Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• chevyfan15chevyfan15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Acura MDX with 83000 miles on it about 20000 miles ago it started to make a rumbling/vibrating noise at 45mph going up a slight hill. The tach will jump back and forth while doing this. Also while i was backing out of a parking lot i moved into gear and felt a shuttering from the trans as if it was slipping. to add to this while i was pulling out of an intersection the tach would not go above 2500 and go out of 2nd gear with the pedal literally on the floor nothing would happen. besides the trans problems multiple other problems have started. the dvd player quit,homelink never would work no light or anything,the adjustment handle on the passenger side fell out, the leather center console has had peeling leather, rust on the back door and security problems. we have always had chevy/gmc cars and trucks all over 100000miles with little to no problems they will run for ever. compared to this [non-permissible content removed] crap. save time and money buy American! will never buy another "Crapura" :lemon: :sick:
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "we have always had chevy/gmc cars and trucks all over 100000miles with little to no problems they will run for ever"

If your chevy/gmc's were so great, why didn't you stick with them?
  • dc1225dc1225 Member Posts: 53
    because its chevy/gmc and some people don't want to be lumped in w the farmers hilbillies and low class people that drive them.
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    A Honda product normally gets 250k to 350k miles, a lot better then GM. Also, GM products have high failure rates with their electronics, and they won't stand behind all the experimental failures with the Cadalac products. It's just that Acura dropped the ball on the MDX.

Keep in mind that GM is just an middle-rate product. Acura is suppose to be a premium model. Maybe they hired some GM engineers?

It's common knowledge that the forgien companies are learning to make cars cheaper in quality. My next car will be a Ford.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...why didn't you.."

Wanted to try out some of this new, more exciting, technology...?
    Ford, FORD...!!!

These days to get a decent Ford you have to have the kind of deep pockets it takes to buy a Lexus.
    LOL so I get a letter from local Infinity dealer telling me that they would give me 20,600 for my 06 mdx. I guess apparently people are looking for used mdx and that they are having hard time finding used mdx.

My cars worth 21600 according to KBB(excellent). This got me thinking maybe i can dump my mdx and get a hummer h3?

Anyway, guys, apparently used mdx's are very much in demand right now so I guess you will get back every penny and then some if you decide to unload it.

But then I just read this article today about used car prices are going up unbelievably. I noticed that edmunds 06 mdx rating is 4.7 even w the tranny issues.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-used-car-prices-to-rise-2011- 0621,0,5778742.story

Thoughts???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    "We need your car" letters have been a marketing tool for dealers for a long time.

If you want to trade, go check out your options. Used car prices are nuts right now so you may indeed like the deal offered. Don't get your hopes up too high - Kelley's numbers are asking prices. Check for the TMV under the Used Cars tab above; chances are it's a bit lower, especially the trade-in value.

But the letter isn't unique to you or to MDX owners (but you don't have to let the dealer you know that). :shades:
    hahah, yeah the thought REALLY crossed my mind let me tell you as I continue to hear my torque converter whistle....I am on the fence. The thing is I can get a 06 07 hummer w 60 70k miles for 15 to 17k, no problem in my area.

I have to research da hell outta H3 about reliability. I am not about to go from a headache to a bigger headache or migraine! If the H3 was 7 seater, I'd be at the dealer already.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    The H3 is just a re-bodied Envoy/TrailBlazer...

I'd guess that reliability/repair is poor..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bluelady1bluelady1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

