Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think Vegas is like Miami. You see a lot of expensive exotics, but for old stuff you've got to get away from the city limits. That's probably a bit true for parts of LA as well. Ironically, I never noticed much of that high priced stuff around San Jose despite the Silicon Valley. Maybe I was just in the wrong part of the area (did find an In and Out Burger though :-) )
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There's a new collector car dealership opening up there but I don't think they are going to do rentals...called MyHotCars I think it is. Some collector car businesses do rent old stuff out, usually for weddings and movies though, not for cruising. Not a bad idea, though.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    And for a lot of those exotics, it is a safe bet to assume they are rentals - Vegas and Miami have a considerable amount of exotic rental companies.

Maybe SJ isn't the pretentious area? I don't see any Ferraris in Seattle away from the dealership neighborhood, but go out to Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond, and you'll eventually see just about anything (I still remember the afternoon my commute grind was spent behind an Enzo).
    There have been a few vintage dealerships around Seattle. I've wondered how they stay afloat, as their prices usually start at "high" and climb rapidly from there. I suppose looking for lucky boomers with more money than sense.

There was a place in LA that would rent old cars, esp convertibles, I don't know if it still exists though.
    edited November 2013
    I have to imagine there are a few insurance claims. I saw one splitting lanes last night, don't know if that is legal here or wise on a heavy wide bike. I didn't see anyone offering a normal ~600cc standard or sportbike, or a dual sport.

In Germany, Sixt rents BMW bikes ranging from the big C650 super-scooter to the superbikes.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I doubt it's illegal in Las Vegas. The inscription on the Nevada license plate should read:

"Yeah, you can do that here".
    I don't know, Vegas has some odd restrictions, I noticed a lot of infuriating no turn on red signs, for example. I checked on it - lane splitting is legal there in stopped traffic, so the guy in the wide 900lb small car was OK.

Turned in my rental today, no issues. Put virtually 1000 miles on it in 8 days. No problems at all, I'd wanted to try a 2014 Impala (2LTZ only, please), and I wasn't disappointed. National had a very efficient turn in system too.

