Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    Redrose1, weren't you asking basically this same question back in early June? I'll answer it the same way I did then--forget the RDX unless you're a midget with your own kidney pads. Rides like the shocks are missing, very cramped seating for everyone but the driver, sucks gas like a cabin cruiser. I really wanted one--before I drove it.

After owning the Forester XT Ltd. since May, I have absolutely no regrets--every bit as quick as the Acura, vastly superior ride quality (not even in the same city, much less ballpark), better mileage (averaging 21.3 city/hwy mix since new), and significantly more interior room. The only thing it's missing is the upscale nameplate--and if that matters to you enough on its own to dismiss Subaru (like that ignorant snob on the RDX forum who said "Subaru simply doesn't warrant my attention"--ooh, sorry King Nose-in-the-Air), then just go buy something at a dealer with the most wood in the showroom. You must have some reservations about the RDX if you haven't bought one yet after all this time.

Venza will be larger than RDX/Forester, but looks nice.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    yes - that is me - our lease on our 2005 Outback is up in Dec - so it is decision time!

I have some reservations about the Forester because I was wondering what our outback has (3.0 model) that the Forester won't(xt model), and someone was kind enough to explain the differences earlier. We love the outback in our snowy climate but find the seats uncomfortable on long trips. We are not snobs and do not care about brands - we are all about safety and reliability.

I think we will wait to see the venza and then decide between the forester and the venza.

We truly appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Happy to hear you love your Forester - what's your opinion of the seat comfort?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I use them as a pricing guide, because I like the way they lay out the pricing info (retail and invoice).

But I don't get their reviews, either. When the Forester first came out it had a "Recommended" rating from them, but a few model years later then simply lowered their score without explaining why. I didn't make much sense because it wasn't even a face-lift or redesign, they just changed the scores.

My guess is the cramped back seat is still referring to the 08 model, so maybe they have not seen an 09 yet.
  • crashdavisfmcrashdavisfm Member Posts: 22
    Your dogs are so adorable. I see that you live in Tampa. Can I ask where you got them. Our Aussie, Mimosa, which we had for almost 9 years, passed on two days ago. I'm thinking of getting a puppy.

Hey! Thanks! They are pretty cute, but not necessarily the best dog for the average person. All three come from herding lines (all from different breeders) and are alot of dog -- high drive, high energy, and very quirky -- they make great performance dogs, but are not suitable for most pet owners.

aj
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    For me the seats are perfectly fine (keeping in mind that we're talking leather with the power adjustment), but everybody's body is different--remember the putz in the reviews section who bought a Forester then determined the seats were so uncomfortable for him he was having custom seats installed. I do agree that the passenger seat is lower than the driver's, but then I'm 6'4" so it doesn't matter to me. Adjustable lumbar support would be nice, but I don't miss it.

See where I'm going with this? Spend some time in the car before you buy it--try to get a half day test drive (both Honda and Acura let me do that).
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    For those looking, be sure to try out '09's with both the regular, and power seat.
    At around 180 lbs, I found Drivers' manual seat OK for short trips but it lacks lumbar support adjustments and has less padding than the new Power seat.

You can get power seat in the X-Limited (formerly X-LLBEAN) and XT-Limited. I believe it's the same seat.

As for limited space in '09 Forester's back seat per Consumer Research: There's more space in the Forester's rear seat than in the Outback, way more than the '08 Forester, and compares pretty well to the huge amount of space in the Malibu Maxx's rear seat!
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I was confused by your post, but then figured it out. Assuming that there are others as slow as myself it should be pointed out that the passenger lacks lumbar support, but the driver's seat has it.
    Plus what the leg room numbers can't tell you. The 09 Forester allows you to put your feet comfortably under the seats in front, which makes for a much more comfortable seating position. Much better than the Rav4 or the new Jetta for example, or the Outback for that matter. Can't remember for sure now how the CR-V was, but I don't remember being impressed there either.
    I remember '08 CR-V was pretty decent in back, and has far more footroom in front thanks to thinner transmission tunnel. Also Nicer interior than Forester.

