Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Speedometer

toycuptoycup Member Posts: 2
I have a 2004 Avalanche. Driving home from work about 2 weeks ago,(which is a 1hr & 10 min drive), all was normal and I was driving @ 60-65 mph on I-20..when all of a sudden I looked down & my speedometer said 120!! I said what the@#$!?...I was close to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle so I pulled in at the service dept. When I turned the truck off, the speedometer was reading 50 (poor thing couldn't make it back down to 0). Showed the service guy & told him what happened. He said he had heard about some speedometers sticking and maybe could replace it up to 70,000 miles but I have 122,000 on mine (hadn't heard about that & mine just started.) I asked what could be done-he said I could replace the instrument panel which would be $500-600 dollars or I could just reset it by turning it on & off. Well, I took the later but you can do that but so long. Went on the Trailblazer forum & saw they are having big time problems with theirs-maybe they stuck a Trailblazer instrument panel on mine.....Has anyone else with an Ava had any trouble with theirs?

Comments

• patmc32patmc32 Member Posts: 1
    I also have had some major issues with my instrument cluster. It started out with my tach stopping, then it went to the speedometer and now the tach doesn't work at all and the speedometr stops working after about driving 20miles. I checked for a recall but none out there. Not sure what to do
  • cosmiccharliecosmiccharlie Member Posts: 3
    There is a recall, with limitations ...

E Mail me & I'll send a copy of the recall leter to you

C

caesar5@comcast.net
  • toycuptoycup Member Posts: 2
    Hi C,
    If you still have a copy of the recall letter, I sure would appreciate it if you could send it to me also so I could see it. It sure is frustrating to have this problem & unable to have the dealer do something about a problem that is on their part.. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks lots,

zandra@comporium.net
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As noted in the post box instructions, we have no control over who may search and use your email address for malicious purposes. Do not put your email address in your messages. If you wish to contact someone, all members have a CarSpace address (username at carspace.com), or click their profile.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • halinahalina Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Avalanche odometer reading is now 58000, which of course beyond the warranty. The speedometer sticks and ends up going to 120.If still have a copy of the recall letter. i sure will appreciate it if you could send it to me
  • jriggenjriggen Member Posts: 1
    mine just stated to stick last night 9/12/08 it stayed at zero when i was going i guess 30 or forty 2004 avalanche with about 59,000 miles i would sure like a copy of that recall. thanks for your help in advance, jeff
  • dtorgersondtorgerson Member Posts: 1
    : :confuse: Can you e-mail me about the recall? Thanks, Dan
  • ace36ace36 Member Posts: 1
    Hello C.

I am new to this forum and I too have a Chevy Ava 03. I am also having the same problem with my speedometer also my gas gauge. If you don't mind could you also give me the website. I would greatly appreciate it.

Ace
  • jzflojzflo Member Posts: 1
    Hello C,

I have the same problem with my '04 Avalanche. Can you please send me a copy of th recall letter as well?

Thanks for your help!

jzflo
  • jjoner123jjoner123 Member Posts: 3
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the letter. My dealer is telling me he cannot do the work for free without a copy,

