Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You were pretty specific so I'll look at your post seperately.

Let's see.

2nd row width, OK, from door to door, maybe? At elbow level, or shoulder level? We should be able to note a couple of inches gain there.

Center seating position - this is the LL Bean so it will have leather but it also has that arm rest/cup holder storage-bin thingy. I doubt the middle will be comfortable. I will try, though.

Frankly in my search for a comfortable 5th seat, the only vehicles that met that criteria for me were the Toyota Sienna minivan and the Ford Expedition full-size SUV, so we might be asking for too much here.

I'll try to remember to look at the fold-flat (how flat?) for the cargo and the gaps there, too.

I see what you mean about a short lower cushion on the seat creating an illusion of space, a trick many use on the 3rd row seats. That's why only kids fit.

Good to go, sounds like I have my work cut out for me. :shades:
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    The Steering Wheel stuff you wrote is spot-on - at the limit of adjustment for large driver.

Thanks.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I think you need to take two measurements for rear seat legroom. From back of front seat to front edge of rear seat cushion (actual foot well width) and then from the back of the front seat to the rear seat back. Pictures are nice but unless you can also post one of you in the same sitting position in an 08 Forester, there's no way to get an apples to apples comparison. I'll perfrom the same two measurements in my Forester and post them here.

How about also measuring the distance from armrest to armrest in the front seat to see if the gain in exterior width translated fully into a comparable increase in interior cabin width. Heck while you're at it, distance from front seat cushion to headliner so we can see where the 4 inch increase in overall height went to (some of it obviously went to add ground clearance).

With the strut towers being heavily modified, there's obviously more cargo space now so if you get the chance to measure that also it would be a bonus but otherwise, we can wait for Joe Spitz to update his excellent website :)

-Frank
    Yeah, I need Joe's help! :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Did we ever determine if any of the '09s have rear LSD?
    I don't think so. They would have listed it as something certain models got that the base model didn't, like they did for telescoping wheel and the rear arm rest/cubbie.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Saw the LLBean model at the Portland, OR Autoshow. No tape measure but rear seat room looked better. I still hate the chrome grill. Hopefully they'll offer the optional black grill like they do on the new Impreza. On the middle seat the LLBean has the fold down armrest and pull out cup holder. Middle seat might be a bit bigger but didn't feel much more comfortable than mine. It would have been nice to be able to adjust the front seat to my driving postion to see how it felt. Rear hatch needs power (no manual latch) so they had to tape it so it wouldn't get stuck. The Subaru rep was hovering over the car telling people not to slam the trunk or it would get stuck closed.

Overall I had mixed feelings. Styling is fine. Not great, but not offensive. Since it looks like most other mini-utes, it will sell well. Interior is nice, but some of the plastics still look cheap. Suprisingly, the car I like the most was the new Impreza Outback with the black grill and roof rails.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Are my eyes going or is the 09 FXT missing a coolant temperature gauge?

http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2009/forester/index.html

Seems like a good portion of the instrument gauge cluster is just wasted space below the tach and below the fuel gauge.
    What a shame. I'm guessing there's an idiot light for engine overheating hiding in all that wasted space. If so, that's a poor substitute for an actual gauge. So I guess the coolant temp is going the way of the voltmeter :(

-Frank
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    When I had an Impreza loaner earlier this month, I noticed, when the engine was cold, a green temp icon lit up. When the engine reached operating temp, the light went out.

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I thought I read someplace that most modern temperature gauges are really just "idiot" lights disguised as a gauge. In other words, they don't truly show the linear movement of the temperature.

While I prefer a gauge, it just doesn't draw your attention as well as an obnoxious light when their really is an issue.

DaveM

P.S. I wonder where they got the "Member Since" date for me? I have my Town Hall registration email and it's dated 5/28/1998. :surprise:
    It's a real shame, because the JDM Foresters have a temp gauge. And they have push-button start. And they have SI-Drive. And they have headlight washers. And....

Why does Subaru always jib the Americans?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I believe the turbos get a gauge and SI-drive.

The non turbos get the idiot light and no SI-drive.

As was mentioned above most "gauges" are idiot lights these days with a few settings on them.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    I don't see a temp gauge or SI-Drive on the US spec 09 FXT. Unless the pics are way off.
    No, they don't, but JDM Forester XTs have them.

Bob
  • dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    So, that cool greenish-blue color shown in the JDM release last month won't be available in the US. Bummer - that would've been my first choice.

