Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'95 Passport sluggish acceleration on hwy-fuel? tranny?

mitzilanimitzilani Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
I just bought a '95 Passport AT, 4WD and often when I try to accelerate while going 60+ the truck will feel like it's just not shifting, and will start to lose power. I've found if I pump the gas petal or floor it it will (most of the time) get moving. I'm not used to automatics, if it were a manual I'd downshift, I tried this and it didn't help much. Is it a fuel or a transmission problem?

Also Check Engine light comes on intermittantly, stays on for 5-10 minutes then turns off.

AND the dash gauge lights don't work, there doesn't seem to be a fuse for it, so how do you change the bulb?

Please help, I just went through hell with a 87 pathfinder can't afford too many problems here.

Comments

• chico8chico8 Member Posts: 3
    mitzilani. I own a 95 Honda Passport. It actually sounds like a transmission problem, Good luck with that. I own a manual transmission so I never had to deal with that.

I can help as far as the dash. I have chaged a few light bulbs in it. You have to Physically remove the front of the dash cluster where the light bulbs would be. Then you have to remove the assembly where your the gauges are. Threat this as any front or rear light assembly, since it is the same concept. I beleive I only needed a screwdriver and some confidence. If you have taken something apart before it should not be difficult.

I'm new to the forums and hope this helps you out. Good Luck.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    believe it or not this vehicle has a GM transmission (4L30E) and this unit is found in izuzu's, bmw's, cadillac's just to name a few my suggestion is get the codes pulled and let me know what the pcm is saying is wrong with that info ill be able to point you in the right direction to get your vehicle repaired
  • rose29rose29 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Honda Passport and I am having some of the problems that everyone else is stating that they are having. I would like to know if someone is also having the problem with putting it in reverse and it dies. I can get it started again but then it just dies but sitting in park the RPMs go up but then get in drive and the RPMs stay at 1500. Now is there something that could be causing the trans to not engage into the gears. I have 2 young children so I have to have this car but not being able to take them back and forth to the dr. and the dentist is killing me. I need help on this Fast Please.
    thank you
    rose
  • 01dodge4d01dodge4d Member Posts: 1
    my 95 honda passport AT with the 3.2l v6 is very sluggish unless the engine light comes on then it runs normal except for the fact that it only gets about 4mpg. i have replaced all the sensors including the one and only O2 sensor and the main engine computer, but i havent looked at the EGR valve, not sure if this could be the problem. what it does is if i floor it then it will puff a lot of black smoke and barely move and then the engine light goes on and reads O2 sensor lean, but it doesnt make any sense because of how much fuel it uses. ive been thinking and maybe its a bad ground for the O2 sensor or a bad connection. any advice
  • rainynorthwestrainynorthwest Member Posts: 1
    01dodge4d

I have a 94 Passport and am having the EXACT same problems as you are having. I was going to replace the ECM...but it sounds like thats not going to work. I have also noticed the strong smell of exhaust under the hood near the manifold or what appears to be the egr. I was thinking maybe I had an exhaust leak and fresh air was sucking back into the exhaust then down a few feet to the o2 sensor...thus causing a lean mixture code...the ecm would then tell the injectors to dump more fuel in the engine. Thats why when the check engine light goes on and it goes into the preprogramed ecm fuel ratio it seems to work (or at least work better). Have you had any luck fixing it yet?
  • 5tevo5tevo Member Posts: 1
    I'll be darned, I thought I was the only one with this problem as I too have a 1995 Passport that once in awhile runs very rough on the highway puffing black smoke out the exhaust burning tons of gas then out of nowhere the engine light comes on and it runs fine until I let the speed drop below 65 thereby the engine light goes out and runs rough again....... I took this to a Honda dealer and they replaced the oxygen sensor and it ran great for about a year and a half. It's in the shop right now having many hoses replaced under the manifold (wait till you that happens to you all) I also smell a lot of fuel coming in through the AC vents and I guess there is a charcoal canister that needs to be replaced. I am crossing my fingers that this will cure the engine light trouble as well. Anyone else have any luck?
This discussion has been closed.