Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A3 3.2 vs BMW 328xi

lg12345lg12345 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Audi
I'm looking to purchase either the A3 3.2 or the BMW 328xi. I really don't know too much about cars, but I'm looking for some help so I can make the right decision on this big purchase. I have done a lot of research and I really like the A3 but many people have said with the price tag why not just go for a BMW 328xi. I'm looking to step up to a fun sporty car, but something that can handle the Colorado winters. Please help me out!

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think you get a whole lot more powertrain for your money in the 3.2 a3 then the 328xi.

You get more horses, and more torque (by a wide margin).

If your looking for speed, the 328xi ain't it. now a 330 or 335 is another story.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    You will probably have more suspension travel and ability to handle bad ruts in the BMW than the A3 3.2, whose AWD seems more oriented for smooth road performance than SUV activities the BMW seems aimed at.

who builds BMW's AWD system? Audi's is from Haldex, the same supplier as for VW, Saab and Volvo.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Actually, the suspension travel is extremely minimal in my 2006 330xi.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Serious? BMWs have long been know for a good amount of suspension travel and the "xi" is no exception.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    So you are saying the E90/92 is known for longer suspension travel? I assume it's relative in the small sedan/coupe class.

In my experience the travel is very minimum indeed.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No, I'm saying that ALL BMWs are known for their long suspension travel. That's why/how they can build cars with good handling (with the SP or otherwise) and still provide a ride that doesn't knock the fillings out of your teeth.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I'm surprised the BMW might be so limited in travel.

Does anyone know what the __actual__ amount of suspension travel is in either the Audi or BMW, and do they use hydraulic bushings (like VW and some GM cars) to help damp harshness?
  • Options
    I do not know specifics. I assumed, in error, the BMW suspension in my 330xi was not as long as others. The suspension travel "feels" shorter over large bumps.

Shipo straightened me out!

I personally never shop a car according to suspension travel stats (if there are any listed anywhere). I learn something new every day!

Regards,
    OW
This discussion has been closed.