Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• drivvendrivven Member Posts: 54
    Believe it or not, we've gotten some results from our dealership. About a month ago I took it in and gave one of their technicians a ride to witness the problem. As always happens, nothing happened!!! But finally, and just barely, as we rounded an uphill bend and the tranny was just upshifting it did its little magic thing only for an instant, but it was enough for the technician to feel it.

As luck would have it, the dealership was being moved in the next couple of days and we were headed out of town for 2 weeks so the response was not immediate. When we got back, I called the dealership and they said things had been hectic with their move (caused by the eminent domain issue) and they'd not gotten to the issue. Then out of the blue I got a call 2 days ago from the parts department saying the torque converter for the VUE had arrived and we needed to set up an appointment for the replacement!!! How about that, some action from the dealership. And they said everything is covered including a rental car.

I must tell you people tho, this is a 2004 VUE V6 FWD only and we have an extended drivetrain warrenty to 60K miles. Luckily for us we're at 58.4K miles right now.

So, our story supposedly ends happily. I can only hope that most of you will have the same result.
  • rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 23
    I had a similar creaking noise in my 2003 fwd Vue . I had 64000 km and no other
    repairs to date. It was loudest when I turned to the right. With great trepidation, I
    took it to the dealer with visions of several thousand dollars for struts,front end
    power steering etc.

Turns out the dealer replaced two tie-rods for $290. Said they were loose(guess you don't just tighten them. Bottom line :the noise is gone and the wife is happy.
  • bertieferrisbertieferris Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 Saturn VUE with the V6 and a 5-speed automatic transmission. It is an All-Wheel-Drive model. I want to tow this vehicle behind my motor home. The owner's manual says all but vehicles with the VTi transaxle are towable. How do I know whether or not I have the VTi transaxle?
    I believe the VTi transaxle you refer to was only available in the four cylinder version of the VUE. At the time we bought our 04 VUE I queried Saturn about towing the vehicle behind the motorhome. They sent me (or I got one from my dealer) an addendum to the manual that referred to towing. Strange as it may sound, the restriction is that you can tow the vehicle but only for 512 miles at which time you have to unhook it and drive it around for a few miles, probably to get the tranny fluid where it needs to be. Then you can re-hook the vehicle behind the motorhome and be on your merry way. There is something else you have to do when you tow but right now that process escapes me. If I find the supplemental sheet I'll put it into words for you.

In the meantime you might ask your dealership if they have specific instructions for the towing issue.
  • bertieferrisbertieferris Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I have the supplement you refer to. Just wanted tommake sure I didn't have the VTi transaxle. Thanks again.
  • tomme12tomme12 Member Posts: 11
    We are thinking of buying a used Vue AWD 3.5l with 70k on it. Anything we should be looking for? Purchase a warranty plan or?

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While waiting for specifics about the Vue, you may want to review the Used Car Buying Checklist.
    I would say just peruse this forum and you'll find a lot of issues that you might encounter.
  • weshelman69weshelman69 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Vue with 3.5 V6, AWD with 34K miles that exhibits this occasional shudder at low speeds.

Has this problem been previously reported on 2005 model year vehicles?

Thanks
    I'm not sure if the AWD versions had the same problem but ours has been "fixed". It was diagnosed as a faulty torque converter and our extended warranty covered it. So far no problems.

We're in the middle of a fairly long trip into Minnesota and we just checked our mileage for two tanks of fuel - 24.6 and 28.7!! The 24.6 was affected by some long waits in traffice getting out of our metro area. This is on the V-6 FWD only version of the '04 model. No tail wind to speak of but I held it to a pretty steady 65mph even though the limit was 70mph for most of the journey and even in South Dakota where the limit is 75 I still held it to 65. I have a feeling it really makes a difference.

