Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• mrstefanmrstefan Posts: 2
    Doug,

They will only reimburse pass $2500 according to the settlement. I'm almost positive the lawyers got paid off because they agreed to this so-called "settlement". I'm going to every news station I can about the story and I'm not stopping until I get some satisfaction, which is a new transmission & radiator without a dime out of my pocket. They are still selling these vehicles too!
  • mrstefanmrstefan Posts: 2
    The case is closed and they are charging the customers $2500 if it is under 90K miles, and $3000 if it is under 100K miles. Anything other than that, you get nothing.
  • psb3psb3 Posts: 1
    This infuriates me! Nissan has had this radiator problem since 2005 and they never told me. I bought a 2008 Xterra and was never told about it anytime at the dealership for the last 5 years and just found out about it coincidentally after my car crossed 80,000 miles! They want me to pay $2500 to prevent it. Would they have replaced the radiator for free before that--if I had just asked? I hope you all join me in banning Nissan for life and for the life of my kids.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    the problem has been on going and Nissan doesn't want anyone to know it because they want you to out ride the warranty miles and pay for it , right now there is a partition somewhere out there maybe Google it , and a team of lawyers are suppose to be getting some answers from Nissan's lawyers. :surprise:
    edited May 2013
    1-there is also another problem with Nissan V6 engines made from 2002-2005 , Its the tiny brass screws that hold the butterfly throttle disk's in the swirl valve assembly on top of the engine '
    what happens is these screws were forgotten to be locktited with a thread locking compound and eventually they loosen and get sucked into the pistons of the engine and destroy the engine for peace of mind- you can take it to a dealer have it done for about $200.oo to prevent it , or just chance it that yours were done or let it cost you a new engine $4,000 if it does happen to these swirl valve screws loosening . 2- one other problem with these VQ35 V6 engines , the timing chain ,after 2002 they are all timing chain not timing belts any more , the chain tentioners wear out and cause the chain to cut into metal then snap , a big expense to fix. 3- the transmission fluid goes into the radiator and ruins the transmission , this is because Nissan changed radiator venders for this to happen ,how ever the newer Nissans dont have this problem any more ,perhaps the 4 cylinders could be perfect I don't own one and I do not know how ever the V6Q35 ??? :surprise:
  • unrelentingunrelenting Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    I am not sure the case is actually complete. The last status I received was that the Judge had not signed. (That was a week and a half ago.) There was a formal objection by a third party not related to the actual case, but requires the Judge to weigh the objection. The real problem is that there is already litigation settled (prior precedent) that a drive train that lasts 100K miles is not defective. So, objections due to the 100K limit can be reviewed, but the legal precedent would prevail. In other words, short of a recall, there is not much that can be hoped for greater than 100K miles. Ever noticed or wondered why it is tough to get a manufactures warranty above 100K, that is why. The OEMs know the prior litigation caps the mileage.

Nissan did note the word 'defective' in one of their formal court pleas...if you read the agreement that is being played out, you will see the word.

As for your Xterra, the best thing to do is to bypass the lines from the radiator to the transmission, cap them and add a radiator cooler. Not a big deal at all. We added one, it sits right in front of the radiator. Total cost approx $400.00 or less. Once bypassed, it is impossible to have the transmission fail as a result of intermixing the fluids.

We had a problem with our 2006 Pathfinder. When we added the cooler (sized for the transmission), it failed when pulling a trailer. What we discovered is that we needed a bigger cooler. We had a bigger one (2X) installed. Even now I think the problem is not the seal that Nissan notes as 'defective', but rather the design of the tranmission itself. I strongly feel the OEM design builds up far too much pressure and heat...thus failing at the weakest point in the design, the seal.

And yes...the same cooling transmission design is on the Xterra and Frontier, but all of those combined (Xterra and Frontiers) pale to the amount of failed Pathfinders. The Pathfinder failures are nearly 10X the combined Xterras and Frontiers (as reported) that have failed. That in itself is crazy. That is also why I think the those vehicles were included, simply not to draw attention to the poor overall design of the Pathfinder transmission.

Based upon data I have seen, the Pathfinders are failing at an average mileage of 93K. But, an average is an average...ie: many below 93K and many over 93K to create an average.

What is really needed, (unfortunately) is a safety problem. And a safety problem has to be based pretty much upon someone having an injury. I have seen scores of responses on this forum regarding what could have happened', but to date....I have not seen a verified injury related to the cross contamination. Without an instance of that, hard to get a recall, and I hope there is not an injury, but you can really lay money that Nissan North America hopes there is not an injury. That would cost them far more than this lawsuit to recall all of the vehicles and make the fix at no cost.

