Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    But the F/e will be better, so it's probably a wash. Premium fuel does not cost twice as much per tank. At $.20 spread it's a couple of bucks per tank.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    JDM Foresters have keyless start, SI-Drive, and other goodies. U.S. always gets the cheapest watered down cars from Subaru.
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    I decided to do what comet48 did and eMailed Subaru about the iPod interface and compatibility with the upgraded audio system. Here's what they said:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. The information provided to you by your Subaru dealer is correct. The current iPod Interface is not applicable to your 2009 Forester 2.5XT Ltd model.

The stereo system in our 2009 Forester 2.5X and 2.5X Premium Package models is from a different manufacturer than the system in our other 2009 Forester models, including the 2.5XT models. The system in your Forester is not compatible with the current iPod Interface. We are working on an iPod Interface that will be compatible with the stereo system in your Forester. I have been advised that this should be available for purchase this summer.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department

My first thought was that this resolves the issue, but since this is a different response than comet48 got as to the same system (in the LL Bean and the XT Limited), I think I'll just wait for them to work it out this summer.
    But the F/e will be better, so it's probably a wash. Premium fuel does not cost twice as much per tank. At $.20 spread it's a couple of bucks per tank.

It's actually more than a wash--it's substantially in favor of the Forester. According to fueleconomy.gov (the government's official gas mileage site), a Cherokee with the 4.0L six got 14 city, 19 hwy, with an annual fuel cost of $3384; the Forester XT gets 19 city, 24 hwy with an annual fuel cost of $2742 (annual fuel cost is based on several assumptions re city vs. hwy driving and fuel prices that may not be how Lucy drives, but at least the comparison is apples to apples).
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    juice,

I can understand her not wanting to come to Jersey!

According to the Subaru website, all Foresters sold here are, in fact, PZEV rated.

Len
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Apparently Subaru has resumed production of Turbo engines. The problem appeared to be lower bearing wear in a tiny number of engines.

My dealer contacted me and told me my vehicle, build around Jan 8 or so, was not affected by the recall. And given it's gone over 1000 miles without knocking sounds, perhaps it will be fine. Its noises are a flap of the (I think) air pump valve after startup, and the overhead creaks (where the latest trick of applying silicon lube to all the cables and inner upper roof surface is waiting for verification - I__despise__creaks :mad:
  • bbthomasbbthomas Member Posts: 24
    "i also can't but help but wonder why Subaru is still using a 4-speed automatic what with everyone wither switching to CVT's or 5,6, or 7 speed automatics..."

I was also surprised by this and was hoping for the 5EAT. MT just had a base model comparison in which the Forester placed 1st. Based on their data it has the highest RPM in top gear.

Top-gear revs @ 60 mph:
    CR-V - 1900 rpm (5AT)
    Rogue - 2000 rpm (CVT)
    VU - 1900 rpm (4AT)
    Forester - 2450 rpm (4AT)
    RAV4 - 2200 rpm (4AT)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Was about to say all the cars in NJ and NY are PZEV

-mike
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    and as your list shows, the majority of comparable vehicles come only with a 4AT. To be fair, the list does miss the Mitsu with a 6. Tuscon runs a 4AT, Santa Fe a 4 or 5 AT. I think though that while the 4AT is acceptable in the n/a engine, the XT should have the 5EAT subie already makes.
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    Good news on your ride..Thats Cool!!!!!! does anyone know if they sell Blue Pearl Spray can paint.
    from cars101.com:

X: Automatic (and in LL, Automatic Sportshift 4speed):
    1st 2.785, 2nd 1.545, 3rd 1.0, 4th 0.694 reverse 2.272; final 4.444

XT: Automatic SportShift 4speed:
    1st 2.785, 2nd 1.545. 3rd 1.0, 4th 0.694, reverse 2.272. Final 4.111

Note XT's final drive ratio is lower. This explains why the Turbo keeps its engine revs down at freeway cruising speeds (at 60 mph, I see around 2K revs.).

