department since then and if you haven't already, you should be contacted soon by a new agent. Let me know if you don't hear from anybody, as I'm anticipating some miscommunications in this transition.

• cheriln564cheriln564 Member Posts: 5
    How do you find out if there is a recall on your 2004 Yukon if you bought it used? Thanks!
  • robbmugrobbmug Member Posts: 1
    I too am experiencing issues with the speedometer in our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 XLT. We first experienced it a couple years ago pulling our travel trailer. It happens only intermittently, but I am very concerned now that our daughter is old enough to drive and I don’t want her causing an accident if she reacts to a grossly inaccurate speedometer gauge (e.g moving @ 55MPH but gauge is @ 85MPH). Looking now to see what it will take to fix it, I can’t believe the number of GMC owners experiencing this same issue. Regardless if this is a formal recall or not (though it should be), why hadn’t we been notified of the issue and the resolution path? I don’t recall ever receiving a notification via our monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic report, email, nor snail mail. We purchased the vehicle new and GM has all our contact information. I look to GM to do the right thing and resolve this serious safety hazard ASAP.

Thank you for this forum...
  • rms519rms519 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my 2004 GMC Yukon. For a while my gear lights were very dim, then the gauges would either stop working or get stuck, finally every gauge died out and no longer come on. I brought it to my mechanic and he said that I need a whole new Instrument Cluster as he could not get it to come on and stay on. My husband ended up calling GM and was told that this was not a recall, but rather a "Safety Bulletin." The rep also admitted that they look a bit like an advertisement rather than a Safety Notice. I never recall receiving one even though we are the original owners of the vehicle. I can't believe that GM would admit that there is a faulty part in a vehicle by issuing a safety bulletin yet put a limit on when it can be replaced, 7 years or 75,000 miles in this case. Well, my vehicle has 120,000 miles on it so it looks like I'm out of luck according to GM. This is extremely disappointing as trying to order the part has proved to be a hassle. The part itself is about $200 then they want a $300 core charge until you return the old cluster. I was hoping GM would make good on the issue and am still holding out hope for this American company. I hope that someone responds and makes this right for all of us. I don't know how much longer I can wait and drive around with a non-functioning dash. Please take the time to respond GM Customer Service. Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning robbmug,
    We can check your VIN to see if there are any open recalls on it; please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN, mileage, and a summary of the condition you're concerned with.

• elisacaganelisacagan Member Posts: 4
    SARAH IS THERE NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE IN REGUARD TO A WAVE PLATE GOING OUT ONLY A FEW MONTHS AFTER MY POWER TRAIN WARRANTY IS VOID? I AM STILL UNDER ON MILES, HOWEVER IT WAS PURCHASED IN 2007 AND IS A 2008 ACADIA. THIS IS VERY UPSETTING. IVE ONLY HAD THIS VEHICLE NOT EVEN A FULL YEAR.
  • dothedoodothedoo Member Posts: 3
    I went from a 99 Chevy Suburban to a 2003 Yukon and it's funny the similarities are on issues. The Burb lost most of it's illumination before I trade it in but I have a bad vibration in the rear when towing, but never felt the vibration under regular driving.
    Now for the 2003 Yukon. Mirrors do not adjust anymore, they will fold in and out but that is it, Passenger mirror does not defrost nor dim at night. Driver side does defrost and dim. Driver seat heat stopped working. Driver seat controls for fwd and back now work in reverse. So, to move the seat forward, you have the push the power seat button back etc.
    I see there is a recall on my cluster because my gear selector and Tachometer do not light up. My Speedometer works 75% of the time. I use a Garmin GPS to monitor the correct speed.
    Last week I had the transfer case rebuilt (pump vibrated a hole through the rear casing which is know for 2001-2006 trucks and SUVs. Trucks show even has a video out showing how the problems occurs and GM, that is why the 2007 transfer case was redesigned... I also had the rear u-joints on the axle replaced do to vibration coming from the rear. Then I had the rear axle balance. I towed a boat today (3500-4000 lbs) which is the first real load since the transfer case, u-joints and axle were fixed and the truck vibrates like crazy from 35 mph up to 70 mph. I had the trailer/tow on and off to test and I was in 2 wheel drive. This is the same vibration I had on the 99' Suburban. I have 150,000 miles on the Yukon and we do not beat on this vehicle. We use to tow boats, snowmobiles and our 3 kids and 2 dogs. But why so many problems? Seriously? Any input on the mirror issues, the driver seat heater and/or severe vibration under load? We took a ride tonight with the whole family inside and the vibration is not there....I am really stump, do I have a lemon? :lemon:
  • conduct0rconduct0r Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have this same issue, but I took the "Out-of-the-box" approach to fix this problem. I own a small 7" Android Tablet (Archos 70 Internet Tablet). I found the app "TORQUE" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en) on the Android market. I also purchased a cheap OBDII Bluetooth adapter (http://compare.ebay.com/like/200827253317?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va- r=sbar). For around $45, I was able to replace my entire dashboard with my tablet. I have not only gotten more information on my new cluster, but I can also read any engine errors and all diagnostic codes. I can also see my efficiency and engine stats in real time.
  • dothedoodothedoo Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. This will be a huge help since I just found out the recall for the cluster when the gear selector is not showing expired 2010. Nice, does that mean that all vehicles that currently have this problem, that are on the road, are now considered safe? I just cannot figure the logic when there is a recall GM make Zero effort to contact current owners since I have had this vehicle since 2005. We received notices when we use to own a Toyota 4 Runner.
  • jpacunasjpacunas Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a question regarding my stuck speedometer. If my speedometer is stuck at different places at different times, is there a recall or warranty to get this fixed by GMC if I bought the Yukon used?

