Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Given '09 Forester XT is almost 9 inches off the ground, it handles well. It only leans if you push it really hard (like Edmunds or enthusiasts are prone to do ;) ) . '08 Outback XT leaned a lot by comparison, which was on a twisty hillside road.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey all:

Just picked up my white 09 Forester 2.5X w/ Premium Pkg !!!!

Two words: LOVE IT !!!

I traded in a 05 CR-V LX FWD for this. My gosh, how much I HATED driving around in that Honda. I previously had a 05 Forester that we had to trade away in order to make the payments for the family mini-van more reasonable (like Juice, I chose the Sienna btw). So I sorta inherited my wife's CR-V. What a sloppy handling wheel spinning piece of garbage that thing was. Mind you, I did apprecaite the 5spd tranny, and the AC was very powerful, but the actual driving experience of that car was absolutely miserable. If the road had any hint of moisture, those front wheels would spin out if you had to goose the pedal. Going from a dead stop into a turn and need to give it gas? *picture yourself stopped at a intersection with oncoming traffic moving in on you at 50mph, and you have to turn into it* Better give yourself plenty of time or start praying. And forget about ice or snow. We had a big ice storm a few years ago when I had both the V and the Forester. My Subie went right up the iced driveway no problems and parked her right in the garage. The Honda? Had to leave that at the bottom of the driveway and pray the plows didn't hit it. I couldn't even get it to drive up the grass.

Now, my 09? Handles like a dream. QUIET compared to both the Honda and the 05 Forester I gave up. Took it to work in the rain today. The road might as well have been bone dry - didn't have the hangups mentioned above. Just hit the gas and let the car do its thing. It never hesitated, complained, or made me feel unsafe. I SO missed my 05 this 09 is like a dream come true for me again.

Only negative I can find so far, I think they cheapened up the inside a smidge. The plastics and seat felt more substantial in my 05. Not that the materials feel CHEAP CHEAP, but they are just not what the older model had in it. However, I do like the dash much more then the old one. I'm jazzed about the sport shift. I think the vehicle LOOKS better by far then the old one. And I notice more available torque all over the band. So I'll take slightly cheaper interior for all the other positves.

First time buying a 1st model year car - I hope it doesn't bite me on the backside !!!

Jopopsy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sweet! Congrats!

So our driveways look identical (Forester & Sienna). They make quite a team. The Sienna can haul anything, and the Forester can go anywhere.

Glad to hear you like it so much more than the CR-V you traded. To be fair, the new CR-V is more refined as well.
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    Drove the XT Ltd. to the Notre Dame-Pitt game last Saturday from the Chicago area, and again was impressed by the roominess, ride quality and overall pleasant nature of the car. Went with another couple and all necessary tailgating items (2 coolers, 4 bag chairs, a grill, multiple coat options, food bags, etc.), and was still able to pull the cargo area cover closed. Everybody was comfortable, which was amazing since I'm 6'4", the other guy is 6'9" (so the low passenger seat height was an asset) and both of the wives are over 5'9". The turning radius was a big plus in the crowded parking lot, and several other tailgaters stoped to ask about the car and how I liked it--they were impressed that my tall friend fit into it, no problem.
    Congrats and hope X works well for you! It seems all recalls for '09 have been aimed at XT (mine's dodged bullets so far) so you should be fine.

My drive in '08 CR-V suggested it had nicer interior and more driver foot room, but little power and less compliant ride. Handling seemed ok though it was rainy night and I was being very careful.

I've tried hard acceleration several times on wet roads in the XT and there's hardly any wheelspin - the car just goes! That's a huge difference from the Saturn ION, Malibu Maxx and other 2-wheel drive cars I've driven/seen which all spin wheels if you try to quickly get going in rain.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    I am interested in knowing how people feel about the comfort of the seats in an XT 2009 Forester(leather seats).

Do you find them supportive enough for long trips? How do they compare to the 2005 Outback(leather seats)?

Thanks so much.
    This is not exact answer, but I drove two '08 Outback XT's with leather seats and felt discomfort in both after about 20 minutes of driving, mostly from the seat bottom.
    It was no match for my former Malibu Maxx LS, for which I could easily drive 2 hours before needing a short rest stop.

