Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Engine Problems

santafe71santafe71 Member Posts: 4
Hi!

Hoping someone may help me with this.

My SUV has had hesitation at about 45mph. Today, @45mph my car starting lurching & check engine light came on. As I slowed down, the lurching stopped and the light went out. I parked my car & will have it towed to the shop in the morning. Any idea, is this something major? It has 104000 miles on it.

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    possible need of tune up

maybe o2 sensor problem

what state are you in? maybe i can help for less $$$ !
  • santafe71santafe71 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply.

In FL.
    did it ever shut off on you?
    No. I was in traffic, going from 60 down to 45. Once it went below 45, I would step on the gas and it felt like it wasn't going to go any faster and it was starting to "shake" I stayed below 40 for about a mile(lots of road construction) before I was able to pull off.

I'm just hoping it's nothing too major.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    It is speculated that the Santa Fe base engine will be the 2.4 liter Theta II which has estimated horsepower of 175-180 plus hp

should the 2.7 liter V6 be replaced by this engine Yes or no?

The 2.4 in my opinion has great advantages like timing chain, plus better fuel economy, easier to maintain.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I think Hyundai should.

Here is what I would like to see:

Fact: the next coupe will have 2.0L turbo four (rumored around 223hp) and 3.8L V6 (300hp+) (2.7L V6 removed)

Speculation: the Tuscon redesign should come with 4 cylinder only (2.7L V6 removed)

Speculation: I know Santa Fe's 2.7L V6 is there mainly to keep the price low but I think Hyundai should offer only the 3.3L V6 on the SF.
    they could go to an 8cyl too! and have a 4x4 optional driveline with the 8...

300hp is nice on the 6 tho'!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Not a chance, at least in the crossover lineup. If anything, it would be Veracruz, but the diesel variant is coming over to the North American market in a few years.

I can see the coupe with V8 but why when the V6 produces upwards in the 300hp range. Hyundai could, however, with 400hp output in the coupe :-)
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    The Santa Fe needs a diesel. I understand that the Elantra and Sonata will get a diesel option for '09 or '10. Why not the Santa Fe?
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    the rav4 has a 4 cylinder why can't the santa fe, which are competitors.
    The shop changed the plugs and filter. So far works great!
    yeah - 4cyl engines really react badly even if only 1 plug goes bad...
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The Elantra and Sonata are getting diesels in '09/'10? It's expensive to have a diesel engine that passes emissions (around $5000), and both the Elantra and Sonata already get good mileage. EPA rates Sonata as the best mileage Large car and the Elantra gets 25/33 mileage, the best in its class for a non-hybrid. Adding a diesel to a larger SUV makes sense, but for these? Not so much! :D
  • j craigj craig Member Posts: 4
    In the AM when I start the engine immediately revs to 2000 rpm and stays there for at least 15-20 secs. ( I can just feell the metal on metal inside the motor). It slowly falls back to a fast idle as the motor begins to warm up. My dealer just says "they all do that" and there's no way to adjust so just forget about it. Since a lot of wear can happen during this start up period does anyone have any comments on their experience on start up. (Lucas additive?) Thanks
  • j craigj craig Member Posts: 4
    it is typical for a car to rev high and then settle to its normal rpm with no action from the driver. whether or not that is too high - i'm not sure... but it seems normal. if it does not settle back to it's normal rpm then there is a problem or if it stays high for an extended period of time. if you actually feel grinding then there is a problem. if you are just concerned for the wear of your engine - i would suggest using synthetic oil all the time - possibly royal purple. Lucas is good but it may not be necessary. Hyundai says not to use additives. oil companies say their oils have all the additives they need already in the oil. if friction concerns you you can try all the different advertised stuff to see what works for you. if you have that ticking noise in your engine CD2 helps but it will not repair any major problem.
  • bbawtbbawt Member Posts: 3
    My service dept just told me the clacking sound when accelerating when the engine is cold is likely "piston slap" - very rare but occurs. They said they may need to rebuild the engine or replace the engine. The SF is just under 2 years old and 24k kms. I really don't want a "new" rebuilt vehicle, even the new engine makes me nervous. Any advice or thoughts on how I should be handling this?
  • bbawtbbawt Member Posts: 3
  • jnojrjnojr Member Posts: 5
    Did this get handled to your satisfaction? I just bought a Limited with the 3.3L
  • allan1966allan1966 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Santa Fe made a noice and then just stopped. I got a 04 Santa Fe with 3.5 L the water pump locked up going down the road. It never overheated. the Auto repair shop also replaced the timing belt. The mechanics told me that the engine would have to be replaced after they started it up. I think that they might have gotten the timing belt off a tooth. Like I said earlier the vehicle never overheated it stayed just around 210 degrees never did smoke. The timing belt wasn't that bad just frayed on the edeges. The engine has only 51k miles & frequent lof's. I am not sure if I trust this mechanics dianosis . He first said the engine seized and then when a mechanic friend talked to him the auto repair mechanic said it started but it made a noise and he shut it off quick. The said this was a common problem with 2004 engines. i been trying to look it up on internet and i do not see that this is a comon problem (I am I wrong). I think something fishy. The story keeps changing and I said i was taking it to another mechanic. They only charge me for the cost of the parts but did not finish the job (did not hook up the altenator or wires) and I afraid to take it out of the shop and blame it on the next shop (who happens to be owned by a friend of a friend). What do you think or know about known problems with 2004 Santa Fe engines or could youmake any suggestion how to handle this problem?
  • santafe10santafe10 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    On April 24.2010 I purchased my Santa Fe 2010 Limited AWD V6 3.6L, with 6 speed automatic transmission.
    On August 20.2010 with 4222 miles on the odometer The Hyundai Technician diagnosed "main bearing failure" need to replace "short block".
    As of today September 6.2010 I'm still without my Santa Fe.
    I've contacted the Hyundai Corp. for a replacement engine to no avail.
    Has anyone experienced engine problems on the new 2010 3.6L engine?
    Thank you,
  • chaliecchaliec Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Engine on my 2002 Sante fe just shut down while driving! Mechanic can't find whats wrong with it. Plugs r getting spark & fuel but car will not turn over, starter just turns & turns. Did computer diagnostics with the ecu, but nothing showing up either. All fuses & relays appear to be good.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!
    Chalie C
    how many miles? timing belt done?
    edited November 2010
    Thanks 4 you reply!