THANKS SO MUCH
  • JW11JW11 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Avalanche just started the same thing this evening on my way home from work. Could someone send me a copy as well?
    Thank you
    JW
  • JimC31JimC31 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Avalanche started speedometer problems (up and down and finally stayed at above 120 even when stopped) on a trip which ended on Jan 5. I checked on the internet and found this is not an unusual problem. I have 77,000+ miles so I was told by the customer service reps that I was not covered. I told them I was the original owner, the dealer I bought the vehicle from has done all the service work, and that they could verify that this vehicle had not been abused. I told them (I actually talked to three different service reps) I didn't understand what was "Magic" about 70,000 miles. If a part is defective it shouldn't matter if it quits at 30,000 miles or 130,000 miles or whenever. I don't know what the process included but two days later I got a call from GM and they agreed to pay half the cost of replacement I went to the dealer this morning and they are scheduled to replace it tomorrow afternoon. BTW, these "Customer Service Managers" have no authority to do anything but take information. They are mostly young college students who work there until they find something better. Maybe if you push enough you can get some assistance.
  • fjmjrfjmjr Member Posts: 1
    I live in Vt. and when the temperature goes down so you need a coat my speedodmeter doesn't work untill , I guess it warms up with the heat on.Finally when I "stop"and start up again then it will work like it suppose to but in the mean time I have to calculate my speed using the tach.I keep hearing there is a recall on this ,can someone mail me a copy ?
  • Deane45Deane45 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the site and not sure how to get you my email address. I have an 03 Avalanche and the odometer display changes consistently from one language to another and changes what it displays. If this is covered under te warranty I would appreciate a copy of the letter you have.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    In the Forums Preferences (link in the right-side toolbar), make your email address "public" - it will be visible to members in your profile.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • atagreatagre Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I too am having the same problem with my 04 Avalanche. Can you send me a copy of the recall notice as well. Thx.
  • watersedgewatersedge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Avalanche as well and my speedometer doesnt work at all anymore. Also the oil pressure guage i stuck and not sure if the gas is reading correctly. I see that some one said that there is a recall with limitations out there on this matter. Could you please send me info on that because I can't find anyting out there? I have all of the other recall info but nothing on the speedometer and such.
    watersedge47@gmail.com
  • seafarmerseafarmer Member Posts: 16
    There is a special recall on the instrument cluster. I have copy of a class action law suit filed for correction but I don't know how to attach it or post the file to this message. email me at seafarmer@hotmail.com and I'll send you a scan of the document. The dealership replaced mine at no charge under a "special notice".">
  • garthwgarthw Member Posts: 15
    Sir, I just read your post, and I'm having the same problem and have been for a few months now with the Oil Guage. The Dealer has been no help !
    Today the speedometer just stopped at 10 miles per hour ! !
    If you would be so kind and send me any recall info you have i would Greatly appreaciate it.
    Sir:
    I'm having the same problem it just started a few months ago and of course the dealer knows nothing. Would you please send me a copy of the letter or any correspondence you may have about this matter. Thank You
    Garth Wall mikewalll@yahoo.com
  • chiller3chiller3 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Avalanche w/speedo problems. Could not find any recalls. Got my info from a Goodyear dealer. Had truck dash replaced by Munday chevy Conroe, Tx. Found lawsuit on Web. Speedometer settlement approved after two appeals and as of March 10, 2009 case now final and you can proceed to seek your cost only (no labor refund) .Letter from Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center dated 4-14-2009, PH # 1-800-222-1020, apologizes for any inconveniences and our commitment to customers is a top priority.
    We went through all that and received a check for $322.51. Deposited check in Bank Of America. Bank letter states : (confidential information indicates that the deposited check may not be paid. ) So if you do get the reimbursement check it may be no good.Check came from North American Operations, General Motors Corp, PO Box 62530, Phoenix, Az., 85082-2530. Check dated 4-15-2009. Now what? All of this is find and dandy, a worthless check. What to do next?
  • tbiggstbiggs Member Posts: 1
    HI looks like I have the same problem everyone else has. Any help to get it fixed without spending a fortune.

thom
    Many of you have contacted me via e-mail as listed earlier in the thread for a copy of the class action lawsuit pertaining to the speedometer problem. Can anyone post the file to this discussion board or have a web site to host a link for easy access so others are being shafted by the dealers claiming to have no knowledge of the special notice? Those having found success, pass the word!
  • Deane45Deane45 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your post..it was beneficial. If you don't mind telling what was the cost of the work you did? I am not sure if it is an instrument issue or a computer issue with my vehicle.
    To answer you question. I took my Avalanche to the same dealer that does all my work and they didn't cahrge me a dime ! ! They replaced the Instrurment Cluster and didn't charge me anything !
  • wash1wash1 Member Posts: 1
    Could you also send me the Special Recall for the Avalanche instrument cluster, and the class action law suit filed for correction. My email address is famwash65@yahoo.com.

Thanks in Advance.
  • sajr_99sajr_99 Member Posts: 3
    My speedo just went out on my 03 Avalanche w/55k. It is pegged at 120.
    I'm happy to provide a copy but you'll need to either post your e-mail address or send me a private e-mail to seafarmer@hotmail.com. I suggest a subject line pertaining to Avalanche recall or the like so I don't delete it as junk mail. For other future visitors, please make note. I'd also like to have you all post your results back here so others can benefit from it or take an alternate action to get GM to correct this issue.

