Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• mikebutkusmikebutkus Posts: 16
    Saturn decided to go with ELECTRIC STEERING... it is kind of funky... you get used to it. Parking the car you will notice the electronic steering is not powerfull enought.
    But at 22 mpg city/highway... and 25+ HWY with just regular gas, my 250 HP '04 AWD is a fun car with 30K on it.
  • mikebutkusmikebutkus Posts: 16
    They are a 50/50 deal.. the 36K warranty stinks. My former Outback had a bad trans at 40K (Subaru has powertrain to 60K) timing belt problems and piston knock problems. My local Subaru gave me a loaner for the repairs and fixed everything. At 58K I traded it for my '04 AWD Vue.
    ABS, sunroof, stereo, power windows any of that stuff GM made COULD go bad. At $80+ an hour for repair work... it's your choice. Extended warrants also cover hotels, towing and stuff like that. If you don't drive far from your home... it may be a wash. 200 miles from home and your car dies you need to rent a car, tow it (car insurance sometimes covers that but that may be for accidents only) and get it fixed. The warranty company could help there. Be warned that some extended warranties don't cover certain parts like emission parts or throttle bodies. There are web pages to inform you what you need covered and what to look out for. You should be able to find one for $1700. See if your union at work, credit union or any association are able to help find one. Some companies make you PAY the bill first an then battle with them.
  • ray8285ray8285 Posts: 2
    For the past several months I have been pondering what to buy. I did a lot of research. Mainly I looked at cargo space, engine, MPG, looks and cost. By far the Vue won hands down. In my opinion it has the total package. I ended up buying a '02 FWD 4cyl 5spd. I was pleasantly surprised by the pickup and the comfort. I've been through 2 tanks of gas. The first (mainly stop and go in town) was 23 MPG. The second was mostly highway miles 30 MPG. I already had an SL1 with 115,000 miles on it. Nothing has gone wrong with it. It runs like a champ and I expect my Vue will also.
  • vuehatervuehater Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info but no I dont keep the dial on anything but vent. We have already explored that idea. The only thing that has helped so far is pulling the fuse for the airconditining unit. My gas mileage is much much better now. I was barely getting 20 mpg on the highway. What a huge disappointment. I cant wait to dump this thing. I am only sorry that I was dumb enough to put so much money down when I bought it and I still cant get what I owe!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    Saturn Goes Green With New Hybrid Line (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• snappy3snappy3 Posts: 13
    I did a short test drive of a 2005 with the standard seat (no lumbar adjuster). The seat seemed ok, more comfortable than the Jeep Liberty I had to rent that was quite hard on the tailbone after 3 hours and no better at 13 hours. The seat seemed better than a new CRV, but it is hard to judge.

Would any VUE drivers care to comment on how the seats feel after 13 hours? Thanks.
  • bcnj11bcnj11 Posts: 2
    I purchased an 05 FWD Auto V6 Vue with power seat about 2 months ago.
    I have a bad back and have found the seat to be more comfortable than my 04 Honda Accord and much easier to get in and out of. The power seat allows me to slightly alter the driving position whenever the myback begins to tighten up.
    This vehicle is a well kept secret- it has been flawless (2.5k miles so far), accelerates very well and I'm getting 24 MPG on the highway with the AC on.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Anyone seen an 06 yet?
  • ems1ems1 Posts: 48
    I have a '03 Vue. I've driven it a number of times from Philadelphia PA to Tampa Fl. most of the 1000 mile trips were done with stops for food and fuel only (17 hours). I'm 6'2 240 lbs. and find the seats are very comfortable. I have 26,000 miles now and no significant problems to speak of. I looked at the '06 a few days ago. The interior and exterior is a bit nicer but not enough for me to trade my '03.
  • ray8285ray8285 Posts: 2
    I have put 4 full tanks of gas in my '02 2.2 inline 4 5 spd manual. So far I average 25mpg with one tank getting 30 (almost all highway on that one). I just took a short trip and it was very comfortable. It was about 4 hours long and when I got out my back felt fine (as did my rear). Love my VUE may even get another.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Posts: 490
    The lease on our 2002 Vue is coming due in the fall. Our Saturn dealer is excited to sell/lease a new one to us. We are also looking at the Vue's sister SUV the Equinox. My gut tells me to stick with Saturn and the 3.5L V6 looks like a nice upgrade from our 3.0 but I like the look of the Equinox a bit better.

We will test them both in the coming week or two.

Any comments on people that have tested both would be appreciated.
  • Yes saw a fully loaded VUE FWD V6 in NC...dealer had about ten...looks very sharp with the chrome package...interior looks great and upscale.
  • lovuelovue Posts: 7
    love the 06 Vue! Got the new cypress green w/full package and it is awesome!! I have NEVER expressed myself one way or another on a car purchase; it's a vehicle, but not this one....IT'S GREAT!! The service and sales personnel are like family. My husband was looking at a ford freestyle.....(had a ford as trade-in) they were willing to give us 5K on trade...Sature complimented me on the mint condition of my trade-in and gave me 8K...go figure. I love my VUE for it's own merit not just the trade $. Go Saturn.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Does the Vue have 3 rows of seats?
    Thankfully not.

