Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• tntiger7tntiger7 Member Posts: 1
    Contact Honda @ 1 800 999-1009. My PSP was replaced today @ 45k on my 07 Odyssey. Not happy as I asked about the problem prior to today
  • odyssey_07odyssey_07 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    i contacted honda and my PSP is replaced under warranty for 07 odyssey with almost 45 k. They contacted me with in 2 days after i filed the complaint.
  • jjlodyssey07jjlodyssey07 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my power steering pump replaced by Honda under warranty. I brought technical service bulletin A07-005 about the power steering reservoir to their attention because I was concerned that if they did not fix the primary problem now, I will have to replace the pump in the future when it is not under warranty. Apparently in post #39, rwall10597 thought the ultimate problem was due to a bad filter in the reservoir causing air to get sucked into the system. However, the service technician said that Honda is very restrictive about their warranty replacements now, and because the bulletin is entitled "Power Steering Pump Whines, Buzzes, or Hums", and my power steering problem did not present with any noise, they are not going to do anything with my reservoir. So my question is, is it possible that there are a lot of power steering failures that have nothing to do with the reservoir problem? Or can they all be traced back to the reservoir problem, but not all of them present with the noise? If the latter, I am going to push the issue with the service department more, especially since my warranty expires in 3 weeks.
  • jhs24jhs24 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2010
    If you have hard steering and the car seems to wander on the road even after an alignment then you may have the same problem I had. This seems to affect 2006-2008+ Odyssey's that had the new struts to make the ride softer than the 2005. I had a 2005 and it had hard suspension (rode very stiff). Honda used different struts starting in 2006 to make a soft ride. I have successfully fixed my own 2007 Odyssey struts and documented what I found. I had two alignments done and everything was in spec but the van still pulled all over the road until I fixed the struts and then got another alignment (all alignments were by the same shop and the same person checked the final numbers). It now drives very light on the steering wheel and doesn't wander on the road. I hope this can help someone.

I had already replaced the reservoir to silence the pump, but that has NOTHING to do with hard steering as long as the pump is silent. I did not replace the pump or the steering rack.

See below on the link for how I fixed my Odyssey.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f17a7b3/85
  • sistarsistar Member Posts: 19
    most time I got no power steering (left turn only), and a few times i just had to do it the hard way - scrape my way in and out. Out of job, can't afford dealer repair. The van has 65k miles, out of warranty of course.

Any suggestion?
    This sounds like a steering rack problem, not a strut problem. It requires unbolting the front subframe and supporting the engine according to the service manual. I'd figure it's a $1,500 job at a dealership and it's not one I'd do at home because it's pretty involved.
  • eferaritaeferarita Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2007 Odyssey (70K miles) I took it in to the dealer they are telling me the Power Steering pump is bad and the they think the timing belt tension needs to be replaced (they don't know for sure) but there is some type of noise coming from the back by the timing belt area. I have about $1000 worth of work that needs to be done....I had the Tranny changed out under the warranty at about 30K miles, the brakes been grinding ever since about 20K....I called Honda USA Corp. I can not believe the way they handled this situation.....I thought I was talking to a Customer Service Call Center in a 3rd world country. (REAL BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE) I owned 5 different Hondas 3 Odysseys,1 accord and 1 civic......because of the BAD service that Honda Corp USA provided me with I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA AGAIN. :lemon:

I have a 1997 Camry close to 200K runs like the day i purchased it 13 years ago. My next car will be a TOYOTA.

Corporate will not do anything to help the consumer....after reading all the issues that Odyssey have once they hit 50K miles,I will BUY TOYOTA and trade this POS in and get the new SIENNA it's a much better looking van the 2011 and a better all around car.
    edited October 2010
    I agree that I've been disappointed with the strut problem and hope I don't have the torque converter problem. I also replaced all my rotors and pads since the previous owner had pretty much warped them from going down a mountain with the brakes on instead of manually downshifting. Honda rotors and brakes are really not that great, but what else is new. Vehicles require maintenance.

Toyota has also had their share of problems. There were quite a few Camry's that had engine sludge problems due to undersized oil ports about 5-10 years back. The entire engines seized. Also, when I was comparing the Odyssey to the Sienna about 3 years ago TOYOTA had some major problems with bad welds on the front door hinges. The spot welds would come loose and the doors would bend completely forwards towards the front of the van on a downward slope or if it was windy. Usually the driver door went first since it was used the most. The only solution was a new door because the welds that broke were internal to the door. Toyota would not issue a recall because they didn't want to pay on the number of recalls. Each door replacement was $1,000/door and there was no way to reinforce the welds since other panels were welded on after the hinges (there was no access to the welds anymore).I test drove a '05 Sienna and I saw the welds starting to fail myself (spot welds) at low mileage and knew Toyota was not owning up to it. We now see what has happened since as Toyota got in big trouble this year over recalls they did not issue but should have.