Motor Trend claims the XT gets from 0 to 60 in about 6.6 sec, ..vs.. 9.9 sec for the X series. They also remark that the turbo is a twin scroller, and doesn't have the usual turbo rush (latter seems true for me).

You will use more fuel with the XT. I have yet to break 20 mpg with mine, though nearly all my driving's on local streets with plenty of traffic lights. At least the engine doesn't burn oil :shades:

And as for the magic foam, tkay, a lot of that went away in lieu of silicone lube on the wiring harnesses in the roof (wires like to move around up there and they kept rubbing the roof or the plastic light housing). Once it warms up here I'll know whether or not the new setup works.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    PZEV? Hmm, tempting.

What exit?

:D
    Glad to hear that, kurt.

I guess a certain person who called your engine a lemon now has his foot in his mouth. :D

• leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    juice,

Exit 82 on the Garden State Parkway. If you are interested, go to their website, and print yourself out a $250.00 coupon. It'll pay for your gas and tolls! Seriously, though, it's probably only a few hours away for you.

Len
    Keep in mind the Forester was the only AWD model in that test. I'm not sure if the AWD option on the others affects the gearing. Probably in some cases, because manufacturers gear AWD models shorter to offset the extra weight and drivetrain loss.

Edit: Toyota does use a shorter final drive for its AWD Sienna, compared to the FWD model. So it's likely they do the same for the RAV4.

Make sure you read the whole review, though. You might miss some highlights:

* most lateral grip (tied)
    * most HP
    * lightest
    * best ride
    * best visibility
    * 2nd best braking
    * most ground clearance
    * tightest turning circle (despite AWD)
    * most balanced weight distribution
    * highest towing capacity
    * most headroom front and rear
    * most front legroom
    * 2nd best figure 8

The funny part was this:

this rare thing called "great outward vision."

So true! :shades:
    But in Los Angeles CA :shades: , people don't __want__ vision! They want gun slit windows tinted almost opaque! That way they're "invisible" and can drive like crazy - until they pile into someone else !! :sick:

And (perhaps :confuse: ), big vehicle sales, along with gansta specials, are doin' fine down there.

Seriously, good visibility is great to have (if nothing else, to help avoid the "fools") and the '09 Forester stacks up very well there.
    It's brilliant, though, if you think about it.

You build a car with terrible visibility to the rear, then market a $2000 Navigation system with a backup cam! Win-Win! :D

Subaru was guilty, too, on the original Tribeca. It's much better now.
  • bbthomasbbthomas Member Posts: 24
    I agree with the review having test drove the 09 a few weeks ago. I think it's the best overall package, but they missed a few details. I'll probably end up getting an LL Bean/Limited once they become more plentyful.
    referred to by an Edmunds Straightline blog link:

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/winners_08/2_25.html
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    We have narrowed our search for a new car to the Forester turbo or the Acura RDX.We like the ride of the forester, large windows, etc. Howver the RDX is more tempting because of its luxury. Any avdvice? (We are in our mid 50's and occasionally take long road trips).
    Thanks for your help!
    I found the RD-X a bit small, plus it's a bit beyond what we want to spend.

What kind of things were you looking for?

The stereo opening is double-DIN sized, so the sky is the limit. You can get any of the best aftermarket GPS systems with a lot of features OE systems do not offer. That might more than make up for it.

Nowadays, they're not cutting and splicing, either. The double-DIN stereos fit with a stock look, and they use harnesses to plug things in. I've installed 2 double-DINs and one single DIN sized stereo myself but you could rely on a retailer like Circuit City if you prefer.

Let me post up one example:

Kenwood Excelon DNX8120

Features:

Plays DVDs
    Garmin Navigation
    big 7" screen
    optional Garmin FM traffic receiver
    XM Traffic/Weather ready
    built-in Bluetooth
    compatible with Kenwood iPod adapter, HD Radio tuner
    compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls

$1500 from Crutchfield. Wait for a free installation special from Circuit City.