My MDX has 47000 miles. It had the same problem and was jumping when I braked like the accelerator pedal was stuck. I took it in to the dealer and they did a software update. Did not fix the problem. It is dangerous and will cause personal injury if the brakes do not grab. The Acura people claim there is no problem. There is and I will contact governmental agencies about this serious and dangerous situation.
  • davidtoombsdavidtoombs Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem with my 2001 MDX.I replaced transmission and still same problem. Did power control board solve problem?
  • rastrosrastros Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2002 Certified MDX, bought in 2006. Was sold a 7yr/100,000 mi extended warranty from Honda. The fee also included 3yr bumper to bumper coverage. Today, car has 86,000 mi and I have owned 5 yrs., and transmission has failed. I assumed coverage was there. But----despite contract saying in BOLD at top---7yrs/100,000, the fine print at bottom implies that for certified cars, coverage is retroactive to in-service date. That was not made clear at sale time. In other words contract seems "split"---with bumper to bumper good from date of car sale (2006), but powertrain good from car in-service date (2002). In addition contract indicates in fine print that a "pre-owned" Honda has coverage from date of sale, while certified is from in-service. Since my car is both pre-owned and certified, do I have a case? Both Honda and local dealer say No. Any thoughts? I feel deceived. Thanks.
    Our 2003 MDX was purchased used from a Honda dealer under the same conditions. Our trans failed at 108k miles. Because we had the 100k extended warranty, and that I complained and threatened them from info I learned on this blog, Honda paid 90% of our replacement trans.

Keep complaining, make them call Honda in California and don't settle for less. File a complaint at the Better Business Bureau for starters if they don't give in.

Next car, don't buy a Honda product. My next one will be a Ford.
    "...My next one wil be a Ford...!

That would be a bigger mistake.
  • rastrosrastros Member Posts: 3
    Why do you suggest calling Honda in California? I called an 800 # so I'm not sure where it was. The dealership has no interest in contacting Honda for me at this point, although Honda did agree tyesterday to throw in $ 500. Also, exactly how did you threaten them? What was the threat?
    A contract attorney suggested I could take them to small claims court myself, since hiring him would be too expensive. Is that the threat?
    Thanks,
  • samsusamsu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am about to buy used 2005 MDX base with 70K miles on it for $14k from individual seller. One of my friend told me about transmission issue and I checked this forum and now it got me worried.
    I test drove car and everything seems ok but I am no expert and 5 mins of test drive is not going to give me any insight.
    Let me know if there is any suggestion and or something I can do to verify transmission before buying.
    thanks,
    Sam
    It appears that when Acura switched the MDX from the VTM-4 system to the SH-AWD system mid-decade the transaxle failures became less of an issue. I don't really know when the switch was made.
  • antonvanpeppenantonvanpeppen Member Posts: 1
    My MDX is at the dealer right now. Same problem as everyone else, shuddering below 45 mph, clunking or a hesitant jerking when going from coasting to accelerating. Leith Acura in Fayetteville, NC wants $4400.00 to replace the transmission. They said that they could not offer any discount because I am the 2nd owner. Broken front motor mount as well - they want 465.00 for that. I told them to get stuffed and am taking it ot a budget transmission shop. Will trade the piece of junk at my first opportunity.
  • jhwang221jhwang221 Member Posts: 1
    What do you guys think about pooling information together over here and getting some sort of class action lawsuit going?

The 2003 MDX has had a large amount of torque converter and transmission failures and has had no sort of recall done. I would be willing to compile the information and send a claim through to the Better Business Bureau or any other route that would be necessary.
    edited July 2011
    Why not simply make an appointment with a lawyer in your town? Lots of times an initial consultation is cheap or free. You might get some satisfaction in a few months vs waiting a couple of years or more for a class action to go through the mill. And you might get something better than a coupon for an oil change.

I'd rather take my chances with an Acura paid BBB arbitration than wait forever for a nebulous class action suit.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)
    get the ball rolling and let us know and im sure everybody who's had problems will jump on board.
    Seems to me that if you have a problem, you should try to take care of it yourself, not depend on some stranger to go to bat for you. May as well wait for Godot to show up.
  • dmortazdmortaz Member Posts: 26
    I would thing a grass roots branding campaign would be more effective. For instance, someone could set up a "Acura MDX Death Trap" page on Facebook with us requesting "LIKE" from all of our circles might put these guys to shame!

But it might take a lot of hits to this page, since from my experience Customer Service folks still don't get "it"!! Lexus guys get it and understand the value of customer acquisition and retention. In our case the retards at Acura Customer service didn't want to waive the $1000 the dealer wanted us to pay for the installation cost of a re-built transmission!!