Note: I have had past issues with the transmission and battery and had to replace both, costing me $3,000.

Please help me!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jpacunas,
    We would be happy to check to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle at this time. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with your inquiry and the last 8 digits of your VIN.
  • sallyq73sallyq73 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I am having same issues with speedometer recently. Speedometer reads 70 when stopped and goes up to 120 mph as I accelerate. And have had dim gear lights for over a year now. Was not aware this issues were related until I read this forum. Would like to know if I have a recall on this problem and if it's still valid. I bought truck used in 2006 and never received any recalls. Dealer I bought it from is now closed as well as many other GMC/Chevy dealers on Long Island. So I do not know where to go for help!...milage is at 165,600 and last 8 digits of VIN are: 3J323854..... Please help GM customer service....thank you
  • lgretillatlgretillat Member Posts: 4
    You will likely not be eligible for the recall like I was not but I contacted the regional customer relations manager (available from your dealership) and got the cost of the entire instrument panel covered by GM. I was only responsible for the labor which ended up around $150. Give that a shot and see where it takes you.
  • sallyq73sallyq73 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Iqretillat!...I will try...like I stated, the Cadillac/gmc dealership I bought it from is now closed. Can I try any GMC dealership around me?...
    GM contacted my local dealer here in NJ to get the job done for less than the $500 I was quoted. I was charged $200 plus tax for a total of $214 to replace the cluster. I didn't want to pay a dime since this should be a recall issue due to this being so wide spread of an issue but I didn't feel safe letting my wife drive the truck like this. A few weeks after the cluster was replaced a got a check back from the dealer for a $52.33 refund so my final total was $161.67.
  • kaetlynsmomkaetlynsmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Yukon XL and have had nothing but problems with it from day 1. As of now, the speedometer is stuck on 0, the oil gauge is stuck, and the fuel gauge is inaccurate. I can't tell you how many times I have ran out of gas and got stuck on the side of the road with my 4 children b/c it said I had OVER 1/4 of a tank and I did not have anything. The heater turns on for no reason while driving and the only way to make it go back to cold is to pull over and turn the car off and then back on. The wipers do not work...I have to pull the fuse when it is not raining and then pull over on the side of the road to put the fuse back in when it does rain. I am a single mother of 4 trying to put myself through nursing school with absolute $0 in child support from my ex-husband. I cannot afford to pay the $500 plus dollars that the dealership wants to look at this issue. The speedometer is a MAJOR safety issue for my family as we have no clue how fast/slow we are going down the highway. I have watch several vidoes on you tube to try to figure this out and want to attempt to do it myself but I am not sure exactly what needs to be done. Anyone have any ideas of where I should start 1st??? HELP PLEASE!
  • glamazongirlglamazongirl Member Posts: 1
    GMC Dealership said ours was replaced, I assume they replaced it with the same defective recalled part. Bc it's still an ongoing issue, along with gas hand not working. Thank God for this site as we have tried everything to fix the reduced engine power. Finally, we replaced the throttle body on our vacation trip. That should be a recall. We have also had to replace the fuel filter, and countless batteries. But hey... We have 256,000 miles on our yukon XL. I'm still a big fan of GMC, our 99 Pontiac Trina's Am is sitting on 350,000 miles to the original motor.
  • cheriln564cheriln564 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had issues with their Ride Control? I have replaced the pump twice in 4 years! I'm getting the Service Ride Control message again! I don't want to spend another $600.....
  • husmanthusmant Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Yukon XL. I do not recall ever getting notice of the speedometer recall. VIN number is 5G285993. Current mileage is 128183.
  • bj0287bj0287 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Denali and just started having the speedometer problem. It started about a month ago then went back to normal until 2 days ago now the speedometer just sits around 60 mph when the vehicle is turned off. Once the engine is in motion it moves up to 120 while going about 40 mph. I am the original owner and still under 70K miles. I intend to call my dealer tomorrow to follow up on the recall. Thanks
  • guitarzombieguitarzombie Member Posts: 1

My 2005 Yukon XL Denali has intermittent speedometer (and tachometer). This problem has been going on for sometime in various models and years. So, I guess no one has died as a result of no / bad MPH readings (a few tickets?), so GM won't do squat about it. It is ridiculous that they are not taking responsibility for this. This is a design flaw. I know, I have worked with stepper motors in product designs before. I guess they have idiot engineers. One thing though, the ODOMETER WILL ALWAYS WORK! You want to know why? Social Media at GM always comments but you never hear of an admission of error. This is a blatant, ignored design flaw.

• multisurfacemultisurface Member Posts: 1

I purchased a 2003 Yukon XL new in April 2003. Until Last month I have been a happy buyer. Now I have had to replace the fuel pump, and this week (one week later) one of the front wheel bearings went out. This is all regular wear & tear. But when the car came came back the whole display console was out. No speed odometer, gas gauge,etc. I wonder if there was a recall in the past that I missed. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2003yukon12003yukon1 Member Posts: 1
    I spent $8 on a package of six gauge devices. (Ordered it off Amazon) There's a YouTube video showing how to fix the problem. I paid my mechanic $100 to replace the speedometer and RPM needle device (tiny little round plastic things that snaps in place) I did't have a soldering gun and just wanted it fixed. GMC failed their customers on this one and they know it. Worse, they screw owners by charging over $600 to fix. I love my 2003 Yukon SLT.