I know the Acura RL has traffic (RD-X, dunno?), that's why I specifically searched for one that had that feature.

That is the top of the line model, there are a few cheaper ones with fewer features.

I guess I just prefer aftermarket stuff. Instead of paying $2000 for a tiny 8" DVD screen on my minivan, I paid $900 and got 12". :shades:
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Tough choice. I personally don't care for the RDX's styling, but other than that it's a great car. The Acura will likely have a longer warranty, as it's a premium brand. My guess is it would be more expensive too.

The Acura, from what I understand, has an excellent AWD system. It also has a 5-speed automatic, whereas the Forester has a 4-speed automatic. The Acura's Tech Package is probably more sophisticated than the Forester's NAV unit. The Forester can tow more, if that's important. My guess is the roof rack load rating is also higher on the Forester.

Of the two you're comparing, I think it would be the better choice—but you'll probably end up paying more for it.

Bob
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Help!
    I'm trying to decide between the 2008 vs 2009 Forester. I have a great price on the 2008 and like the visibility, and that it is a little smaller. The cup holders are too small to be useable. I thought the seats seemed a bit hard after being in it for a while. Will they "break in" at all?
    I'd like to hear any comments that 2008 or 2009 owners have pro or con about their vehicles now that they have had time to drive them.
    If anyone has driven both versions, comments comparing them would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The only reason to buy the '08 model is for the price, which you mentioned. However, I'd go for the '09 model. It's more refined and roomier, especially for rear seat passengers. Plus it has VDC, which is stability control, a safety feature, which the '08 model doesn't have.

...And yes, I've driven both the '08 and '09 models. In fact I've driven several '09s.

Bob
    If you take long road trips, the Acura is a better choice - far more comfortable. You have a working dual climate control vs. Forester's out-of-control system, much better NAV with voice recognition, memory settings for seats and mirrors, more comfortable seats.

The Forester will give you slightly better MPG and better acceleration. The 2.3 turbo in the RDX has poor performance for the mass of the vehicle and very bad turbo lag.

If you want to spend more for the ultimate long trip SUV, the Lexus RX350 would me my choice.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    If you want to spend more for the ultimate long trip SUV, the Lexus RX350 would me my choice.

if you're looking at the RX350, might as well look at the X5 as well.
    If your roads are rough, keep in mind the Acura has a much harder (firmer) ride quality than the Forester does, and less suspension travel to deal with the occasional big pothole.

The Leather Powered seats in the upgrade Foresters are also more comfortable than the base cloth model seats.
    Consumers Union commented that '08 and earlier Foresters had uncomfortable seats for long trips.
    That appears fixed in the '09, especially with the up market Leather Power seats.
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    My Fiance and I are looking at the '09 Forester and love it. We are looking at the 2.5X Premium or the LL Bean. What did people say about the idol interface? Is it going to work? Also, any suggestions for price? I want the LLB for 25k but I don't know if that's going to happen. Also, any idea when incentives will become available?
    Apparently I-pod is not available for the upper XT models just yet - supposedly by mid summer. Some people here commented their I-pod interface installations led to dash rattling.

The '09 Forester is selling very well and the XT models may be very hard to find given a stop order had (has ?? - it may be lifted now) halted sale of the Turbo models earlier this year.
    What did people say about the idol interface? Is it going to work?

American Idol interface for the Forester? COOL! :shades:
    Is the ipod interface, I assume that's the jack???, available for the 2.5x or the bean edition? I'd like to have that.
    I chatted with Subaru about Engine Oil requirements and they advised me ( in capital letters :surprise: ) that it is critical to follow their oil change policy, and to allow vehicles to break in for at least 1000 miles before going to Synthetic.

There have been other comments on the forums about Subaru not honoring warranties because oil change procedures were not followed.
    I'd suggest purchasers take Subaru very seriously on this, especially with the XT Turbo models which need oil changes around every 3K miles no matter _what_ oil you use.
    it looks like it's not ready for the bean edition bu according to subaru.com it's available for 2.5x premium and 2.5x.

also, can anyone tell me the different between the bean and the 2.5x? I know there is a price point different but I'm trying to find the big difference.

