Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• lindseylindsey Member Posts: 41
    No, I haven't seen a real one yet. Got a package from Saturn with the 3-d glasses, but it's just not the same. You know how it is. Sometimes a vehicle looks much more impressive in the flesh.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I agree. I circled the Vue about 3 times to get a really good feel for the size and look. It's pretty cool. Are there no car shows in your area?

It will be interesting to see how the 4 cyl engine is vs the V6. With gas prices where they are, I'm almost tempted to go 4 cyl. if performance is acceptable.
    I'm in the Tampa Bay area (St. Petersburg) and we'll have the Tampa Bay International Auto Show November 2-5. Thanks for posting that link. That was more new Saturn information than I've seen in a while.
    No problem. You will probably see a lot of press later in the summer. The Vue is not out till the fall, so it's a bit early I guess.
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    I happen to be a self proclaimed expert on all things Saturn.

The VUE will weigh only slightly more than a L-300 and as such the acceleration will be near the top of its class. Just don't try to tow much!

Assuming the CVT works out as planned the 4 cyl will have gas milage unheard of before in an SUV. I'm thinking around 35 on the highway. (How do you like them apples?)

The SUV will be sold as quickly as we get them until February. This is because they will ONLY make 8000 units available nationwide between December and February. Yes this means it won't be released until December.
    I read the Vue was to be released in September. Why the delay??

I will test both the 4 and the 6, but I'm still leaning 6 for now.
    I like the concept of the CVT but am wary of long-term reliability of this new engineering. Has GM used this type of transmission in any other applications? Also, what is your estimate for city mileage for the 4 cyl? I gather from your previous posts that you work at a Saturn dealership. Where is it located?
    The VUE launch has been pushed back several times. Why? Simply put - Saturn wants to make sure when they release the VUE that is it RIGHT. Spring Hill has never made anything but the S series - and the VUE is a brand new vehicle. This is why there will be limited production initially to ensure top notch quality. The L series has some design issues when it was released and they don't want a repeat.

As for CITY milage I would estimate 25 for the CVT.

As for which retail facility I work at - read my profile. (Saturn doesn't call em dealerships)

:)
    Your profile doesn't say anything about where you work and it says you are looking for a BMW?

As for the Vue, I'm glad they are taking their time with it. That being said, I am shocked as to how much time. At the auto show, the sales person said September/ October
    My profile - I am looking for an M5 which I can buy for only 200 a month. I will be looking for a very long time...

It doesn't say where I work I know. What I am saying is that I will not tell you where I work.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    yet?

Unpatiently waiting.
    Nope. Even the one at the auto show last month was a prototype you could only look at from a distance. You will have to wait till the fall at the earliest.
  • lelandclelandc Member Posts: 26
    I saw a VUE driving down the road the other day. It was a rust or orange color - not sure what they call it. I live in Michigan and see a lot of the new stuff before it goes into production. It was pretty nice looking.

L
    That sounds like the same color they had at the auto show. Must be a prototype also as they are not even close to the production stage yet.
    but they had it on a turntable so you couldn't really check it out.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I just received in the mail some information on the VUE and I am surprised that only six colors are available. And one of them is that reddish orange currently making the rounds at the various Auto Shows. Anyway this new Saturn,has me very intrigued and I can't wait to see it in person in the fall
    I really don't like that orange color at all. Red, black and gray look best to me.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    planning on replacing our '97 CR-V next year. We were debating between the Forrester and the Tribute until we saw the VUE at the Vancouver auto show. The VUE's bigger size and competitive price are attractive. A couple of questions. Does anyone know:
    1. How attractive is the interior compared to the Tribute's?
    2. How reliable are Saturn products? How about build quality in terms of rattles and fit and finish.
    I have to admit I have never considered Saturn before since it's a GM product and I don't have much faith in GM quality. (or Ford's or Chrysler's for that matter)
    BTW, I do have lingering concerns about the Tribute. They have supposedly fixed all the recall problems. But now people in the other discussions are talking about rust in the underbody components. I mean, have they really cut corners for this vehicle? I examined the Tribute at the auto show quite thoroughly, and IMHO, the interior seems flimsy. ie. door panels, door levers, dash, cupholders.
    Saturn is a great company. I have never owned one, but I have been into the dealerships and the level of professionalism is outstanding. It's a very relaxed atmosphere.