In contrast, Lexus gave us 4 brand new Michellens when we complained about the noise and rattling of the steering wheel from warn out tires on a a LEASED car w 43,000 miles on it!!

That's why we can't wait to JUNK our MDX and get a Lexus. The experience of dealing with Acura folks vs Lexus is night and day!

We've had horrible experience w Acura on Product Quality, inconsistent dealer experience and miserable Customer Service at Acura USA on our 2004 MDX.
    edited July 2011
    Companies are paying attention to Facebook and Twitter. I still think it pays to be specific about a specific problem with a specific vehicle. Lots of people complain to the NHTSA too, but it can be years before they take action on problems that create unsafe driving conditions.

On the other hand, if you go to the BBB or your local consumer protection agency you may get relief a few weeks or months. Or do both BBB and Facebook at the same time.
  • selgesselges Member Posts: 1
    In reading all the issues with the Acura transmission, I'm joing the club. 86k and no other issues ever...now replacing the transmission. I feel so "raped" by Acura and am in awe to what other issues others have had. Where do I start to get some help paying the bill on the tranny?
    edited August 2011
    I would recommend you take the VIN number to the dealership and see if's subject to a recall! And while you are waiting for them to get back you, check out a Lexus instead of Acura!!

We have been extremely disappointed at the Poor Quality of many items on our 2004 MDX. From the sound system, radio reception (Acura folks could NOT even get a BOSE system to work where we get static from local FM channels) and your favorite topic the MDX transmission and 80% plus chance that it will eventually fail you.

Our saga with transmission is too long to re-post, but suffice it to say that it's not worth the headache.

Also remember that you have another $900-$1900 cost just around the corner since you will need to replace the timing belt at 80k miles!

It's NOT worth it. Acura MDX is NOT a luxury brand when it comes to services and product quality. Avoid it.
  • rkubs68rkubs68 Member Posts: 2
    What I did was to contact the Consumer Customer Service at Acura.
    Customer Relations Department Acura
    1919 Torrance Blvd. 500-2N-7E
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    Toll free: 1-800-382-2238
    I explained my situation that there were a litany of transmission failures in my model year, yet no recalls. I was patient and answered all of their questions while stating that I had taken my MDX in for the same problem at 50K miles but no one at the dealer could diagnose the "rumble strip" sound. They asked me if I had owned any other Hondas in the past. This has to do with loyalty and their willingness to subsidize the repair. They ended up paying 75% of the cost of the torque convertor replacement in the end.
    You can also start by contacting your dealer service manager and let him do the work. If he doesn't, then go around him.
    Should I have stuck it out and got more out of them, maybe. I was tired of the hassle.
    I held out a little longer because I was so pissed and got them to pay 90%.
    Before you recommend a jump to Lexus you might want to read about the extraordinarily high faulure rate of the early transaxles, 99 & 00 especially, but on into the entire RX300 model series.

Not to mention the non-functionality of the Rxes F/awd system in comparison to the SH-AWD system.
  • ahkelly74ahkelly74 Member Posts: 1
    Can you send me the recall information you received from steve? Thanks
    That link to the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide still works, and you can get TSB and recall info there.
    edited August 2011
    Where is Anderson Cooper when you need him!?

I wonder if a Tunisian style protest where we torch a few Hondas & Acuras in front of their US Corporate Headquarters would get their attention!? :mad:

If we get a sponsorship from Lexus, I will be more than happy to torch our 2004 MDX. The statement it makes is that I don't want ANOTHER person suffer the SAME fate or poor product quality, poor workmanship, and in-consistent dealer support at the Handa/ Acura!

Does anyone know Michael Moore!? He might want to make a documentary film of this!
    edited August 2011
    Call Acura Corporate and they might cover some of the cost; if you have done majority of the service at Acura! They offered us an option to pay $1000 towards the cost of installing a re-built transmission.

