Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter low boost problem

2»

Comments

• We purchased a Dodge/Mercedes 07 Sprinter straight from the dealer and on the way home it stalled. We have visited the local dealer 6 times in 6 months After a year of more problems. We have filed the paperwork for lemon law. Its been a up hill battle..
  • I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 cargo van with the 3.0 turbo V-6. We only have about 17000 miles on it and haven't had a single problem until just last week. After 200 + miles of open freeway at 70-75 mph hauling about 1000lbs of cargo I experienced a loss of power after a short stop. It appeard the turbo wasn't engaging, the engine would shift all the way into OD by 40mph and struggle to get up to 60mph on a gradual grade - no throttle response, mash your foot to the floor at 60mph on flat ground and it won't downshift and struggles to accelerate in OD gradually getting up to 65-70mph. Coming to a stop on city streets, mashing the accelerator and it only pulls to about 2800rpm and again upshifts all the way to OD by about 40mph. stopped to re-fuel, then the engine light came on. I parked the van overnight, drove it to the dealer the next morning and of course it ran like a champ, no problems whatsovever. Dodge in Irvine CA said everything checked out fine, they road tested it, could not duplicate the symptoms, didn't charge me any thing and sent me on my way, ran like a champ. A fews days later, I drove the same run with the same load, same problem occured, but this time it made it almost 300 miles before it started, and again, as before, it started after a short stop for fuel. I am convinced the turbo isn't engaging, no turbo "whir" can be heard upon accelartion. Sounds like many of you are having the same problem, the Dodge dealers says "we can start throwing parts at it" Brilliant! Is this EGR valve? is this the turbo resonator? fortunately it is still under warranty but I am baffled at the lack of knowledge by the service manager on what seems to be a fairly common problem. Suggestions please?
  • vancarvancar Posts: 5
    Hi Marklorenz and every one,

I own a 2007 diesel myself and last summer I experienced the same scary thing while I was going 75 mph on high way 25 in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, and it was completely dark where there was no sign of civilization...the engine kept going to a limp mode for a few times then died while we were traveling that fast. I pulled over the road and restarted the engine when that happened. Whenever that happened my wife asked and I had to lie to her that I had to take a short break.

I finally made it to city of Loveland, CO. The next day I took my van to a dealer in Boulder and they found two codes. They checked things out and off I went home after a few days. On my way back while I was trying to pass a slow moving van, it went to a limp mode a gain. This time there was a Toyota pickup truck from a guy behind me that was doing 85 mph. He got sandwiched and almost killed by two slow moving vans!!!!

I learned from the Dodge in CO that they did not do any thing, just reset the computer. I finally got home and took it to my dealer. Nothing was detected! I finally replaced the fuel filter and the problem went away.

To the day I am convinced that I might have picked up a bad load of fuel a long the way from Seattle to Colorado....and Mercedes engineer team did not anticipate in bad fuel quality in the U.S. Their fuel filter was not big enough to handle contaminated fuel. This should be looked at and remedied quickly before someone got killed on high way.

Before my next trip I am going to put in an Airdog or a FASS fuel filter and pump. I don't know if any of you have ever done such a thing?

I will appreciate someone who is knowledgeable about this to write a quick tip on how to do this.

Many thanks,

-t
  • mr_b1mr_b1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with the 2.5 turbo-charged diesel. My van runs great on the road, has plenty of take-off pep, but falls flat on it's face if the drive wheels spin on a slippery surface!

For instance, when it snows, my wheel paths have to be cleared, or there is no take-off power. When the rear wheels begin to spin, the engine RPM's drop, and the yellow triangle-shaped RPM light flashes. Using chains is out of the question, because it doesn't have the power necessary to begin moving. The end of the road I live on is slightly steep, and getting up it with snow is a 'no-go'.