For us, we won't have an injury in a Pathfinder....we traded ours in. The dealer advised the vehicle would be in Europe or the Middle-East within a could of weeks. Makes one wonder.....Hmmm.

I await the final approval by the judge. I surely understand the complaints by the vehicle owners... I complained quite heavily to Nissan North America, but to no avail....as many have. So, we sued Nissan.

I am one of the named lead plaintiffs and have been at this for longer than 2 years. I applaud the Judge, and accepted the agreement....simply from a legal point of view (and it is all about the legalities), that is best one can hope short of a recall. And believe me, the auto manufactures and their legal teams are all about avoiding a recalls. And yes, I agree that Nissan was and is wrong about not admitting and informing specifically the problem. And, they are not about customer satisfaction and making things right.....after having 5 Nissan products in our garage over the last 15 years....we now have a Toyota....at least they tend to recall when they have an issue, unlike Nissan. All we can do is hope for the best and remember, we are just a sales number, not really a customer.
  • jk05mdxjk05mdx Posts: 16
    You do not need to pay anyone to prevent it as long as you are sure it has not happened. Just bypass the transmission line going through the radiator and mount an external cooler, if one is not there already. On my 2006 Pathfinder, I simply bypassed the hose going to the radiator line and now make use of the second cooler, which is externally mounted in front of the radiator. It has been over 3 years and not once have I had a problem with the vehicle. I have assisted 2 others to do the bypass. Not a pin was bought. Costs me nothing, just my sweat. So to ask for a whooping $2.5k to prevent it is ridiculous in my opinion.

Peace!
    [psb3] by jk05mdx
    I agree with this person get the external cooler :)
  • Omg!!!! 2 days ago the Exact same thing hAppened - complete failure of engine on my brand new 2013 pathfinder with 3700 miles. Transmission failure and no power. On major road and family in car - dogs in car -on way to vacation. The engine completely stops accelerating , smoke started coming from the engine Transmission fluid all over road. Needed to get towed to dealership. MAJOR SAFETY HAZARD AND VEHICLE IS SEVERLY COMPROMISED BECUASE NOW TRANSMISSION HAS LOST FLUID AND VEHICLE NOT SAFE!!!!! I AM NOT GOING TO ACCEPT THIS VEHICLE BACK!
  • delpierodelpiero Posts: 2
    pathfinder Model year? Did you replace you IPDM?
    Recall ID # 10V517000 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2005/nissan/pathfinder/recalls.html#ixzz2Ucqogcl- v
  • delpierodelpiero Posts: 2
    I need more data to try to figure it out what the issue was.
    Were you towing? Weight? etc etc. What dealer said?
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/tomnius/pathfinder2002/Pathfinder_005.jpg

Swirl valve butterfly missing tiny brass screws felt out and cause this on a VQ35 V6 engine Nissan
  • ronsavageronsavage Posts: 3
    I haven't had a problem yet,can I replace the radiator and be good ?
    What size cooler works the best ?
    you need a 18 -24" length buy 4 to 5 " or a 18"x 10"
    actually most of them will handle the carting load of a medium size boat being pulled.
    Thank's,I'm pulling an 6x12 enclosed trailer to Colorado in a few weeks (from Atlanta)with 3 motorcycles inside. I'm looking at a 20x7.5 cooler,it looks like it should fit. Doing the butterfly valves at the same time.
    good choice , it never hurts to go bigger and be safe especially with 3 motorcycles ans the weight of the trailer about 3,000 lbs

and those butterfly valves its good to have them done after yor updating that truck should give you 200,000 miles of good use
  • 2005 pathfinder no start- ive exhausted all my options. Replsced ECM, BCM, after several trips to the dealership still having same issue. Can someone please tell me what I can do to get involved in the lawsuit. Why hasnt nissan recalled?! Paying 500 a month for a car that consistently wont start. Please help!!!
  • I haven't explored this forum much but I have to ask...Would you buy a 13 Pathfinder?

These experiences sound awful!
  • mr2005mr2005 Posts: 5
    I would never buy another Nissan again 1) the transmission radiator problem and 2) they way that Nissan handled this issue.

