Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My guess would be that the torque converter lockup clutch would be the weakest link insofar as driveline component failures resulting from the undue stress of AWD operation on a perfectly dry highly tractive surface.s

On the other hand the lockup clutch should NEVER be engaged during most times of AWD engagement....during low speed acceleration. Which leaves us with AWD and lockup clutch engagement only in turns, while turning.
  • MHirt1MHirt1 Member Posts: 6
    I can relate to your problem - replaced the TC on my 2005 MDX about 2 years ago, and now it appears that my transmission cooler has failed, resulting in intermingling of the transmission and radiator fluids and possible transmission failure. I think that your expectations are unreasonable, however. Your car is 9 years old with almost 150,000 miles and you're considering a class action suit because of a failure? You are way, way passed the warranty period. You simply cannot expect there to be NO mechanical failures after that amount of time and mileage.
  • mdxer7mdxer7 Member Posts: 8
    After much thought, I've decided to take the plunge again. My present MDX is 11 years old w/220K miles. 1st Transmission was replaced around 101K covered by dealer due to the fact I had had all prev maint done by them. I've had other issues over the years but 95% were covered under 7/100 warranty. Needless to say, I will also purchase a 8/120 warranty as I keep my vehicles a long time. Though the MDX has had its issues - there is no SUV out there that doesn't. When you buy a 4WD you will have "issues." I test drove many SUV's before making this decision - Lexus RX350 (thou very lux inside steering felt like an old ladies car) Toyota Limited Highlander (close runner up - still a bit truck-like), Honda CRV (Yuck), and the new 2013 RDX --- very nice, sporty, quick response...but just a tad too small for me. Anyway, nothing compared to the MDX (IMO) at this price point...so here I go again. I've loved my 2001(wh/is once again having minor TC issues) and I figure I'll be pretty happy w/my 2012 with extended warranty of course. :)
    edited May 2012
    "...4WD you will have "issues"..."

Your term "4WD", at least for me, implies having the ability to put the system in/out of 4WD manually, PB or otherwise. In that case any "issues" would generally be the driver's responsibility, failure to properly manage the system.

What everyone today seems to be selling, trying to sell, are "automatic" AWD systems that require no driver intervention, thoughfulness, or knowledge.

These fall into 2 categories, Pre-emptive or passive.

Most passive systems, after the fact systems, rely on TC braking, along with INSTANTANEOUS engine dethrottling, to "re"-allocate engine torque but only after driven wheelslip/spin is already present. Since this TC function eliminates, totally, the driver's ability to use the old tried and true method of "feathering" the throttle to get up and going initially, most now have a TC "off" capability.

The HL, WRX, and RX, RX prior to 2010, fall into the above category.

Then we have the PRE-EMPTIVE systems such as the WRX-Sti, MDX, RX (2010+), and the RDX (both "flavors, the prior RDX, and the new one using the same system as the newer RX).

We all know, are most certainly SHOULD know, that leaving a true 4WD system engaged on a tractive surface, even for a very short distance, will ALWAYS result in driveline component failure due to the HEAT from the resulting over-stressing.

So, what these new PRE-EMPTIVE "AWD" systems do is they automatically LOCK ("effectively") the center differential TEMPORARILY but only at/during the specific times, situations, wherein wheelspin/slip would otherwise be most likely to result.

Those times are:

1.) During low speed acceleration wherein it could be, were one on a marginally tractive roadbed surface, of great benefit to NOT have the primary drive wheels subject to the full level of drive torque.

2.) During low speed turns, "tight" turns, or even moreso accelerating during into/during a low speed turn. In turns wherein the lateral forces on the front tires build up substantially one can see it would be wise/best, to not have the front wheels remain the primary "drive" force.

If these vehicles are primarily driven on low traction surfaces, no harm, no foul. But drive them primarily on highly tractive surfaces or with a leadfoot and you are likely to endure some type of driveline component faillure post-warranty.

Were I in the market currently I would be seriously considering the base Porsche Cayenne or the VW Toureg. Both make use of the same electromagnetic clutch system as the newer RX and RDX, but in the front driveline vs the rear, R/awd.

R/awd biased AWD.

With either of these, F/awd or R/awd, using the electromagnetically controlled clutch, I would add a switch function....OFF/AUTO/ON. The latter state, locked on, would expire automatically, switching back in "AUTO" mode after the initial 30-60 period, or if the vehicle reached 20-25 MPH.

