Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Next year there will be a 2.4L Ecotec 170 hp Hybrid GM system also.
  • desfariadesfaria Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Saturn VUE 05 for about 2 months and just noticed that the air conditioning automatically turns on with the heating control set to heat (floor vent not defrost position). Just before I take it back to the dealer, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. It concerns me that it might be a design defect and by running the air conditioning (when you do not need it) you reduce your gas milage and if it is a design defect a lot of people would be burning extra gas. This kind of problem is easy to miss as I only picked it up when I noticed that the air was noticeably cooler when the ventilation selector is moved to heat (does not do it one intermediate stop counter-clockwise).
    It's likely a switching issue. The a/c should not come on for heat going to floor or through the front of the dash. Some systems do come on for defrost as it clears windows faster and better. I doubt this would be the case for all VUEs as a design flaw, I've never heard of it before.
  • betsyo2betsyo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 VUE V6 AWD that I purchased used in February of 04. Thankfully it still had its 36000 mile warranty. I had to take it in for one problem but thankfully it was fixed under warranty. Sadly, my warranty ran out about 6000 miles ago. Last month my steering wheel was turning very tight and my service light came on. I took it into Saturn three weeks ago and they informed me that my entire steering column has to be replaced. You bet it came with a hefty hefty price too. I was wondering if anyone is having steering problems? It feels just like there is no power steering whatsoever. :mad:
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Hello. The windshield washer on my 2005 VUE went out. It just makes a real light spray and there is plenty of fluid in the resevior. Everything else about the VUE is wonderful, though. I will have it looked at during the next service visit.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major daily newspaper is looking to speak with people who’ve purchased a crossover/sports wagon in the last few months. Specifically, vehicles like the Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, or Toyota Highlander.

If you have, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, September 27, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your recent crossover/sport wagon purchase experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Well the 2006 VUE is back on the short list of small SUV's. I had scratched it off because it was too expensive and still kind of cheap looking inside. I test drove a 2006 today and I must say I was very impressed. I drove a V6 FWD model. For about 22K the vehicle is pretty loaded. That is way cheaper than a Torrent, Escape, Equinox, and the VUE has 250hp to boot. I thought it drove pretty good, very responsive powertrain, decent brakes, and pretty decent handling. I was not able to really stretch its legs so to say but I got a taste of it. Overall the 2006 VUE is much better than previous versions, and is even cheaper than last year.
    Good to hear. I have seen pictures and the 2006 does look a lot better.
    How, exactly, can the 2006 VUE be "much better than previous versions" when nothing changed but a few cosmetics? I was under the impression that the 06 model was simply a restyle and not a redesign. I've been in a couple of 06 models and aside from changed headlights and grille on the front, the addition of that big old ugly chrome piece on the liftgate (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess) and the roof rails off the Relay mounted onto the roof, I don't see any difference in my 2005 model and the new one. On the inside, I see updated radio controls and a new center console, but that's about it. We have been very happy with our 2005 VUE. If the updates on the 2006 make it more desirable to you, then go for it!
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I was referring to the interior and to the price of the VUE when I mentioned that it is much better than previous versions. I did look into the 2005 VUE, and the interior was better than 03 and 04 models, but still looked a little cheap and not much interior storage. The 06 VUE's have a little more upscale interior and a larger center console between the seats. Is it Lexus like, NO, but it is a very good effort on GM's part. Also what makes the 06 better is the lower price. A well equipped VUE is cheaper than an Equinox. That was not the case last year. The exterior changes look a little better too, more chrome, and an actual front grille.
    Interior is mostly new. Exterior is just refreshed. I understand there have been some mechanical refinements and more sound proofing has been done. Further the 2006 VUEs have lower MSRPs so yes there should be a difference.
    Actually, this is a GM thing across all the brands, if I'm not mistaken. What GM has done is lower MSRPs, but eliminate or lower rebates. When we bought our VUE in January, we got three rebates (including the $1500 Owner Loyalty). So, if they lower MSRPs but lower rebates, then you're right where you started from. But, like I said before, we love our VUE, our 4th Saturn. If the changes for 2006 make it more appealing to you, then buy one!
    At Saturn a lower MSRP means a lot more than elsewhere because it's widely believed that MSRP is sale price as that is what Saturn sold it self as. With the lower MSRPs should come additional interest, especially from people searching on the internet (ex. for an SUV under $20K).
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The 3.0L V6 has been used in the L-series sedans for 3 years and is reliable. It's actually a GM Europe design that has been used there for a number of years also. The auto V6 I drove seemed to shift very smooth.