Anything but Nissan!
  • sandkon1sandkon1 Posts: 11
    I would not buy another Nissan. They don't care about customer loyalty, safety or their products. I have owned 8 other nissan a in the past. This is my last one. If I could afford to buy a new car right now, my pathfinder would be gone!
  • happygmahappygma Posts: 2
    We a new 2013 Pathfinder on June 6th, 3 days later it began shuttering. We took the car back to the dealership and were told that the Torque Converter had been recalled. After waiting 2 wks to get the part in and fixed, we picked it up. Within 18 hrs the same problem was happening. We took it back and they determined it was the transmission. We were told they would reppace it with a new one. Upon picking it up for the 2nd time, we noticed that the invoice said it was a "reman" part. Needless to say, we are extremely frustrated. The dealership has bent over backwards to help us, but we are not having much luck with the Executive offices addressing this very seriously. Did you ever reach any satisfaction?
  • sandkon1sandkon1 Posts: 11
    If you want to get the dealerships attention on the matter. Hive them a bad survey . Corporate offices are a joke. Once they assign you a claim number they are done communicating with you. If you call corporate you get voice mail and if you are fortunate enough to speak with a live person. They are clueless . My transmission was replaced with a remanufactured transmission. I still have a bad vibration . Have had one all along. They will not do anything else for me. I filed a lemon law case and was turned down. Your 2013 Pathfinder is already acting up... Keep taking it back to the dealer . You can also speak with a lawyer who specializes in lemon law since your car is new. Don't give up. Every time nissan sends you a survey. Tell them you are not satisfied. The dealers are graded by corporate with the surveys. Good luck! Keep us posted!
  • happygmahappygma Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. The Dealership has bent over backwards for us. We did get through to the Executive offices and they paid our first payment and gave us an extended warranty. That was before the second breakdown. Now we do have someone working with us, she put in a request for a new car. I just can't give up on people.
  • My 2006 Nissan Pathfinder experienced sudden, catastrophic transmission failure. Complete loss of motive power and needed to be towed 75 miles for repairs. Mechanic diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer.as well as the entire radiator core ad systems No warning signs leading up to or just prior to the failures. After numerous phone calls to various Nissan divisions, including the claims administrator, I was told by Nissan that they would not cover any repairs. Really deplorable customer service and several frustrating hours of calls. 3 weeks without my car and I am out $6,300 in repairs. My mechanic said he had never seen anything like it before and spent nearly 30 hours flushing sludge out of the cooling system. I considered trading it in and getting another brand. The trade in price was a joke. No dealer will touch a Pathfinder.">link title

Outrageous that Nissan takes no responsibility for a factory defect that creates a safety hazard and costs loyal owners thousands of dollars. This is my third and last Pathfinder. <a href="https://twitter.com/pathfindr_expat
  • OH hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • valkamavalkama Posts: 5
    I was a pathfinder fan and planned on keeping my pathfinder as just an offroad vehicle. That was until the transmission when out due to the radiator problem and after $4700 in repairs it would suddenly jerk violently and I would have to pull over and stop every other day or so. No one could fix it. So I had to get rid of it. The New 2013 pathfinder is not the same vehicle. Its more like minivan than a sports utility vehicle. So no, due to their dealing with the transmission defect and because its not the same type of vehicle anymore, i would not buy a pathfinder.
  • dkd1959dkd1959 Posts: 1
    I have 2012 Pathy and a 2002 petrol. My 02 is absolutely brilliant although somewhat expensive to run. The 2012 has given me nothing but grief. Right from the get go there was the pulling to the left still doing it and dealer has rebalanced abs wheel aligned 3 times, replaced tyres at 38k with some improvement. After four months I drove on a dirt road thought I would try four wheel drive, couldn't believe the noise from under the car, a very loud drone. Immediately pulled over and put back to two wheel, noise stopped. Nissan replaced front diff. After this about month later notice car was bleeding, lost transmission fluid from cooling system due to cracked hose. After diff replaced noticed creek ing noise, sounded like front strut or stabiliser bar, after four months and replacement of front right strut and stabiliser bar mounts Nissan tech serviceman discovered front end tie rods to chassis had either come lose or probably never been tightened from factory. In June I hooked up the camper trailer got less than two kilometres out of town and lost all power. Four weeks later car returned from dealer with new gear box, trans cooler and radiator system, all of which had also been flushed. Now I have something grinding on left full lock in reverse, dealer very cooperative and are definitely showing frustration. I am thinking my pathy has been built in between siestas. Currently planning trip to central Australia, part of the plan is towing a car trailer with a spare car on it. Absolutely no confidence in this banana car. Very very very disappointed Nissan.
  • sbondssbonds Posts: 1
    So reading through some of the posts, looks like I'm not the only one with a Pathfinder (2006) that refuses to start. Unfortunately for me, my car has 114,000 miles on it so it's not covered under the warranty. (Lucky for me I was in my driveway and not stranded somewhere when it happened.) There's some sort of valve shorting out in the transmission and to replace the transmission valve body, it'll cost me $3500. But that may not solve the problem. They can replace the radiator too for a total cost of $5,600 (includes transmission work). From reading comments here, it sounds like that's probably what needs to be done to ensure the car functions properly.

My thought is the car isn't worth a whole lot more... Uggh, very frustrating. Yeah I think when we're shopping for new cars in the future, we'll pass on by the Nissan dealership!