"OFF"...Extension of driveline component "life" well beyong the warranty period. IMMHO there is no need (Leadfoot = Exception) for any "AWD" functionality except upon driver recognition of adverse roadbed conditions, or the probability, <32F OAT, thereof.
  • eldjsourceeldjsource Member Posts: 1
    DAMN, I HAD A 2003 MDX AND BOOM MY TRANSMISSION WENT OUT. 3000 DOWN THE DRAIN... NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A ACURA..... THEY'RE PIECES OF CRAP..
  • dc1225dc1225 Member Posts: 53
    Guys, when I turn my wheel all the way to the left or right to do a u turn, my power steering makes this grinding/whining noise. No it's not tranny judder. Is this rack n pinion or power steering pump issue?
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Member Posts: 20
    To an extent this can be normal as it places strain on the power steering mechanism. That said, if it sounds louder or worse than normal, it is likely low power steering fluid. This can happen with time or from a leak. Check the level with the car cold. If you need to add fluid, make sure to buy HONDA power steering fluid. DO NOT buy any other type as the weight and make up is unique. It can be purchased at any auto parts retailer or from your dealer. It's only a few bucks for the container. If the sound doesn't go away or returns in short order, you have a leak or some other type of failure and it's time to get the system checked out.
  • lovegmc1lovegmc1 Member Posts: 37
    We had a 2004 MDX also with the same torque converter problems! Along with ford and Lexus, try gmc the Acadia is beautiful(it's our new car) and they are redesigning it next year :)
  • h30h30 Member Posts: 1
    I'm the original owner of an MDX 2002. The mileage is 92K. It just got the 90K service from the original dealer where I bought the car. I hear some noise so I think it was related to the brake. I brought the car to the dealer, which performed all the maintenance since day-1. The suggestion is timing belt, then motor mount and I don't know what it is. The dealer fix an transmission electronic switch, but we feel the same problem. We brought the car back. The dealer say it is the transmission issue, and the estimation for fixing it is $6K. Thinking about the motor mount estimation, about the timing belt estimation, and now about the transmission, I declined the suggested transmission fix because all the fixes will cost more than the blue-book price of the car (est. 8k). The engine light is permanently on when I got the car back from the dealer. I drove car back home and park it, very sad and upset. Any suggestion is welcome.
    We Had an 04 that shuddered! The dealer said it'd cost thousands of dollars to fix! So we took it home, then the problem got worse, to the point that we drove less because every time we hit 30-45 it'd do it again! So glad we sold it! When we got our new car(2012 acadia), I was so happy that it didn't shudder! I feel like the acadia is more luxiourious than the Acura was! And it's been problem free so far! It's so nice to have a break from the shuddering! Acura really needs to fix this issue because there are just SOOO many complaints!
    What they mean by TC is torque converter(because a lot of MDX's have those issues), not traction control, although one would think so
  • jga5jga5 Member Posts: 11
    I have 115,000 miles on my 04 and have not had any transmission problems. The A/C went out once but that's about it. My hope is to keep it until 200,000 or so. Hey, its paid for! :):)
  • richard20031richard20031 Member Posts: 2
    I have eliminated the shudder by driving in 4th gear except for the freeway.
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Congradulations on the mileage. Don't overlook that your timing belt should have been replaced at this mileage. Also, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and probobly replace two broken motor mounts. Your lower ball joints will be going bad soon. I've got 160k miles on my '03 MDX and know all about it.

I hope ypou've been changing the transmission, transaxle and rear differential fluids every 60k miles too.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Please explain why you think any of these maintenance items are not normal.
    edited June 2012
    I just went out and checked the ATF in our '95 LS400 and it still has a slight pinkish color, more brown than pink, and is mostly transparent, do you think that means I should have it changed out.....?

It only has ~252,000 miles running on the factory fill......

The only real complaint I have is how hard it pulls against the brakes when stopped with the engine IDLING at ~700RPM, really bad before the engine falls off the high idle mode, ~1100 RPM.

I often slip it into neutral if the stop appears to be prolonged.