At Hertz, I spotted some Prestige cars stored away, several new Porsches.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Hertz hired one of my co-workers yesterday for one of the jobs I want and he's older than I am. He's a bit mouthy though in that, he never shuts up and talks just to talk! Why in hell would they hire that? Heard he has been "bugging them" on a very manic level, so...I won't do that, I just wrote a thank you note to the hiring guy that spoke with me last week to thank him and again saying how much I would like a job there...I won't badger them like this guy did as it ain't my style. If they want me, they can have me and I just hope my cane won't keep them from considering me, as we know it will not be my age!
    Have another interview this morning so we'll see...will accept if they offer me something as I really need to move on...the new boss is the same as the old in that his favorites get the best work and I am getting the [non-permissible content removed] work and still working less than others. Have also let him know that I will no longer be a taxi for that other guy I pick up...he never offers gas money and always has an excuse when I ask and told my boss long ago we ain't a package deal! I want to be responsible for me...but he is taking advantage now and I am over it.
    So wish me luck...did stop in yesterday while working at the airport to see where I have to go today and like I say, if they offer me a job today, I will take it as Hertz might not come through for me even though it would be perfect...I still want to work! And why say no to a job while waiting for one that might not come through...seems dumb. Luckily, I do not have to work, but it's the difference between steak and hamburger really...we can live on my pension and whatever the wife brings in but if I work, the retirement accounts won't need to be touched which is why I am working...that extra bit pays for the "other" stuff...we don't need to take minimum distributions till we reach 70 and 1/2 I think from the ira accounts but we can at 59 and 1/2 from what I hear. Best to keep working part time and save the retirement for later! We shall see! The Dollar guy asked me to work again today at the airport but had a dental cleaning at 8 and then the interview so had to decline. Had let boss know last week but he called last night and asked me to work until I reminded him that I had sent him my schedule of appointments and says I could not work. I make it so easy and these guys just won't understand that! i need a new job badly where I have a set schedule and the boss is fair with employee work hours...ain't too much to ask now is it!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Went and listened and then...left! It's not the one as it's basically moving vehicles in the airport all day, something I will not do for 8 hours every day. Also, I was the only white, English speaking person there which isn't a good sign...just got a bad vibe so I left. They didn't have my paperwork either even though I did stop in yesterday which was a bad sign also. This ain't the right one either, so...I will sit tight and basically work when I want to at USA for the time being and hope Hertz will want me, as that is the "perfect fit" right now. Still surprised they hired that co-worker as he is always talking, never shuts up for even a minute, when i first spent time with him I really thought he had a mental issue cause he just can't sit without saying something. And it's pretty stupid stuff most of the time...he just talks to talk which is something that has always bothered me in people. Talk when you have to but to just speak nonsense all the time is crazy. So something tells me their standards aren't that high employee wise. I prefer not to badger them every time and just do the work in a quiet professional way and hope they like my work ethic and demeanor.
    Also stopped by Carmax to drive the CT 200H again, as it's still there...the one in Miami sold but there is a brown over black in Ft. Myers for $27k but the color combo isn't wonderful...but the mileage is, just over 19k without navi which is fine by me for a 2012 model. It did drive nicely today and prefer the grey over ivory interior but the miles are a lot, over 31k so not much of the 4/50 factory warranty left at all...probably only months. So, I left unhappy and especially since they only offered me $7k for my Civic!!! The only issue is the rear bumper cover has some issues from the garage door hitting it twice but besides that, it's pristine and up to date maintenance wise. Bet I could get $10k easy if I sold it myself...it looks that good with the alloys and the great sound system. If I did sell it to Carmax, the wheels come off and the amp comes out but again, I couldn't pull the trigger even after seeing the numbers if I financed about $12k...figured their $7k and my cash of $10k and then adding on their warranty since it is a hybrid with a cvt tranny. But seeing that only 2 out of the 4 of us are for it, probably not the best thing to do since I could get a brand new Verano or ILX, be even more happy and call it a day. The mileage of 43/40 was pretty sweet though!

The Sandman :) :shades: :sick:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Too bad about the job, I guess the one moving cars from location to location is the "exciting" one. Maybe your friend wore them down and he was hired just to shut him up - maybe try that ;)

I bet there's a lot of negotiating room on an ILX especially - they haven't taken the world by storm. National at LAX had one in their fleet, but it was pretty basic.
    Went on an interview for the same type of job but in West Palm on Friday so hope it comes through. Seems to be a better run company and the dispatcher is the one who picks the crew, not the chase driver...seems more fair to me. Got a very good vibe when I was there...seems to be abetter run organization so we'll see. No word on Hertz yet but if that comes through, I will be set...what a great thing that would be and think I'd be the happiest at that job. It's in G-d's hands now and if it is meant to be, it'll happen. Anyways, I think USA will be DOA very soon as it is so I must find another gig. Only worked 12 hours last week though they wanted me back at the airport Tuesday and offered to come after my dental appointment but they said no. Missed out on a few Orlando trips with the old boss and heard he had a lot of trouble getting a crew together but refused to call me...fool! Did see an old co-worker who told me that I was missed, the whole crew said they missed me which made me feel good but sad at the same time as I'd run back if the boss would just ask me to. Pride is a terrible thing when it gets in the way of something positive. And if he's give an inch, I'd give a mile!
    So now we wait...i know I will land on my feet either south or north of my house...I hope it's south!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Amex - $25 insurance for the duration of the rental. Done. That along with my normal insurance should have me more than covered.
    Good luck! Don't go back to the old place, sanity is worth more than what they pay. Don't reward a poor boss. You'll find something else.
    Wife said the same thing...just walk away with your head up because they are not worth your time. Think you two are right here. Glad I turned down today because a commitment is a commitment and I promised my wife I would either take over or help with this account. She's my old postal customer but really likes and trusts my wife to do her books. She trained me on what to do today...go through her "junk" mail and throw most of it away, pay her monthly bills and keep a current balance in her check book. Just have to enter her pension and social security payments and subtract out her bills and contributions. Then file everything in her "system" which the wife set up...pretty easy really. I could see today that she has a slight issue with me coming alone as she trusts my wife so I told her that we'd come together monthly and get it done...old folks like the continuity and she wants to know my wife is not dropping her. We go back next month but have also scheduled lunch where she'll take us out. Also let her know that if she needs a ride anywhere and if I am free, I would take her as she gave up her vehicle...she's 100 but still pretty spry. I was her brother's mailman before I became hers so we've known each other since 1991, a long time.
    Agree that it's time for me to kiss USA goodbye once and for all...will miss the nice co-workers but that's it...they treated me like garbage and I plan to take them out to the curb once and for all!