The rest of the trip will tell if I've made a wise choice. Since we're on vacation we don't have to be at point B at any specific time we can travel "leisurely".
  • klass65klass65 Member Posts: 3
    I also bought a 2008 Vue in June 2008. I bought mine at Saturn of Macon, GA. Three days after I bought it, I noticed a very loud sqeaking noise as we were loading the trunk for vacation. I noticed that the car squeaks when you get in or out of it, and when you rock it. While I was on vacation (drove from Ga to Maine or I would have returned it within the 1500 miles) the salesman called and asked how everything was. I told him about the squeak and he said bring it in when you return and we will be glad to fix it for you. Yeah right. (this is my 3rd Saturn, and the 2nd Vue, all bought from the same dealership) My husband took the car up when we returned from vacation and they couldn't get it to squeak. The car squeaked EVERY DAY!! It did it when he brought it back. The car has been up there FOUR time--the second time they lubed it and tightened bolts....squeaked when I got it home. The third time the sales manager and a mechanic heard the squeak, but they could not duplicate it. This past week the service manager heard it when I took it in. They lubed MORE parts--every time they'd call and say "we've driven it and can't hear anything". From day one I told them it didn't do it when I drove it. Nobody listened. After the second time of taking it in, I called Corporate Customer Service. They worked with me until I was so pissed off they got another person hire up involved. (I am sure I was called a [non-permissible content removed], too!)
    Anyway, this last time I picked it up, it was squeaking, so the service manager called a mechanic over and he got under the car. He determined it was the EMERGECNY BRAKE!! Those idiots couldn't duplicate the noise because it only does it when the brake is ON and they never had the brake on when they worked on it, and I use it everytime I turn the car off. Which explains why it would do it again as soon as I got home. Corporate told me today it wasn't anything they could fix. So, I asked them what they planned to do about the DEFECT and she said it wasn't a DEFECT since it was in the DESIGN. What???? I plan to contact someone higher than her and get something done.
    I am looking into the lemon law, and you should, too. With yours since it is a safety issue, you should be able to file a claim right away. I did a search online for "lemon law" and it gives you all the info you need to file a claim. You have to do it within so many miles.
    Oh, and the salesman got mad at me because I only gave him satisfactory ratings on the survey they send---he was fined $200 and reprimanded! Then he has the balls to tell my husband I filled out the survey WRONG!!
    Saturn is a different kind of company, alright. I've about had it with them.
    Good luck, and get started on the lemon law paperwork!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    If it only squeaks when the "Emergency Brake" is on....What's the problem!!!! What do you do, shake the car so it squeaks. If the E. Brake is ON on how can it squeak unless you are moving the vehicle. Good luck on your Lemon law on that complaint!!!
    A brand new car shouldn't squeak at ALL! They are saying it's the ways the E brake is designed. I view it as a DEFECT. If it is on (as it ALWAYS is when my car is off and in park) and you get in it, it squeaks. Saturn is not willing to take the blame for....or do anything about.
  • tsabtsab Member Posts: 2
    Iam looking at buying a 2003 Saturn Vue, V4 Manual with 160,thousand miles as my first car? What your honest opinion? I need to know everything as I am scared to waste my money!
    I read a good bit about the Vue before I bought my 2005 one. Consumer Reports stated there were a lot of problems with the 2005 that were taken care of by the time the 2005 came out. I have a friend who has a 2003 Vue and she had transmission problems from the start. Saturn eventually replaced the transmission for her. I would suggest taking it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked out before you buy it. Hopefully if this was one of the ones with a lot of problems, they were corrected.
    I loved my 2005 Vue, never had one problem with it. I don't care for some of the interior design changes in the 2008, but it's still a good car, except for the emergency brake defect. I'm still trying to deal with that.
    Good luck!
  • gearhead12gearhead12 Member Posts: 1
    This is a great day. Today I finally got rid of my 2003 Saturn Vue. This vehicle has been trouble since day 1. The Saturn team promotes that they do things differently, and they do, they just don’t do most things better.