Any suggestions?
  • I have a 2007 Sprinter it showed the exact problem.I could shut it off and the problem would not show up again for 2 weeks. It turned out to be the return hose from the
    intercooler on the drivers side. I went to Euro Parts SD and got there repair kit it took
    about 30 minutes and after 2 start up & cool downs my check engine light went out
    and it ran just like when I first got it from the start up. With the new design it should
    not happen again. Just did it 1-30-2010 orderd one for the other side after I drove it
    the first time. The drivers side seems to be the one to crack at the hose conection first
    but will install the other one this week when I receive the other one.
  • valiunasvaliunas Posts: 1
    That's normal- You have traction control putting on the breaks and fighting the engine. Just disable it (the "ASR" button in the center console) and you can spin your wheels all you want. :)
  • Mark......I have a 2005 Sprinter with 65,000 miles that is having the exact problem you are describing. Were you able to fix your problem? Please describe.
    Thanks.
    Ron
  • I have a 2003 Freightliner badged Sprinter with 65000 miles on it. The same problem described by Mark Lorenz has been happening to my rig starting at 30000 miles. I found that by turning off the engine, the system would reset and I would be good for several days until the turbo derated again. At first the techs could not find anything wrong (because when you stopped it would reset) and it was difficult to duplicate. At 40000 miles they found some codes to reset but that did not stop the problem. At 63000 miles and a week before a major trip (it is a Leisure Van Mtr Home) Stopping the van would not reset the system anymore. Took it in and they replaced the electronic brains at $1100 (told them it should be under warranty since it started at 30000 miles and just because they could not figure it out). So now I am on my way to Houston, from Portland, OR, and in UT the turbo derated. You turn off the engine, wait 10 seconds, and start, and it is good again until the same thing happens. This is happening now 2-3 times a day, and our last day to destination in TX it happened 3 times. My Mtr Home was build in Canada, and the tech said that chassis made for Canadian market did not require a turbo dampner(?) which is an electronic module that helps regulate the turbo. He would have to order for abt $80 plus install, but events had already delayed my departure plans, so it is scheduled for when I get back. Very disappointed with the problems experienced. Transmission was replaced for vibration issue in Oct 2009. Thought that would cure the turbo problem but did not. Not sure I will buy another Sprinter.
  • tdd1tdd1 Posts: 1
    egr valves will go down before 80000 miles or it may be the hoses on eather side of the inter cooler they burst cousing turbo loss.
  • I noticed this problem a few weeks ago up at abouty 7500 feet and attributed it to altitude. Today it did it on the freeway at sea level and I took it to the dealer in Irvine, and so I hope they can figure it out. Just what was the issue with yours, and did they know how to fix it?The dealer also told me that Mercedes has taken over responsibility for Sprinter warranty issues.
  • The initial limp mode problem was caused by a crack in the turbo hase. Some super glue and monster duct tape fixed it for a year, then I had to replace the $95.00 hose. The second limp mode problem was caused by a blown-out resonator. I replaced the blown-out resonator with the aluminum one made by Riordan. My Sprinter has never ran better! At least the resonator problem is fixed; hopefully for good!
  • jimf36jimf36 Posts: 3
    The MAP pressure is good 29.5 The turbo resnator and intercooler hose's are good .It was put on a smoke test and passed.I did notice the EGR valve humming which never did before.It is has a $597.00 list price.WOW!If I disconnect the EGR valve it seems to run fine.iIf I hook it back up it gives me code P0299 and goes back to limp mode.If I clear code it runs good for about 1 mile and goes back to limp mode.The EGR valve gets its information from the mass flow and the charge air pressure sensors could one of this be my problem .The EGR valve is s humming can they be taken apart and cleaned .I havve never worked on aEGR valve before.I would appericate any input .Thanks
  • I have the same problem with a 2008 Sprinter, looking for an Aluminum Resonator, but have found nothing. Could you let me know where I could get it?
    Thank you
    Fred
    Fred's Mobile Service
  • Fred........the website for the aluminum turbo resonator is riordanco.com. You will need to ask them about a replacement resonator for the '08. Also be sure to check your turbo charger hose. I had a very small hairline crack in mine and it caused me to loose power. I had to squeeze the hose to see the crack. I temporarily fixed it with super glue and Gorilla tape and eventually bought a new $95 hose. Good luck!

I have driven 35,000 miles since replacing the plastic resonator on my 2005 Sprinter and it has performed flawlessly. I am also getting 24-26 mpg. Every 5 or 6 tanks of diesel I add a bottle of Lucas gas treatment. Seems to really help the mileage and the performance. When the Sprinter is good, it is great. But when it is bad, you want to go shoot it........
  • k4wcbk4wcb Posts: 1
    Jim, how do you unhook the EGR valve? My van is in the shop now and my mechanic said the EGR might be the problem. I haven't got the time or money right now to replace it. If I can disconnect it and everything run ok, I may go that route for a while.
    I dissconnected the EGR valve connector it's on the side of the EGR valve and my ran fine , it gave me a different code but still ran good.I read that you can clean them with mopar #04318039ac rust penetrant and to use a new gasket #0510 4007 aa.I have bought both of these but haven't tried it yet.It's worth a try just not high on my list now. I would not recomend driving not hooked up for long I don't know what other damage that will cause.
  • hi, have a 2006 2500 high top 158", been reading all the post, check engine light on, limped home, currently in shop, my question is we hear a humming,someone meantioned a humming egr valve, once you replaced with the new resonator did you still have humming from your egr valve or did you replace it,
    MY 2006 the EGR valve was humming .If you unplug it it you can be sure it's the egr because the humming will stop. My resonator was not bad .I had it on a smoke test and also removed it and epoxied it at the seam for piece of mind.Mine system passed the smoke test.There's a couple sensors that can affect the egr valve.A new egr valve is over $450 just for the valve. I'm told you can clean the egr sometimes and it will work.I bought a gasket and cleaner ,but got buzy at work. Hope to get back to it soon.Please post your out come. Thanks
  • hi, just got back my sprinter, it too is a 2006, it threw codes of P5025,P2359, they replace fuel cap, changed charge hose assembly,new intake pressure sensor and air temp sensor, it running with power but am testing it over the weekend with hills to see if it throws any codes,check engine light is off presently, but still have that humming,beginning of the week transmission is due for a flush has 162,000 miles all open road driving,
2»