But... CR-V was a slug during my test drive (5-speed trans was not helpful), and seeing the AWD CR-V tested on Catalina island promptly getting stuck on hills the Forester charged up ended my CR-V consideration.
    I didn't like the CR-V's door handles, all that pluminum, but the rest of the interior is nice.

For us, though, it was the visibility that ruled it out.
    Not to "tire" anyone out, but here's some info from an extended drive on the new Nokian WRG2's, compared to the Stock Yoko Geolanders:

On worn asphalt (we have lots in Oregon), the Geolanders were just loud. The WRG2's are "dual pitched" (low growl and higher range singing); overall are a little quieter. Ride's about the same with possibly less harshness on small bumps (I think Nokian tread is more flexible).

MPG figures are in early days, but At 60 - 65 mph, Nokian MPG on the freeway topped 29 (first time the MPG's been that high) - it was averaging around 28. The Geolanders best were around 27.

Driving feel: Forester used to feel as if it was on top of the road (.vs. Outback, which felt "on" the road). Now feels as if Forester's on its toes while on the road: Tracking on freeways was fine, definitely more sensitive to steering wheel input.
    I've not tried any extreme manuevers yet (don't really want to, especially while tires are "breaking in").

WRG2's are expensive but definitely improve feel of the Forester. Their performance in winter remains to be seen.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Thx for your input Frank.

I'm inclined to agree with you.
    http://www.motortrend.com/index.html

Demand was already strong, so this surely won't hurt.

Though this award doesn't carry, IMHO, as much merit as some do, it is probably the most marketable award in the industry (aside from COTY).
    They seemed particuarly surprised by the 4 speed auto the journalists have been bashing for months.
    A theme, highlighted by this phrase, kept coming up in the article:

"VW easily trumps the Subaru for visual pizzazz, though the Forester works better," comments St. Antoine. In other words, quiet, comprehensive competence."

A compact SUV designed by engineers instead of stylists? :surprise:
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Subaru took a page out of Honda's playbook.

Honda vehicles have long been known for not being the best in every catagory—but in being very good in every category, with no major flaws. They make very good and very well rounded cars. Subaru did the same here with the new Forester; it's not the best at everything, but it's very good in everything, and without any major flaws.

Bob
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2009 Subaru Forester. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I have the Premium MT and there is no lumbar support on the drivers seat nor the passenger seat.

Perhaps it is just the Limited model which has the lumbar support on the drivers seat???
    It's hard to keep track of what everyone has. Yes the limiteds have 10 way power seats which include lumbar according to the spec sheet. (I couldn't remember for certain from the one time I actually got into the Limited.) Given that they are coming from a 3.0 Outback, I was assuming they were going to buy a Limited so the driver would get lumbar adjust.
    Have any Forester owners here experienced their front door interiors "buzzing" in cooler temperatures?

Around 55 to 62 or so, my doors will buzz as the engine idles. Opening and closing the door may reduce it. Pushing armrest away or pulling armrest towards vehicle center will make buzzing stop.

My guess is interior door plastics change shape with temperature and contact the metal frame under the door at certain temperatures.
    While at the dealer recently, I happened to notice that the GM type material that is located near the rear wheel wells is much larger on the newer Foresters.

So, I took a look at my car in the area and found it has a bunch of paint chips on both sides where the GM material isn't on my car. ie, if I had had the bigger piece of Gm material on my car I probably wouldn't have any paint chips in those areas.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has there been a tech sheet put out on this?

This appears to be the 3rd paint chipping issue that has affect my vehicle. I tried to bring the other two paint issues (I had found at least one of the tech sheets.) to the attention of my close dealer, with no results. But per Bob and Juice's recommendations, next time, I'm driving to the further dealer, I'll add this to my list.

BTW, when I was traveling recently, l stopped in to the dealer I bought the car from and their service department was top notch from what I saw. They were ready to take the time to answer all questions, and one of the guys gave me his card to be able to call him any time with additional questions. I wish they were closer...but, I do feel anytime I am in that area, I will plan to have some work done. (If needed, ;))
    Kurt,
    Don't know if this will help at all, as your source may be different. But, I have had a sound similar to what you describe, however, I found it was because the mirrors hadn't been put back all the way to their proper position after cleaning the front side windows. (They looked like they were in place, but were just a bit off.)