A few examples of things that have gone wrong: The front suspension sounds like it is falling out of the car and has been to Saturn several times for tightening of bolts…which has NOT fixed the issue. The transmission gives you whiplash every time you put it into DRIVE. The valve covers LEAK like Niagra Falls and the muffler has a hole in it.

Now I am somewhat capable of working on a vehicle – I am an Electrical Engineer that auto races as a hobby. I have fixed wrecked cars, and even built my own motors so I am not afraid to dig in and do the work. However, the design of this vehicle is ridiculous and frustrates even the somewhat mechanically capable customers.

In reference to the valve covers, the valve covers were leaking and upon initial investigation I thought oh I will just pull the valve cover off and clean the gaskets and re-install. Upon investigating the issue, I found each of the bolts in the valve cover (which I think is plastic) were loose and ready to fall out. I thought oh this must be why they are leaking and snugged them up (did not over tighten). Well the leak was less but still fairly bad. So I went back to investigate removing the valve cover to clean up and re-install. Well much to my surprise YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF TO REPLACE THE VALVE COVER AND THE SPARK PLUGS…..Who approved this design – some idiot that never got their hands dirty and has NO knowledge of what customer satisfaction is…..$500 - $600 to replace these parts – WHAT A JOKE……….

2nd Issue – Oil Filter Cover. Went to change the oil and found that the car doesn’t have a standard oil filter can. The motor is designed so that you only have to replace the element which is contained in a housing on the front of the motor. So instead of the $2 oil filter it cost you $6 for the element (remember it’s different – but it’s not better). So after a few oil filter changes I go to remove the oil filter cover and while removing it the cover breaks into 3 pieces. I call Saturn and they say they have plenty of these in stock and they get calls about them all the time. When I show up at the parts department they charge me some outrageous price (~30.00) for a replacement cover. I say to them that don’t you think you should give me the cover for free since it had a design issue (that I noticed was fixed on the new cover) and the attendant just laughs….and says NO……

3rd Issue – Tranny Clunks Into Drive. This issue started very early in the vehicles life and was defined by the dealer as STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. It’s funny because we were going to trade the vehicle in on a Nissan that was at a Saturn Dealer and the person that evaluated it for trade in said this vehicle has a tranny issue and we said well that’s funny because your staff told us that is standard operating procedure…..Funny that the Saturn Dealer couldn’t get their stories straight (is it a problem or is it Standard Op.) Needless to say we didn’t trade it in their…..

4th, 5th, 6th issue……………….I better stop or I may end up with a book…………..

In closing, all I have to say is it is a great day – BYE BYE VUE and YOU WILL NEVER EVER FIND ME AT A SATURN DEALERSHIP AGAIN.

And then GM wonders why they are hurting so bad --- I’m not….
  • unhappyvueunhappyvue Member Posts: 5
    I too have an 04 FWD V6 Vue. Sounds identical - tires @ 55k, brakes @58, same creaking sounds! Do you hear any rattle while driving? These are notorious for the front linkages disintegrating at 70-90k and front bearing going around 70K. Cost me about $300 to repair linkages and Saturn parts were surpisingly cheap - only about $20 per. Your engine bolts may also be loose or broken - that's been reported on this forum before.
  • jleitnerjleitner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 2.2 FWD 5 Speed and the engine light is on. The ODB II says it has an evaporative system failure. Where is this? Can I fix it? How?
  • kenwrenchkenwrench Member Posts: 14
    We have an '08 AWD. I don't find the factory Bridgestone Duelers to be particularly impressive. Does anybody have any thoughts on replacement tires? I was looking at the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread, or Michelin Hydro Edge, but they aren't made in the correct size.
    I have an 04 FWD Vue and went into sticker shock when I had to put my second set on @ 58k. I put on Hankook as they were the best I can afford, and currently have 50k on those Not great traction in snow but OK.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Make sure your gas cap is tight - its likely that it failed the gas tank pressure test last time it ran it. There have been some issues with the gas caps on these Vues. Some have actually needed to be replaced to correct the problem.

