Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura Electrical / Computer Problems?

Comments

• onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    no different alternator than other gm cars. just an excuse to raise the price.
  • mrkbker1mrkbker1 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    I just got the car back, my friend (the owner) has driven it about 225 miles since I got it back from this 'dealer'...and the electrical issues are happening again U0073, U2100, U2107, P0700). The dealer had kept it for a week, drove it (only) thirty miles total, and could not get it to do this again. They said that in spite of seeing the issues, they did not know what was causing the problem. He said any module between the BCM and the ECM could be causing the issue.
    This 'service manager' then proceeded to say that he thought the module that controls the transmission was bad. He said that it was located internally, and was very expensive (actually the MOST expensive) to replace since it would require dismantling the trans.. He further stated that this was a problem, since dismantling the trans would necessitate refilling the trans with new fluid, and that would 'damage' the trans since it was not a good idea to put fresh fluid in a trans with this high mileage...I could not respond initially, since i could not believe that was his 'solution'. I told him that the carfax records showed that the previous owner had done all the necessary mileage checkups and recommended services at the dealer in Doylestown since new including tranny services. He stated that the trans 'didn't shift well' now, and that was what he felt was the root problem.
    This trans shifts almost seamlessly, it barely can be felt going from gear to gear. The time from shift to shift is smooth and very quick, with no jolts or noises...i can't imagine a better shifting trans, EXCEPT when the ELECTRICAL ISSUES become apparent.
    I will contact customer service tomorrow and refer them to this essay. I personally think that a dealer that charges for what they have NOT done is a joke, and think the best course should be for them to ADMIT they have no idea what the issue is-and refund what my friend spent to find out they have no clue. I will take it from there. I have been working on vehicles for over 40 years, and I don't care what the problem is, for this person to first blame a scanner, then say they did not know, THEN say that they'd replace the most expensive module and postulate that it would fail anyway...this person should NOT be advising anyone on vehicle repair.
  • mrkbker1mrkbker1 Member Posts: 4
    *cricket sound*...

still going through this, dealer has no clue and has done nothing to even attempt a solution.