It has 191000 and no the timing belt hasn't been changed. Compression test was done on the 3 right side cylinders and their all pushing 120. No noise when starter is engaged trying to turn over engine, so I don't think valves were bent. Fuel & spark are getting to plugs. Gone to try the crank sensor next, even though they didn't get that error code. Do you know where that is located on the 2.7 Delta?
    wierd - no codes at all? not sure of location for crank sensor. if crank sensor there should be a code... how was fuel pressure tested and how full is tank?
  • pen2guin3pen2guin3 Member Posts: 5
    I almost have the same problem as the above post but upon restarting my engine does turn over and starts but roughly 4 to 7 seconds later it dies again...? Any possible causes and/or solutions would be much appreciated. OK - first thing first I have a 2004 Santa Fe (4 cyl 2.7 L FWD) with only 42,000 miles on it. Coming from home work roughly doing 25 - 35mph my car all of a suddenly stalls - coasting to a stop (while crossing a very busy intersection I might add). After putting it in park I try to restart it - the engine cranks over as usual and starts but roughly 4 to 7 seconds afterwards it stalls again. I did this 4 or 5 times again with the same results. I'm almost positive the check engine light is on. The next day I popped the hood to see if the belt broke but its fine so I tried to start it again (same results engine starts but after 4 to 7 sec. stalls again). Before this engine trouble I haven't had one ounce of trouble from my Santa Fe. Not to be funny but yes there is a half a tank of gas in it...lol.. with all fluids filled as they should be. After some research I kind of think its the Crank-shaft sensor (seems to be a problem with them in the Santa Fe's). Does anyone have the same issue and/or solution before I finally take it in to the dealership...? Thanks in advance......!
  • altostephaltosteph Member Posts: 3
    I've had 2 incidents now where it seems that my 2009 Limited AWD Santa Fe (auto transmission) has lost power while driving. I was not driving in AWD with either incident. I have about 48K miles on the car.

