Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chevrolet Impala

13»

Comments

• chvyownrchvyownr Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Chevy Impala and when the car is in park, I hear a lot of sloshing water and the heat turns to cold. Feels like the A/C is on. I have been hearing the sloshing noise for a while but I have only noticed recently that the heat is cold when the car is in idle or parked. A few months back, I had a warning light flash on the dash saying Engine hot...A/C automatically shut off and my temp gauge went cold (wasn't reading). The message went away the next morning on the way to work and the gauge was working just fine. After that I started smelling antifreeze as if there was a leak or the car was running hot. No leak and the car hasn't run hot.

Frustrated Chevy Impala Owner
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    chevyownr,

Are you planning on getting this checked into by one of our dealerships? We're available to assist in that process if you like. Please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your involved dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • rmwebster3rmwebster3 Member Posts: 2
    first off my key would not turn off all the way, found the problem on the right side of the gear shifter and fixed the wire all good again, a week ago today the car would not come out of park nor would my key turn off all the way. so i have re wired the plug and bought a new shifter for the car, none of that has worked, i was told today it maybe the brake pedal position sensor. Can someone help me out on this matter? really getting frustrated as chevrolet dealerships keep telling me they are 99.9% sure this part will fix it! well each time i am in that. 1% of the part that doesnt work.
  • chvyownrchvyownr Member Posts: 2
  • rmwebster3rmwebster3 Member Posts: 2
    If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, rmwebster3, please email us at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation). We're sorry that it has been so hard to nail down a root cause of the brake pedal issues you've been having.

• sandrakaysandrakay Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I drove my 2008 impala to the local gas station last Thursday, got gas, returned to my car..only to find I could NOT shift out of park. No forewarning, no issues whatsoever prior to this. I had my car towed to the tune of $65.00 for a two block tow, left it at the dealership I purchased my car from. I then went home and got online and did my research. Friday morning, dealership calls me to tell me what I had already guessed, wiring below my shift area needed to be "Repaired". NO NEW PARTS, service just reattached the wires. Now, $305.00 MORE dollars later, my car is back in my garage. I, however am not happy! Seems this, AS WELL AS the constant replacement of worn tires issue is common for my beautiful car! I am appalled that the shift wire issue is not a recall, and even further appalled that I have purchased two full sets of tires and two single tire's for my 2008 Impala since purchasing the car 1 1/2 years ago! I need to know who to contact about seeking reimbursement of the $400.00 I shelled out this week! :mad:
  • fscarzfscarz Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone. Posting this to make others aware of a mistake that I made with this car. I am overall still way down on Chevy for their treatment of me, and I have discovered yet another annoying feature of this car.

A couple of months ago I clipped a curb at an odd angle, and while I did not flatten the tire, there was some damage to the wheel, so my mechanic suggested that I change the wheel.

Without realizing the ramifications, I went to the local junkyard and purchased another Chevy wheel for my car and had a spare tire put on the wheel and had it mounted on the car. The junkyard offered me $20 for the old wheel, and I thought, why not, and let them have it.

After changing the wheel, the dashboard computer told me that I needed to service my tire monitoring system. I figured this was because of the new wheel, so I just hit the checkmark button and went on my merry way. The message because persistent after a while, and so I decided to check into how to make it go away.

Apparently, there is NO WAY TO SHUT THIS OFF! If anyone knows how to do this, please post a solution. The solution that I got from Chevy was that I need to spend the $200+ for the new wheel with the air pressure monitor. Sorry Chevy, but that is NOT going to happen. I was able to get a perfectly good used replacement wheel for $20. Why should I pay $200 MORE plus the labor charges, etc. etc. etc. just to have one tire with an air pressure sensor that I really don't care about!

Also, for those of you measuring your gas mileage, be careful, and don't believe the dash computer. I use my gas station receipts, odometer and a little program called Excel to calculate my mileage and it is always LESS than what the dashboard computer reports.

Just another way that Chevy makes you think you are getting a good product when all they are trying to do is suck the money out of your wallet.

Good luck everyone, and don't clip those curbs! Expensive mistake!