I have determined that the u2100 code is always first to set, and it then sets ABS codes before any other. Anyone have any idea where the ABS module is located on this thing???
  • motorvatormotorvator Member Posts: 1
    After reading this forum, I now know I have an oft-repeated story that is not at all uncommon. Our 2009 Saturn Aura XR has had intermittent (never repeatable at dealership) ABS and Traction Control lights, usually after the car stutters. I have not been able to determine whether it is the engine or sudden application of the ABS, but since the ABS/TC lights up, I've assumed it is an ABS related problem. We've taken it to the dealer who can find no codes, all is fine by their definition and they can not repeat the problem. She now tells me (I am overseas) the car had a violent stutter as she turned left in an intersection and the car basically "walked" further to the left. I believe it was the brakes aggressively modulating and affecting the steering. Needless to say, the ABS and TC lights lit up. While asking her questions about how it all happened, she mentioned that while she was decelerating at about 30MPH with her foot off the accelerator, the car started stuttering and then the engine accelerated towards 40MPH.....all with her foot off the accelerator. Again, more lights lit up, not sure which ones, nor is she. She was a bit busy trying not to hit the car in front of her than to pay attention to dashboard lights. I've told her to take it to the dealership, but I am not at all confident they will have a handle on this problem, as there appears to be no solution, at least none posted here besides the potential fix of greasing a cable connection under the passenger side dash.
  • dmm1277nydmm1277ny Member Posts: 1
    I have had many of the same symptoms with my Aura. I brought it used 2 yrs ago with 10,200 miles on it. It now has 45,400. Around 40,000 miles I had problems with the key fobs not working. I changed the battery in both but still had intermittent problems. Then the car would randomly not crank or start after short trips. If I waited 10 minutes and disconnected the battery it would start once I reconnected everything. Did it 4 times in 2 weeks. Then while driving on the hwy the traction control shut off followed by a Service ESC warning. A few minutes later all the gauges malfunctioned and all warning lights/messages came on. I was forced to pull over because the car began to sputter. I shut it off and waited 15 minutes then restarted it. It ran fine. I managed to get it to the dealer where it was diagnosed with a "no communication" problem btwn the battery and the computer. All this occurred in a 3 week span. They replaced the original battery and the car ran fine for just over 3 months. Then it happened again with 45,424 miles on it. While driving I experienced the same issues with the traction control/gauges/warning lights. I was able to drive to a nearby dealer (with the car running rough the entire way). They can find nothing wrong with it and they cannot get it to replicate the problem. They car is still there as they try to find the problem. I am frustrated because I drive 85 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and cannot rely on this car to get me there (or anywhere else) without issue.
  • bigrinbigrin Member Posts: 18
    I had same problems as described on this forum. 2009 Saturn Aura XR. Removed the passenger side kick plate (Saturn hides your electronics here) If you are sitting in the passenger front seat, just to the Left of your Left leg is a " side panel " just below height of your ash tray. Pull gently from the front of this panel ,you'll see a small hole to grab,(velcro there) and gently unsnap a little at a time. Panel will come off.
    Find the small black square box (BCM) unplug it, and snap it back in several times. Cured my problems. You can put dielectric grease on the prongs of the BCM box if you wish, but I didn't and it works fine. Anyway, snap it in and out numerous times. Then snap the side panel back in and you are good to go. I understand the Malibu has the same configurations. So should work for both.
  • kayleebabyxoxkayleebabyxox Member Posts: 2
    I have had some of the same issues. I purchased my 2008 aura xe about 4 months ago and loved it to begin with. But recently i have lost stereo sound on the drivers side, the speedometers dim and get bright on their own and I am constantly losing my display; i cant see the display at all. The radio will work but i can not see what station it is on or anything. And sometimes it will come back in a few miles but sometimes it can go on for a day or 2 before it comes back. It's frustrating to buy a new car and have issues. My dad is a mechanic so if anyone knows of any solutions he could do to make this go away i would apprecieate it.
    I had same problems as described on this forum. Have a 2009 Saturn Aura XR. Removed the passenger side kick plate (Saturn hides your electronics here) If you are sitting in the passenger front seat, just to the Left of your Left leg is a " side panel " just below height of your ash tray. Pull gently from the front of this panel ,you'll see a small hole to grab,(velcro there) and gently unsnap a little at a time. Panel will come off.
    Find the BCM module (you will see several fuses and connectors attached to it. Look for the two that appear to be housed by a small plastic harness. Fit a flat head screw driver into the latch, and unlock the plastic harness (it will slide upward over the module). You can then uplug the modules and you'll see numerous tiny thin metal prongs that it snaps onto. Snap it out and then back in several times. Then get some DiElectric grease from you local parts store and take a small paint brush (1/4" type) and swab the grease onto each of the metal prongs. Snap the module in and out several more times, and then snap it in and lock it down. Do the same for the other module. Then put the panel back on and drive it. My problems were cured,hope same for you.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    dash lights on auras dim because headlights go on too easy. if you manually turn off headlights (instead of on auto) dash lights will come back to bright..
  • mike1960bmike1960b Member Posts: 4
    My 2009 Aura SE with 80,000 miles has problems that seem to be a symptom of a greater problem. in 2010 it began with the fob not working. In Feb 2012 the locks started to go up and down while I was driving, and beeping. I took it to a dealer who replaced the window motor in the drivers side. A couple of months ago it started to happen again and I bought the car to another dealer, who could find no problem. They did feel the motor needed to be replaced again. For a while it did happen. As of yesterday it happening again; the locks going up and down, but now it has continued when the car is not running! what is new is that after driving it the battery light went on and has stayed on. What a mess.
    Mike see my post #110. Did the trick for me. It's a simple fix that won't take much time. See if this would work for you. Dealer's mechanics couldn't figure mine out either. Follow my instructions, it may work for you. Good luck.
  • kayleebabyxoxkayleebabyxox Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help. What about my display screen? The display screen that tells me the time, and radio station etc has gone completely black and won't come back on sometimes for a day or two. Could that be related to the headlight and dash lights? Again thanks so much
    Didn't have that problem, but my display screen dimmed so that I could not read it. Found out you have to have the dashboard dimmer switch turned all the way to the right, almost to the point of having the interior overhead light on. Then the dashboard lights are bright. If yours are all the way blacked out, then it may be another problem. A lot of these described electrical problems may be tied into the BCM module. Unplugging them, and coating the metal prongs with dielectric grease may help. It took care of my problems. Good Luck.
    edited July 2013
    I no longer own my 2008 Saturn Aura; yesterday was trade in time. On the way to the dealer everything fell apart: no power steering, brakes, radio went off, all lights, display,etc and I limped off the highway before it completely stalled. And of course it wouldn't start again. The last straw was probably the alternator. It was taken to the dealer on a flatbed. needless to say I didn't get what I had hoped for a trade in on a new vehicle! I am lucky they took it. I think this vehicle had a problem from the factory and not much was going to fix it...there was a short somewhere in the vehicle and as recently as last week my local mechanic would find nothing wrong. Thanks for the suggestions, I very much appreciate the help you tried to give, but there comes a point.......
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello mike1960b,

