Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Climate Control Questions

arafatarafat Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Nissan
We love our 2007 Altima 2.5SE but now that winter has set in here in Minnesota I find that the driver position does not seem to get heat directed to the floor while the upper body is roasting. This is while control is properly set to direct heat to floor. Eventually heat works it's way down from upper levels but it takes about 30 minutes. Anyone else have similar problems or know of a fix?

Comments

• ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    We just purchased the 2008 Altima 2.5 LS and have experienced a similar occurance. We also live in Minnesota and you are right in saying that it takes awhile for the heat to take effect at ones feet. If you place your hand by the outlet, you will fel some heat coming out after only a few minutes. Problem is, it is not a real blast of air ind it does take some time to heat the feet. I think this may be due to an undersized duct in that area rather than some kind of obstruction. The rest of the system works fine for us. I take solace in having a warm butt and just wait for the feet to get warm.
  • jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    I live in the St. Louis metro area, and this is my first winter driving my '07 2.5 SL. I typically set the thermo to 72 or so, but sometimes the heat gets so hot, I have to turn on the AC. It's almost unbearable. Any one else having similar conditions?
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    When it is -25 degrees outside, "to hot" could almost be comfortable.
  • joeykryzljoeykryzl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL which I have acquired barely a month ago. I seldom use the car air-conditioning due to the winter season, though I noticed yesterday when it was raining that when the thermostat is set to 64 deg F and up, the air coming from the aircon is hot to that point that it is causing moisture to the front and rear windshield. It is only when the thermostat is set to 63 deg F that I can feel the air coming from the aircon is cold. Does anyone else has the same issue? I wonder whether this is normal or whether I should take the car to the dealer for servicing.
  • dolphin83dolphin83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. The engine was faulty and was replaced last yr so its kinda new. The problem with my car A/c-Heating is that the engine heats up just fine once I start driving, but hot air takes a long time. Even after its on, it works ok, not great, as long as the car is moving. As soon as I slow down or wait at a light, it starts throwing out cooler air!

Has anyone seen a similar issue? OR know how to solve this problem.

Thanks!
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    If you have het automatic dual zone climate control, the system follows a couple presets when it's in AUTO and DUAL.

1) When heating the system seems to always use the floor setting.
    2) When cooling the system defaults to bi-level (floor and chest)
    3) The system will automatically tunr on the A/C if it needs to cool.
    4) The system automatically adjsuts fan speed and keeps the fan on minimum until the engine is warm enough to supply warm air.
    5) AUTO only automatically selects the vent setting and fan speed. If you manually select the vent setting you will also have ot manually set the fan speed. The temperature is still automatically regulated.
    6) Like all new cars the A/C is automatically turned on when defrost of defrost/floor is selected. It will stay on even after another vent option is selected ot prevent fogging. You have to manually shut it off.
    7) The A/C compressor is use to dehimidy or to cool. How do oyu think a dehumidified works?... it's just a air conditioning unit but the warm condensor coils are together so there no significant heating or cooling. A heat pump is just an A/C unit operated in reverse. I've always wonderd why for cold weather, luxury cars haven't been designed to use the A/C as a heat pump to provide warm air before the engine is heated up.

My wife and I love the dual zones. I always want it 3-4 degrees cooler than her, and there's those times where one of use in in the sun. We used to just shut vents, but this works much better.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I've always wonderd why for cold weather, luxury cars haven't been designed to use the A/C as a heat pump to provide warm air before the engine is heated up.

My guess is that heated seats resolved that issue, at least from the manufacturer's viewpoint. Plus, the reversing valve to put the compressor in heatpump mode would probably cost $1.98, and they couldn' t recoup the cost as easily as selling heated seats at a higher option price...still, a great idea, though.......
    Another would be to add about 500 Watt of electric heating elements (similar to a small hair dryer), before the evaporator but you would need to upsize the Alternator by at least 300 Watts to compensate for it. On the opposite side, the increased load would make the engine warm-up faster.

