Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt engine fires

texas911texas911 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have (or had rather) a 2006 Cobalt LT sedan. On Monday the 17th the vehicle was started and left to idle to help remove a thick cover of ice and snow (was in MO) 10 minutes later the car is in flames. It took the FD over 20 min to put it out. The damage is extensive to the engine compartment, which is pretty much just the frame and a chard, melted mess. I never received any recall notices and it was kept up with it's maintenance regularly.

Has anyone heard or had problems with engine fires?

Comments

• Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Sorry to say this has never been reported here or on any other auto forums I frequent. Engine fires are common with 4-cylinder model Nissans however.
  • Options
    jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    This is the first GM Delta chassis fire I've heard of.

Joel
  • Options
    christopherachristophera Member Posts: 2
    I was recently out of town for four days. On my way back I got a call from a neighbor that my 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT was on fire in the driveway. The fire was nearly a full 4 days from the last time the car had been started or driven.

When I returned home I found the car with extensive damage. The fire seems to have originated and been limited to the area of the audio components in my trunk. These were NOT after market, they came with the car from the original dealer. It was the Pioneer audio option (if I recall it was the top of the line choice in terms of that model's factory installed audio options). The subwoofer in the trunk is completely burned out and the fire damage shows that the entirety of the fire was limited to right where that is (or was).

Is anybody aware of fires in the 2005 Cobalt LT or with Pioneer Subwoofers? There have been no modifications to the equipment, and prior to going away, I had noticed no problems with my audio equipment.
  • Options
    christopherachristophera Member Posts: 2
This discussion has been closed.