Also, if you post the actual code that you got its easier to help you than if you just tell us just the generic description - for some generic descriptions there are dozens of codes, each leading you to a different component.
  • dkoakiedkoakie Member Posts: 4
    Considering buying a 2009 Saturn VUE XE. I think I prefer the XR but trying to stay within budget. Does anyone have any advice as to whether there is a really big difference between the two other than power?

Any advice/comments/suggestions is helpful.

Thank you.
  • jleitnerjleitner Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have some advice. Buy a Hyundai or KIA! At least they are trying to sell cars that don't fall apart right after 36000 miles is up. I researched my 2005 Saturn Vue 4 cyl 5 speed pretty much B4 buying. At the time, it had good reviews. At a point in my life where I swore I'd never buy another American made car. But I understood the mfg process and thought GM had turned around. Perhaps my disappointment is not entirely the car, rather a suck [non-permissible content removed] dealership that wouldn't stand behind the AC line going out after 37,000 miles. I understand things can go wrong but after the way I was treated in that dealership... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SATURN.... EVER! The attitude must cascade down from corporate to the dealers who now find themselves trying to maintain a failing corporation and their own livelyhood now depends on what they can provide to the end customers from what's left of the dismanteled failure to steer the ship away from the rocks.

In a nutshell GM doesn't have the lamest clue about customer service and support. Selling a car that has 36,000 mile obsolesence built in will never impress me. Buying a Hyundia with 10 year 100,000 mile warranty says a lot about how they stand behind what they make. No matter where it is made. I don't care anymore. I hope the entire US Automotive and banking industry falls into the gutter and drowns. Then they can continue to wonder what they did wrong, never do anything to fix it and continue to be mediocre in the delivery of excellence. Be smart! Buy Hyundai or Kia! At least someone who will stand behind a part put on the car a little while after you drive it off the lot!
    Thanks for your input. I will most certainly research the other models. May I ask what year model you have?
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    My wife and I own a 2008 VUE (XR AWD) and we love it. It is our second VUE (first was an '05 V6 AWD) and the family has 3 other Saturns (L300, L200 and ION). We have been very happy with the service we've received from our local Saturn dealer and the cars have been reasonably reliable.

Specific to the VUE, the big issues for us were the smoothness of the 3.6L V6 in our XR versus the 3.5L in the XE. Also, we liked the body colored bumpers of the XR (our '05 had the black bumpers, and I wasn't so fond of them).

You are welcome to PM me off-line - click on my user ID and my email will show up in the profile box.

Here is a picture of our XR:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    Thanks for your post. The VUE is a really nice looking vehicle.

Yeah...a positive response. I guess you either love or hate Saturn. I test drove the VUE XE (4cyl) and of course it didn't have immediate pick up, but the vehicle drove remarkably comfortable and smooth. The salesman made me, and I mean made me, take a u-turn without slowing down to show how stable the vehicle handled on quick turns. I truly was impressed. I had just come from driving a CR-V and walked away unimpressed but was still considering until I test drove the Saturn VUE

The main reason I'm sold on a Saturn VUE is because we have a Class C RV and occasionally we will have to dinghy tow and Saturn pretty much gets the nod in the RV'ing community.

I'm pretty convinced that I will purchase a 2009 VUE but can't decide if its worth the $3500 to go to a XR (6cyl). Any thoughts?

Also, did you get a specific package that you think is worth the extra $'s? Living in Houston where temps have been in the 100's for the past 10-12 days, I really like the remote vehicle starter system.

Thanks for your reply and I welcome further comments.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I would think that the 4 cyl VUE would be a bit of a dog, performance wise - the VUE is pretty heavy, compared to similar vehicles.