Basically, they are throwing in the transmission for FREE and you pay for the installation cost of the dealer. Our attempt to wave the 1,000 didn't go anywhere, so we didn't replace it specially since the 2nd dealer did NOT suspect there was a problem w transmission.

Good luck and read my post about torching our MDX in front of their corporate headquarters if Lexus sponsors it. :cry:
    Your link doesn't work, must have been pulled.
    edited August 2011
    May be a temporary glitch - worked for me just now. Here's the AutoObserver version:

Ford, Honda, Chrysler Launch Big Recalls
  • ldbjrldbjr Member Posts: 2
    I am on this forum because I have been trying to figure out why our 2004 mdx has been getting 13 MPG. The acura dealership paid part of the repair cost for the torque coverter and ever since then I am getting roughly half the mileage we used to get out of the preowned certified car (was 24MPG measured multiple times).
    Driving back from the shore last night (wife's car I do not drive it normally) I noticed the RPMs at one point were about 2,000 at 70 MPH. Next time I looked down they were 2,700. It didn't click at first but then I started to take my foot off the pedal and let the RPM drop down below 1500 and slowly reapply power and sure enough it would bite at 2000 and maintain 70 MPH until it would slip our of D5 again and I would have to repeat the process.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have been back to the dealship over 8 times since they changed that converter asking about my poor mileage.
    13 MPG for goodness sake!. Its been eating out of house and home.

My email is kflb143@verizon.net
    Thanks
  • fellowes1fellowes1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2005 Acura MDX Touring with Nav/DVD brand new from Open Road Acura of Wayne, NJ. For a luxury vehicle I expected much more, especially from Acura corporate. Never once other than a week after my purchase have they followed up with a phone call for all the problems I've encountered with my MDX. Let me share with you my true experience: Two weeks after my purchase, there was rattling coming from my drop down DVD; took it in to dealer and it was fixed. Then there were several other minor problems that dealer fixed under warranty. Still within my warranty period, woofer and bass from stereo system was vibrating loudly in rear. This problem still continues today after dealer quick fix. Then DVD and Navigation stopped working and dealer replaced. Again and again, I took MDX to dealer to address loud squeaking noise coming from idler, tensioner pulley. First they cleaned and conditioned but noise resurfaced. I took it in several other times but idler/tensioner puller was never replaced even though there was a recall or TSB on this particular equipment. This problem continues and I reported it to client care but they have refused to contact the dealer to address cost and fix. In fact, Julian from Acura care insisted that he could not call the dealer on my behalf. And, on my last two visits to Open Road Acura, I again addressed my concern with the ongoing noise from idler and tensioner pulley and whining noise coming from accelerating. (a)I was told that the belt was replaced but noise continues and is still present. I am in no way a certified Acura technician but common sense tells me that the idler and pulley itself needs to be replaced and the dealer is refusing to replace new without a cost even though this problem was documented in service history while MDX was still under warranty. (b) The noise coming from accelerating particularly on the highway 50-60 mph, I believe may be directly related to the idler pulley as well. It's the kind of sound that causes an earache similar to that on an airplane. The service advisor at Open Road Acura advised me that this is my transmission going bad and could fail at any time. I'm curious to know why the noise is not constant but only develops when the vehicle is accelerated. So, let's be real Acura. You tout and promote a luxury vehicle costing thousands of dollars with a life expectancy of less than three years for the transmission? This is outrageous! Especially, after I've maintained and only used Acura dealership for maintenance and preventative services. The Acura brand may be an excellent product for some but my MDX experience totally defies this belief. And, if measures and actions were taken to correct the problems and issues on my MDX, perhaps I would have felt otherwise. What happens if my MDX seizes up or causes a fatal accident due to the lack of corrective measures on the part of Acura? Who should I hold responsible? Could this be a cover-up to avoid a recall? We've paid a lot of money on our investment to be simply ignored by Acura Motors and it's not a dealer specific issue so let me hear from you.
  • sotoplasotopla Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my name is Sonny and I too purchased two brand spanking new Acura MDXs from Flatirons Acura in Boulder and and I am dissapointed and angry that my "investment" of $90000.00 dollars are slowing ebbing down the toilet. I was driving one day and the car just stopped and would refuse to get into any gear but the first so I took it to my dealer and they so graciously told me that my transmission was bad and it needed to be replaced and since I was such a loyal customer Acura very magnanamously offered to pay partial cost of the replaced transmission which I think was in excess of a thousand dollars, and this from the dealer I bougth the car from and had it dutifully serviced for all its minor services even oil change I did not risk with the lowly midas and quick lube. Id like to say from birth to the present my car had the same doctor so do my kids but thats another story, so I am schocked when I bring my car for regular check ups some one tells me the car needs a heart transplant!I would like Acura to take responsibility for this issue, for all Acura owners and I think its perfectly a good idea that we organise or get hooked to one of the Class Action suits. Just enought that Acura pays for all the major and minor repairs
    somebody get the ball rolling and Im in. At least email Acura corporate this link or something...
  • researchncarsresearchncars Member Posts: 1
    What years are the MDX's that you purchased? You didn't mention that.
  • blondie21djblondie21dj Member Posts: 4
    I too went through an issue with Acura and found out from extensive research that it is the torque converter which has a recall. I took my 2006 Acura MDX in for the torque converter recall and haven't had an issue since. If you do not get this fixed, you will need a new transmission. Also make sure that you flush out the transmission on a regular basis. Good luck.
    How can I check to see if our MDX qualifies for this recall!? Is it based on the Vin number and year!?
    Hi Folks,