The Sandman

Couldn't wait so I called and he said he'd call me back. I got the gig in West Palm with the new company...told him I am ready to start tomorrow! Am thrilled right now and only one thing would make me happier, besides selling the Civic, and that's if the Hertz job comes through. Maybe now it will and anyways, I am so thankful to G-d right now for opening this door for me as I left it in his hands. Hopefully there will be work in the morning but will call between 5 and 6 like we are supposed to. Wife is pleased but said to keep it quiet, no posting on fb or telling everyone and think she's right. Need to wait for the appropriate time though I bet some of my USA co-workers would be interested on this but gonna keep the mouth shut for now. And if USA calls me, I will just hold them off for as long as possible.
    For right now and before Hertz decides, this is the best course of action for me as who knows, it could be the perfect gig actually! It just might be! I am very pleased right now. Now, if that Civic would just sell also...!!!

The Elated Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Congrats!
    Cool, that didn't take too long, really.

Do you know who they work with? I think Sixt has a branch in that area.
    He said all the majors like Alamo, Enterprise, Hertz, Sixt...basically a similar company...we will see. Told him I am ready to start in the morning. I should be at Hertz tomorrow if my crew chiefwas fair but I ain't and he isn't either...he basically lied to my face when he said he'd be fair! It's been 2 weeks since I was last there and i know his favorite few have been there numerous times since I was. Decided not to call him today to see what he'd do...and he did what I knew he would...nothing!
    I owe USA nothing anymore, but they owe me $ which I will have sent to me but plan to just be quiet and see where that leads. I did learn a lot there so was worth the crap I guess but will watch myself at this new gig and not tell the others much about my life...too much personal stuff can come back to bite ya in the [non-permissible content removed].! Will be smart this time and also quiet! Just hello and goodbye and not much more...and I will be their best worker, I promise.

The Sandman

edited November 2013
    Hopefully they will pay you before they collapse.

Good luck getting to try on some cool cars in the new job.