Our VUE has the remote start system, though I think we've used it less than a dozen times in the two years we've had the car. Living in Colorado, it would come in handy in both summer and winter, but for some reason my wife just doesn't remember to utilize it.

Ours was a pretty early production model, so we couldn't get leather - which our '05 VUE had - but we did get the heated seats, which we love. Ours also has the auto-shift option for the automatic transmission, where you flick the lever to the left then go up or down to manually shift gears,. In Colorado, this is handy to engine brake on hills in bad weather - not sure how much use it would be in Houston, where it's flat.

6-CD system? Have it, but wife loves XM so we've kept the subscription current.

Towing package? Have it, but never used it - though it's nice to know we can drag around 3500 pounds of whatever if need be.

Navigation? Don't have it, but we do have the OnStar "Directions and Connections", so wife can use that to get to an address if necessary. Also, we own a handheld GPS system, which works just as well. I'd probably pass on the nav option.

Sunroof? Our '05 had it, the '08 doesn't, and the wife does miss it. That's more of a judgment call, however.

I'm guessing that you're looking at 2WD, living in Houston. We've got AWD, which, again, is nice in the winter. My wife feels more "in control" with the '08 than she did in the '05, especially in really bad weather. She's a native of Wyoming, so she's driven in lousy weather her whole life.

I imagine that there are some pretty good deals going on at the moment, given the uncertainty of Saturn in particular and the car industry as a whole.

Good luck!
  • agentbobagentbob Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03, 2.2 liter 5 speed and the reduced power light has gone on twice recently. Both times the power was resumed when I turned the ignition off then back on again. The last time, after the power was resumed, the engine became very loud. I drove it in my garage and since, I am unable to start it. I changed the oil, and the plugs. The engine turns over, however, it doesn't seem to fire. I smell the gas, and the belts are turning, but no fire. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • donneydonney Member Posts: 1
    :sick: i have a problem with my 2003 saturn vue i was driving all the sudden the car died and it wont start again i have no idea what is going on its not the battery its getting gas any suggestions
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Let me help you with this one. First thing you need to consider is performance vs economy, then options. If your're the kind of person that has a lead foot than the 4cly is not for you. If your're the kind of person that likes to pass on the highway, than a 4cyl is not for you. If you like options such as leather, nav system and a sunroof, than a 4cyl is not for you. Simply put, you'd be better off getting the 6cyl. I work at a Saturn facility as a service consultant and can't tell you how many times a customer comes in complaining about how sluggish their 4cyl Vue is. I try to explain to them without sounding rude that all the 4cyl perform this way and it's simply because that engine is being overworked from the weight of the vehicle. Getting a 6cyl isn't that much a of difference fuel economy wise. So if you can afford it, do yourself a favor and get the 6cyl. You'll be happy you did.
    Very happy to get your reply. I have already changed my mind to get a 6cyl, just waiting until my smartbuy is up in January 2010.