Regards,
    Chris

">
    Thanks for the offer Chris. I actually found it shortly after posting the request.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2009-09-28_123058_cluster_policy.p- df

The link is a PDF of the GM notice and is what my dealership looked up too. They are fixing mine today or tomorrow depending on when the part arrives. This thread was very helpful though.
  • buzzard9buzzard9 Member Posts: 2
    Mine did that just this weekend and I was told it was the speed sensor you can get this part from Partstrain.com for $17.15 plus shipping. The part number is ARBC313305 I do hope that this does fix the problem, I do not like going 130 mph going to work.
    Hello, Everybody
    I've been out of town for the Holidays. As previously stated by a couple of others.
    Please send me your E-Mail Address and I will send to you the
    NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT
    It's six pages in length. I tried to post it here, but I'm not a computer whiz-Kid !
    As previously posted my dealer replaced the instrument cluster, and It didn't cost me a dime ? I also had talked to the Manufacturer Rep. who was in contact with my service manager.
    Hope this helps. My Direct E-Mail: mikewalll@yahoo.com
  • west8west8 Member Posts: 4
    yes, i have an 04 that the speedo sticks all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago but the opposite iam going 70 and it says 40 was hoping i could get an answer on this also.
    Sorry, I've been out of town.
    Send me an E-mail address, so I can send you a copy of the information, and Letter I have. Mikewalll@yahoo.com
    My apologies, I should have posted an update. My local dealer took care of the issue right away... No questions asked. Thank you for the offer. It is nice to know my speed again!
    Good for you !
    Garth
  • pickup_400pickup_400 Member Posts: 2
    they had a recall on those my 03 had same problem . argue with GM YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN a recall notice.
  • jburwelljburwell Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Ava and my speedo does the same, it quits when I am going down the road and I have tyo pull over and restart the truck to get it to work again....Anyone know of an re-calls for an 05?...Thanks
    The class action lawsuit covers model years 03-05 for speedo problems. I can't figure out how to attach the .pdf to this post but if you e-mail me at seafarmer@hotmail.com I'll forward a copy. Please list your subject line at "Avalanche Recall" so I know you're not just spamming me. ">
    My computer dumped my files for the recall letters and files I had !
    I'll have to look thru a bunch of hard copies I have, and dig the material out, it may take a day or two. if you'll send me a fax number I'll send as soon as I find them.
    Garthw
  • missjaimmissjaim Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 04 that the speedometer and oil gauge have stopped working. If anybody still has a copy of the recall and could email it, I would be greatful! Send to MissJaim@aol.com Thanks so much!!
    I sent an E-mail to your AOL address but did not receive a reply ?
    I'm not sure if it went thru or not, in any case, as I said before I'm not able to send it as an E-mail, however I can send it you, by mail or FAX. let me know what you want ?
    Garth
  • cosborne1cosborne1 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a class action lawsuit on the Instrument Panel Cluster? My son has 2003 Avalanche and we just replaced it. I talked to GM and they said they would not cover the part/labor.
    What I have is a "Notice of Proposed Class Action Settlement". I also have a copy of a "Subject: 07187A - Special Coverage Adjustment" Letter. My computer is on the fritz, and I'm not a Computer GuRu. The best way is if you send me a fax number, and I can fax it to you.
    You may also wish to contact Mr. Glen Ryan Factory Rep. (Chevy) 1-866-790-5600
    Ex: 32847. He was able to move mountains. He also contacted my local Dealer where I had the repair work done, and it didn't cost me anything. Hope this helps one way or another,
    Garth Wall
    I have that letter, how many miles did your vehicle have on it when the IPC went out? My sons has 90,000 and GM says they will not cover it.
    I believe I had a little over 90,000, but I had complained on a couple of occasions prior (In the 80,000 Range). I was told they had to see it when the Temp and or Oil Gauge were pegged !
    That's when I contacted the Manufacturer, and He got the job done !
    Is that the number of the guy you put in your email? I have sent a letter to the attorney generals office...
    Yes, That's the only number I have for the manufactureer. Factory Rep. Glen Ryan If he is still there ? 1-866-790-5600 ex. 32847 The only other numbers I have are for the Local Dealer Service Manager. The one I worked with is now retired ! That's all I have.
    Garth
    My buddy has worked in dealerships for most of his career. He said the best solution is to work with the Regional Service Manager if you're not satisfied with the dealership service manager or service department. The worst situation for a dealership is to have a negative report of their service department. It can even effect their car allotment for the sales floor. Use sugar first but be prepared to poor on the vinegar.
    Seafarmer, I was putting information out there for those that needed it. You helped me about a year ago. I got got my instruments replaced free of charge. It was Glen Ryan that told them to do it.
    Garth
  • bruceubruceu Member Posts: 1
    Hello My speedometer just crapped out to-night. It is sitting at 110 Kms. sitting still. I found this info and thought I would pass it on. My Vin # falls right into this. I will let you know how I make out. Bruce