I'm curious to see what the "Sage Green" looks like. I really liked the LLB Evergreen Metallic, but I guess it must not have been a big seller if it's out for '09. As for the light blue color of seen in many photos, it also seems odd to show a color at a US show and then not have it available for sale here.

I'm still not wild about the new swoopy interior - like the available tech upgrades (steering wheel controls, e.g.), but I like the interior of my '05 Baja Turbo (w/leather) much better. I don't know why a black leather interior isn't available for a white exterior - I think that's a much more attractive combo than white & beige (or white & gray). Ditto for some of the others exteriors, for that matter.

Either way, though, I'll probably wait for the 2010 model - by then, my Baja will have @ 50K miles on it and any "first year" issues will have been addressed (plus there will possibly be new transmission options). But I'm itching for a new Subaru now!
  • gocerygettengocerygetten Member Posts: 13
    I noticed that you can get darker colors on more exterior colors thats great, but unfortunately only model that comes without a sunroof is the base model. I want more options without a sunroof. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT in Subaru.
    Sorry it's all about the sales numbers. The more options (permutations) they give you the more it costs to produce the cars. So they decided to put the moonroof in the upper end models and the base gets no roof. Unfortunately they aren't a large manufacturer so they have to make calls on options that sometimes don't suit everyone.

-mike
    Sage Green is quite handsome. It's sort of a light metallic silver-green. That's the color of the LL Bean Forester at the DC show is.

Sage Green is the color of the Forester on this SOA Forester micro-site.

http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2009/forester/index.html

Bob
    The color looks nice in the picture from the SOA micro-site - but looks blue-ish in the photo (next to the green grass) -- more blue spruce than sage. So I definitely want to see it in person.

Annapolis Subaru will have an '09 for viewing next Saturday from noon to 2 pm. I doubt I'll make the trip, but the thought has crossed my mind.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Anyone notice there is no more beige? Choices are platinum or off-black. Anyone know the difference between "GRA" and "GR3"? Both are listed as platinum, but I can't figure why they'd have 2 codes for the same interior color, depending on the exterior color it's paired with. :confuse:
    OK, first click this link for reference, because I took all the same measurements that cars101 has for the 2008 model:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2008.html

2009 measurements, with my tape measure. Note I attempted to catch the same measurements, but the exact location used may vary from theirs. FWIW, here goes (all measures in inches, most rounded):

A - was 36, now 40
    B - was 53.5, now 52. Note there are pockets so something like an umbrella might get as much as 62" of width
    C - was 41.5, now 42
    D - was 37.5, now 43
    E - was 46.5, now 45.5
    F - was 53.25, now 48

Those are all width related. Basically it's more square and consistent. While some measures are smaller, the 09 will fit boxy items better, the wheel wells intrude much less basically.

G - was 13, now 17. The wheel well is taller, but not nearly as wide, basically.
    H - was 31.5, now a whopping 36 inches. Huge gains in floor length.
    I - was 62 before, now 67 inches, again big gains in cargo length
    J - was 32.25, remains the same, I got 32" rounded off
    K - was 34", now 31.5". Less height in some places, perhaps the cargo floor is higher?
    L - was 31, now 30.5", about the same useful height with a moonroof

Those are the hard numbers from my tape measure.

Basically the cargo floor (length/width) is identical to the CR-V, and actually beats the RAV4 by an inch in one dimesion (tie in the other). So the area to stack your cargo matches or beats those. There is a bit less cargo height, however. But you can't stack groceries, so useful space is quite good.
    Things that stood out to me, a former 1998 Forester owner:

* love the soft, perforated leather. A+
    * middle seat in back is *not* comfortable if you get the cubby & armrest
    * 4 grab handles, one for each door
    * doors are wider, plus they open wider, for easier ingress/egress
    * still has the huge moonroof I loved, 28" x 28" opening
    * finally true padding for the armrests on the doors
    * hood struts make the old prop rods seem cheap

Cons? 4EAT, like we knew. The carpets are a little thin. The headliner is peach fuzz, though at least the texture is OK. The sun visor is hard plastic, I hope that does not make production. Looks durable, but cheap.

The wife pretty much made up her mind, if it drives nice she wants one.

Her only concern is the middle seat in the back - we car pool kids and she wonders if it's uncomfy. She may want a model without that cubby/armrest, i.e. a more basic model. Does the premium package model get that? She thinks she may prefer a seat that accomodates 3 better.

OK, now on to some more measures I took. There was no 08 to compare them to, so I'll try to explain where I put my tape measure is someone wants to compare theirs.

Knee room - 8", from the front edge of the rear seats to the back edge of the front seat. The cushion seems longer, though.