Thanks again for your opinion.
  • mbullheadmbullhead Member Posts: 3
    yes it does rocketbob. I bought one online. It does require installation to the tailgate. Two bolts off the tailgate attachment through the bracket for the air deflector and ur in business. My vue window always got dirty on the tailgate window and bumper. NOT ANYMORE. Just Google "Saturn Vue Tailgate Air Deflector" . I paid 67.00 plus shipping for mine. Goodluck and I know you will enjoy it.
  • mbullheadmbullhead Member Posts: 3
    I bought one online for 67.00 plus shipping. It does work very well. The backside of my 2003 Vue does not get dirty anymore. There are two different installation types. The one I have, bolts directly to the tailgate. Take off the two outer bolts from tailgate brackets and install the air deflector and tighten back. The other that I would not recommend in the self adhesive type. My buddy bought that one for 48.00 plus shipping online and 6 carwashes later it is off.
  • humantorch1080humantorch1080 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Fayetteville,NC and bought my Vue at 68.500 on Jan 08 and began experiencing the studdering at 30mph then at 45mph now at 50mph and it seems like the pedal is a rocking chair there is no equilibrium. I try to deal with it but on 35mph roads the car will began shaking and I try to ease on and off the pedal to stop the shaking and to not run into the back of other vehicles. Saturn wants all 20,000 of people with problems to all pay $100 to get what they already know is wrong checked out $2,000,000 plus in there pockets then they want us all to pay $2,000. WHICH PUTS $40 MILLION IN THE ACCOUNTS. we must not let them do this and at every available point we should call SATURN customer service and demand immediate action or they will get 20,000 calls a day !!!! I am behind this already filed my NHTSA report and will continue to file till i receive FREE repairs. How should a 2004 68,500 VUE need to have a transmission repair in 4yrs. !!!
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    That's an easy question to answer. They picked a sorry transmission to move a heavy vehicle with. The VTI transmission is a sad piece of machinery that should have never been invented. It does however carry a 5yr or 75k mile warranty, so you might want to find out what the vehicle's in service date is. Best of luck to you.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    -------------------------------------09/29/09------------------------------------ - - - -------------

The Saturn site clearly lists a Vue XR 4 cyl (FOUR cylinder) but there is no button to build a XR 4-cyl.

Saturn should either remove the verbiage implying they sell a XR 4-cyl, or else fix the button glitch.

See for yourself.... Build A Vue <
  • rvdmadrvdmad Member Posts: 6
    Not much activity on this site so I am not sure how many people look at it.
    I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with 17,000 miles on it. The warrantee expired last month and now I have my first problem. The directional signals will not cancel in either direction. The signals work fine but must be cancelled manually.
    Does anyone know why this is happening and any suggestions on repair?

Ron D
    Hello,

I will check the Factory Service manual and post what I find...
    You need to replace the turn signal lever - apparently there's a spring in it that tends to work its way out.

the part is cheap and you do the repair in your driveway without taking off the steering wheel, you just have to remove the top & bottom trim covers on the column and there are 2 bolts and a wiring connector that holds it in. The part is under $ 30 at rock auto.

Here's the link:link title

Good luck,
    John :shades:
  • rvdmadrvdmad Member Posts: 6
    John

Thank you for your help. I have ordered the part from Rock Auto and will replace the part as soon as it arrives.

Ron D
  • mishahmishah Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I was changing engine oil, but instead unplugged the Automatic fluid bolt, brownish color.
    Good that smelled it , and it was different from normal oil.
    That fluid is saved almost all of it, except little spill,
    Car was in Park gear, engine off.
    Is it Ok to just refill the old liquid back trough the plug located in the engine compartment.

What to do when first time will start engine?Just drive or must follow some steps.

But know I know where is the correct oil plug is located.(in oil pan corner, vertical to ground!)

Thanks
    YIKES!!!

Don't reuse the old fluid...Buy new fluid and add exactly what was drained out. Your Vue has a VTi transmission and there's an entire page of a procedure in the factory service manual on how to refill the trans which calls for adding fluid based upon transaxle temperatures...not for amateurs. This is not a "regular" automatic transmission...

My opinion: Put back in exactly what you took out and then drive it to a shop or dealer that is familiar with the VTi trans and have them make sure that the fluid is at the correct level...The VTi is one of the most tempermental transmissions ever - last thing you want to do is refill it with fluid that was just in your oil change pan...
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    I'm considering purchasing a 2005 Saturn Vue with a 3.5 L6. The car currently has 122,360 miles on it. I'm pretty sure it's a Honda engine.