My local Avis/Budget had a new unplated Infiniti Q50 sitting on their lot - I wonder if it is going into the fleet. I've read National has them.
    Think this new gig is going to work out fine. The folks I worked with yesterday seemed nice enough. Was given some advice by the chase driver, whose name is "Chase", don't let the big guy know I am still with USA as he will fire you if you are not exclusively his. I let it slip that I was/worked at USA...but have remained quiet since then about my other work. Not quitting anywhere as of yet because the Hertz gig may still come in. Called on Monday to inquire about it so they know I still want it. So right now, I am at the new company and doing nothing with USA since they haven't called either since Sunday's decline. Turns out the new boss was a unfair as the old...think the new place will be fairer cause the chase driver doesn't choose his crew, the dispatcher does.
    Did 2 trips from Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. We meet in West Palm so went around the lake to get there. Worked for Avis and they take us to a field and say to the 12 of us..."take any car with gas"! Large selection so get in a '13 Fusion but no gas...the Enclave I wanted was taken. See a Volvo S60 buried in the back so choose that and it was pretty sweet actually...my flash drive played through the sound system beautifully so was pleased. On the way back from Lauderdale for trip 2 which began about 8 p m, it started to pour. Get back to the field and there's much less of a selection. The '13 Escape had no gas do decided on moving out a '13 Mazda3 hatch to get a '13 Explorer which was a great choice as the rains were getting heavier now. Again the Ford system was able to read my flash drive, so I was a happy camper. Got back to Lauderdale at 12:00 but had construction traffic plus airport crowds so back to West Palm at 12:50 and home by 1:30. Not a bad 1st day I'd say.
    This company works tolls differently though. No using the Sunpass or express lanes...we lay out the cash and get a receipt. we write our initials and the make and model of vehicle and then hand it all in to the chase driver who has a wad of $1.00 bills for reimbursement...so we need to carry cash with us. So far, not a problem. Also, all amounts for trips are figured from West Palm Beach so the prices are a bit different but this is to be expected. They have been busy daily they say which is good. Also, they ask you when you are working if you are available for the next day. If you say yes, they will call you if there is any. I like this system actually because you put yourself on call the days you want to work. And if you didn't work that day, you call between 5 and 6 to let them know that you are available for the next day and if they know of a gig, they will tell you so. The communication is 100% better here, so far, so we'll see. My chase driver is a pretty cool guy to which helps. Again, the age groups are all over the place...some retirees like me and some younger folks..men and women. Behind us sat 3 guys who spoke Spanish the whole time but I heard them speak pretty good English every so often. All in all, I was pleased and didn't say too much about myself...and plan to keep it that way. Learned a valuable lesson at USA to not tell to much about your life and to not get too friendly with anyone. Makes life so much easier.
    Doubt I will hear from USA, just have a feeling, as I hate to quit because if they can still stay in business, which I seriously doubt, I might need them again sometime. Decided to not "burn that bridge" quite yet! And if Hertz comes through, I can keep this new gig plus Hertz for the time being. Now that would be the best of both worlds for me!

The Sandman

Sounds fun. I see Sixt has some good rental deals on S60 from time to time as well. An odd rental choice - it has crept up to the "luxury" category at National, but is a "premium" at Sixt.

I think you should quit USA. You owe them nothing, you'll never need them for a job again, and it sounds like it could create drama in the new job if you aren't officially gone.
    Tend to agree with you here but they haven't called since Sunday's turn down and my doc appointment on Monday. And I was on call yesterday for the new place and no call. Called earlier and left my name and number to say I am available tomorrow so we'll see where this goes. Won't quit one until I know the other one is a go. And of course I really want that Hertz gig so...we will see! Just staying the course here and will probably just leave USA after my check comes as the new boss don't seem to eager to call me yet. And the old won't because of his pride...so here we are. And now that I am so close to purchasing a new vehicle, I need to work...and I want to also, I want to work.
    Getting Hertz would be the best thing for me personally, the best and I do want it...they know I want it. Now they just have to decide if I am worthy of the position I guess...I know I can do it and they know I can. So why I haven't been chosen yet is a real mystery, what do I not have that they are looking for. I know what they have hired, the one guy so far, and think I would make a better employee as I am just not the kind to talk, and talk...and talk, all the time. I talk when necessary and when it is appropriate...I can't talk just to talk. And I won't be a pest and beg, they know I want the position, the hiring guy knows it so i have to hope that they have all the info they need to make an informed decision here.
    So am on call again 24/7 and just hope they call. the chase driver seemed happy with my performance on Tuesday and I thought I got along with the rest of the crew I was with. Now the ball is in their court. The drive is a bit far but if there is work, I am there. Use me and I will work as hard as anyone but just give me a fair shot, that's all I ask...fairness.

The Sandman

Just remember how that guy has jerked you around. Finding a new job isn't instant.