Frank
    ;)
    sandrakay,
    We can look into reimbursement, although we cannot guarantee what the results of our inquiry would be up front. Please email us at [email protected] with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• chevyowner3chevyowner3 Member Posts: 1
    I am also an owner of an impala 2008. I am having the same problem you have. The first time my gear shift got stuck the dealer said the shift was not assembled properly at the manufactoring company. This happened at 35,000 miles. It happened again at about 73,000 miles. I do not want to take the car back to the dealership because I do not believe they are telling me the truth. I also have a problem with the tires. I have already gone through three sets of tires, brakes, and rotors. I had mentioned this when I took it to the dealer and they replaced the rotors and brakes for 1300 dollars and they also recommended that I purchase new tires. When I took it to an unaffiliated mechanic, he told me that the rotors were undersized for the size of the car and this was the cause of the premature wearing of the rotors, brakes, and tires and that this was very unsafe to drive on the freeway. We also noticed that on the freeway, the car would start bouncing when the brakes were applied. In the mid 1990s, Ford had the same problem with the Tarus, I believe, and the problem was the undersized rotors. The car also has a major oil leak. I have also called the customer service at GM and they never returned my call. The salesman that had sold me the car later told me that we had the same problems with Impala.
    chevyowner3,
    We're sorry to hear about these troubles you've been having with your Impala, as well as the communication difficulty you've experienced with our Customer Assistance Center. When you called, did they set up a Service Request (71-**********) for you? Please forward us that number or the last 8 digits of your VIN via email at [email protected] with a brief summary of the situation and we will check into what happened with this.

• sandrakaysandrakay Member Posts: 2
    Exactly what I am finding also. Many people with same complaint, both gear and tires. I contacted someone at GM and my reply just today, states that they cannot/will not help me because of the year and mileage. Bull! I will pursue this further.
  • camisha61camisha61 Member Posts: 2
    I have a chevy 2008 impala and for some reason when i run around 50 mph especially going uphill it seems the motor skips or sputters...then when i hit 60 its fine again any idea what this could be? its annoying.
    camisha61,

What are your plans for getting this checked into? If you are planning on working with a dealership on this and would like for us to stay with you through that process, please email us at [email protected] with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• camisha61camisha61 Member Posts: 2
    well I took it into the dealership i bought it at and they changed sparkplugs....after riding it a few times did the same thing. brought it back in they said was sand in the valves...enviromental replaced that ...ran it awhile again am fed up still doing the same thing . costing me more money to fix this then am also frustrated and irritated on this.
  • ablades32ablades32 Member Posts: 1
    This will be my second impala, I have had an 05 and my 08 I currently have. Now I never had any problems out of my 05, now my 08 is something different. First off I'm not taking my car to the dealership for repairs and get charged outrageous prices and then something else goes wrong and have to take back to get charged even more. Second, about six months ago I had to replace my intake manifold gasket and air compressor. Intake manifold gasket was never suppose to go bad, is what I was told by a Gm mechanic. When calling GM to get reimburse for this they just gave me free maintenance package. 6 months later the air compressor had went bad again. My mechanic went to get the replacement part for my 3500 engine and it wasn't the same one he had taken off the day nor the one 6months ago. Needless to say I will have to come out of pocket $450 for another compressor! My certified mechanic believes that my compressor is the same exact air compressor of the SS model, which its engine is 3900. How can that be? Next for the past few months my check engine light has been on. My mechanic one again did a diagnostic check, the message read something about the emission system, so he cleared it tighten my gas cap (something that I always do), it stayed off for about a day or so. I have been taking my car to him at least twice a month to make sure nothing is wrong. I even had Onstar do a check and it says the same thing and I tighten the gas cap and the light is still on. I am frustrated as hell and don't have dealership money to throw around at all. Please GM don't tell me to take it to a dealership and not cover the expenses. Are there any present recalls for the 08' impala Ls model? Any suggestions?
  • papavpapav Member Posts: 1
    I also am having terrible problems with the wear on the tires of my 2007 chevy impala. I thought that it must have been in an accident that bent the frame or something (I bought it when it was a year old, from a dealership), but now reading the posts I think it is just a chevy problem. that is very disappointing. I also have a problem with the wiper motor going out. twice already (and it was only 2 years old the first time. also the throttle positioning sensor had to be replaced ($300) because it shut down on the freeway, then it started but had to go to a dealership and have it replaced before going home. I have been VERY unhappy with this vehicle. it rides & drives very well and is very room but is not very dependable. I wish they would do a recall for the tires it is just annoying that we have to replace the tires so often!
  • laruwerylaruwery Member Posts: 2
    Bought this car almost 2.5 years ago and began experiencing some surging in the transmission recently. Took it to the local GM Dealer and had them run test since I was nearing the end of my warranty and wanted it taken care of since i knew there was a transmission issue. As expected no codes popped up so they had a kid drive the thing around couldn't replicate. So instead of addressing the issue they tried to sell me more transmission services (flush, etc.) insisting this was the issue. Turns out according to Service Bulletin 10023432 this problem is well documented. Now three months later I am out of warranty and looking at a $4,000 dollar fix. How convenient for GM and the dealership, right. You would think GM certified techs would look at bulletins but why do it for free when you can tell the customer he is crazy and charged him 4,000 in a few months.