Assuming the car was well cared for, how long can I expect this engine to last?
  • jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2011
    It is a Honda Engine. It is my understand, 05 thru 07- V6 are all Honda.
    I have an 05 Vue V6 with appox 100k miles.. I have only did the timing belt per maint. requirement. Have replace front struts and rear shocks..and of course, brakes.
    I expect to get over 200K. on this auto.
    It gets good MPG for a V6.
    Hopes this help.
    The Honda engine won't be a problem, but the Vues do have problems with their suspension (bearings, shocks, struts, engine mounts, bushings are all plagued with problems) and transmissions problems -in 2009 GM issued a soft recall and giving $5000 in credit for transmission replacement. The converter also has problems.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    Is that soft recall still valid?
  • jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    You may well be correct in the problems with the Vue....Maybe, I have just been lucky, but nothing serious at this time, approaching 100k miles.

Pls look at this link for problems with Saturn autos.
    http://www.carcomplaints.com/Saturn/Vue/
    I see per their chart, that the '03, '04 and '06s are a source of problems.

Good luck with your autos.

I have owned many auto in my years and found they all have problems....that way they have service bays, as a big shot Auto guy told me, once.
    A Santa Fe is one of my recent autos, and so far so good. My 4runner has had some issues but nothing serious, serious. The biggest problem, I have had so far is the Toyota Dealers on fixing problems that I have had with it.

No More Toyota in my driveway........thanks to the dealers...I can fix car problems, but not people problems..........
    Can not fix what you did not break.
  • natmatt23401natmatt23401 Member Posts: 2
    Took my 2008 Saturn Vue to the shop AGAIN this morning for the 6th time. BCM problems each time. It all started around 30,000 mles. At that time I had to haggle with GM to pay half of the repairs now come to find out it is all under warrenty covered under the power train? I still don't understand that, it is a computer problem not a powertrain problem. I shouldn't have to pay anything and should be reimbursed for the $700 I paid the first time there were troubles! The problems start with warning lights that come on, usually the ABS, tire pressure, or anti skid light. Then while driving at about 50 MPH the RPMs will suddenly jump up to around 3 then shoot back down. If you ignore the warning lights for too long (about a week) the car will just suddenly die when you are on the interestate. You can put it in neutral and start it again, but after you drive about 25 feet it will shut down again. I now have 98,929 miles on my car. The warranty supposedly runs out at 100,000. This is so disappointing. I ordered this car from the dealership, had it made just for me and pulled it off the lot with 0 miles. I was the first person in my city to have one. I have owned 8 GM cars/trucks over the past 20 years and my grandfather was a retired GM employee. I am utterly disqusted that GM has not done a recall on this car for the BCM problems. Very very disappointed in a company that I have been faithful to for over 20 years.
  • gymnastjgymnastj Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying this as my first vehicle for college. What questions should I ask and what should I look for. How reliable is the vehicle? I have read mixed reviews.
    The 2003 Vue with the 4 cylinder/5 speed is a pretty good choice. One problem has been with the timing chain oiler. Its failure led to the failure of the engine. They don't all do it but some do. starting in 2004 they changed the part to get rid of the problem. One way to avoid the problem is to be sure that oil changes are kept up with...also, if the motor is quiet, chances are you don't have a problem. The timing chain will give plenty of warning before it breaks.

Things to look for:

rattles, rattles, rattles...these Vues are a noisy bunch and make a lot of front end noise. Common problems are with the front wheel bearings, struts/strut bearings and swaybar links. None are necessarily really expensive, its just something to be mindful of.

Clutch slave cylinder...the 02 and 03 models have had a history of slave cylinder failures. There's really no way to know if its good or bad short of driving it. Its about a $1500.00 repair but then again we are talking about a 9 year old car so things are bound to break.

The radios are all not very good...whatever that means to you...

May I suggest that you look for a 2006-2007 model with the 4 cylinder and automatic trans...many fewer problems and nicer interiors.

DO NOT BUY ANY 4 CYLINDER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MODEL FROM 2002-2005!!! There have been many failures and very few last to 100000 miles...most not even half of that. The V6 models from any year are OK...the 04-07 models came with a V6 built by Honda that many people say is great.

Hope this helps...feel free to post questions...