I did put in new sparkplugs/caps/rotors recently just because....
  • codog3codog3 Member Posts: 12
    I would not change the fluid. Changing the factory fluid after 252k miles is almost a guarantee of killing your transmission
  • suver8suver8 Member Posts: 1
    We had a similar problem: our 2001 MDX's transmission died a few years ago (in January 2008) at a little over 100,000 miles and we were told by the Acura dealer that the repairs would cost over $6,000, while the vehicle was worth little more than that, so we reluctantly traded it in for a new vehicle, rather than spend that kind of money on a car with that low a value. Now I'm hearing that there was a transmission recall on these vehicles that the dealer never told us about. Do we have any recourse against Acura under these circumstances? I would not have spent the money on a new vehicle if we could have had the MDX repaired by Acura.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If there was a recall I wonder why you weren't notified in the mail?
  • toothfairy55toothfairy55 Member Posts: 1
    Well - I just received the bad news that my transmission has to be replaced in my 2003 MDX.
    I was out of town driving & after stopping at a stoplight - my MDX would not go into gear. I turned off the vehicle & then turned it on. I was able to drive home the 35 miles & now it is at my mechanics. 127,000 miles a little disappointing but cheaper than purchasing a new car.
    In Feb had the timing belt, etc replaced.

It sure seems that transmissions are a big issue with the Acura MDX with following these postings!
    I read something about a recall on the 2003 transmission. You might want to check into that. What is the estimate for the repairs?

Thanks,
    04 MDX owner
    Just goes to prove you can't "drive" both the front and rear drivelines even part time, especially on a highly tractive surface, without something eventually going.....

BANG
  • arthankfularthankful Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    My 03 Mdx has 85k miles. I am 2nd owner, only driver, woman, never towed or misused. Purchased from Keyes Mercedes dealership in 2005 with 28k miles. Shortly thereafter it was making a squeaky noise like a loose belt. Santa Monica acura diagnosed bad transmission and replaced it. Now 57k miles later, the transmission slipped without warning on the freeway for the first time. Santa Monica Acura wants $150 to diagnose...$4500 -5.000 to replace. Acura care says out of warranty and the car is too old, I am first time Acura /Honda owner..no history/loyalty and because I serviced at non Acura dealer It is likely they will provide little to no assistance. Please help if you can recommend a place in Los Angeles area that does good transmission rebuilds and reasonable.
  • maikolomaikolo Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a used 2004 Acura MDX with about 85,000 miles. I have read lots of good things about the car and also lots of bad things (transmission, etc). What is your take on the 2004 and if 85,000 miles is good for the year? Thanks, Mike
    We own a very well maintained 2003 MDX and had it for a number of years. We bought it with 60k miles and now it has 160k miles. My wife took out the extended warranty when she bought it from a local Acura dealer. The transmission failed at 108K miles. We argued extensively with Acura and they paid 90% of the $4,500 cost.

At 110k miles you will need a timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and valve adjustment. Two motor mounts will also fail by then. At 150k miles, you may need new front ball joints and rear control arms. Except for the transmission problem, this is all normal wear and tear. Except for what we've read about Acura putting the screws to many people over this transmission problem, we loved the car. Gas mileage isn't very good considering what the new cars are getting. However, I won't buy a new Acura. I think there are better cars out there now.

You'll have to make your own decision. 85k miles is a little low for the average vehicle. It all depends on how well the '04 has been maintained. I wouldn't pay more then the "trade-in" value based on the "Blue Book". You should be able to buy an extended warranty because it's under 100k miles. Check with your local Acura regarding a reliable company to by the warantee from.
    I own a 2004 MDX with about 119,000 miles now. I have performed all of the required maintenance to date and have not yet had a transmission issue. If the vehical you are looking at has had its service and test drives well (smooth), i would say it may be a good deal.
    Every time you accelerate beyond a "gentle" level in the MDX, from a stop or a low speed, on a tractive surface, you are putting an unusual, mostly undue, level of stress on the driveline components.