As for the VUE, The interior is not luxurious, but it is very well laid out. The space was impressive, as were the exterior looks. Build quality will likely be above average as it will be asembled in Spring Hill. I think Saturn had some bugs in it's first year of LS production, but the SL models have been mostly trouble free. The launch of the VUE has been pushed back to late 2001 as they are really trying to make sure this SUV is trouble free.

If you are looking for more space than your CR-V, I think the VUE is a great step up.
    I'm curious to know how long the space would be between the rear door and the front seats. My wife and I do a lot of backpacking and are curious if it would be possible to lay down the rear seats and sleep back there.
    Nope. I did get a look inside though, and I read the dimensions which are much bigger than the CR-V. I guess nothing is for sure until you get in the thing.
    As usual I am privy to inside information regarding Saturn products. Now, bow down and worship me!

The internal height of the cargo area (i.e. load floor to the roof)

Height is approximately 800mm (31.5 inches).

The length of the cargo area (from the back of the driver's seat to the hatch)

Length behind the first row of seats is approximately 1400mm (55 inches).

There will be more information about the "On the Inside" in mid-May

Hope this helps.

(I have incredible copy/paste skills)

:)
    I think that would be less than a Subaru Forester.
    whether the VUE has a hand-brake, or a foot-operated parking brake?
    n/m
  • MarkJPetersonMarkJPeterson Member Posts: 5
    Anyone got any thoughts on the towing capacity of the 4cyl/CVT AWD Vue? Given the cost of gas lately (yeah, that's going to get better...), I'm going for the highest mileage I can get, but I also need something that can tow a medium sized utility trailer occasionally (which I currently do with a 1.6L/5-speed Sidekick).

Also, when the Vue is initially released, will the 4/CVT models be available, or will they be delayed until the initial "teething pains" are worked through on the other models. What are the reliability predications with this new transmission as well.

Just trying to get some of my ducks in a row.
    Don't know about the towing, but a local Saturn sales man told me they expect to get an initial shipment with a couple of each. I'm not sure if he was just talking though. Nothing much to be seen till fall anyway. Seems so far away.
    Check out www.saturnfans.com as they have lots of inside pictures of the new VUE!
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    about the VUE making its debut in September or December?

You should never buy a GM vehicle in its first year of production, and that includes Saturn.

Let Saturn sell a few VUEs to the people who need to be the first on their block, wait for the automotive press to rip the VUE to shreds, give Saturn time to fix some recalls, and then when Saturn is all beaten-down and humbled, buy your new VUE.

GM has used the same product cycle since the fifties; first year - alot of hype and disappointment, second year - apologize and try to bring the customers back, third year - fix the problems and sell a good vehicle. Final year, when the vehicle is at its best, kill it; remember the Cadillac Allante, Pontiac Fiero, '96 Impala SS, 2002 Camaro, etc.

If you're in a real hurry, buy a RAV4. I hear they're good.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Saturn had three on display, two of which were prototypes/customized (in their brochures, posters), and one of which they claimed was identical to production. From what I could see, the turquoise/green prototype had larger and more up scale seats. The seat cushions in the production model were very short (i.. as in Jeep products). The overall size and appearance of the vehicle was perfect. Utility area looked cavernous. Much larger than the CRV. Reps states that the V6 will come only in an automatic all wheel drive version. Handsome vehicle. But does one want to take a risk on a GM first year product?
    I think it is a good idea to wait and see how the VUE is before jumping in. As for the RAV4, the Toronto Star review of it was not great. While they thought it was ok for around town, they thought the engine was too buzzy and build quality was surprisingly poor for Toyota.

gpolt ; Aztek is a first year and it's been fine. Still, I agree.. it's a bit of a risk regardless of manufacturer.
    If build quality is a risk you're not willing to take, never buy a first year vehicle, regardless of manufacturer. I thought about a RAV4 but I'd like to take more than a briefcase with me on our hiking trips.
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    temporarily.

The Aztek may be a good vehicle, but it has been crucified in the press for its looks. I don't think it deserves such a bad rap but in America (and maybe in Canada), image means everything and the Aztek is an example of a new vehicle that, through no fault of its own, is ripped to shreds by the automotive press. Okay, I admit it's hideous.

If the VUE isn't flawless from day one, don't expect less from Car & Driver, et al.

My local Pontiac dealer had only one Aztek on the lot last September and it was marked-up $1500 over list for LOA (lack of availability). He now has plenty of availability for Azteks that nobody wants.

I've bought a bunch of new cars and I've never been sorry that I waited a couple of years to let the bugs work out, or for the price to cool off. That includes Toyota.