We're sorry to hear that you traded your Saturn, but we understand your decision. If there is anything we can assist you with in the future please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Amber, I did call GM Customer Care before the big "event" happened. I got the nicest young man who was going to research the problem and get back to me. He never did. I think you would want to kow that.
    Hi mike,

Thanks-- I am happy that the agent you spoke with over the phone was willing to help with your case. Were you by chance given a case number to reference? If so, can you please send me your case number so that I can notify your agent? If you are unsure of your case number feel free to email your full name and VIN to socialmedia@gm.com.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • pnutbtrcup01pnutbtrcup01 Member Posts: 3
    We are having the same issue as "mike1960b" and others above. It just started...I have owned my 2008 Saturn Aura for 5 years, just received my Saturn 5th Year anniversary email a few days ago and then this happened...My car wouldn't start. We thought it was the battery since it was testing low at the last oil change. We got a new one then everything started to go crazy! The Power Steering went out as we were driving and when we went to check the computers the NEW battery was low again and the alternator was low. We determined the battery wasn't getting any charge from the alternator and replaced the alternator and serpentine belt. We now have a NEW battery, alternator and serpentine belt and the car is still not functioning properly. The power steering, traction control and all other lights are going on. Hopefully we can make it safely to the dealer tomorrow to see what is going on but I'm not hopeful after readying all these posts. The car is only a few payments from being paid of and I am not planning on buying a new car. I'm not happy with this at all. Just a few months after buying my Saturn, Saturn no longer existed and then it was one thing after the other...
    Hello,

I can understand your frustration, and apologize that you're having this issue with your Saturn. I can definitely look more into this to see what we can do to help resolve your concerns in a timely matter. Please email me your VIN, exact mileage, contact info and dealership. I look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mikey0103mikey0103 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Saturn Aura XE for my wife in February 2010. And it was a great car at first then the screen went on the radio after a couple of months then last year the locks started messing up and they won't all unlock or lock like they are suppose too. And a couple of days ago she started her car and the service airbag light came on and she heard a popping sound from the passenger side dashboard area and it was hesitating and now something is draining the battery and the alternator tests at 14.4 voltage so its good. I am am electrician and I tested everything but can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I know there is some recalls on the car and we plan on taking it to the GM dealer this week but this is just ridiculous. We have four kids and we can't afford some outrageous bill to fix these problems. Does anyone know of any electrical recalls that this car may have? Or has anyone else had a similar problem???
    Mikey, see my post #110. Give it a try. It may work for you. Good Luck!
    We just had the whole electrical panel replaced. It shorted out. Aparently that is the problem. It causes the problem with the alternator and battery! What a pain! Expensive too! Good luck and get it there quick and safe! Everything we t out on ours on the way there! Power stering, traction control then it just stopped! Could have been really bad!
    Hi Amber,

Where do I find your email to send you that info you requested?