Have not heard of any problems with the VUE so far. Saturn quality at Spring Hill is pretty good.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Saturn Updates Vue Red Line for 2006 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    what kind of mileage r most of u geting i'm looking at a vue 2006 stick shift what can i expect on mpg's? i now own the new HHR AND THE MILEAGE IS POOR in city, hopeing i can maybe make a deal on a new 06 vue.
  • drivvendrivven Member Posts: 54
    We've got an '04 VUE FWD with the Honda V6. Our highway mileage varies from a high of 29 to a low of probably 22-23. So much depends on wind, terrain, speed, and how you fill the tank that it's difficult to come up with a steady figure. All in all, we've been quite pleased, but we can always "wish" for more. I will tell you this, on the Interstate we'll cruise between 70 and 75 which cuts down on the mpg somewhat, can't say how much but perhaps 2+mpg over say 60mph.

Around town we get 18-19 which is really pretty decent. The tag said 20 for city and 28 for the highway.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Let me understand this, you're going to trade in a brand new vehicle - HHR, lose thousands of $'s in depreciation, to get a few more mpg? The HHR is so new, you can't have many miles on it? You do know that until the engine is broken in, you will get worse mileage?

You don't spend thousands of $'s to save a few hundred $'s / year.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I posted over on tires, tires, tires, but never got a response. So I'll try here just in case anybody is still reading this forum:

It's time to change tires on our Saturn VUE, and I'm seeing that the choices are limited with the stock P235/65R16 101S M&S type.

So I'm wondering if I can go with P215/70R16's? There are a lot more and better choices in that size.

Has anybody on here switched to the 215/70 tires on their AWD VUE's?

Thanks.
  • vintagevintage Member Posts: 5
    a/c comes on in every position except vent, there you must press the AC request button to make it come on. By removing the AC clutch relay in the fuse box under the hood the AC will not come on ever, good to do for spring, fall and winter, better mile age with no compressor running also.just dont lose the relay, I keep it in the console for hot summer days. :)
  • johnbjohnb Member Posts: 32
    I haven't had to change tires on my VUE yet, but you bring up an interesting discussion.

You're probably already aware of this, but the Pxxx number is the width of the tire tread in millimeters and the /xx is the ratio of sidewall height to width.

So in the stock P235/65R16 case, you have a sidewall height of 235 * 0.65 = 152.75 millimeters (approx. 6 inches)

To get the closest varient in the 70-series tire, take 152.75 and divide by your new ratio (0.70):
    152.75 / 0.70 = 218.21 millimeters.

Of course, we know that 218 is not a traditional tire size, but 215 is (as you've already noted).

Overall, the P215/70R16 will be approximately [2*(218.21-215)] = 6.42 millimeters shorter than the stock tire. (Remember to multiply by 2 since sidewall height appears twice in the height of the tire.) That's a meer 1/4 inch shorter than the stock tire, or a sidewall height difference of roughly 1/8 inch.

Basically, the trade-offs will be that your speedometer will read a tiny bit fast which will make your percieved fuel mileage "appear" to go up a fraction, and the tread width will be about 3/4 inch narrower than the P235/65R16 tires.

My guess is that a worn P235/65R16 will have about the same residual height (now that the tread is wore down) as a new P215/70R16.

Mathmatically, I don't see a reason why you COULDN'T switch to a P215/70R16 (given the trade-offs I've mentioned), but I haven't done it myself so I can't speak to whether or not it is valid solution.

But don't take my word for it. Double check my math and do your own research to verify my humble claims.