Needless to say, every car manufacturer has problems. There is no guarantee that the 2011 Sienna will be better or worse than the 2011 Odyssey. True, some models can be more problematic than others, but in the end it can just be the luck of the draw. My mother has a 1998 Camry with 130,000 miles on it and never had any major problems. My old neighbor had one and the engine locked up one day with the same mileage due to sludge. Toyota replaced it and owned up since it was a known issue, so that was good. Honda recalls some things, others they don't. I hope you have better luck when you get the Sienna. Please post and let us all know how it goes.

My Odyssey is a dream to drive again since I fixed the struts. I've driven 6,000 miles in the last three months and some days were 11 hrs on the road straight. I hope it keeps up since I'm now at 45,000 miles.
  • amacatulaamacatula Member Posts: 2
    No, it's not. There are other issues that can certainly be the problem.
  • imoimo Member Posts: 16
    TSB 10-076 - Steering Wheel Is Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speeds
    Applies To: 2005–10 Odyssey – ALL

Google for TSB 10-076 and read about this fix in the Ody forum.

I had this problem on the 2008 Ody. Hard to turn at low speed but pump didn't make any noise.
    I showed the TSB to the Service Adviser at the Honda dealer.
    They replaced the PS Pump with w/o any question since van still under warranty.
    Note: this PS pump is a newer version only available since November 2010.
  • sistarsistar Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2010
    I notice it was issued on November 25, 2010, less than a month ago.

I spoke with my local service manager on December 9 during oil change, complaining about low speed/parking lot power steering failure, he said he did not know anything about that, and recommended that I change power steering fluid to start with.
    I suspect he probably already knew it is a pump failure that requires replacement with upgraded pump, 2 weeks after the issue date, but for whatever reason he choose not to discuss that with me.

The car is 2006 Odyssey EXL/entertaiment and it has 68k miles. I bought it this summer from my neighbor who has relocated oversea. They knew this steering failure problem but did not take action.

I spoke with American Honda this morning and the word is - it is up to the service manager to make any call.

I am not able to sqeeze out extra $2k without a job right now, so I want try my best to get something called 'good-will' repair.