Thank you,
    Our email is socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include a few details on your situation as well. I look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hi mikey,

I'd be more than happy to look into any recalls for you. Please send me your VIN and current mileage, and I will review any recall information for you prior to your dealership visit. You can reach us by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • metroeastmetroeast Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your response as I'm experiencing these same problems on a 2009 Saturn Aura XR with about 15,500 miles. I'd greatly appreciate some additional information. Once the 'fix' was applied how many miles have you driven and have any of these same problems happened again? I haven't gone to any of the authorized Saturn dealerships in my area for this problem as yet but when I do I plan to start with your 'fix'. I don't know what kind of issues I'll have getting them to do the 'fix' without them wanting to do other more costly repairs as they may not be as honest or competent as your dealership. Can you supply the name & phone number of the dealership who did the 'fix'? I'll do some minor repairs and adjustments on a car for easy access items but I'm not as familiar with things under the hood on this Saturn as I should be so please jump start my knowledge, is the BCM unit and connection behind the dash, under the dash, on the engine compartment firewall or part of the fuse relays compartment? This sounds like something I can do if I can access it and if it works then I don't need to deal with a dealership. Thanks for any advise and support.
  • jenst33jenst33 Member Posts: 5
    My 2008 Saturn Aura XE is having similar issues... It beeps all the time and flashes lights on the dashboard and the dials are going crazy.. the dials keep going to 0 or my gas gauge goes to empty but goes back to normal... This is really aggrevating me alot but quits beeping and acting up after i kick under the dashboard after a few kicks towards my fuse area... Help!!!! I got referred to someone today after taking it to autozone to get it plugged in under the dashboard to see if it was throwing any codes.... No luck there but anyways anyone that has that issue please reply back...
  • kaylads1kaylads1 Member Posts: 2
    Randy,

Your help would be much appreciated. I have a 2008 saturn aura and I was recently driving down the rd when all my lights and door locks started going crazy. The car stalled out on me and I had to get a jump and keep the rpm's high to get it home. My mechanic has changed the alternator and says that my computer also has to be replaced. He is insisting that someone had to have touched the computer with the jumper cables at some point to cause this problem. Does this sound like the problem you were having and do you think the dielectric grease will help this?
  • kaylads1kaylads1 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering what your outcome was with your computer issues. I am having the same problem with mine and input would be much helpful.
    My 2008 Aura with only 80,000 miles had exactly the same problems as an earlier message will state. a year after the door issues that you are talking about (temporarily fixed by a door motor in the d rivers side), I stated to get a lot of other issues all at once. On the way to trade it in all systems shut down when I was driving and it was towed on a flatbed into the dealer. I would urge restrain in any mechanic working on it who might think he or she knows the problem, is it very complex and I am sure very expensive. I would contact General Motors immediately and demand help. The car would have had a r ecall, I suspect, if Saturn still existed.
  • easywritereasywriter Member Posts: 1
    OK; I screwed up. The question is how much.

I put a new battery into a 2008 Saturn Aura today. I didn't pay attention to the fact that the polarity of the posts on the new battery was opposite the polarity on the old battery. So I connected it backwards. Very bad. I apologize to the Saturn gods.

I got visible electrical smoke from beneath the air intake when this happened. Once I had the battery installed correctly, the car runs and all major functions (speedometer, headlights, cruise control, locks and windows) work. Not working: radio, turn signals, charger (nee cig lighter).

Any idea what I fried and how hard it is to replace?

Many thanks.
  • texasmaplestexasmaples Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I have been reading through all these posts for over an hour now. It seems this is a major issue with Saturn cars. Why is there no recall? Everyone please contact your State Attorney General's office and let them know about the electrical problems you've had with your car. Many AG Office have websites that you can file a complaint online. If enough people complain, they will investigate and the AGO can make GM / Saturn do a recall.

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Aura XE in June of 2011. Everything was fine for the first 30 days, on day 32 (after the 30 days to return to dealership expired!) the automatic door lock system would no longer lock / unlock the drivers door. Then last summer (2012) occasionally the "check air bag" light would come on. It'd go of after driving a few miles. I had my inspection done (required here in Texas) in April, funny there wasn't any codes that came up about the "check air bag" and then in May my radio started to flash on and off randomly then stop and not do it again for a few weeks, then it happened again about 4 times now and again this summer on really hot days (over 103 degrees) the "check air bag" light came on again and would go off after a few miles. It doesn't always come on, about once or twice a week and once it went off before I even started to drive. Well yesterday my car wouldn't start. I ran 3 errands, every time it started ... no issues, then on the 4th errand, it wouldn't start. Bought a new battery this morning, installed it and it still won't start! The lights come on, the radio, it's getting power, but it won't turn over, don't even hear it trying to start. Nothing, just a click noise when you turn the key. Even tried putting it in neutral and still it won't start. Which is why I ended up here. My car has less than 48,000 miles on it!