For what it's worth, now that I've completed this math exercise, I will definitely consider replacing my stock VUE tires with the P215/70R16s if this tire size is more cost-effective than the stock P235/65R16 tires...
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Thanks for the reply. I've got myself convinced that the 215/70 tires will be fine. I had some good discussions on other car web sites and pretty much everybody thinks this is fine, along with several who have already done this. So in a month or so I'll be putting on 215/70's. Thanks.
  • workingdogworkingdog Member Posts: 1
    I went to the International Car Show in San Francisco yesterday and saw the Vue up close and personal. I also looked at the Pontiac Torrent, a similar sized SUV. I really like the Torrent styling and interior, but I understand it has the same mechanicals as the Chevy Equinox, including a old design pushrod 3.4L V6 built in China that only generates 185 hp and gets mileage in the low 20’s. The Vue has the modern 250 hp Honda V6 that gets 28 mpg highway. But the Vue’s interior is so-so and the back seat is just plain uncomfortable. So mechanically, I’m leaning towards the Vue, but style-wise, the Torrent is pulling me that direction. Any suggestions from this board to push me in one direction or the other would be appreciated.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    I'm leaning towards the Torrent because I have GM card points, but I hate GM putting that crappy engine in there. If you feel the need for speed and slightly better MPG, maybe look at VUE RED Line. The interior looks a bit better.(seats anyway) Have you looked at the new Suzuki Grand Vitara? A great bargin over the GM trio.
  • larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    but I understand it has the same mechanicals as the Chevy Equinox, including a old design pushrod 3.4L V6 built in China that only generates 185 hp and gets mileage in the low 20’s

Either you have the wrong information, or I've been living in a cave. That 3.4 V6 you mentioned...built in China? I'll have to check that one out. it's been a GM staple for years. One of their better engines. I have one in my 2001 Olds Silhouette and get close to 30 MPG hiway; of course that's under ideal conditions. The worse I ever got was 23. It's a sweet motor.

Haven't heard of the Torrent. :blush: I'll check it out as soon as I send this.

Cheers,

Larry
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    The 3.4L is a dead engine except for the Nox and Torrent. Only the 3.5L is being produced in Mexico and NY engine plants for the Chevy Maxx, the mini-vans, G6, etc. Check the Nox thread, many are reporting poor gas mileage.
    The 3.4 is indeed made in China. North American production is done. It's mostly the same motor though. We have it in out 2004 Montana and it's decent and efficient.
  • jlogrecojlogreco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 VUE 4 cyl auto and i drive highway all the time. I have 2300 miles on the car and i am averaging 22.3 mpg. I am also having trouble with my fuel gauge misreading.

I have filled up almost every time below the 1/4 and I have only used 10-12 gallons max. 16.5 gallon tank

I have had both fuel tank sensors replaced so i am thinking a mis calibrated fuel gauge.

I am ready to call in the "lemon law"
    Sounds like you are having the same symptoms I have with my 2004 VUE 4cyl 5speed. My average mileage is still down around 23mpg, though I can now get as much as 26 on the highway. And I have 29k miles now.

My gas gauge does a nose dive after I get below 1/4 tank. I haven't figured out if it is a mis-calibrated gauge or if my VUE starts sucking gas like crazy, but either way I usually just fill up when I get down below 1/4. I can now get 300 miles out of a tank, which sucks overall but is an improvement over when we first bought it new.

Please report back on what you find out and/or what Saturn does for you if you contact them. Thanks.
  • bgkywkubgkywku Member Posts: 2
    I have owned 2 Saturns in the past (1996 SL and 2002 ION), and I have always experienced good luck with these cars and the service provided by Saturn.

I just traded in the ION for a used 2005 VUE (2.2L - 4cyl - 5-speed manual) from our local Saturn dealer. We wanted this car immediately after the test drive - it only has 11,000 miles on it, it was a great price, and we just loved how the vehicle felt and handled.

We bought it last week - and so far - we are relatively happy. But - we are experiencing one problem - and I was wondering if anyone has encountered this:

Over the last few days a slight "knocking" noise is coming from the engine when idling (mainly after the engine has been running for at least 5 minutes). We can only hear the knocking sound in the cabin of the car - and I can't hear it when standing outside of the car, even when listening to the engine with the hood up or listening from underneath the vehicle. The knocking is not extremely loud - but it is noticeable.