So driving style, or even geographic region, might have an adverse impact on how soon one of those components fails. Note that the MDX was switched from the VTM-4 system to the SH-AWD system at some point which seems to have helped alleviate the failures.
  • qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2012
    I bought a 2005 CPO 3 years ago in Canada with 50K miles. The transmission failed 3 months after I bought it and was replaced under CPO warranty. Since then, little things have slowly started to fail with the age of the vehicle. For example, lights that illuminate switches will fail, the homelink buttons and the reading lights next to the rear view mirror, automatic door locks on the passenger side etc. Nothing big, but small things. I have meticulously maintained the vehicle with all services performed including tranny oil, VTM fluid, rear transfer case fluid, coolant etc. A few months ago, I had a major failure of the radiator which (according to many posts on the Internet) could potentially harm your transmission because of the way the radiator is designed and a radiator leak may cause tranny oil and coolant to mix and end up in the tranny (not good). I must have driven about 10 miles before the tranny went into fail-safe and shut down (that's what the dealer told me). He fixed up everything, did several flushes etc and told me everything is fine. The vehicle drives fine but I went to another Acura dealer for a complete inspection of the work and the other dealer also confirmed that there is no damage to the tranny and the work done by the first dealer was top-notch. I wanted to get that peace of mind as my timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt is being replaced this month at 100,000K miles and that is a big expense. I intend to keep the vehicle for as long as I can so I am going to eat the $1200 expense but you just need to be mindful that on an older car you may have unanticipated expenses. But it is a great vehicle and is built really well.
  • rismtrismt Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a low mileage (30k) 2005 MDX and am concerned over the reports of transmission/TC issues. Can anyone offer some recent information/experiences with their 2005? We have friends with a 2002/124k miles and have had no issues. Did Acura issue a service order/recall on them? Thanks for the help.
  • mountainmom80mountainmom80 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 05 Acura 6 months ago from a dealership with 87k on it. A few weeks ago we noticed it shifting hard, check engine light coming on, the drive light on the dash would flash when it was in gear, which in the manual indicates transmission issues. My husband checked all fluids again and all was as it should be. Today I can't shift it into drive at all and barely got it into park the day it made it back unto the driveway. It was difficult shutting the car off and taking the keys out due to the transmission not allowing it to even go into park. Now iv only put 10k on it since I left the dealership and this happens. Pretty upset about that, and on top of that I'm mad at myself for not looking at the reviews. Now the vehicle isn't worth a damn thong for trade in purpose and most dealerships are aware and won't give a great trade in value, leaving you extremely upside down in your loan. Try getting out of an MDX! Terribly difficult! I will be bugging Acura until this car is in a scrap yard 20 years from now. They will know my name! I promis to haunt those a$$holes for the long haul until they make this right or help fix this car because I will run this thing until it can't be run anymore! Sadly because of Acura and their pathetic manufacturing that won't be as long as I'd have hoped for!
    That is not entirely true. The parts in the MDX transmission that have been failing and causing the problem are consistently the same part, the same assembly - the torque converter. Yes, all moving components cause friction but, with correct lubrication, the heat buildup is mitigated, minimized and reduced to the point that the components are capable of operating to their designed parameters, without time limits.

Friction is not the problem but the fast heat build-up due to a HIGH friction coefficient and abrasive properties will cause the performance of the torque converter to become poor and shorten the durability of those components with continued operation once the HIGH friction condition is experienced.

The problem is one of design. The torque converter is not receiving adequate lubrication with long term use or, is subject to be easily fouled, resulting in insufficient lubrication causing HIGH heat buildup and component failure.

More frequent maintenance can prevent this.
    Methinks you be quite far off-base.

It is my understanding that it is the lock-up clutch portion, integral portion, of the torque converter that is/has failed, not the torque converter itself.

In order to provide the best FE most modern day automatic transmissions made use of the lock-up aspect of the torque converter as close to 100% of the time that is possible, bypassing the function, functionality, of the LOSSY torque converter as often as is feasible.

Then you throw in the extra stresses of having the rear drive system engaged a goodly portion of the time and you have a recipe for failure.
  • accordlx97manaccordlx97man Member Posts: 1
    Hi 'washingtongc', I have a 2009 with the same problem at 40K miles. I took it to the nearest dealership and either they were unable to demonstrate it or pretended so. It will be helpful to know which dealership you went to.
  • inacuratinacurat Member Posts: 1
    After just having the transmission rebuilt on this gently-used and well-maintained vehicle, I learned how common this problem is. Very disappointing. After having bought four Acuras from a local dealer, they did not have the courtesy to reply to my complaint. They did not do the repair work, since their shop prices are way too high. This will be my last Acura. Some enterprising lawyer ought to explore the possibility of a class action suit on this.
    I agree with you. My only recoarse is never to buy another Acura/Hoda product. Our next car will be a Ford.
    "..will be a Ford..."

Jumping from the frying pan directly into the FIRE!!
  • sidneyhsidneyh Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading many of the other reports from others about their torque converter. I have a 2001 which we dearly love but it has been shuttering for the last 10k miles and I was not smart enough to realize what it was. I now have only 107K miles and I am wondering what to do. The dealership said it would be about $2,800 to replace the converter if that is all that needs to be done. However, when I was riding with the mechanic to show him the issue, I asked how many TCs he had replaced and I think he had done one. I also noted in some of the previous notes that some owners had gotten theirs replaced under warranty. Any chance here for me? Should I take it to a transmission specialist or a different dealership where they have more experience replacing the TC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with your TC. Without a doubt, I would take it to a transmission specialist who has seen many many similar conditions. Most dealerships will remove the transmission and send it to a specialist anyway. Of course, I would make certain that my extended warranty did not cover it. Good luck.
    First, demand that the dealer call the Corp. office in California to see if Acura will pay for it. If they refuse, call yourself or find another dealer. It took me two heated arguments with our dealer until Acura agreed to pay 90% of the cost.