Thanks!
    Samiam,

Seems like it will work on the 2.5x and 2.5x premium models only right now. If you go to this website you can read more.

http://www.subaru.com/ipod/index.jsp?from=glossary
    Get the 09.

Sure it costs 10% more, but you'll get that back in resale down the road anyway, and the whole time you own you'll be enjoying all the improvements.
    what is the difference between the 2.5x premium and the ll bean that is a big difference?
    Leather and the All-weather package, mostly.

That means heated seats, heated mirrors, and a windshield wiper de-icer.

The heated mirrors are especially nice. On my Sienna they barely work at all, and only serve to melt a little frost.

I rode along with Bob in his wife's Forester and they are soooo much better. They actually burn off rain, so even in heavy rain the mirrors stayed totally clear. I was amazed.

The catch? You have to keep turning them on because I think they go off on a timer.
    Thanks! Is it worth it? I'd like the ipod and sirius as well but don't want to be up around 27k for the car. I know the invoice is 25k but I doubt anyone is selling at invoice.
  • gearhead8gearhead8 Member Posts: 12
    I have been driving Subaru Legacys and Outbacks for 9 years and had mostly good experiences. Last week, I almost went to my favorite Subaru dealer to buy a 09 Forester... but then I had to stop and buy gasoline ($3.90 / gallon). I then looked at the 09 Forester MPG rating (20 mpg city/26 mpg higway) and decided to stop at the Honda dealer first. The Honda won the mpg race.
    Subaru is talking about bringing their new diesel boxer to the USA, but with diesel selling for $4.30 a gallon, I'm not impressed.
    I have $900 in Subaru bucks burning a hole in my pocket, but unless Subaru does something to squeeze more miles out of a gallon on gas, I won't buy another Subaru.
    Subaru actually gets better gas mileage according to the epa standards. What changed your mind? For me, the subaru forester has to cost less than the crv otherwise I might as well get a crv.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Which Honda did you even look at, the CR-V (4WD) is comparable to the Forester and it gets the same EPA. Also keep in mind these are the new EPA standards so your numbers could be higher depending on your driving style.
    Exactly my point. I have been looking at SUV's for 2 months and there are only two with AWD or 4wd that keep the epa standards of 20/25 or more and that's the crv and the forester so I'd like to know what made you change your mind on the forester?
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    First and foremost, we want a safe vehicle with good visibility and AWD for our snowy winters. If we could get all that and some toys, it would be nice. The Forester with some extras would be great, but it's not available eg.Nav,dual climate controls. That's why we are considering the RDX. However, safety is our first priority. Your thoughts, please?!
    Hi redrose1--Go back a few pages to post #1096 to see my detailed take on exactly this. To summarize, I'm a long time multiple Acura owner, but was very disappointed in the space and ride of the RDX--it's a real kidney-beater on anything but perfect roads. The passenger compartment of the Forester is much roomier, the ride is better, the power to weight ratio is better, it gets better gas mileage, and it has significantly more ground clearance (almost 3 inches) which may be important in the snow.

The RDX is not selling particularly well right now so you can get a very good deal on it, so there's not a lot of real world difference betweeen the cost of a base (i.e., everything but nav) RDX vs. a loaded XT Limited. I had the RDX on an all-day test drive so was able to drive it on all kinds of roads--I would suggest you do the same before you decide.
    1) You can't get both satellite radio and the iPod interface

2) The interface is more than just a jack--that you can get in the upmarket models (XT, Bean/Limited)--the interface allows you to operate the iPod from the steering wheel controls, including song change, etc., and turns the iPod on and off with the ignition.

The upmarket models have a different supplier for the audio system than the X and Prem. Interface for the upmarkets should be available at a later date.
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    If by "mutha" you are referring to the 2009 Subaru Forester, then the answer is no :)