Any suggestion is welcome

===============
    Service Bulletin
    0„8 2010 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. ¨C All Rights Reserved
    November 25, 2010
    10-076
    Applies To: 2005¨C10 Odyssey ¨C ALL
    Steering Wheel Is Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speeds
    SYMPTOM
    The steering wheel is hard to turn quickly when driving
    at low speeds, such as when driving in parking lots.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    The power steering pump is not providing enough
    assist.
    CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace the power steering pump.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    Power Steering Pump Sub Assembly:
    P/N 56110-RGL-A03
    Power Steering Pump Outlet Hose O-ring:
    P/N 91345-RDA-A01
    WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
    The normal warranty applies.
    Operation Number: 512100
    Flat Rate Time: 0.6 hour
    Failed Part: P/N 56110-RGL-A02
  • sugarlandtxsugarlandtx Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2008 EX-L Odyssey that now has 32,000 miles, which we purchased new. We had the same problem with the power steering that others have had i.e. loss of power steering when trying to move the steering wheel from a fully left or right position. We took the van into the original dealer at about 20,000 miles, and they said since they could not duplicate the problem, they could not fix it.
    Months later, I read in this forum about another person who had the very same issue. They suggested a call be placed at the Honda America 800 number. I called Honda America and asked if there had been any problems with the power steering or if there had been a recall on it. The girl at Honda said she could not find anything, so I said I want to have a record of this conversation in case I needed to reference it in the future. I was entered into the database.
    December 22, 2010 we again took the van into the dealership to have them look at the power steering, for it has lost power steering a few times after the initial visit at 20,000 miles. The dealer must have looked in the Honda database and found my name and complaint, for this time the power steering pump was replaced under warranty, no questions asked. There is a brake recall and a transmission recall that was done under warranty as well.
  • rxp619rxp619 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    My 05 odyessy with 90k started making that groaning sound associated with a bad power steering pump just befor xmas. took it to the dealer and the said they would replace the pspump for 460. I did some research and found this on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-_qp1y4yc. Since the van has a very similar pump if not the same I replaced the oring this morning. It costed me 61 cents. So far the fluid is clean and its not making the noise anymore. looks like air was leaking into the system. Lets hope thats all it is.
  • leeclan4leeclan4 Member Posts: 2
    Since all of you are complaining about a knocking issue, I am certain it will show up in my vehicle soon. I have a 2010 EX-L and I've already had the steering pump + reservoir replaced as well as the passenger strut replaced due to memory steering.
    Since the forum revolves around steering issues, has anyone noticed that the odyssey steering is wobbly around turns? It's hard to explain, but the steering wheel tends jerk back out of turns instead of a smooth return to straight. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    I've already had 2 dealers look at it and of course the usual answers resound, "it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle."
    Frustrating!
  • amacatulaamacatula Member Posts: 2
    we have 2008 odyssey EXL same issue steering good thing I cought mine during warranty. They replaced my steering box. Now my other problem is axle it is popping once in while, I was complaining about it but they didnt diagnose the problem then, because there certain position and speed that would pop the sound. I have to drive the car with honda mechanics to diagnosed it, then they admit there was a problem on my right axle. But is too late now,warranty is gone, dealer courtesy doesnt want to honor it either, I have 46k on it right know. This was mention on the TSB a common problem. My axle doesnt have any split on the boots nor any leak. It is a factory defect that they dont want to admit. I am honda fan, but starting to hate it now. Axle would break for that number of miles! That's unacceptable..I even complain with honda customer service, still they didn't admit it is a defect.
  • johnnydugoodjohnnydugood Member Posts: 1
    Actually had my 2008 EX-L serviced yesterday for the same issue - for the axle popping - they replaced the right one - it is a known defect which is corrected in the replacement part - they changed the metal alloy. Even though I'm covered w/Honda Care - I was told it is orginally covered for 5yrs/60,000 from the in-service date whatever comes first - they also said to come back 6 months and they will replace the left one. Said they use to replace both but Honda corporate gave them a hard time about it. Also the service manager can also good will up to $500 at their discretion in certain matters. I would definitly take it up..
  • sapper326sapper326 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 EX-L with the same wobbly issue. We have been fighting with Honda on this since 9000 miles with no attempt to replace any parts to fix it.

At 68,000 miles, they finally replaced the left strut...not both, just the left. I don't see the logic in having one new strut and one with that many miles on it. They also replaced the power steering pump. The dealer had to get the blessing of Honda-Techline God to just do this. Issue still exists after both of the above replacements and our extended warranty expires next week (11/15/11).

After giving a "3 out of 5" in a customer service call from American Honda for "any issues not resolved", I received a call from Honda of Spring (formerly Goodson Honda North (Houston) where I bought the Ody and have had it serviced at since the purchase. They obviously did not like receiving a "3" on the review.

Anyway, my guess is that the issue is a combination of the remaining strut (the right side was not replaced) and the steering rack. These are the only two remaining items in the overall system that have not been replaced. My old service advisor (not with Honda anymore due to frustration with Honda-Techline), said it will take an act of Congress to get Honda to do anything until it breaks completely.

I have owned 4 Hondas and have loved all of them...except this Ody. It has been the most frustrating thing we have ever dealt with. Want to continue to recommend Honda to my family and friends, but can't honestly do it after this experience with an obvious lemon vehicle and no support from American Hondas.
  • chekrazechekraze Member Posts: 1
    I am getting exact same problem and started about same mileage as you experienced.
    There is no smoothness when steering wheel is returning to straight on position either coming out of a turn or if simply moving sterrign wheel left-right-left. It has a shaky, shuddering feel to it. Not at all Honda-like.

We had an 02 Ody and never experienced this. And this 2010 has been great until this. Very frustrating.

Dealer has been receptive and replaced PS pump which gave no improvement. I rode with shop foreman and of course the steering didn't act up then. Not sure what to do. Might call Honda America and see what they say.

My guess is not enough owners have spoken up about this.
  • boyosanboyosan Member Posts: 1
    I got a recall in the mail about my Honda Odyssey power steering pump in late November 2011. In December 2011 I took it to a local dealer to get it repaired/replaced. On completion, a whining noise could be heard at intervals. I returned to the dealer and asked that they take a look at the problem. They acknowledged the noise and checked their work and claimed that everything was done properly. The noise continued.