Example: One of my Army buddies paid $25,000 (about $10,000 over sticker) for a 1990 Miata because it was the first one in town.

Let the suckers buy the first one in town, regardless of the brand.
  • haiduchaiduc Member Posts: 5
    Can't wait for the VUE to debut. I'm interested in the VUE mainly because of its reputation for customer satisfaction, and the fact that you can have it either as FWD or AWD, and a choice of V6 or 4 cylinder. 99% of the people never take their SUVs off road, so why bother with a 4x4? It just adds cost, weight and complexity for very little use. The VUE also seems to have a better interior than most GM cars.

I haven't looked closely the new RAV4, but last year model has cheap plastic and odd looking exterior to me. Don't care about the weird rear of the CR-V, or the tall box Forester.

The Escape is a nice car, but until Ford is serious about building quality cars, they will not succeed in the long term. Toyota and Honda are eating their lunch.

Let's just hope that Saturn will get it right the first year out.
    As I understand it, Saturn is taking it's time to make sure Vue is right, hence the delays till late fall. This truck is new from the ground up so they have to be careful. The main reasons I am interested is space, good looks, utility and fuel economy. With gas going through the roof with no end in sight, I may even consider a 4 cyl model.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oct. 1 introduction hoped to boost Saturn sales.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Ahhh trying to stump me are ya?

Well you FAILED!!!

1500 lbs for the 4 cyl

2500 for the 6 cyl
    There are going to be only 8000 units allocated for the entire nation from December to February. Why? Saturn doesn't want another L series launch.

They are going to take their time to (hopefully) ensure initial quality is high.

In otherwords, that salesperson wasn't feeding you a line of B.S.

We have taken many deposits already at our store.
    So people are putting deposits down on a truck with no pricing?

Any idea about Canadian allocations? I probably won't be looking until the spring, just curious.
    on www.saturnfans.com. Pictures can be deceiving but first impression is that the interior looks fairly spartan and plasticky. Also, one of the photos (page 1, bottom right photo)shows a big ugly gap in the console panels. Hope that's just pre-production flaws.
    Good question. I have no idea about Canada.

Hard to believe but yes people are putting down deposits with no pricing info, and no idea about equiptment ect. We have over a dozen deposits.

I had a lady who was interested in the VUE or the Acura MDX. I asked her if she could easily afford the MDX. She said yes. I told her to go and buy one as it was way nicer than the Saturn by a long shot. She wouldn't hear of it and gave me a deposit and went on the waiting list. Go figure....
  • bbeard74bbeard74 Member Posts: 4
    I was in the Opal plant in Hungary last summer where the CT is to be produced. I understand that as late as the beginning of this year, they were still setting equipment for the manufacturing line. It will be VERY interesting to see if they can make the deadlines for bringing that transmission to market, considering what seems by all accounts to be a late start on fabrication.
    I guess they could delay the CVT models and only release 5-speed 4 bangers and automatic 6-cyl models. From what I hear, the VUE will not come out until late fall now.
  • mmackenzie1mmackenzie1 Member Posts: 13
    on features, pricing, or availability? I have had great luck with Saturn's in the past, and would love to at least consider the VUE. The problem is that my current vehicle (not a Saturn) is on its last legs, and I don't know if it will make it.
    Unfortunately there has been no news on the Vue at all. Release is set for late fall in limited supply. I wish it were sooner, but then again, our lease is not up for a year still.
    It just hasn't been broadcasted to the public. I would tell you everything I know but I don't know how much I am supposed to tell.

What I mean is I don't know if Saturn isn't advertising the info I have or they don't want peope to know yet.

I can tell you this. If its as good as I read then the biggest problem will be making enough to meet demand and keep quality as high as they plan.

There is plenty of life in Saturn
    Any more details on pricing?
    someone at the Saturn 800 number. He said they still do not have an exact release date for the VUE, but are aiming at late October or early November.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I found out from Ford (because I just ordered an Escape) "that with the FWD as the main drive for the 4WD, it is NOT recommended to tow the escape/tribute or any other FW4WD vehicle at that matter behind a motor home/camper for you may wear down the drivetrain alot (and I quote the Dealer) faster than butter melts on a hot sidewalk. If you want to tow/pull the vehicle behind either use a trailer or at least a wheel lift for the front wheels.

I don't know if this would affect to Saturn VUE. So you might want to ask the dealer about the Towing.