;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I was just wondering, since it's hard to compare a 7pass vehicle with a 5pass vehicle. In my opinion if you need the capability of a 7pass vehicle, then there's no sense in looking at 5pass cars, but if you don't need a 7pass car, but it would be nice as an option, then I guess you could look at both, but's it's a pretty significant difference. For the exta 1 1/2 feet in length, I'll take the 3rd row.
    I find 3rd rows in larger SUVs (like Explorer) to be useless for anyone other than little kids. In a VUE, they would even worse. An extended VUE was initially planned but got scrapped. Maybe the next generation VUE will have an EXT. model.
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    I'm looking at buying a 06 AWD Vue. Is all the engines made by Honda, or only the 3.5V6?
    Do these depreciate more faster than comparable models?
    I wish the warranty was a 4/50, but the crash ratings, on star, awd, and plastic doors appeal to me. Currently have a 99 Suburban, that we no longer need all the passenger room to grown kids (now driving).
    Would you buy again? If not, what would you buy and why?

Thanks,
  • I've had my 05 FWD V-6 for about 3 months
    Don't know about the depreciation
    I believe only the V-6 is from Honda
    So far, runs great, am getting about 21 mpg and expect this will improve
    as I only have 4k miles on it
    I would buy again
    Next year there will be a 2.4L Ecotec 170 hp Hybrid GM system also.
  • I have had my Saturn VUE 05 for about 2 months and just noticed that the air conditioning automatically turns on with the heating control set to heat (floor vent not defrost position). Just before I take it back to the dealer, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. It concerns me that it might be a design defect and by running the air conditioning (when you do not need it) you reduce your gas milage and if it is a design defect a lot of people would be burning extra gas. This kind of problem is easy to miss as I only picked it up when I noticed that the air was noticeably cooler when the ventilation selector is moved to heat (does not do it one intermediate stop counter-clockwise).
    It's likely a switching issue. The a/c should not come on for heat going to floor or through the front of the dash. Some systems do come on for defrost as it clears windows faster and better. I doubt this would be the case for all VUEs as a design flaw, I've never heard of it before.
  • I have a 03 VUE V6 AWD that I purchased used in February of 04. Thankfully it still had its 36000 mile warranty. I had to take it in for one problem but thankfully it was fixed under warranty. Sadly, my warranty ran out about 6000 miles ago. Last month my steering wheel was turning very tight and my service light came on. I took it into Saturn three weeks ago and they informed me that my entire steering column has to be replaced. You bet it came with a hefty hefty price too. I was wondering if anyone is having steering problems? It feels just like there is no power steering whatsoever. :mad:
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Hello. The windshield washer on my 2005 VUE went out. It just makes a real light spray and there is plenty of fluid in the resevior. Everything else about the VUE is wonderful, though. I will have it looked at during the next service visit.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter with a major daily newspaper is looking to speak with people who’ve purchased a crossover/sports wagon in the last few months. Specifically, vehicles like the Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, or Toyota Highlander.

If you have, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, September 27, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your recent crossover/sport wagon purchase experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Well the 2006 VUE is back on the short list of small SUV's. I had scratched it off because it was too expensive and still kind of cheap looking inside. I test drove a 2006 today and I must say I was very impressed. I drove a V6 FWD model. For about 22K the vehicle is pretty loaded. That is way cheaper than a Torrent, Escape, Equinox, and the VUE has 250hp to boot. I thought it drove pretty good, very responsive powertrain, decent brakes, and pretty decent handling. I was not able to really stretch its legs so to say but I got a taste of it. Overall the 2006 VUE is much better than previous versions, and is even cheaper than last year.
    Good to hear. I have seen pictures and the 2006 does look a lot better.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    How, exactly, can the 2006 VUE be "much better than previous versions" when nothing changed but a few cosmetics? I was under the impression that the 06 model was simply a restyle and not a redesign. I've been in a couple of 06 models and aside from changed headlights and grille on the front, the addition of that big old ugly chrome piece on the liftgate (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess) and the roof rails off the Relay mounted onto the roof, I don't see any difference in my 2005 model and the new one. On the inside, I see updated radio controls and a new center console, but that's about it. We have been very happy with our 2005 VUE. If the updates on the 2006 make it more desirable to you, then go for it!
  • I was referring to the interior and to the price of the VUE when I mentioned that it is much better than previous versions. I did look into the 2005 VUE, and the interior was better than 03 and 04 models, but still looked a little cheap and not much interior storage. The 06 VUE's have a little more upscale interior and a larger center console between the seats. Is it Lexus like, NO, but it is a very good effort on GM's part. Also what makes the 06 better is the lower price. A well equipped VUE is cheaper than an Equinox. That was not the case last year. The exterior changes look a little better too, more chrome, and an actual front grille.