In January 2012, I returned again and asked them to check the whining noise. They came back a day later and said I had a leak in the rack and pinion rack and the cost to repair is $1400.00. I blew my top. After going back and forth with local management and Honda Corp. customer service, the dealer is going to repair the vehicle and wants me to pay a "$200.00" deductible.

This noise did not exist before I took my Odyssey in for the recall. I feel like I should not have to pay any money to repair this problem because this was not a problem previously. It became a problem when the local dealer handled the recall.

What am I to do?

The question is
    edited January 2012
    Perhaps a loose strut bearing or out of round rim or tire. Rotate the tires to see if the wobble moves. Could also be a wheel bearing or loose rack/tie rod.

If it's more of a pull than a wobble then you've got an entirely different problem.
  • jngrbrdmanjngrbrdman Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Odyssey is at 99,470 miles today and I just got the fix for the power steering pump this morning. They said I'm lucky because Honda is only allowing the warranty extension for this up till 100K miles. So another 530 miles and I would have been screwed. It is like driving a new van now. The stupid thing has been difficult to turn for the last three years, so this is a huge difference!
  • mikezinsatmikezinsat Member Posts: 1
    Hello boyosan,

May I ask what did you do please? Just found out today that my situation is very similar - i.e. power steering pump being replaced, and then they tell me, oh yeah by the way you have a leak in the rack and pinion and that'll be $1450 to replace!

- mz -
  • swest2004swest2004 Member Posts: 5
    I took out 2007 Honda Odyessy into Honda because when my wife brakes the car, the brake pedal goes WAY down and the van shakes like nuts. It is unsafe. We are at 76k miles and have conisistenty serviced the car.

I get an analysis for repairs of $2500 and leaks galore!! I am not sure if it is the same issue that people are bringing up but would love help.

They are saying that it needs a $1430 Rack Pinion repair for a leak, right axle seal leak repair, left rear shock leak, and resurface and brake pads even though at 60%.

I mean for a top-notch vehicle, isn't this nuts to have at only 76k miles???

I have never had a car that needed this much repair under 100k! Also I am getting conflicting info on machining the rotars versus replacing them. This just seems crazy. Anyone else having these issues and is there anything else I need to look into??

The repair guy said that the Odyessy is known for pinoin rack and this just seems nuts! Any advise is welcome please!
  • jbensjbens Member Posts: 1
    We delayed taking the car into the shop and now find out the recall ended 1 month ago. Anyone else run into this? Is there an actual expiration date? We are at 88K miles.
  • clwmikeclwmike Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Ody back in 2006. Since day one I had already noticed this issue when applying brake at 65 mph or greater. Brought it in and they said they could not find anything. I've heard some people just replaced the front rotors and that fixed it. I have not tried this yet.
  • ody6ody6 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like the same issue I'm having with my 06 Odyssey touring. The van only has 68,000 miles and we keep in garaged. Got the power pump replaced under extended warranty last December (2011). After the replacement the steering at low speeds still didn't feel like it was working 100%. Wife started complaining about the whining noise when turning at low speeds. When I took it in for servicing last month the dealer told me I had a major power steering leak in the rack & pinion that would cost $1400+ to fix. Haven't had it fixed yet. The service rep said they only get around one of these a year. Obviously really disappointed in Honda. This is on top of the negative experience we've had with bad harmonics, droning, and shuddering issues that have had multiple attempted warranty fixes; replacing collapsed engine mount a couple times, redesigned exhaust 'A' pipe, and the recent transmission software upgrade.
  • pdacunosjrpdacunosjr Member Posts: 1
    Goodness, I thought I was the only one having the hard steering issue until I found this thread. I have an 08 EXL and had the PS pump replace when it fails to gives power assist, it failed state inspection because of it!
    Honda Irving replaced it since its still under 30K warranty, now I'm experiencing a signs of hard to steer during slow parking. Im afraid this will end up losing the power assist again.
  • gosox1gosox1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, here is the prob that we had with our 08 Ody Touring with non pax tires. The steering wheel would vibrate back/forth 1-2 degrees around 70mph, then after a rotation of the tires, at speeds around 40mph. After much investigation, the dealer determined that it was the original Michelins LX4 out of round or with slipped belts (35K miles on the tires). So new tires have solved it, went with Michelin MXV4, which were better rated on tirerack.
  • csmith6789csmith6789 Member Posts: 2
    After an oil change at 52,000 miles, an engine whining noise started.

A mechanic said that the power steering pump needed replacing.