I came across a NHTSA Item Number : 10020141which is the Service Bulletin Number 06004 recommending transmission replacements for 2004 MDX!! We have an MDX 2004 which has been diagnosed by ONE local dealer as needing a replacement transmission.

Customer Service folks at Acura insisted that we pay for $1,100 of the cost of this replacements and we refused. Now armed with this information, do we have a shot of getting the replacement done at Acura's dime since the Service Bulletin clearly calls for the replacement of the transmission.

We filed a complaint w NTSB, but any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated.
  • mnty77mnty77 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 MDX with 130k miles. I bought the vehicle in 2007 with about 40k miles and have been religious about the maintenance intervals (don't know how the previous owner treated the vehicle). At 125k I noticed a "whine" coming from the transmission area under loaded conditions (e.g. engine engaged, acceleration) and not while coasting. When I take my foot off of the fuel, it stops so it isn't the tires. When I downshift, the frequency of the whine doesn't change so it is not the engine or anything upstream of the final drive. It could be wheel bearings...it could be the final drive components in the tranny or just downstream in the drivetrain. I had the ATF flushed at 125, 92, & 46k miles so this is well within the recommended maintenance intervals. The vehicle runs fine...no miss shifts, slippage or vibration...just this low volume whine that changes frequency with the speed...starting around 45MPH all the way to 80MPH, therefore, my plan is to take it into the Acura dealer either when I have time or when it fails. The ATF flushes were performed at the Lube Center so I hope Acura will honor these documents as proof of regular and responsible maintenance given that the warranty expired a long time ago.
  • 22332233 Member Posts: 64
    Sales of Acuras are woeful due to their consistently shoddy transmissions and the lack of corporate interest in remedying the transmissions issues. The newer designs are laughable.

Myself and another family member had numerous issues with Acura's transmisions and most were not resolved to our satisfaction.

Don't be surprised if Acura goes the way of Oldsmobile and Pontiac.
  • sotoplasotopla Member Posts: 2
    Any one want to start a class action lawsuit against Acura for their faulty transmission work. I see enough people on the internet with the same problem that I have had of the transmission failing some at 60000 miles some a 100000 miles even after all regular scheduled recomended service was maintained. Please email sotopla@yahoo.com
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Member Posts: 20
    I'm in. Email sent. I also posted the info on the facebook page started to address this issue.
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    Excellent! These will be the vital first steps that must be taken to make it a powerful, legitimate class action suit.