Total room at knee level - 28", this is from the seat back to the back edge of the front seat.

Head rest to head rest: 32". This is the space between them.

Rear seat width: 51" between arm rests, 56" at shoulder level (min.)

Front seat width: 52" between arm rests, 56" at shoulders

Front seat length: 34" from the top of the glove box door to the seat back

Lastly, the steering wheel sits about 25" away from the brake pedal. The tilt mechanism moves the steering up and down over a range of about 1.5". Note that the distance to the brake pedal actually remains the same, it just changes the angle.

OK, those are the hard numbers

For me, I'm 6' tall, 205 lbs, 30" inseam. Front leg room was plentiful, as is head room (not even close to an issue, I could wear a hat).

Rear leg room is still not abundant, but with the front passenger seat all the way back, and reclined to a comfortable position, my knees did not touch the front seats. Before, on my 98, they would. Big time. Figure at least 2" gain or so there, maybe even more.

I compared other compact crossovers. The Jeep Patriot has a lot less rear leg room. The Forester is about even with the Rogue, i.e. enough for me to get comfortable without asking the front passenger to slide the seat forward. The CR-V, RAV4, and Santa Fe had a little extra room.

I peeked at the VW Tiguan and it had OK leg room but a tiny, tiny cargo area, so overall I'd say it is smaller than the Forester. The Infiniti EX is absolutely tiny. Way less space than a Forester. The RD-X also seemed smaller to me.

So it's not big, but now falls square in the middle of the class, and I don't think it will be called small any more.

I also took cargo measures, but that will go in the next post... ;)
    OK, now let's compare the 09 Forester with some competition. I measured cargo floor width (minimum), then length (with the rear seats in place), then height, again in inches.

Compass: so small I didn't bother to measure
    Patriot: 39 wide, 33 long, 28 high
    Rogue: 43, 37, 29
    RAV4: 42, 36, 37
    Santa Fe: 45, 41, 32
    CR-V: 42, 37, 36
    Forester: 42, 37, 32
    Outlander: 38, 38, 35
    CX7: 42, 40, 30
    Vue: 38, 37, 29
    Tiguan: it was closed, but seemed to be the tiniest of all
    Infiniti EX: also tiny, so I did not measure (no rear leg room at all, either)

The verdict?

Forester ties for 2nd widest cargo floor.

Forester ties for 4th longest cargo floor.

Even in height, the weakest link, it still came in 4th.

So good packaging means it's small outside, big inside. Plus, it's boxy. I should have measured from the back of the rear head rest to the rear window, because I bet the boxy rear end would help it stay near the top of the class in that regard, too.

Plus, by far it has the best visibility in the class. Driving the Rogue is like wearing a blind fold. The Infiniti EX is possibly worse. The CR-V also has issues there, with a big blind spot. The RAV4 has blind spots, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. The Outlander also had blind spots.

We came away liking the Forester and the Santa Fe, plus my wife also liked the RAV4. She found the CR-V to be hideous, and the Rogue was "an egg" in her words. She didn't like the Outlander/RAV4 D-pillar shape.

2009 Forester seems a likely addition to our fleet. :shades:
    Gonna come up and take one for a ride on Friday?

-mike
    Fitzgerald Subaru has one, I plan to call my dealer buddy and see if I can drive it tomorrow! It's pre-production but I've known him for years, so I'll see if he can pull some strings.
    Thanks for the details re: measurements.

Did you take any pictures?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Non_turbo Sample there seemed to have nicer headliner than the Impreza, if not quite as upscale as the Outback. Way more footroom and toespace in back seats than Outback (at expense of a little smaller space behind seats). Leather Power seat was comfortable, far more so that seats in Impreza. Most of dash fittings and other trim items appear to come from Impreza. Carpet a little thin but not as cheap as some competing models.

Am holding off any further Subie considerations until a test drive in the XT version is possible later this year.

And I keep asking myself, what's the advantage of the Outback at this point, other than a little nicer trim inside?
    So what color was on display in Portland?

I may swing by the Baltimore show (2/7 -2/10) rather than check out the one on display this coming Saturday at Annapolis Subaru, but I admit I'm antsy to see one soon even though I know I won't buy one, if I do at all, until the 2010 models are out.