The first time, I was driving on the expressway at 65 mph and suddenly I lost the ability to accelerate. I would push down on the accelerator, the RPM dial would increase, but the car would not accelerate and started slowing down gradually until I pulled off to the side of the road. 3 lights came on -- The ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and Check Engine (Malfunction Indicator Light) had a steady light. The AWD System Warning Light flashed. I pulled off to the side of the road. Shut off the car, and then restarted it without problems. The check engine light stayed on, but the other lights went out. The next morning I took the car into my local mechanic (the check engine light was on as I drove it there) and of course by the time they looked at it, the check engine light was off. They kept the car for a couple of days, test drove it several times and couldn't reproduce the problem.

The 2nd incident occurred about 3 weeks later...same scenario except that I was driving about 40 mph at the time. The check engine light stayed on when I used the car a couple of times over about a 16 hour period, but then went off. I'm taking it to a local dealer this weekend for them to check it out.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions of what to look for?
  • genvpgenvp Member Posts: 1
    That sucks. I had an Hyundai Sonta 2010 GL @ 50K KM. It had main bearing failure too. It's been 3 weeks. No loaner car nothing. Hyundai Canada nor the dealer won't give a loaner. Really sux.
  • cm2120cm2120 Member Posts: 1
    This exact thing just happened to me yesterday, same make/model & same mileage. I am going to call the dealer today to have them take a look but I am wondering what the final outcome was of your issue?? I am actually out of town on a family vacation so this is putting quite a dent in our plans...I would be most interested in hearing back from you as to what the root cause of the issue was, what the repair consisted of and the approximate cost.
    Thank you,
  • superglide1975superglide1975 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 2006 Santa Fe Limited and the gas mileage is dropping fast. I took it to a auto center with this problem and $1265 later I still have the same problem. It's gone from 20.5 to 17.2 avg. There are no codes showing up and the suv is running great after having the power steering pump changed, and the timing belt. The suv has 107k on it. Anyone got an idea what's causing the decrease in mileage?
    If you idle a lot or are in traffic a lot you will never see good mpg. I have an '07 rated for 24mpg. I did notice that I used to see 17mpg a lot and now it is more like 14-15mpg but I do more short trips now and idle more. If you are doing the same type of driving and you see a drop there is a problem worth investigating. If your driving habits have changed - that would be your answer. Also... try to do emissions system cleaning every 12k miles and throw some good fuel system cleaner in your gas tank every 3-4k miles to keep everything clean. Your best mpg will be when you do nonstop hwy miles. Also- between tune ups - even if you have some great spark plugs rated to last 100k - they will lose efficiency at some point - get tired - not enough to throw a svc eng light but you lose some performance incl. gas mileage.
  • akhusseyakhussey Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same problem and was wondering if you ever figured out the problem? THANKS!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Hi, my Santa Fe 2007 is about 6 years old, has about 96,000 miles. It recently started having a random ECS light come on Then go off after turning the key again. This issue has stopped for at least a year now. ECS issues like this also have to do with Throttle Position sensors. go figure?

But it currently has a problem, in high traffic at speeds between 30-40 MPH the car does not seem to want to switch gears, it gets noisy as though it stays in third gear. Then it decides at around 2300 RPM that it needs to switch gears and acts fine. But again I am in traffic and as I slow down again, it fights to get back into gear. The first thing I did was try to manually shift it in traffic and the gears worked fine.

I took it to Hyundai today, I could not replicate the issue of course, with the tech in the passanger seat, but he did tell me my tires are out of round. Duh!!! I aint buying new tires again, these are only 2 1/2 years old, and they aint cheap.

Anyway they put it on the scan machine and they saw an active code for the Throttle position sensor, when I asked if it was covered under the 100k mile warranty they said no?????? It's part of the drive train come on.

Well I had also purchased the extended warranty and they had called Hyundai up to make sure it was covered like. I have the highest end warranty you can get it better be covered. Of course they want me to pay 100 bucks for the copay. I dont think I should pay anything.

I checked online and bad Throttle position sensors are common with these models. Anyway why wouldnt this be covered on the 10 year\100k warranty in the first place. I havent gotten the car back but will let you know if it fixed it or caused more issues. I want this think checked over good since its close to 100k now.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Check your valve cover for leaking above the alternator, four years into my 2007 and it leaked all over the alternator, destroyed that and the battery.