I researched this online, and it appears that the Hondy Odyssey van from 2005 onwards has this issue. However, it is unclear of the pump needs replacing or if it is the O ring that needs replacing - (it costs 50 cents online today!) see the post on Edmunds below.*

We are covered by an extended warranty, but I want to know other owners experiences, as it seems that just replacing the power steering pump does not solve the problem.

*"DO NOT TRUST THE HONDA STEALERSHIPS. They told me my high pressure line and power steering pump were leaking causing the whining noise when cold. They wanted $550 plus to install a new line and pump when the real problem was the inlet O ring which has been superseded by an orange viton type to stop the air leak which cause the whine and foaming in the reservoir. Honda should recall all V-6's with this problem but will not as it involves 100's of thousand Odysseys from 2005 to 2010. Research online to do the O ring repair before letting the Dealer Rip You Off. It is very difficult to get to the one single 10mm bolt to replace this defective O ring on the inlet line of the pump but a small swivel socket and 10mm stubby wrench works good. New Honda O ring part number is 91345-RDA-A01 and is a whopping $1.62. You also will need to top off your powers steering fluid with ONLY Honda/Acura Type." source: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f233644

and here is the O ring source
    http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=69&productID- =11&yearID=41&doorID=3&gradeID=5&areaID=2&transmissionID=7&originID=-1&colorLabe- lIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=13332%201248482
  • marinesgt1marinesgt1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Just had PS Pump replaced under extended warranty last week. Hmmmmm? 2007 model
  • wdycuswdycus Member Posts: 2
    What I did to correct the steering issue with my Odyssey.
    1. Had one of the Michelin tires replaced that was pulling.
    2. Had Honda replace both front strut assemblies (51601-shj-a19/51602-shj-a19) to replace the troublesome top bearings and top and bottom cap assemblies. Almost same cost as individual parts.
    3. Had Honda replace power steering pump AFTER struts to allow less pressure on the pump.
    4. Had Honda do a complete wheel alignment.
    Drives much better now. I paid for struts and alignment.
  • wdycuswdycus Member Posts: 2
    More information related to the original post.
    The strut assemblies (51601-shj-a19/51602-shj-a19) are complete assemblies with springs and all hardware including bearings and caps. Not just struts. The key to the fix is replacing the bad bearings that keep the steering wheel from easily returning to center. It was a lot easier to get the entire assembly replaced without going through the details of issues with the factory cap placement and such.
    I also had to have the idler pulley, pump pulley, and belt replaced after they started making noise shortly after the power pump replacement.
  • skinhealerskinhealer Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    Having problems with my odyssey steering since my rear drivers side tire blew, got it changed at the dealership and they you have to get the handling and aliment done otherwise one of the tires will wear-out. Since then my van started swaying to the left. Spoke to the dealership and they said they tested it and it wasn't there. But on a daily basis i can tell esp. when going on the local roads. This was a big difference from before.

Anybody have any ideas in regards what can be the problem.
  • decemberbdecemberb Member Posts: 1
    I had the power steering pump, reservoir and serpentine belt replaced to a tune of $719.00. Today I was sitting at a light and I hear a narley sound like chewing up metal and then white smoke coming from under the hood. After being towed, because the steering wouldn't work, I found out it was the belt tensioner? I now have 92,000 miles on my 2007 Honda Odyssey. They obviously have major issue with their steering system.
  • tobias_funketobias_funke Member Posts: 1
    Our 2010 Honda Odyssey has been making a whining noise for some time now. It seemed to me that it was clearly the power steering pump. That said, I read this thread and then called the dealer. He did a VIN check on my vehicle and told me this:

"HONDA HAS EXTENDED THE WARRANTY FOR THE POWER STEERING PUMPS TO 7 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES SO BRING IT IN AND WE WILL REPLACE IT"

Thus, do not go spend money to get this fixed without talking to the dealer. When I saw above that people have spent money to solve this problem, I was surprised that I had not seen a post like the one I am making.

Good luck to those with a whining power steering pump.
  • gotovritgotovrit Member Posts: 5
    2004 Honda Odyssey. This is my first and last Honda. I cannot believe the amount of money I've had to sink into the pos. I love the van. What I don't love is every time I fix something, another issue arrises. I've spent almost 2k this year and now the ps/ rack and pinion is broken. I've dealt with the front end shaking violently since I bought it over a year ago.  I went thru the records and both previous owners spent A LOT on repairs as well. I'm now convinced, I'm stuck with what was probably a lemon.