I'm still thinking about a 24-month lease on an '08 LLB, which will take me close to the year-end clearance on the 2010 models. OTOH, I admit I'm not sure how I'll take to giving up the turbo on my Baja for an NA Forester (plus I'll take a hit on a trade - it's a niche vehicle). But for the inconvenience of the heavy (and water-resistant, but non-watertight) bed cover, I'd hang onto the Baja for another year or two (and still might). It's a hassle to load groceries into the Baja's back seat in tight parking lots, hence my considering a change for something with a gate (hatch). Otherwise, the Baja Turbo has been a delight to drive and has a great & comfy (leather pkg) interior. A local dealer does have an '08 XT Ltd on its lot, which I might check out as an alternative to the LLB, tho' I'm definitely not going to buy an '08.

I think the advantage of the Outback post-remodeled Forester is slim, altho' I've always liked the OB. Definitely a nicer trim, but I don't think that's enough to justify the extra price (not to mention, for me personally, it seems kind of silly for a 1-person household to drive a big wagon, even tho' I've always liked the look).
    No, sorry, no camera with me. I had to take paper, a pen, and my big tape measure, plus I had 2 kids with me.

I had offered but it seemed the people here were more interested in hard measurements rather than photos/video, and it was a bit much to do both with my small kids in tow.

If I see the one at White Flint this week I'll bring my camera.

PS I heard "I'd get this over an Outback" by a lot of people that were browsing the Forester. And there were lots of people.
    Thanks - primarily, I was interested in seeing a pic of a "Sage Green Metallic" Forester - the one on the brochure on SOA's website looks kind of blue-ish. Per Bob at post #221 above, the '09 Forester at the DC show was in SGM and looked a light metallic silvery-green. So I just was hoping to catch a glimpse. I'm guessing that the one on display at the Baltimore show in @ 2 weeks from now might be the same car, so I'll try to check it out (the convention center is just a few blocks from my office).

Unless there's another '09 Forester at White Flint, Bob already posted pics of it at post #222 above -- but I'll repeat the link:

http://www.briansellscars.com/2009forester.html

I really don't like the gray interior (esp. the steering wheel). Of course, YMMV.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Does someone have any idea how to activate a rear fog light in a 2008 Forester?

All European cars (e.g. Saab, Audi, Jaguar, Volvo, and Mercedes) in the US with exception of BMW come with integrated rear fog light/lamp. The rear fog light of Japanese cars has been purposely disabled, although the US regulations do not prevent the use of rear fog lights.
    For one thing, there is no rear fog light in there at all, it isn't disabled, it isn't there.

Second, I HATE when the european car drivers have them, mostly cause they don't know when to use them. Generally I will sit behind them with my highbeams on until they turn it off. VERY VERY annoying to other drivers when used inproperly, which most of them do, so I'm glad the Japanese cars don't have em.

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I vaugely remember exterior color being a dull greenish tint, with a light warm gray interior (roof and pillars slightly lighter shade than dash, seats and carpet.).
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

I remember reading somewhere the complaining of a BMW MINI owner when he said “until when Europe will continue thinking that Americans are a bunch of ignorant (not to say stupid)”, for not installed by default a rear fog light in each MINI vehicle in the pretexts that American do not know how to use a rear fog light. Certainly it is carelessly to use the rear fog light when the day is clear. However when the day has plenty of fogg, plenty of raining, plenty of falling snow a rear fog light is a must especially when the driver has a giant lorry behind. This is the traffic regulations given by California:

CALIFORNIA CODES
    VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 24602
    24602. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog tail lamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required tail lamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttimes visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
    On USDM Foresters those are merely reflectors, not fog lights. One would need to wire it in and replace the reflector with a light assembly. In addition you will likely need to replace the entire bumper or cut the bumper as well.

As I said, I'm glad that they aren't more widely available on USDM cars because 95% of the folks out there would/do use them all the time, and they are quite annoying to other drivers when conditions do not warrant the use of them.

-mike
    I assume that the same 2009 Forester model will be sold in Europe as well as in the US. Those rear “fog” lamps -reflectors in the US- can be easily converted to proper lights, if 2009 Forester rear “fog” lamps combination kit is ordered from Europe. These rear fogs lamps will fit neatly in the hollows after the reflectors are taken away. It is compulsory in Europe, Russia and Asia countries to have rear fog lights and I think this is the reason of these extra two lamps below the brake lights/lamps. Rear reflectors are not compulsory in the US so why to put them at the rear of the car. I believe those rear “fog” cavities are a consequence of the European regulations and carry over with the model to the US. Subaru America saves some money in this way by not putting proper rear lights assemblage.

Some cars in the US are set to light one of these lamps as a third brake light and it is generally located in the rear left of the car. In the Europe the rear left fog lamp must light while in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore (RHD) the rear right fog lamp must light. So this is the reason of having two extra cavities in the rear bumper of the car.
    I like the rear fog lamp.