I'm guessing that the temperature changes were are talking about this time of year shouldn't affect the plastics drastically enough to change their shape. However, when I asked Subaru about what type of plastic it was so I could select a cleaner, they wouldn't tell me. So, can't be sure on that...
  • imm19imm19 Member Posts: 12
    "...GM type of material..."??? Do you mean 3M ? My previous 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara had some of this under the doors and in front of the rear wheel wells. It helps a lot to prevent chipping. Look here:
    http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
    http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_0401_clear_bra/index.html
  • sflorasflora Member Posts: 35
    Yes, my 2009 front passenger door started making this noise once the temperature started getting into the 50's - I bought this past July and only started noticing it in the last month or so. Buzzes during cold idle, driving on rough road or while playing bass-heavy music. Buzz stops while pulling on door handle. I read elsewhere that a broken retainer clip in the door can be an issue, but this might cause more of a loud rattle. I'll have the door checked at my next service.
  • ncgirl3ncgirl3 Member Posts: 1
    hi i was wondering if you guys could help make a decision maybe a little easier for me.

i have an '05 forester now, but when the new '09 came out i was in love. so i ordered a premium package sage green one with the ipod interface kit and remote engine starter...and it won't be in until a little before thanksgiving (my dealer said the car is in high demand...i ordered it in early september) so i've had time to hmm and ahh over it, because when i test drove the forester i decided what the heck and test drive the legacy. and i was so surprised at how much i liked the legacy, i didn't think id like going back to a sedan, but it had such a nice ride and is a really nice car. so after just thinking about it i decided to check reviews on both cars and on the '09 foresters i keep reading about different rattles and noises... just wondering how many have experienced that and if it's usually only on bumpy or dirt roads?? and also would you go with the forester or legacy?

thanks for your help!

oh and how comfatorable are the seats in the forester with out the lumbar support? in my '05 i always have the lumbar support all the way...thanks again
    My '09 does rattle going over major bumps (stuff in the rear or possibly rear seats), the doors buzz at some temperatures, and there _was_ a very annoying squeak in the headliner that I had to silicone spray inside the upper light compartment to get rid of. But otherwise it's reasonably quiet on normal roads.
    I'm picky on rattles - virtually every car I've owned rattled in one way or another.

But:
    I ran into rattles when test driving 4 new '08 Outbacks.
    Outback/Legacys also have more play in their drivelines so you will get more "clunks" when driving at low speeds (all the Outbacks I drove clunked).

If possible check out the Consumers Union video on the Legacy. They show it loosing control in an emergency move (my guess is its LSD in back; these can cause handling issues). The Forester has no problem there.
    Oops! Yes, I definitely meant 3M material... It was on the car originally in this spot...needs a larger piece, as Subaru has found out as they are putting a larger piece there now. I'm thinking they may repaint and then put the bigger piece of 3M material on our "older" 09 Foresters under warranty???:confuse:
  • cyrus1000cyrus1000 Member Posts: 12
    I have noticed the 3M or whatever protective film it is in front of the rear wheel arches of my 2009 Forester. It is rather displeasing to the eye. They have not used the best material, and there is a white line around the perimeter of the film which comes from waxing the vehicle. I did some research on clear bras because my other cars all have unsightly chips and dings on the front bumper and the hood. I found out that a lot of the high-end sports cars these days use various clear bras. So right after purchasing my Forester I headed to a shop to have one of them installed. If you decide to get one, make sure you do your research and go to a reputable shop. I have seen several botched jobs at lower prices. I saw an Austin Martin and a classic Chevy getting front end clear bras in the shop I took my Forester too, so it was reassuring.