Like I said, after reading all these posts, this seems to be a computer issue with Saturn cars. I have downloaded all these post as evidence that this is not just a problem with my car and submitted a complaint to the Texas AGO.

I don't think I or anyone else should have to pay to fix an issue that GM / Saturn is well aware of considering the volume of post on here! I plan on also contacting an attorney to see about starting a class action lawsuit against GM / Saturn.

Sorry to the GM Customer Care people replying here. I am not going to wait for you to tell me I have to pay for a diagnosis at a GM dealership when you are very much aware that there is an issue as it has well been stated here on and a few other websites I found, you've known about it for the past 4 years!!! Why hasn't GM done anything to correct this computer / electronic issue?

Once my car is running again I will be trading it in and I will NEVER EVER buy a Saturn or GM vehicle again. To know something is wrong and not do anything pro-active it not acceptable customer service, nor does it give the impression that GM / Saturn stands behind their products! And don't say well Saturn went out of business and isn't our product. The Malibu is a twin to the Aura!
    Hello texasmaples,

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Saturn vehicle, and apologize that your experience has led you to feel this way. If there is anything we can do to help with this situation or if you'd like to start a case with us please feel free to send an email to socialmedia@gm.com.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Actually, the best way to have your complaints compiled by an agency with the power to investigate and urge recalls is to report to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• texasmaplestexasmaples Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    I did report yesterday to NHTSA and to the Texas State Attorney Generals Office and I've made post on a few other websites I found where others have reported the same problem.

I ended up having my car towed to a dealership yesterday. They told the warranty company that there was battery acid on the fuse box which caused the problems. IDIOTS! Battery acid is a liquid. The fuse box sits 1.5" ABOVE the battery and there is a space / gap about 1" between to battery and fuse box. Both the battery and fuse box have covers. So how does a liquid flow up 1.5", across a gap and through two covers? It doesn't! And the old battery had no leaks (easy to get a sworn statement from the store where the new battery was purchased at since I gave them the old battery to dispose of, plus the store has video. Easy to see if there is a leak or any liquids on the battery!) If there was liquid / battery acid, I certainly wouldn't have touched that battery! It can burn your skin!

I am just glad I took detailed pictures of the engine and battery area before my car was towed. I also have pictures of the engine from 2011. And I had my car inspected (Texas law) in late April and NO where did the mechanic note any battery acid or any issue! And I just had 4 new tires put on my car about 6 weeks ago and an oil change. And again NO mention of any battery acid leaking.

I did contacted GM Customer Care. No big surprise they tell me there is no current recall for any technical issues for my car. Total and complete denial that there is an obvious issue with the fuse box center. So many post on here from people who had the SAME issues I experienced. The fuse box is defective! And maybe not all Saturns experience this issue, it could be the plant just got a bad batch of fuse boxes.

Perhaps someone should do some research on all the cars reporting this issue, see which plant the cars were manufactured at and see if they all have the same lot or batch of fuse boxes installed?

I am beyond furious that GM so easily dismisses the fact the fuse box is defective and they refuse to take responsibility for it and be pro-active! That they blame the issue on something else. The only satisfaction is that they were stupid enough to blame it on battery acid! Very easy to prove this is false thanks to pictures and eye witness accounts.

I am a stay at home mom. I got nothing but time on my hand to pursue this. I can be the squeaky wheel that gets the oil!

I will start with creating a new email account so I can email each individual on here and a few other websites posting of this issue to advise them to please report to their state attorney generals office and to NHTSA and I will be contacting an attorney to see about starting a class action law suit. And contacting the media. And creating a FB page where people can post their experience and get updates.

Like a dog with a bone!