GM Speedometer Recall
    Repair Solutions for the Speedometer Problem on Late Model GM Vehicles

* Welcome
    * Qualified Cadillacs
    * Qualified Chevys
    * Qualified GMCs
    * Common Questions
    * About Us

Qualified Chevys

In order to qualify for the special coverage adjustment (Special Policy Adjustment 07187a) awarded in the class action settlement, your 03, 04, or 05 Chevrolet must meet all of the following criteria:

* Less than 7 years old
    * Less than 80,000 miles (130,000 km)
    * Built within the VIN breakpoints (see below)

Vehicles Involved

Most newer vehicles (1972 and later) have their VIN located on the left hand (driver’s side) dashboard. It should be visible from the lower corner of the windshield. The VIN is 17 digits long, but you will only need to check the last 8 digits against the table below.
    YEAR MODEL VIN FROM VIN THROUGH
    2003 Avalanche *********3G100001 *********3G347428
    2004 Avalanche *********4G100011 *********4G344788
    2005 Avalanche *********5G100003 *********5G199674
    2003 Silverado *********31100001 *********31412794
    2003 Silverado *********3E100001 *********3E381150
    2003 Silverado *********3F100001 *********3F259060
    2003 Silverado *********3M100001 *********3M112290
    2003 Silverado *********3Z100001 *********3Z361857
    2004 Silverado *********41100005 *********41435572
    2004 Silverado *********4E100001 *********4E403760
    2004 Silverado *********4F100001 *********4F269046
    2004 Silverado *********4M100006 *********4M112271
    2004 Silverado *********4Z100002 *********4Z353683
    2005 Silverado *********51100014 *********51247028
    2005 Silverado *********5E100002 *********5E223209
    2005 Silverado *********5F800001 *********5F882297
    2005 Silverado *********5Z100003 *********5Z224691
    2003 Suburban *********3G100007 *********3G348254
    2003 Suburban *********3J100007 *********3J346322
    2003 Suburban *********3R100004 *********3R319989
    2004 Suburban *********4G100010 *********4G344801
    2004 Suburban *********4J100031 *********4J333376
    2004 Suburban *********4R100001 *********4R323241
    2005 Suburban *********5G100001 *********5G199663
    2005 Suburban *********5J100003 *********5J192999
    2005 Suburban *********5R100015 *********5R199187
    2003 Tahoe *********3J100001 *********3J346326
    2003 Tahoe *********3R100014 *********3R320162
    2004 Tahoe *********4J100005 *********4J333379
    2004 Tahoe *********4R100003 *********4R323252
    2005 Tahoe *********5J100002 *********5J193163
    2005 Tahoe *********5R100002 *********5R199238
    My vehicle qualifies for the settlement, now what?

Contact the nearest Chevrolet dealership to schedule an appointment. You will need to provide the VIN and vehicle mileage so the instrument cluster can be ordered in advance of the appointment. This will eliminate the need to keep the vehicle overnight.
    My vehicle DOES NOT qualify for the settlement. What’s my best option?

Southern Electronics can repair your speedometer cluster the same day we receive it. We use the new OEM factory redesigned motors (X25.168), not old surplus or motors stripped from junkyard units that will fail again. Repairs include our 12 month hassle free warranty on the entire unit not just parts changed. We rebuild the entire unit, replacing all of the gauge stepper motors and illumination lamps, and send it back better than new.

Sending us your cluster couldn’t be easier. Just follow these simple instructions:

1. Remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle (video instructions)
    2. Print out a free UPS Ground shipping label
    3. Print and complete our Instrument Cluster Return Form (PDF)
    4. Pack the cluster and return form together in a box (video instructions)
    5. Affix the free shipping label and send it to us!

* Share/Bookmark

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

GM brands affected by the stepper motor issue