Hyundai replaced gasket and alternator under warranty. Had to get new battery under Sams Club warranty.

I think this problem may be more common then you think, so check for leaks, perhaps check the torque on those bolts.
  • herrman71herrman71 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Santa fe with 75130 miles. 2 years ago i replaced the battery and an alternator. At that time i was told the value cover gasket had leaked oil on the alternator and destroyed it. All repairs out of my pocket. Current day. Same problem, dead cell in battery replaced battery $160. The first battery I replaced myself, sears die hard. My local sears is closed so im out the warrenty on the 2 year old battery. Everything is fine. one day later stuck along side of road. The battery appears to b dead. Now they will want to replace alternator. That will be about $500.
    I looked at the alternator and it looks to have oil on it.If the valve cover leak caused the problem then that tells me they are not doing a good job at fixing the leaky gasket. The value cover gaskets have been replaced twice on the truck both at no charge.
    Does a bad alternator kill a battery? or does the battery kill the alternator?
    I really need a solution to this problem this shouldn't happen 2 years later.
    I really thinking of selling it and going back to a Chevy product!!!!!
  • lars23lars23 Member Posts: 1
    I have had two occasions where the engine in my 20ll Santa Fe has stalled while driving at slower speeds. One was on a small hill as I approached the bottom and the second was on a city street where traffic was moving at about 25 MPH (40 KM). No warning each time and no warning lights showed up on the dash. I know others have had this same problem and I wonder if there is an answer or if Hyundai is aware of this problem before I take the car to the dealer.
  • mammousmammous Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am from saudi arabia and I am facing the same issue , I sent my car to Hyundai dealer , I came to know that according to them that hyundai aware of this issue, to me it is been three years of frustration this issue and more like ESP and The 4WD are never solved not even with the new recall (replacing the break switch ).
  • volunteer13volunteer13 Member Posts: 1
    Last week I had a recurring problem with our 2011 Santa Fe - I had slowed down to make a right hand turn and the engine quit - had there been a car coming out of the parking lot I would have hit it due to power steering not working. We have had this happen a couple of times before about a year ago and took it in for a diagnostic workup and nothing was found. I took it to the dealership today and they did a diagnostic and said that it was the throttle and replaced it. Obviously I am hoping that this is the problem as an engine stalling could be very dangerous - no longer will I try to make the light before it changes if I am making a turn. Apart from this we have satisfied with the 2011, although I do like the 2013 styling better. Our Santa Fe has just over 22,000 miles on it.
  • buzz52buzz52 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I recently had a bad experience with my Santa Fe 2.7 V6 with the engine dieseling for over 45 minutes while I was at Menards shopping. I did have a problem with the car starting hard, but only after getting fuel. It didn't matter wither or not I put 20 dollars in or filled it up. It would run rough for about 4-5 minutes and then it would run great until the next time I got fuel, or at least that was the way it was before I had this big problem. The only thing that I did was change the gas cap with a new one that I bought from an auto parts store who assured me that it was the right cap for my Santa Fe. It was shortly after this that I had the problem with the car dieseling on me, which I never had before. There were other cars being parked around us at the time and did not think that my car was still running, after all I had the keys for my car out of the ignition and in my pocket so how could my car be still running, or so I thought. We went into the store thinking all was ok until we were done shopping about 30 to 45 minutes later and came back out of the store where I saw two gentlemen looking at my car and one of them had a fire extinguisher on him. I ask them what the problem was and they said that my car had been running for some time and must have blew out the radiator because there was antifreeze all over the ground under my car. I got into the car and tried to shut it down with the key by turning the car on and back off again, and still had a very hard time shutting it down. I had the car towed to the shop to find out what the repair cost would be to get it back on the road and they told me that they would have to replace the engine and will cost me over 4,500.00 to fix. So here I sit with a car in the shop that I am still making payments on and have to come up with 4,500.00 some how to fix it. Can anyone please tell me if they had any problems at all like this with any other Hyundai Santa Fe or any other type of Hyundai?
  • 5bnative5bnative Member Posts: 1
    When I start my Santa Fe it makes a chugging, clunking sound for about 30 seconds. Then the rpm's rev up and then back down to a normal idle. The check engine light is on now. Any thoughts?