For today, I just wait for the car to be repaired. Lets see if the issue is fixed or will it continue? Will post updates.
  • ajhembreeajhembree Member Posts: 1
    I have read each message on this thread.... because MY CAR IS CURRENTLY AT THE DEALER to be repaired. I purchased a used 2007 Saturn Aura XR in June of 2010. In early 2011 my car started with the flashing the service lights (engine, traction, air bags, tire pressure, etc) I noticed in on inclines and on rainy days... I also noticed the service engine light would come on if the gas cap was not on tight... My remote stopped doing anything pertaining to my car... (will not argue that it could be the remote itself) The brakes make a noise and the fan for the car will engage but with a loud noise from time to time. My battery has been replaced for the 3rd time TODAY!!! The dealer could not diag. my car without it running and the battery was DEAD again!!!! Not to mention the batteries have been charged by Advanced multiple times between battery exchanges. I have had to jump my car many many many times as well. So, about 3 weeks ago my car started shuttering at stop signs, lights, etc. then while parked for 10 mins at a relatives home, I went to start the car (which was sitting on an incline) and it would not crank, I had the car towed to my home, it cranked on flat ground, but was shuttering so much it would go dead and then would not crank. codes were checked by On-Star and was told it was fuel and crank issues. Crank shaft sensor and knock sensor as well as spark plugs were replaced, and then NOTHING... NOTHING AT ALL, so now it is at the dealer, who can not pull codes because it will not crank, has called about the battery, which I swapped at Advanced Auto, then called about spark plugs, which were just replaced, now they are talking about tearing into my motor to find the cause, since they can not pull codes. They have to get it running to check codes....

I am a single mom with no job because I have MS and epilepsy... but I am not stupid, I am sure my car isn't the first that would not crank. How are other cars diagnosed without going into the motor?

Is it all electrical as everyone else, or is it in the motor (skipped timing) or just the computer? Please help! I am willing to join forces with anything needed to get my car fixed, I can not buy a new car, love my car for the most part, but as everyone else need a dependable ride with my kids.
  • dj32953dj32953 Member Posts: 1
    This is the same issue I'm having. I know get a light saying that the drivers air bag is off. Then saturday night my car wouldn't start. message light said something like engine power low. I was told i may need a new computer.
  • maria0811maria0811 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, let me start by saying, I've never had as many car problems with any other car as this one. I bought my 2008 Aura new off the lot and this was to replace my 1997 Saturn that had 265K Miles (I've recently been told by a mechanic "it only lasted that long because it was a 5-speed"). I thought it was a wonderful car because of the previous one. I was sold a lemon, no other way to say it.

Since then I have had so many issues I don't even know where to begin. From "check engine" light remaining on after several visits to mechanics to pay their fee to do a diagnostic only to have the same issue 2 days later. So, now I don't go anymore for that. The next issue was Power Steering. This happens whenever it feels like it and no one can seem to diagnose that either. I can be driving 5 or 45 miles and all of a sudden the "Power Steering" will flash across the dash and that's it- no more power steering. I've almost been in a couple of accidents with this issue.

Another on-going issue, my "service tire" is always on along with it's blinking "!" in the bottom right that never seems to go away. The newest issue are my brakes! Every year I've had the car I've had to replace the rotors and brake pads. I've changed mechanics, took it to the dealership and now Pep Boys and it doesn't matter, I will need them placed again I'm sure before next year. This March, I bought new brake pads, rotors for the front. Last week, my car began to grind to a stop. What happened to the squeal when the brake pads get low?! Never had that......went straight from stopping to grinding. Thank God Pep Boys honored their warranty and replaced everything again for free just last week. But I'm so tired. Is there anything I can do about this?
    Hello dj32953,

If you're interested in having your Saturn repaired at the dealership for any electrical issues we'd be happy to assist. We understand that this problem may frustrating for you and want to help in any way possible. If this interests you, please email me at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include your name, VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealership. Please also reference your screen name. Thank you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • trenacetrenace Member Posts: 3
    Hello Kristie,