In my search, the newer VentureShield film was recommended over 3M by most of the shops. It’s thinner, more glossy and you get a lifetime warranty. Mine cost around $600. The film is virtually invisible and covers the entire front bumper, part of the hood and front wheel arches and side mirrors. The lighter the exterior paint the less visible the shield. You have to be careful not to use regular car wax on the film though, as over time it leads to yellowing of the film. I keep my cars 6-7 years, so I thought this was a good investment, especially since I’ll be driving this Forester on mountain roads during ski season with snow, salt, and rocks all over the road.
    One reason I chose not to do this was apparently the film will affect the fading of the paint to where, if film is removed in future, the paint under the film will end up looking different than the paint outside the film.

I'd also be careful about using any akaline cleaners on the film such as Ammonia as those often cloud and fog plastic.

But if I were in a rocky area or had to drive gravel roads, the film sounds like a good bet.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Kurt -
    Left a post for you in the "tires, tires, tires" forum regarding the WRG2s. I'll likely be heading down to OR to pick up a set. Thanks!
    - Jeff
    No worries, jeffmc. I posted there.
    In short those WRG2's have made the XT much nicer and improved MPG. As for the Geolanders , :P
    I said that if it took to long for the Forester I wanted to become available that I might be tempted by the dark side and now it's happened. All this talk about the new WRX got my attention and I am now back on the fence as to what my next vehicle will be. Fuel economy difference is minimal relative to the Forester ( although there is the premium for premium) and by Canadian testing the 265hp version actually gets better mileage than my old 2.0L. Again the Impreza has slightly less rear foot and leg room than the Forester, but the rear hump seat in the Forester got a failing grade especially with the leather seats, whereas the middle Impreza seat is actally more comfortable....Decisions, decisions!!
    Anyone know if there is an aftermarket hitch which will fit the Impreza redesign without drilling. Unfortunately, Subie no longer offers one, and it is my preferred bike carrier.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    My wife's 09 also has some paint chipping issues above the protective strip near the rear wheel-wells, and on the lower tailgate. The service manager knew nothing about paint chipping or additional protective strip until I told him about the TSB. But the TSB only applied to earlier Foresters than my wife's. Subaru paint seems quite fragile.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Kurtamax, what kind of difference in mpg's are you seeing with the new tires, is it significant or slight, thanks?
    1 to 2 mpg so far ; about 5 - 10% improvement around town (would be less on the highway). Main reason for WRG2's was to deal with icy roads heading our way this winter, but pleasantly surprised they're superoir to Geolanders in other ways.
    It could well be the tires, but part of the improvement might be break-in.
    I do remember somewhere seeing a graph of tires with the best rolling resistance and hence best fuel economy so they certainly can make a difference. There is no doubt that the big knobby designs that came on many SUVs were more for show and didn't help in the fuel consumption numbers.
    Yes, I have heard Subies loosen up and get better MPG as they break in. I had seen around a 1 MPG increase from new to 3000 K miles or so.
    My tire comparison came from a test on the hills with Geos around 3000 miles, and the Nokians at 4800 miles.
    Best ground clearance, best residual values, best visibility, best space utilization, best AWD fuel economy, best range per tankful...

I can think of a few bests. :shades:
    Forester gets compared to other Subies all the time, but we owned a 98 Forester and an 02 Legacy, and ended up being much happier with the Forester.

Funny thing is the Legacy was my wife's, guess what she's driving now?

An 09 Forester.

Get the Forester. You sit higher, see better, the turning circle is tighter, it's easier to park, takes less space, and is just generally more rewarding to own.

It wasn't even close. I wanted to keep our Forester, even though it was 4 years older than our Legacy.

volkov: I take it you drove an 09 WRX? If you're sure that offers enough space for you...I think the Forester is right-sized, i.e. not too small, but not too big either.
    I asked Subaru about using the small "power point" rechargers (little batteries that plug into cigarette / power points and send power back to vehicle battery over vehicle internal wiring) with '09 Forester. Their response:

Subaru of America does not recommend any of these battery boosters, as we have not tested and approved them for our vehicles.

They go on to say that if you use one and it damages the vehicle (burns wires, zaps computer, etc.), your warranty won't cover fixing the damage.