If you want your car to heat up quicker in the winter, turn on the headlights (150Watts in inluding marker and tail lights) and rear defroster (~200Watts), stereo (50 Watts). That's about an extra 1/2 HP. Not a lot, but every little bit helps. If you don't believe it, watch the RPM's change when you turn on the rear defroster and the alternator is loaded.
  • rsullivan1rsullivan1 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima and Im having problems with the heating and cooling vent system.While using the heating/cooling or defrost, at any speed adjustment on the fan,I lose air flow through the vents.I can have the fan on the maximum speed and still there's no air flow from any of the 3 vent ports(defrost,front vent and floor vents).I have taken my vehicle back to the dealership service department 3 times since my purchase and have been repeatedly told that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle.Has anyone experienced this problem with any of the newer model Nissan Altimas?If so,what was done to correct the problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Just a clarification here...the fan is on high, but you get no air at all from any vents?

Becasue you stated in your posting...

there's no air flow from any of the 3 vent ports(defrost,front vent and floor vents

Can you hear the fan running,or does it act as if the speed selector switch is disconnected?
    I get no air flow from any of the vent ports while adjusting the fan from low to high speed.I can leave the fan speed at highest setting and you can hear it blowing inside of the dash area but get no air flow out of the vents.I can adjust the temperature from hot to cold and adjust the fan speed and no air flow.I've taken the car back to the dealership 3 times and they claim they cant find any problem with the car.I've taken it in twice while this problem is happening and had the salesman and the sales manager sit in the car and witness the problem,still the service department cant find any defect or problem.They dont find a problem because theyre turning the car off and the service department doesnt inspect the car until the next day.I work until 3pm every day and I cant get to the dealership until 5pm or later.Now this doesnt happen everytime I drive my car,but it did happen 4 times in the first 2 weeks I had my Altima.The last time it happened was 2 weeks ago while using the defrost function.They didnt find anything wrong after that either.
    Obviously, a duct flap is sticking on occasion. These are the most difficult problems to locate. The best advise I can give is to let it happen again and then immediately go to the dealer and demonstrate what is happening while it is happening, so they can see it in progress. Otherwise, you will have to wait until it completely breaks.

Its difficult to repair a problem that you can't see, and you are probably much better off not having the dealer just wildly replace parts that may or may not be at fault...that generally adds to your misery instead of abating it...
    Thank you for your response and the helpful advice.....I appreciate it.The Service Tech. at the dealership advised me to do exactly as you have done,...let the problem reoccur and bring it back into the shop.I've already done that three times and no corrections done yet.All they did was replace a condenser,check the A/C head,and recharge the A/C coolant after the second trip.I'm just waiting now for the problem to happen again and I'll take it back for one more chance.I'm pritty sure the lemon law kicks in after 4 service trips.
    Thanks again for the response and the help.Any future advice welcomed if you get any more information on this defect/malfunction.
    R.Sullivan1
    Unfotunately the lemon law in most states only applies to defects or failures that make the car undrivable or unsafe to drive.

Keep working with the dealer... or try another dealer if possible. It definitely sounds like one of the automatic dampners in the duct that directs airflow is sticking closed on occasion. That's where they need to look.

I know on my car, to protect the dampners from damage, the fan is slowed down to the lowest speed when changing vent position, then turned back up again.
    The service tech. told me that some of the Altimas do have an automatic function on the A/C controls but the vehicle I purchased doesnt have that feature.I have to manually adjust the fan speed myself.Maybe its worked itself out and it's going to work properly.It hasnt malfunctioned in over a week now,considering I havent had to use the defrost function.Thanks for the reply.
    RSullivan1
    Very possible...could have had a foreign object in the ductwork that finally got blown out...I hope so, anyway...

Good luck!
    Even without automatic climate control, the vents are still electronically controlled by pushbutton, as are most car over $15k these days, as opposed to a mechanical linkage as some economy cars have.
  • dale44dale44 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have just experienced the same problem with my 2008 Altima coming back from a trip to Pittsburgh last Sunday. I noticed that the air flow had stopped when the temperature in the car became very warm and nothing could bring it back except leaving it in the garage overnight. The next morning the air came on as if nothing had happened. Maybe some part became frozen what with the high humidity. Outside of the car it was a torrential downpour for two or three different times.