However, The '09 Forester XT I drive worked fine for a 300 mile trip. No discomfort after an hour or so at the wheel, though the seat cushions are a little short. Lumbar support proved better than the Maxx.
    XT will get another shot at a long trip in about 2 weeks.
    I'm happy with them.

I do wish the passenger seat were an inch or two higher (a common complaint), but the seats themselves are just right, especially with perforated leather and heat combined.

I may try to find a way to modify the seat track and raise it an inch or so.
  • amiller1amiller1 Member Posts: 13
    I am thinking about trading my 2002 Toyota Highlander 4cyl AWD for a 2009 Forester. I have had no problem with my Toyota it now has 105,000 miles but think this would be a good time. Everything I read about the Subaru's makes me wonder if I would regret this. I am concerned about the engine issue's in the past, and head gasket problem. I did test drive the Forester and really liked it! My other option is to wait for the Toyota Venza. Help! what do you think
    If you are used to larger vehicle then you might want to wait for Venza, which is more like Camry-based SUV and much bigger than Forester.

Subaru supposedly addressed the engine gasket issues around 2003.
  • fschoefflerfschoeffler Member Posts: 7
    For my new 2009 Forester X w/premium, I separately bought a side cargo net from the parts department. The instructions tell you to drill holes where you find indicator spots (dimpled non-textured areas) on the side plastic. Using a magnifying glass I could not find any dimpled spots to drill. For now I just lay the net on the floor attached to the already installed bottom hooks, but there must be a proper solution.

Has anyone else self-installed the cargo nets on a 2009?

Do you just randomly drill holes in the general location of the net perimeter to screw in the anchors?
    Here on Edmunds we did observe lots of head gasket failures but nearly all of them were pre-2002 or so.

They went to a revised gasket material during the 2002 model year, as a running change.

The last generation Forester came out for MY2003 and did not show that pattern of problems, so I believe that issue is well behind them now - a whole generation later.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Everything I read about the Subaru's makes me wonder if I would regret this.

What exactly have you read and when was it written? As has been pointed out, the head gasket issue was addressed 6 years ago and that's the only "engine issue" that I'm aware of. I haven't seen much in the way of complaints since then.

-Frank
    Kurt- Remeber that just like the Forester, the Highlander has grown in size over the years. I'd have to check but the 09 Forester is probably fairly close in size to the 02 Highlander.

-Frank
    From how stuff works.com: some Specs for the 2002 Toyota Highlander:

Wheelbase, in. 106.9
    Overall Length, in. 184.4
    Overall Width, in. 71.9
    Overall Height, in. 66.1
    Curb Weight, lbs. 3715
    Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 81.4
    Highlander's 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine produced 155 horsepower, while the 3.0 liter V6 generated 220 hp

Yes, pretty close to the '09 Forester (Highlander has more cargo space), and smaller than the current Outback.
    I need help about buying a Forester. I have never owned a Subaru and looking for some feedback on the pro's and con's. Is it as great as they say driving in the snow?? Are they as reliable as Consumer Reports indicate?? Do they have more or less problems than other similar SUV's ??? Wagons?? Maybe I am looking too much into this, its just with prices the way they are and I tend to keep my vehicles on a average of 7yrs I want to know as much as I can. So please whatever feedback would be very very appreciated.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    We currently have 2 Foresters and since 2001 have had 5. These all have been the most reliable and trouble-free vehicles we have owned, and since we have each been driving more than 40 years have owned a lot of vehicles. My wife's first Forester (2001) is still in the family and has continued to be without any issues. My brother has a Forester (2008) as does one of my wife's cousins (2002) , and her other cousin has a Legacy. None of us have had any real problems, and have come to expect that excellent value and service from Subaru.

We live in New England and have never had more competent vehicles for our Winters. We have a long driveway, about 100 ft., that rises to the street. Before our Subarus we had a hard time getting out to the street if there was more than a few inches of show. Now, we just drive right out to the street with no fanfare, even with 8" to 10". The AWD coupled with very good ground clearance makes for an excellent combination. I also have a 4WD truck (Tundra) and it sits most of the Winter. If there were 15" of snow I would take the truck but outside of that the Forester gets the call. The Forester is especially good with changing road conditions, snow, bear, then ice. It just takes it all in stride. No white-knuckle concerns.