Beware ! :surprise:
    Juice, no I haven't driven one, but I have dibs on driving the one sitting at port for my dealer. We compared the rear seating of the 09 Impreza though because it is the same across all models, and the kids had no complaints. The middle hump in the centre rear of the F Limited did receive complaints. Anyone with kids knows there will be a neverending argument over whose turn it is to sit in the middleOf course there is no contest in the sense of interior space between the two vehicles and 4" more rear legroom in the Forester. I can fit in the back of the Impreza when the drivers seat is set to my driving position so the kids will fit for a while yet and the new redesign does have more space than we have currently in the 04. Impreza actually has more hip room but less shoulder room.
    Nothing is decided yet, but I'll just have to promise myself not to sign on for the WRX the same day I drive it. The other irony now, is that we have a second dog. Where I used to drive the 3 boys and our dog to go riding or hiking, I can no longer fit all 5 passengers so I end up taking the Yukon XL in those situations. Even the Forester doesn't have the cargo room for both dogs to move freely. The dumb thing is that the availability of a rear hitch has a greater impact. I don't like roof carriers, and often take off by myself or with the dogs (they do both fit with the rear seats down) so lack of a bike carrier would be a negative.
    I have paint issues on the hatch as well, but is sounds like higher up than yours, below the window. When did you get your Forester? I didn't know the TSB on the hatch had a vehicle mfg date associated with it. At least the one I saw didn't... Do you happen to know the cut off date?

Totally agree on the fragile paint. Lots of chips all over. My old subie (22 years) would have had less chipping than this one will have in less than a year at the rate it it falling off the car... :sick:

I'm hoping they will decide they will have to do something about it, all told.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    The TSB I'm aware of is only for the rear wheel-wells. My wife purchased her car in early August. The service manager told me the TSB is based on early VIN numbers.
    We've been driving ours around a lot and averaging over 27mpg even with city driving mixed in. This weekend my wife drove it to MD's Eastern Shore to pick me up from a work retreat. We then went to Ocean City, then back home. Monday it went to Olney and Tuesday it took us around Gaithersburg.

I saw 30+ mpg at times but the average settled down to a little over 27 or so.

We love the range this thing has - with 16.9 gallons we could go more than 450 miles. :shades:
    I have the TSB for the rear hatch at my computer at home...I'll copy here later...

Do you have the # of the TSB for the rear wheel wells? I got my car in June, so mine may be covered???

Thanks.
  • smudgejetsmudgejet Member Posts: 11
    After 3000K, my manual Forester has been showing around 27 mpg. It really is getting more like 25 mpg based on miles and gallons to refill.

That is still ~ 2 mpg or about 8% better than my 2005 Escape, though that was an automatic.
  • board_jayboard_jay Member Posts: 22
    So I went looking for a winter blade for the rear wiper and can't find one. It has a funky design where the center of the blade "notches" into a 'pin' on the arm. Didn't see one on the Subaru site either. Anyone know where I can get one? The plastic will surely freeze in a New England winter and at the best the wiper will smear and not do much and at the worst, will break when water freezes in between the plastic moving parts of the rear wiper. Thanks for any pointers.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Thanks for your posting. I also live in the North East and have been winterizing the house and preparing for winter. This is my first Forester. I like it very much and am getting 20-32 MPH @ 60mph on a regular basis. It has also been great in the mud and heavy rains. The one thing that I did not think about was the rear blade. I also would like to change it and fully understand your concerns. I am sorry that I can not give you info, however I know that one of our wonderful forum readers will give so info if it is available.
    Interesting article, though again a review savages the 09's XT's 4AT (auto trans):

The close-ratio four-speed [AT], however, is crude, unpredictable, and robs the turbo'd engine of a great deal of power

Car and Driver on the '09's XT's 4AT:

In truth, though, the [AT] ratios are nicely spaced, kickdowns are rapid and smooth, and you mostly notice the lack of fifth only at 80 mph and beyond

So does this mean the 4AT from XT to XT, or the 4AT's reviewers, are wildly variable ? Or driving a preproduction mule (C&D often tests these) .vs. production vehicle ?

However, I have noticed, like the review, that the XT's rear end does like to hop over big bumps (though Nokian tires have smoothed that out a bit)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Keep in mind that Four Wheeler is an off road-oriented publication, and their articles are mainly focused on that aspect.

Bob