We took it to Saturn twice (since it is still under warranty) - and the first time, the technician said he couldn't hear the knocking sound. Today, the technician did hear something, and made some adjustment to the engine - but the sound is still there. I brought it back again later this afternoon, and we were told that the knocking sound is normal for all VUE's when they are idling.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks so much for the help - any advice or guidance is really appreciated!
    Humm, I can't say that I've ever noticed an engine knock at idle on our VUE (2004 4cyl 5sp). I will listen again this weekend when I drive it next (the wifey drives it during the week).
  • bama46bama46 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder, standard transmission. The clutch went out at just over 30,000 miles. The vehicle is still under the 36,000 mile bumber to bumper warranty. I contacted the Saturn Dealer and was told the clutch was covered under the warranty. After the Saturn mechanic looked at the vehicle, they declared the problem to be fair wear and quoted me a price of $1,400 to repair the clutch. I have driven standard shifts all my life and never had a problem with a clutch going out under 100,000 miles. I contacted Saturn customer service and they immediately transferred me to MIC who immediately reconnected me with Saturn customer service. Saturn then turned it over to an area representative who again declared it fair wear and would not honor the warranty. They said the clutch was burned, which, it was. It heated up when it failed. My thoughts are that the pressure plate may have been weak and allowed the clutch to slip until it failed. Has anyone faced a similar problem with their Vue and, if so, how was it handled?
  • bh05bh05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

We have the same knocking problem. We just went to the garage last week and we were also told that the knocking sound is normal???? We are not very satisfied with this. They told us that we were not the only one complaining about it.
    [Specs: 2004 VUE, 4cyl 5sp, 28,600 miles]

I drove our VUE yesterday and last night, and did not observe any noticeable knocking sound within the cabin at idle or under normal driving conditions. I will be on the look-out for it now though.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you all change the oil in your VUEs (especially the ones that are knocking)? I thought I read in the owner's manual that the 2004 VUE has a "oil change light" that will illuminate when the oil gets dirty, but I don't trust it so I have mine changed every 4K-5K miles no matter what.
  • jazzyjoejazzyjoe Member Posts: 11
    Hello:

16 days ago traded in my Black/Tan Cloth 2003 AWD 4-cyl VUE for a 2006 Bremuda Green/Grey Cloth AWD LT Equinox with Power Sunroof, 6-Cd changer & Side Airbags. I was sad to see the VUE go :( as I was the original owner with 67,000 miles on it and with the exception of routine maintenance and TSB capaigns never had any problems ;) . The reason I let it go was because of the fact that it did have 67,000 miles and I was out of warranty and I personally wanted something new. I strongly considered a new 6 cyl AWD VUE, however Chevy was offering a Red Tag Sale plus $1000 cash rebate vs Saturn's $500 Target Gift Card. I can only hope my Equinox is as good to me as once was my VUE.
  • bama46bama46 Member Posts: 2
    Further Update! Saturn did decide to honor the warranty concerning the clutch problem. Please disregard the above.

Happy Holidays!
    Hold the horses--settle down! My 2005 VUE also says to refuel with 4 gallons left in the tank--or still 1/4 tank on hand. As far as I can tell, it's the norm. Besides, how can you "lemon law" a car over the gas gauge?
  • paigesdadpaigesdad Member Posts: 2
    Just traded in my 03 Vibe on a 04 V6 FWD Vue. The deal was too good to pass up. Blue, 24k, moonroof, power/heated seats, 6 speaker CD, like new condition. I paid $14,875 and added a 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty for another $1100 for a total of $15,975.
    So far I have driven it about 400 miles and just love it. The Honda V6 was the big selling point for me. I am averaging just under 25 mpg which I consider to be excellent for this type of vehicle.
    Now my question. I have a rather loud noise coming from the front end. It sounds like rubber rubbing together and only happens on road imperfections during slow speeds (like going over speed bumps for example). Its still under the factory warranty so it will be going to the dealer next week. I am just curious as to what it could be.
  • kgebkgeb Member Posts: 1
    bgkywku
    I just purchased a 2005 Saturn Vue FWD this past summer, I have just started noticing the knocking sound (which sounds like it's coming from the back) this winter. I have had my oil changed every 3500 miles. I was going to call Saturn and see what they say about the problem. I have seen on MSN.com another Saturn Vue owner has had the same problem. It's unfortunate, the car otherwise is wonderful.
    My wife usually drives our 2005 VUE FWD, but I have driven it a couple of times the last couple of days and mine makes no knocking sound--or any other strange sound for that matter. Hope it turns out to be something small! Good luck on this.
  • bgkywkubgkywku Member Posts: 2
    kgeb-

we just drove from Kentucky to Massachusetts over the holidays - and the VUE was awesome. With 4 passengers and a loaded trunk-space, we got 27 mpg and the car handled awesome!