My wife currently has a 2005 and she will be up next for a new vehicle. She will not consider anything other than another Forester. She has been very critical of every vehicle she has owned but never has complained about her Foresters. That tells me a lot about the overall value and performance, especially since she is a bean-counter and things tend to be only black or white.

I hope some of this is helpful, and good luck with your decision.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I own a 2005 Outback six cylinder which is giving me superb service. But if I were buying today, I would choose the Forester which is shorter for parking yet has more interior room than my Outback...and also gets better fuel economy. The Forester also has about a 2" higher seating position for a better view of the road ahead. I believe the rear hatch opening is also higher which would have made loading my new snow blower easier. :)
    Well there's a ton of info on these forums.

Briefly recapping, you get more cargo room, nicer trim, better sound system, and a Limited slip Diff in the '08 Outback. You get better fuel economy, responsiveness, at-limit handling, rear seat room, ease of entry/exit, and tighter turning radius in the '09 Forester.

Wrt reliability, I've owned many first year cars and the '09 Forester, though it has glitches (some rattles, a few recalls for early production XTs), has proven far better than others (Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Chevrolet).

If you go by Consumers Union, Subaru is not the best in reliability, but that appears due to pre-'03 models having some serious engine glitches. Their ratings suggest you'll get 5-6 years out of a Subaru before serious problems arise.
    I expect to keep mine for 4-6 years.
    thanks so much for your feedback, and yes it has helped!! I will let you know what I decide as it is a difficult decision, well for me it is. I do like the 2009 Forester and would love to try a Subaru. thanks again for the information believe me it has helped.
    No worries, though I made one mistake...the better sound system applies to the '09 Outback which claims to use Harmon Kardon components. The '08's are not as good in that area.
  • fschoefflerfschoeffler Member Posts: 7
    I found the answer (with pictures) to my problem on another site:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/09-forester-side-cargo-net-how-inst- all-40353/
  • mec77mec77 Member Posts: 2
    Do I need to use premium fuel or can I use regular 87? Are there down sides to the engine?
    Subaru requires 91 octane for the turbo, except in an emergency situation where for a short time (1 tank or less?) you can use 89 or 87. You will get less power from those as the engine will retard spark to avoid detonation. Use low octane for very long and you will either get a CHECK ENGINE warning (requires a trip to dealer to reset), or your engine will possibly overheat.

You also must change the engine oil every 3750 miles. If you do not, Subaru will invalidate your engine warranty (their warning to me was ALL CAPS).

If possible you should drive both X and XT and see if the X's aspired engine has enough power for your needs.
  • mec77mec77 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. Unfortunately after asking the salesman what gas it uses, and being told several times regular I filled the tank for the first time, with 87, then saw the premium only on the inside of the tank door. I bought used with low miles, no owners manual, though I have requested and received a 2005. Lots of help.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    If you activate my.subaru.com with your VIN number you can get the PDF version of your owner's manual from there.
  • samirataustinsamirataustin Member Posts: 17
    Has anybody installed an overhead entertainment system with built in DVD on their 2009 Forester? Saw some units online with both FM and IR transmitter. So theoretically they should only need 12V power and the door switch connection (for the built in dome light). Both should be available at the dome light on the Forester. BTW I don't have a moon- roof.

I plan to take out the dome light and investigate, wanted to see if somebody has already gone down this path.

Thanks!
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey Gang,

Debating getting the Satellite radio thing going in my new Forester. Dealer price for the Subaru branded unit is north of 300 beans (not sure about installation).

Has anybody tried a aftermarket unit that works w/ the stock Subaru head (no NAV)? Ideally I'd like something I can take in and out of the car so I can use it in more places, but I'm not sure you can buy something like that (at least, not with the head integration).

Anybody tackle this yet? I did a search but did not find much.

