Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Long Term Storage

cajunsmittycajunsmitty Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x2 with 88K miles that I put in a government contracted storage facility because I got stationed overseas for four years. The truck has the following items checked at least once a month: move car, tire pressure, all fluid levels, engine run, a/c & heat, lights, gauges, horn, engine coolant. I want to make sure the truck is in top shape shortly after I take it out of storage. What should I do to the truck after I pick it up this summer? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    While they are taking good care of your truck with all those monthly checks, you should still look to change all the fluids, including gasoline, as quickly as possible. While they are getting some sporadic use, 4 years is too long to expect some of these fluids to still be as serviceable as they should be, and some may have even caused corrosion or been contaminated. Similarly, I'd consider changing the battery, the battery cables, fan belt, and spark plugs/wires for the same reason. They are likely not running the truck long enough to build up to operating temperature for any length of time, so the wear of a cold start every month is taking its toll on all the moving parts.

You may also want to think about new tires fairly quickly. Even if they're not flat-spotted, they are not getting much use and could be cracking or dry-rotting.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    cajunsmittycajunsmitty Member Posts: 2
    Hey, thanks for the advise! I was hoping the it wouldn't be too much trouble getting it back into good shape. I was considering taking it to CarMax and trading it in for a newer Dodge Ram...but this time a 4x4! But now it all depends where I get stationed next...I am pretty attached to the truck. Thanks again.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    No problem! Hopefully, you get stationed stateside for a while and can stick with your Ram :)

kcram - Pickups Host
This discussion has been closed.