Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Engine and Performance Problems

autumndautumnd Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in GMC
I have a 99 Jimmy that stalls when it's in first and when its in reverse, more commonly when the whell is turned. My engine light came on a couple days ago and had it diagnosed as code # P0410B Secondary Air Injector System Malfunction. Although that did tell me what is wrong with it, that is a very broad diagnosis. I need to figure out specifically what is wrong with the SAI, but im not sure how to go about testing to see what the issue is. Also, if anyone knows how long i can drive it like this, please let me know.

Comments

• waltr97waltr97 Member Posts: 1
    i have a '97 jimmy 4.3l w/ an auto tranny....
    i had a shop do some custom work to the suspension and frame. the ac/heat, abs and cruise control were removed.
    from the time that i got it back it idled rough, when i accelerate it sounds like it's missing and it runs rich.
    shortly after getting it back the ses light came on. i got a scanner from autozone to read the code. the code i got was p0300(random misfire). i replaced the plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor and still getting the same code.
    i'm by no means a mechanic, i just try to do as much as i can myself. so i take it in to the shop, hoping that they can tell me what is causing this misfire.
    well i'm told that the wiring coming from the computer is all hacked. before they can even try to diagnos the problem any further i would have to get it rewired. which is something that they do not do. they also told me that most likely that was causing my engine problem.
    a friend told me to get a new harness and he would help me replace it. now, after this long book that i just wrote, my question is...
    do i have to get a wiring harness from a '97 jimmy/blazer only? i'm pretty sure that it has to be from a 4.3l w/ an auto tranny. but could it be from a '95-up s10/sonoma or blazer/jimmy?
    any help would be greatfull.
  • mmeulimmeuli Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jimmy has been hesitating when I accelerate. It has gotten worse. Now it won't shift out of 2nd. Computer says to replace about 6 different things including ERG Valve and Mass Flow Sensor. Now that I have done those 2 things it runs better, but still does not shift out of 2nd. Now the service engine light has gone out and the computer doesn't tell whats wrong anymore. Anyone got any suggestions.
  • cumminshocumminsho Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this 85 s10 blazer cheap, and it pops through the carb. It will not go when you push the throttle. It idles alright, just will not go. A tune up was done and the timing chain was replaced by previous owner. My question is has anyone had camshaft problems with these? Also has anybody used the edelbrock camshaft with any success? Was anything else needed when putting the edelbrock in? It's not worth putting a ton of money into it. I just got it for a cheap winter beater. Thanks for the info.
  • jimmy101jimmy101 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of months ago i bought a 99 Jimmy SLT 112000 miles and loved for like the first 2 weeks. The water pump went and the frost pug was leaking so i had them replaced. Then I went to my familys deer hunting over thanksgiving. Went out to start it early in the morning and it wouldn't start. I wasn't getting anything just my electrical stuff turned on. So i replaced the battery thinking it was that. It wasnt. Wasnt the starter either. So we finally got it started and took it to the mech to get it looked at. My CRANK FUSE went out. It ran fine for 3 weeks then it went out again. And now this weekend it has went out several times and i cant get my key out of the ignition. I'm confused. Is something to do with my fuel pump or my ignition?
    Thanks
    Tim
  • denis83denis83 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 83 S-15 JIMMY2.8L W/CALIF EMISSION.ANY KIND OF INLINE OR LOAD AND IT CUTS OUT PUKES AND PUTTERS. IT WILL ONLY GO ABOUT 10 MPH. I HAVE REPLACE THE TPS ANDO2 SENSOR AND HAS NO MORE CODES. IT IS TIMED GOOD NOW AT A LOSS.
  • jensjimmyjensjimmy Member Posts: 1
    hey,