But - we still hear this annoying knocking sound when the vehicle is idling - and I agree - it is coming from the back somewhere. I had our VUE in the shop 4 times last month for this problem - and the last time they replaced something called a purge solenoid in the back of the vehicle (I probably spelled solenoid wrong - sorry if I did). It sounded better for a week - but the knocking returned, louder than ever. This leads me to belive that my service department doesn't have a clue what the problem is - or it is something major and they don't want to fix it.

We're stuck - we can't sell the car or trade it in without taking a huge financial hit - so if you hear of anything that might rectify the problem, please post a response. I will keep monitoring this board - and if I get the problem resolved - I'll also post what they did to fix the problem.

Good luck.
    "or it is something major and they don't want to fix it."

I doubt that's it. Dealers make a lot of money off of billing for warranty labor hours. If you find the cause, please let us know!
    Greenline info for the VUE is trickling out with pictures due tomorrow. Mileage from the 170hp 2.4L Ecotec is said to be a whopping 27 city with a list under U$23K

Stay tuned VUE fans. :)
    I saw that. BUT, with mileage only about 5 mpg better than the standard 4 cylinder VUE, I wonder if the Greenline is worth it? My 4 cylinder VUE cost about three grand less than this figure for the Greenline. At 5 more mpg, it will take several years for the gas savings to warrant the cost. Maybe it'll work out better for someone who drives more than I do. My 2005 VUE will turn 1 year old on MLK Day and it is just now getting close to 10,000 miles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • hatemyvuehatemyvue Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem right now. Its getting fixed as I type this. Its the Front Sway bar links that have seized up. Looking on the internet to find other w/the same problem. My car is just out of the 3 year warranty. The cost of repair is $190 for parts and labor.
    Must be on mileage as you are not out of a 3 year warranty on a 2004 model. I guess I'm the lucky one here as I seem to be the only one with no noises.
    Well, if you spend $2000 a year on gas and you save 20% with a greenline (vs. a regular VUE), that saves you $400. This means you will pay for the $2000 hybrid feature in 5 years. If gas prices go up, it will be faster.

Not bad.. government rebates would help. I think the US has them, nothing here in Canada.
    Sure, if you spend that much on gas in a year. My 2005 VUE turns 1 year old today and has less than 9900 miles on the odometer. It stickered for a little more than $19k and we paid about $17k with rebates (thanks $1500 GM Owner Loyalty rebate!) and I get about 23 mpg around town. That's about 430 gallons of gas at $2.26 per gallon is $971.18. If I drove a Greenline, I would have used about 330 galons of gas, costing $745.80. At a savings of $225 a year in gas bills, it would take a mighty long time for me to get my money back.

Now, someone driving 20,000 miles a year would be another story...
  • leitnerjleitnerj Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    Being a newbie I decided on the VUE due in part to what I read here. Realizing I would see more negative than positive. You can call it a discussion forum, but these things always so dings more than props. Anyway I read and studied and realized I had other choices. I called several dealerships and spoke anonymously to service managers and even some sales folks. All who seemed to own a VUE. That told me something. So here I was trying to decide between a CVR and the VUE. I called the Honda dealer up and asked for someone in sales... They must be selling crate loads of these things and didn't need to sell me one. So I opted for the great deal (or so I think) on the VUE.

Here are the stats: 2005 | 4cyl | 5 speed | Sun roof | Roof Rack option | PS | PB | PW | CD | 6 Speakers, basically loaded w/4,000 miles on it. Price $15,999 Dealer listed it for $19,999. Was it a baited price? Probably. But that's about what I paid for my 2 year old Camry in 1998. So, I was thinking better about the deal. Obviously it's too early to tell if I'll have thumping in the rear or steering wheel rub or clutch problems. But the price over everything else made it seem like a pretty good deal to me.

I was a repeat customer at the dealership, and the first car they sold me was not a Saturn. So they hooked me on good service to begin with. This experience was no different. My story will obviously unfold. So far, so good. Looking to get between 26 and 28 MPG will take a mid range trip this weekend to be sure.

If there are any hints of things to do or ensure the dealership takes care of before my 3 year 36K mile warrantee runs out, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Jeff Leitner