I saw a rental Regal today - those are kind of rare these days. The Q50 is still at the Avis/Budget lot too.
    The new gig is o k so far and I think I am going to stay. The old one also has an office in West Palm and will try to work out of there instead of Lauderdale. Got to drive the new Impala and Forte today and both were very good with the Impala being simply awesome! More when I have time as they ran out of license plates today so we have to go back tomorrow to finish up. But, think this new place is going to work out just fine!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited December 2013

The last minute Hertz rental worked out fine. Reserved a "Corolla or similar" and used the company code; another discount code didn't work for some reason. Got to LAX an hour later than expected and used the video kiosk. The nice woman in Oklahoma City said that no cars seemed to be available and then started checking around. Then she offered me a half-price upgrade on a 2014 Camaro convertible. Sounded good to me so I didn't ask about a hybrid. It was an RS and had plenty of options except NAV. That was fine too since we had already preloaded our Garmin with the addresses we needed. $55 for the weekend. Only glitch was getting the prepaid gas refunded because the check-in person in the lot had trouble. Turns out the receipt that was printed in the lot was in some other guy's name (the no-show for the Camaro probably). That took a few minutes to sort out.

The car itself was fun and the weather was nice enough to take the top down on the surface streets. The heated seats came in handy, since the temps were coolish morning and evenings. Liked the heads up display a lot and everything worked well. Bit of wind noise from the top. Handling and power was more than we needed - after a day of my usual rental car abuse my wife mentioned that a Buick would have been a smoother ride and easier to get in an out of.

Burned about 3/4ths of a tank but didn't check the mpg. The change oil light came on within 100 miles and had to look at it all weekend, except for the "loose gas cap" light. Checked that but the cap seemed fine to me, but managed to get rid of that message at least.

Pretty painless rental and lots of shuttle buses, no undue pressure to buy the insurance, and I didn't think through the prepaid gas (price was right but had too much gas left, and I think there was a handling fee).

There's a pic over in
    Road Trip!

Been a super busy week but my back gave out today and missed the phone call at 8:15 to come into work. Needed the day off anyways. Met the old boss and some of the crew at Miami airport last Friday and pretty awkward...some were friendly, some just ignored me which hurt. The boss and this lady I became friends with totally ignored me and wouldn't shake my hand, they just walked away from me! Am not going back to that company so do not care but still, at least be cordial like I was, no hard feelings! Jerks!
    No word on that Hertz gig so I do not think I got it. Saw the hertz guy also on Friday and when I asked about it, he squirmed a bit which just told me they hired others and didn't want me...not going to keep bugging them since they obviously don't want my [non-permissible content removed]! They lost a great employee and they will realize it eventually!!! Very unhappy here!!

The Sandman B)

Been a busy week and heard today was busy. Orlando the next few days and was told the next few weeks will be majorly busy and crazy. As long as my spine holds up, I am ready to roll!! Have had some interesting vehicles lately...new Forte, new Impala, newisk GLK 350 MB small ute...some great rides! Still love the Dodge/Chrysler minivans as they do drive smoothly...always try to get a Town & Country though since they all have SAT radio! Think this new company is going to work out much better and the increase in work/money will pay for the extra petrol to get there, 38 miles vs. 26 like before. Well worth the extra 24/day actually and we park in an actual safe parking lot and not in a grassy field that floods after any rain. A better place to work all the way around so the extra distance will not be an issue just i need a bit more time to get there. All is good!!!

The Sandman ;)

Really like this new company and turns out that USA also has a group up in West Palm so I asked my friend to let that driver know he can call me if he needs a body...she gave him my number and all so I can work at both places if they need me. Very happy again with work and hope my spine will cooperate unlike today when it just plum gave out on me so I had to lay low all day long! I have to listen to it or I will be unable to work at all since walking is a major problem when it goes out on me!
    But so far, this new company is a more fair place to work and we seem to have plenty of work though there are more drivers to choose from here. Do not think that will be an issue as long as the work is there...and now that we are in season, there will be plenty to go around for all of us!

The Sandman :)

Today I read that Sixt is coming to Las Vegas, and will have a very diverse fleet - including CLA and S-class. If they are actually renting the new 2014 style S-class for the claimed ~$125/day, I am extremely tempted to take a trip down and drive one for a few days just for the heck of it.

Sounds like a steal of a deal. Sometimes last minute upgrades can be the way to go, I'm always afraid if I do so, I'll arrive to a lot full of minivans and Rios.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    The last minute Hertz rental worked out fine. Reserved a "Corolla or similar"
    Pretty painless rental and lots of shuttle buses,
    There's a pic over in
    Road Trip!