I need some help. I purchased a Saturn 2008 Aura last year and all I had was problems and recalls. My door locks would go up and down while driving every other day. When it rain it was worst. But when I take it to the shop, then it would stop. They couldn't fix it because they couldn't see the problem. Then my check tire pressure light would come on and off. I took it to the shop, the tire pressure was fine. Then the auto-theft light would come on and off. Traction light would come on and off. Basically the car had a mind of its own. I drove the car about 10 miles October 31, 2013 parked, walked across the street my car became a blaze of fire. The fire department said it started from the engine. This car was a problem from day one. GM said they wouldn't help because in my state the Breach of Warranty Statue of limits ended August 2013 6 years from the time the original owner purchased the Vehicle. I am still paying for this car. GM are so wrong for not protecting our safety. I could have died and that is what it is going to have to take before any action to be brought forth for these unsafe Saturn's Aura. What do you suggest?
    I need some help. I purchased a Saturn 2008 Aura last year and all I had was problems and recalls. My door locks would go up and down while driving every other day. When it rain it was worst. But when I take it to the shop it would stop. They couldn't fix it because they couldn't see the problem. Then my check tire pressure light would come on and off. I took it to the shop, the tire pressure was fine. Then the auto-theft light would come on and off. Traction light would come on and off. Basically the car had a mind of its own. I drove the car about 10 miles October 31, 2013. Parked walked across the street all of a sudden my car became a blaze of fire under the hood. The fire department said it started from the engine. Do anyone know how this could have happened? This car was a problem from day one. GM said they wouldn't help me because in my state the Breach of Warranty Statue of limitations ended August 2013, 6 years from the time the original owner purchased the Vehicle. Can anyone help me find them liable, as which they truly are?I am still paying for this car. GM are so wrong for not protecting our safety. I could have died in this fire incident. Is a person's death is what it is going to take before any action is brought forth fromm these unsafe Saturn's Aura. What do you suggest?
    I need some help. I purchased a Saturn 2008 Aura last year and all I had was problems and recalls. My door locks would go up and down while driving every other day. When it rain it was worst. But when I take it to the shop it would stop. They couldn't fix it because they couldn't see the problem. Then my check tire pressure light would come on and off. I took it to the shop, the tire pressure was fine. Then the auto-theft light would come on and off. Traction light would come on and off. Basically the car had a mind of its own. I drove the car about 10 miles October 31, 2013. Parked walked across the street all of a sudden my car became a blaze of fire under the hood. The fire department said it started from the engine. Do anyone know how this could have happened? This car was a problem from day one. GM said they wouldn't help me because in my state the Breach of Warranty Statue of limitations ended August 2013, 6 years from the time the original owner purchased the Vehicle. Can anyone help me find them liable, as which they truly are?I am still paying for this car. GM are so wrong for not protecting our safety. I could have died in this fire incident. Is a person's death is what it is going to take before any action is brought forth fromm these unsafe Saturn's Aura. What do you suggest?
  • shanzieshanzie Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Aura for a couple years now, and the problems have been fairly minimal... until now.

Sure, having to replace the battery a couple times was a pain. The key fobs barely working were inconvenient. The brakes got a little scary when driving down a big hill. And the terrible road noise down the highway, and bumpy ride didn't make for a comfortable ride. BUT, when my power steering went out in middle of me turning a corner... well, that was just dangerous! To top it off, my husband inspects the car and can't find anything wrong with it, even though I told him a "ESC power steering" light came on when it happened.

So, with much fear, I drove the car again and it was fine... until today. I was taking my son to school (in the ice and snow), when all of a sudden I didn't have power steering in middle of a turn! I am afraid to drive the car again at this point. When the steering goes out, it is almost impossible to not hit someone. I wish I hadn't traded in my Tahoe for this piece of crap!
  • zack2416zack2416 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 saturn aura XE in the fall of 2013. The radio screen was already out. A few months later the FOB started to not work now only the unlock, trunk, and panic barley work. The locks are starting to act up (started with rear driver side door) and now the driver lock/unlock door button doesn't work. Power steering has went out a few times and nearly caused me to wreck. It has stalled a few times. I don't want to end up like others and have it start having battery problems. I would like to take action upon this Saturn/GM issue and get it resolved before someone gets hurt or even worse killed.
  • jpipp25jpipp25 Member Posts: 1

I need some help. I purchased a Saturn 2008 Aura last year and my door locks would go up and down while driving every other day then became soo often it would do it every 2 seconds even with the car off.. But when I take it to the shop Traction light would come on and off. Now its been about 4 months that I can start my car up first thing and drive around but when i shut it off i takes 2 hours to 3 hours before i start it again, It has brand new starter i replaced it 4 times thinking it was always bad bought 3 batteries and new O2 sensors all 4 of them and spark plugs. nothing seems to help when i go to mechanic it always works fine. talked to GM and been there 3 times and they act like i am crazy. Even shot a video on my cell phone showing them the problem and they have no clue. I am not the onlyu one who is having this issue and can afford any more money for a mechanic. Any one have any help i am a 29 yr old single dad who need car help.