so I have a 1996 gmc jimmy 4x4. my boyfriend just finished taking the engine out and replacing the rear seal. when he put it all together it was starting to have issues starting. I would have to start it 4 times for it to finnally go. so besides that it was working great. now I was driving home from work yesterday and it was stalling like every 2 blocks. and when my boyfriend started it after I got home it was making this crazy knocking sound. he thinks it might be the airflow sensor. I think the starting it was the vacume lines mixed up but I don't know why it's stalling now anybody have any advice for me?
  • peterock81peterock81 Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem with my jimmy and found it was the throttle position sensor. i as well had multiple codes including codes saying low input and high input to my map sensor. The truck shifted extremely hard going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to D. I went to the junk yard and pulled one off a wrecked blazer for my truck 6.50 vs 45 or 50 bucks as a trial and error with the sensors. I tried the TPS first because from what reseach i did online it seemed to be the most common solution for the series of codes being tripped
  • cproulxcproulx Member Posts: 1
    I just changed the fuel filter on my Jimmy - it ran fine for 2-3 days. Now it will start and run in park but when I put it into gear and give it gas it sputters hesitates and stalls out. Anyone have any ideas?
  • puzzledjimmypuzzledjimmy Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 99 JIMMY SLE. IT STARTS UP NORMALLY FIRST THING BUT WHEN IT GETS WARM AND I STOP TO DO SOMETHING FOR ABOUT 15 - 20 MINUTE, IT TAKES A FEW SECONDS TO TURN OVER. I MAY HAVE TO GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS TO TURN IT OVER. IT RUNS GREAT OTHERWISE. I HAVE REPLACED THE GAS TANK,GAS PUMP AND SENDING UNIT. THE FUEL FILTER. THE MAP SENSOR AND AIR FILTER. I HAVE HAD THE SPIDER INJECTORS CHECKED AND THEY ARE FINE. I GET BETWEEN 16 AND 18 MILES TO A GALLON. TOP PERFORMANCE FOR THIS VEHICLE I WAS TOLD. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MAY BE WRONG?
  • clunkerowner88clunkerowner88 Member Posts: 6
    The obd 2 system has an on board computer, when your jimmy is in a pinch running wise ( running like crap) the computer puts the car into "limp home mode" which basicly compensates the amounts of gas and air and such but also will put your car in 2nd gear only.... Have a mechanic or shop like muffler man put it on a diagnostics to read the codes... Also these 4.3 l v6 engines are bad for there "spider" the fuel injectors sytem to leak as well as the fuel regulator, causing them to run rich and have lots of black smoke. just something to look for.
  • 92jimmy92jimmy Member Posts: 1
    my 92 stumbles while accelerating and sometimes with stall at idle i have replaced fuel pump, relay, filter installed another set of injectors and regulator map sensor. ign, coil, cap, plugs, wires, module, any idea's? it only does this once in awhile more so after it warms up for awhile
  • nascar_girl3nascar_girl3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 GMC Jimmy, am second owner. bought it las summer. it runs good, but every so often, when I have run several errands and it is hot, it cuts out on take off, coughs and sounds like it is back firing...mechanic first changed the plugs and plug wires, then when did it again, and finally got so bad that it started dying out, the mechanic changed out the sensor that tells the computer how much fuel tosend. that is what the scanner gave the code for that sensor. afterwards at first, it ran so smooth and quiet, then on the 3rd day, after running errands all over town again, it started doing it again. it does it when i try to give it gas to take off...only after it is hot. after it sits for an hour and cools down, it runs okay again
  • puzzledjimmypuzzledjimmy Member Posts: 2
    I would try the fuel prssure valve in back of the spider injectors. while the injectors are out inspect them and clean them with wd40 or injector cleaner. make sure you change the gaskets with new ones too.
  • smileyfedexsmileyfedex Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    I have a 2001 jimmy 4x4 with 90,000 miles heres whats happening after running errands for more than 2 hours i will be driving and when i press the fuel pedal it bogs down and if i come off and go back down it starts to go and then it will start to bog down or chug and if i pull over and let it stall turn it off for about a minute or two it will start up with no problems and run fine this happens random today it started again and i can run the same errands tomorrow with out a problem its a very erratic awhile back i had fuel pressure regulator changed because it was hard starting after it sat overnight also changed all the gaskets also checked the spider injectors for leaks all was dry (the mentioned work was done by a mechanic) i am lost now i dont know what to do PLEASE help
    thanks in advance for any help with matter :confuse:
  • smileyfedexsmileyfedex Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2010
    Hi All
    I recently hard to make a 450 mile trip On they way there no problems at all, But on the way back about A 1/3 of the way back it started acting up and this time it thru Service Engine Soon light on of course I didn't have my code reader with me So i stopped at Advance Auto parts and they read the codes for me it said random misfire detected and solenoid 2 in transmission malfunction so at this point i was frustrated beyond all... We started heading home and we took side roads it took time to get it up to speed 55-60 and then it would hold so after third stop for fuel and drinks.. thought dam i need a tranny I started thinking I remember I had just put a 4 wheel drive computer new one about 9 months ago 650 from dealer 275 on ebay NIB.. course i went for the one on ebay and it was brand new in the box...And while thinking about that ..I pulled the right side kick panel off and unplugged the 4 wheel driver computer and the service 4 wheel drive light came on and as the gmc dealer told me it would not affect the operation of the truck in anyway it would be like i had 2 wheel drive truck So after unplugging it we got back on road again and guess what the truck ran like a clock again we were doing 80-85 again heading home, So I figured really how often do you really need 4x4 Instead of buying another 4X4 Computer and its doesn't happen all the time I put a toggle switch on the power line going to the 4x4 computer and when it starts acting up I flip the switch & service 4 wheel drive light comes on and again the runs with no problems and when i get home for the night i flip the switch back to normal position and the next day all is well.....everything works fine and its a random issue I figure i can live with it and if it acts up i flip the turning off power to 4x4 computer which its a very random problem and if I need 4x4 mode when its acting up I just flip the switch and it has 4x4 with no problem once f\the 4 wheel drive computer cools down its fine again anyway....Thanks again
  • bburko01bburko01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 jimmy and I've been having huge problems. It bogs down at mid/high RPMs. It's not throwing any codes. I've already replaced the CPI (spider) twice and my EGR cause of codes. It ran well after replacing the spider but after the EGR the problem still happens.

The best my mechanic can come up with at this point after looking at things for a few days is a bad cam. I don't know what the symptoms of a bad cam would be.

The truck has 288k miles mostly highway. I hate to get rid of her. I've had this truck for 15 years and have traveled all over with it and aside from this issue the rest of the vehicle is OK aside from a few rust spots.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Burk
This discussion has been closed.