@fintail said:
    Sounds like a steal of a deal.

Oh good to hear - I don't rent often enough to really know. And a minivan wouldn't kill me lol.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2013

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Oh good to hear - I don't rent often enough to really know. And a minivan wouldn't kill me lol.

One time, despite choosing midsize every time, I got 3 minivans in a row. Guess I'll start calling that the 'Steve hat trick'.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I did get a minivan at Dulles a few years back. My sister creamed it with her Forester in her driveway and I had a bit of a fight with Dollar over lose of use. Rode piggyback on the insurance company denial of that claim and they gave up.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Well if it was a Dollar van it probably deserved it - just kidding!

Have been very busy with Avis and Enterprise lately going from Daytona to Cape Canaveral and Orlando to Lauderdale. Have driven some great vehicles...Kia Sorrento, VW Jetta & Passat, Chrysler Town & Country, Hyundai Sonata, New Chevy Impala, Dodge Caravan, Nissan Quest to name a few and most relatively new! Been kept pretty busy and even working tomorrow morning! Glad to be working a lot more and happy I left the old company. Doubt I will be going back and since my kid lives 10 minutes from work, have been bunking there a few nights to save on time and petrol. Makes a big difference!

_The Sandman :)B) _

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

sandman - have you ever transported a Nissan cube? Curious about your thoughts on the driving dynamics. You probably haven't seen one - they're barely staying in production. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I've seen them on the road and once at Avis but so far, have never had a chance to drive one. We did 4 short runs from Lauderdale down to Sunny Isles or North Miami on the beach side. Drove a couple Chrysler 200's, a Ford Focus hatch and a Ford Mustang. There were 5 guys and we brought 20 vehicles down and I swear that people were waiting for us to walk in with them keys! Those vehicles weren't even cleaned up as folks just wanted their rides and to get on their way. When we got back to base, the big guy handed us each a $20 spot and said "thanks" for a great day! Told him it wasn't necessary but he said take it and then said to us all to go home! Said yes for tomorrow but am taking Friday off to spend with my daughter and take her clothes shopping. She needs work clothes and asked me to come along. Also I want to be around just in case the lawyer or broker needs me for something as I want to do those distributions that day or Monday at the latest. Best to be available in case I need to sign any more documents or answer more questions. it's time already!

Got the call a little bit ago to report tomorrow at 10 which isn't too late. Not sure what we're doing tomorrow but hope we do Orlando again or work around Daytona and the Cape. Key West would be absolutely awesome actually but it's been awhile since we've been down there. Doing lot to lot isn't that much fun anymore. Will be talking with that guy about a possible Manheim position after the 1st of the year...sounds to be a perfect gig for me and a lot of fun. Have no problem doing long distance driving and staying overnight in a hotel...as long as I can stop and stretch my back every few hours, I'm good to go. The family is totally against me even thinking about doing this but I'd love to try it a couple of times just to see what it's all about. I hear the $ is very good and I'd like that cause right now the pay ain't that great for what we do and this new company pays even less than the previous one. Sure, I am local and home nightly but want to try something new and make a lot more income while I can.
    Hoping to get to drive some really nice vehicles tomorrow, some more upscale stuff actually like some Mercedes or BMW's...the few I have driven have been fun even though some of the stuff is a bit different to learn...I like vehicles that are all super easy to operate...hate complicated!!!

Local Budget/Avis was packed this morning, maybe not an empty space. Altimas as far as I could see. Nothing interesting at all on the lot.

Packed, really? Avis at Ft. Lauderdale was pretty empty yesterday but suspect by Friday morning, things are going to get super busy with tomorrow being folks last day to soak up the warmth here. The boss told us the weekend will get crazy and be ready to work. Need tomorrow and Saturday off but besides that,I am good to go every other day. Best thing is that if not available, one just doesn't call in between 5 and 6...guess if they need bodies, they will call us. If they really need me, I could go in Saturday but my kid needs me so she comes first.
    Found out my old boss gave me a bad review at the Hertz gig I really wanted...a shame to because I was a good fit. He's just pissed because I left his team. He's a real jerk!