• joerebkjoerebk Member Posts: 1

I had the door lock problem. If you replace the power lock switches the problem is solved. In addition, I had the the original problem in this thread of the rough running and the traction control light coming on. It is a bad fuel injector. Replaced the fuel injectors and the car is now purring like a kitten.

• tinkbel25tinkbel25 Member Posts: 1

All these post I have read have me so scared. I bought my Saturn Aura in 08 brand new off the lot. Within 2 weeks I had the brakes replaced. Not to mention tons of tires. Also my electrical system started having problems with the radio and so on. Then next came my transmission just gave out and left me and my 3 kids stranded so I had that replaced. Then My breaks went out again!!! WTH.. Here I am still trying to pay it off, and I have sunk over 4000 into it in the last 3 months to different vast variety of things. Now I just bought 2 more new tires and had them put on at GMC and now I seen a new problem. I had the low traction and then the traction service esc light come on and it felt like it was dragging almost and losing power but then stopped. Also I had a brand new battery put in a few months back...cables and connection are fine according to GMC but yet sometimes my car just won't start. I have been disappointed from the beginning. Here I am about to make an hour trip with the family and I am terrified to drive it. The worst car I have ever bought. Also only place to service it is GMC but it seems like everytime they fix something within a week I am back in there. Stressed

• dcricker2008dcricker2008 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014

I currently own a 2007 Saturn Aura XE, I bought it brand new off the lot. I have had very few problems, just normal maintenance of brakes, tires and two new batteries since the purchase, until recently. In November I took the car to the dealership, with 85,000 miles, because there was a strange noise from the front wheel wells'. I was told that the tie-rod was nearly broken in half and needed to be replaced. That was all fine, had the tie-rod replaced and it ran great. The next time I had my oil changed the dealership told me I should have my fuel system flushed and that it would give me better performance and better gas mileage. I agreed to have the system flushed and one week letter the check engine light came on. I took the car back to the dealership and they told me that one of the two catalytic converters needed to be replaced. My car never lost power, never died, did not even sound different. I took the car to an independent mechanic and was told the same thing, that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. I had the catalytic converter replaced and 3 days later the check engine light came back on. Took the car to a different dealership and it has now been there for nearly 5 weeks. They keep trying different things and nothing seems to work. They have had the manifold off, all 6 fuel injectors have now been replaced, and now they are trying other things. Anyone know what the issue might be? Data from the car's computer was even sent to GM headquarters in Detroit and they are the one's who recommended the fuel injectors be replaced.

• micheleinezmicheleinez Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Saturn Aura XE that I have I eventfully added 70000 miles to (80% late night early morning driving on the highway). I have experienced lately all of the warning lights, noises, stooped engine etc. mentioned here. Having NO money for repairs I have prayed to JESUS for the answer. Well The Lord has answered my question about this retired model by letting me drive a Prius. The Prius has electrical power with gasoline driven support. One problem with that feature is if the power supply gets overheated (either from excessive demand-I.e. Lights, radio, devices, A/C, speeding-- then TRACTION signal illuminates and the car switches OFF (safety feature). Now I noticed how hot it felt under the hood of my car every time I was under the hood trying to understand why my car just quit. We all know there is no air filter for this model so why not check the cooling fan/ system to see what is not keeping the battery cool? Will investigate and get back when I get money together... Can't trade so got to deal ...
  • crawford1401crawford1401 Member Posts: 1

My husband's2008 Aura is having most of the same issues listed here. Has anyone solved the electrical issues that are definitely not caused by he battery or alternator? Did anyone ever have this resolved with GM? Did anyone try the recommendation from "bigrin" from dec. 2013 and have it work for them?