This problem occurred by driving a distance and the day was pretty warm. Since I bought the car in February I have never driven the car any great distance and the air flow has been working as it should until last Sunday. Of course it is working again on Monday.
  • jlevittjlevitt Member Posts: 2
    I live in Phoenix, AZ and purchased a new nissan altima this spring. I took the vehicle on a trip to Las Vegas where on the way back ( 5-6 trip) the air conditioner stopped working and the fan stopped blowing. I had to turn off the air conditioner and let the unit defrost before the a/c would come back on. I took it to the dealer and he thought I was nuts. Basically, called me stupid. Later in the summer, I took a trip to San Diego and it did the same thing. I again took it into the dealer and this time they tested it for two days and couldn't find anything wrong. They said it could be one of four things and as long as they couldn't find which one acted up they weren't going to do anything. Nissan refuses to pay for parts to be replaced unless you can show they are broken. I'm afraid to take this new vehicle on anymore trips outside the city.
  • jlevittjlevitt Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure if my problem is exactly the same but... I live in Phoenix, AZ and purchased a new nissan altima this spring. I took the vehicle on a trip to Las Vegas where on the way back ( 5-6 hours) the air conditioner stopped working and the fan stopped blowing. I had to turn off the air conditioner and let the unit defrost before the a/c would come back on. I took it to the dealer and he thought I was nuts. Basically, called me stupid. Later in the summer, I took a trip to San Diego and it did the same thing. I again took it into the dealer and this time they tested it for two days and couldn't find anything wrong. They said it could be one of four things and as long as they couldn't find which one acted up they weren't going to do anything. Nissan refuses to pay for parts to be replaced unless you can show they are broken. I'm afraid to take this new vehicle on anymore trips outside the city.
  • macstevenmacsteven Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima. whenever I adjust the air flow from defrost to the floor, the AC turns on.
    this is really annoying during the winter when I use the defrost the most. and with the heat on. so when I change it to blow the heat to the floor after my windows have defrosted the AC turns on and I have to hit the button to turn if off EVERYTIME.

I have talked to the dealership multiple times and they tell me this is normal. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I had a 2006 Altima before this one and it did not have this problem.

Does anyone else have this issue?
  • rbsmith2000rbsmith2000 Member Posts: 1
    This seems to be the latest thing. I had a 2000 Honda Accord that did the same thing. It was maddening. I begged the dealer for a change, but got no help. In the 2006 Accord there was no option to shut off the A/C, it just comes on without notification. Now I own an Altima. At least I can shut off the A/C.

I think it is a lame scheme from folks that live in damp (coastal) area. I live in Denver, so it makes me want to hunt down the automobile engineer that created it (there should be a bounty). Killing is too good.
  • kamrysmomkamrysmom Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA WHILE DRIVING MY CAR THE HEAT IS FINE BUT IF I COME TO A STOP LIGHT IT STARTS BLOWING COLD AIR OR IF MY SPEED IS REDUCED TO LIKE BELOW 50MPH IT BLOWS COLD AIR. ANY ADVICE
  • altimadude00altimadude00 Member Posts: 5
    I have an '05 Altima 2.5S with a clicking fan. It is most noticable when it is on low. Is there a procedure I can use to get at the fan as a DIY project, or should i just take it to the dealer?
  • mrrogers1mrrogers1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello rsullivan1 I know that you had the vent problem a good while ago. My Altima has this vent problem. But when I press the buttons to select which vent to use I cannot hear any vents closing or opening. Also the fuse for the climate control cluster keeps blowing the fuse. If I replace the fuse the vents work until the fuse blows again. Do you think that the climate control cluster needs replaced?
    Thanks for any help.
  • mrrogers1mrrogers1 Member Posts: 2
    My Altima has a vent problem. When I press the buttons to select which vent to use I cannot hear any vents closing or opening. Also the fuse for the climate control cluster keeps blowing the fuse. If I replace the fuse the vents work until the fuse blows again. Do you think that the climate control cluster needs replaced?
    Thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.