The Sandman :)B)

Yep, packed here - I think a lot of people here rent cars around Christmas. Really plain lineup too, I don't think there was anything on the lot in "premium" or higher.
    Regarding the old boss, sometimes it is best to leave off a reference when applying for a job. One never knows what a jerk will do.

Exactly our thinking so I took it off...and applied to the Hertz job in West Palm. Not sure what will happen here but we'll see. I am sad that this guy is probably the reason I missed out on a possibly great job...it downright stinks!
    Just called the old company and let them know that if this guy opens his mouth again, they will have a problem...legal! Told her I think he ruined another job for me and I can not have this nonsense! Explained how they weren't using me, the reason I left and that I never wanted to leave in the first place but I was being treated unfairly! I really do think he persuaded Hertz not to hire me to which really stinks!
    Life will go on...just called into work and said my errands were done for the day and if they need a driver this afternoon, they should call me. Will volunteer for tomorrow though and just relax the rest of today.
    So glad I called the old company and let them know the situation because they are ultimately responsible for their employees...this kind of nonsense can not be tolerated by anyone as it is a bit slanderous I think.

An old co-worker called to wish me Happy New Years and we got to talking. He proposed that the reason I was called the least was because they thought I needed the income less than the others. He also said that buying a new vehicle worked against me. Told him that was bunk because I did buy after I left the company and having a pension is the same as those who had social security...they weren't treated the same as me. Told him he was just wrong here. If I didn't need/want to work, why would I keep coming whenever they called me.
    I just hope now they can leave me alone and hopefully I can get that Hertz position in West Palm.

Long day yesterday. One trip West Palm to downtown Miami, Biscayne Blvd. exit and then four more from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the same place. Drove 4 Town & Country's and an Altima. Started at 8:30 and ended at 7:30 with some waiting time thrown in. They played a joke on two of us newbies and had us believing that there was a 6th run from West Palm back down and they got away with it till the bitter end...man, the whole van fell out over this. Must admit...they got us both good!!! Guess we have now been officially accepted by the rest of the group as one of the team! It was pretty funny actually!!!
    No work today and have heard from others that weekend work is pretty rare. heard that my other company was pretty busy doing lot to lot today and saw a few of them at Lauderdale airport yesterday. Again, some were friendly and some not so. But, I will always say hello with a smile on my face. And funny thing is if they called and asked me to do a job, I would as I'm here for the $, that's it. Just wish the drama would finally go away already! And after my conversation the other day, think it will!

Infiniti Q50 was sitting at Budget/Avis again - it must be their lone highline car, rented out a lot so rarely seen.

edited January 2014

@fintail said:
    Sounds like a steal of a deal. Sometimes last minute upgrades can be the way to go,

Well, I screwed my math up (no surprise there...).

The $55 was the base rate and the Camaro upgrade was $15 a day, plus more taxes. So it was more like $92 for the weekend. Good thing it didn't rain. :)

Still not bad. Hertz seems to charge pretty high prices for specialty vehicles, so you probably paid a lot less than had you booked the Camaro specifically.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    The $55 was the base rate and the Camaro upgrade was $15 a day, plus more taxes. So it was more like $92 for the weekend. Good thing it didn't rain. :)

edited January 2014

If Hertz hadn't billed separately for the upgrade, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the "real" bill when skimming my Visa statement. The agent said the usual upgrade would have been $30 a day. Then there was the $46 in gas I burned.

I didn't blink at spending $55 for lunch for two the next day at La Jolla, so putting things in perspective, it was a fun splurge.

I have driven a few brand new Camaro's from the dealer to the rental lots and they are a blast to drive...very quick and I really liked the heads up display.
    Seems as the drama at my old company has been solved...basically I reached out and communicated and got things straightened out. Lots of miscommunication which I knew was the problem here...lots of "he said, she said" going on. All is good now, I hope, and we can all now move on!