On Subies it's integrated into one of the rear tail lights, and not the reflector in the lower bumper.

Check out the image of this UK-spec Impreza. The right rear tail light has an extra spot of red in the right rear tail light (on the hatch) which is the rear fog light.

http://imwww.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/subaru_co_uk.nsf/PlayMedia?ReadForm&unid=C1- 2F961E8FDCAA6F8025734B003774B6

Bob
    That's a strange asymmetry...
    Regardless of the position of the ‘fog’ light either in the tail lights or in the reflectors space, I think that all cars imported from Japan into Europe and the US and all cars exported from US to Europe have integrated harness to light a fog light. Now the question is how to do it in the 2009 Forester? Are there some ideas?

Could someone inform if the light (low/high beam) and front fog light combination in the 2009 Forester is in a stalk multi-function switch by the steering column or the front fog light is activated by using a separate toggle switch in the panel?
  • facopsfacops Member Posts: 7
    I heard a rumor that manual transmission will not be offered in the XT (turbo). Can this be true?
    Yes, true.
    For comparison purposes, here's the measurements of both the current and new generation Foresters:

2004-2008 Forester --- 2009 Forester

Knee room (from the front edge of the rear seats to the back edge of the front seat)
    7" --- 8"

Total room at knee level (from the seat back to the back edge of the front seat)
    26" --- 28"

Head rest to head rest:
    29.5" --- 32"

Rear seat width (between arm rests):
    51" --- 51"

At shoulder level:
    54" --- 56"

Front seat width (between arm rests):
    51" --- 52"

At shoulder level:
    54" --- 56"

Front seat length (from the top of the glove box door to the seat back):
    29" --- 34"

A bit dissapointing that there wasn't a bigger gain in rear legroom and it's a little odd that the distance between the armrests didn't change while the width at the shoulder level grew by 2 inches :confuse:

-Frank
    You da man, Frank, I was looking forward to those...now let's analyze them a little.

Sounds like the cushion is roughly an inch longer, and it gains about 2" in rear legroom. For me that was enough that my knees would rub the back of the seat before, but they don't now.

I bet some infant car seats also fit better without having to move the front seat forward. It's still not a limo, but that 2" gain may be the difference between "enough" and "not enough".

Also, we should factor in that the front seat length made big gains - 5" bigger if we measured the same way. So it might not be any sacrifice at all for that front passenger to slide the seat forward a couple of inches.

Plus the cargo area is a few inches longer. Sounds like they squeezed every inch out of the wheelbase gain and actually made it even a little bit more space efficient inside.

The armrests were nicely padded, so overall comfrot went up. I'm not sure if the door is thicker (crush space for protection?) or what.

Any how, basically it gets incremental improvements.

Remember that for 2000 (or was it 2003?) they claimed rear leg room was half an inch better. Now that was disappointing.

So this is not bad, IMHO.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I remember that a big deal was made of the fact that the Forester was the only (?) cute-ute that was exempt from the ugly yellow rollover warning stickers on the sunvisors, due to its lower center of gravity.

Foresters got a lot of static for being just "tall station wagons", but in my mind, that was a good thing. Now that they have gone more mainstream, with a taller stance AND more ground clearance, inquiring minds want to know:

Are there ugly warning stickers on the visors of the 2009 Foresters? :lemon:

james
    On USDM vehicle you need to have an orange reflector in the front fender facing sideways and possibly forward. In the rear you must have a red reflector on the sides and in the rear.

The bumpers in the USDM vehicles though may be entirely different than those of the JDM, UKDM, Etc. markets due to crash regulations.

Take the last generation Impreza, you could not simply swap over the JDM fog lights which were larger than the projector style ones that the USDM cars got due to the openings in the metal bumper behind the fascia was not large enough to house them. Same make be the case in the rear of the Forester.

If you feel you really need a rear fog light, they can be had on Summit Racing or Rallylights.com for less than $50

-mike
    Thanks. Still no sign of that light blue color about US options (tho' many of the pics that might be light blue are actually silver, I gather). Looking forward to seeing the green in detail.

I was thinking about leasing an '08 Forester for 2 years, but just found out that in MD, I would have to pay sales tax on the full MSRP, not just the lease payment amounts. Spread over two years (even tho' it might have to be paid at registration, I haven't figured that out, that would increase the monthly payment by almost 20-25% - rather than 6% of the payment (MD sales tax) - a penalty unacceptable to me. So much for that idea - I guess I'll hang on to my Baja until the '10 Foresters are available (I don't want to buy an '09).