If that won't work, find an independant transmission specialist who has experience with these Acura transmissions. You will need a new torque converter and a transmission overhaul. An independant specialist will be $1,500 to $2000 cheaper then Acura. A factory rebuilt transmision from Acura will cost $4500 to $5000 installed. An experienced independant transmission shop will replace the parts with better quality and should know how to do modifications and upgrades to make your transmission last longer. Check their record with Better Business before commiting.

Good Luck
    In my experience it would be rather unusual for the TC itself to fail, given that this is a VTM-4 F/awd system it is much more likely the TC lock-up clutch that is failing. If you have the ability to "lock-out" the OD system I would drive it that way for a long enough period to satisfy myself of the true failure cause.
  • sidneyhsidneyh Member Posts: 2
    Do I accomplish that by driving it in D4? Would that leave it in 4th gear and not shift into overdrive? If I do this and it does not give me the shimmy symptoms, do I conclude that it is the TC? Thanks for your help.
  • codog3codog3 Member Posts: 12
    My 04 started the shutter about 20k miles ago. I simply drive around town in D4 and manually shift to D5 if I go on the highway. Hurts fuel economy somewhat, but beats replaciing the transmission.
    FWIW I recently had the fluid changed at a Honda dealer and the shutter was noticeably less.
    If locking out OD results in proper functionality otherwise then the problem is most likely the lock-up clutch.
  • ckpcckpc Member Posts: 4
    82,402 miles on our 03 MDX and transmission is shot. Car is my wife's and only driven in town and to take kids to school. We have owned it since new and followed dealer recommended service using the same dealer for all service. Dealer said $4500 but agreed to call Acura Corp and called back with a $2400 price. The Cat Converter also went out another $900!!!

I am done with Acura I have spent all kinds of money on a vehicle I mistakenly thought was a quality product.
    Same problem with us too. Our next car will be a Ford.

Have the trans fixed at that price and you should be able to run it into the ground for another 100k miles. Put $100 or $200 in the bank every month it doesn't break and you'll be able to buy a nice car.

ps...Don't belive them about the cat. converter, they tried that trick on us too.
  • seaclusionseaclusion Member Posts: 22
    Had an 04 new MDX. Met an untimely end(accident) after a Tranny problem with that at about 40k.
    Recently purchased a 2009 MDX w 34000 mi. It has a transmission whine. It also is hard to steer at a dead stop.
    Recently received a recall for both a torque converter problem and he steering problem on this model. Warranted for 108000miles.

They haven't solved the tranny problem based upon what I read from here
  • wipkkwipkk Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Had 98500 m on my 2004 MDX. I noticed a low vibration around 30 m speed. Took to the car to dealer and they took the issue as TBD. Later called me and told me that I have to replace torque converter and gave me a 3200 estimate. I asked him to check the service bulletin number : 06003 or NHTSA No 10022468.... "TORQUE CONVERTER SHUDDER OR VIBRATION BETWEEN 35 AND 40 MPH"
    Not sure what this service bulletin means to me.... any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Thoughts- that began with a very vague shudder in my 03 MDX and I mentioned it to my dealer which they could never find until the tranny/converter went. Always go beyond the dealer if your not happy.
    Talked to Acura Corp. directly and they reduced the tranny cost to $1900 from the first reduction of $2400. I loved the car but honestly if I never looked online to see what others have complained about I would have been paying $4500 plus to fix this. Acura talks about the importance of taking care of customers but to have to go thru this to get recourse. Bottom line is Acura/Honda knows there are serious issues with the tranny/torq converter and in my case we could have had a serious accident. I am happy they reduced my amount but in the end I wonder if its just to cover their best interest. Bottom line if this happens to you go beyond your dealer.
  • jeffhornacekjeffhornacek Member Posts: 1
    I too recently purchased a 2009 MDX and am having issues with the RPM fluttering and hard steering. I brought it to the dealership and they said that they don't know how to fix it!!! This is an Acura Dealership.... Acura of Escondido!

I also received both letters from Acura regarding the torque converter and steering problem, but this dealership declines to work on it. They said, "I see it, but don't know how to fix it!"

Have you had any luck getting your MDX fixed?