Thanks,
    Jopopsy
  • fanaticalfanatical Member Posts: 3
    Just turned 10k on the Forester LL Bean, no issues at all. Most of my daily driving is suburban roads, work, day care runs, shopping etc. The mileage has been consistent at 26.4 mpg which I'm pleased with. Changed the oil three times and rotated the tires. Oil changes are a breeze at home, just watch the little metal flat washer that is on the drain plug, you don't want to forget to reinstall it. Ride is smooth and I'm looking forward to trying the AWD in the snow. Love those heated seats/mirrors for the recent chilly mornings here in the Northeast. Very happy with this puchase! :)
    it this your first Forester or Subaru?? I have been looking for a new vehicle and drove the Forester and CRV. I really liked the Forester but had a few concerns. But after reading that most of the issues the Forester had were in the past 2002-2006. So good luck with yours.
    most of the issues the Forester had were in the past 2002-2006

Actually the Forester has only experienced two significant issues (head gaskets & wheel bearings) and then only from its introduction in 1998 to 2002. The 2003 redesign addressed both those issues and since then there have been no major mechanically issues.

-Frank
    ...and noticed these differences wrt the XT:

1. Seat tilts as it lifts, which gives very little support to thighs unless you are willing to put seat way back, which means your arms are straight.
    2. Steering columm only tilts, which makes it harder to get comfortable,
    3. Engine is more responsive off the line than the XT is (I think the rear gear ration is different), but runs out of steam quickly. I'd be uncomfortable trying to pass anyone in this car.
    4. X leans more in turns than the XT does.

Also noticed the small bump harshness again (that went away in the XT once I replaced the Geolander tires with Nokians.).

No rattles, though.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    I swear those interior rattles wait until about 5-7 days after you drive the car off the lot. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    They found my front door rattles and fixed them today; added foam insulation to several parts of the doors' inner frames and checked it out with drive and manually tapping doors.
    They also asked if next time they could replace my license plate surrounds with _their_ dealership's surrounds (guess they need the advertising ?? ;) )

Unfortunately they left some small scratches in the interior door frame (and apparently the touch-up peral white for the exterior doesn't work on the white inside of the doors - it comes off a different color).

I also noticed the same little creaks I occasionally hear in the XT also showing up in the X. They seem to be dash related.
    Also noted that X had a problem with its fuel gauge; a full tank only made it read 7/8th full.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Steering columm only tilts, which makes it harder to get comfortable

There's another one of those things that make little sense: the Foresters in Canada get tilt/telescope at every trim. I note from the US specs that not even X Limiteds get it.

Engine is more responsive off the line than the XT

Big part of that is the base compression ratio is lower for the turbo. Less oomph off the line inevitably follows until the turbo spools. It's not the gear ratios as they are the same until 4th according to Cars 101.

I'm assuming you had a lower trim level, as the power seat on the X Limited is identical to the XT L. That would probably account for the handling difference too, namely 16" tires on the X versus your lower profile 17"s. Suspension is identical for all trim levels, so tires are the only potential source of that difference. IF you'd driven the X Limited, it should have erased half of the differences.
    I goofed... :surprise:
    What I was driving as loaner was an X-Premium. It had moonroof and reclining rear seats, but no power seat. The X-P's tires, Yoko Geolanders, appeared similar to what I used to have on my XT-L.

The X-P's acceleration felt linear. Not the XT-L, which got busy once the revs got into the low 2K's. Neither one, though, gave any noticeable tire spin when accelerating on our currently wet roads.
    Tell me what you like or dislike about your 2009 Forester??? Is this your first Subaru? What is your past experience with your Subaru??
    There are a lot of Forester comments back around message #400 (that's where folks, including me, started actually buying and driving '09 Foresters).
    Some of the reviews are pretty detailed, and somewhere back there I've compared the '09 Forester to the '08 Outback XT, which I test drove at least 4 times and sorta liked, but became also-ran after 2 test drives in the '09 Forester XT.
    Excellent point Kurt. A quick skim thru the preceding 2,600 posts will provide a wealth of info about the 09 Forester :)

-Frank
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Well, compared to what I considered its competition, namely the Rav4 and CR-V I felt the Forester won hands down after drive character, features, safety, fuel economy and overall feel were weighed in. In the end, I traded my 04 WRX for a 09 WRX because it had a cheaper lease than the Forester (despite a higher MSRP) and offered a fun factor very few cars can deliver, and for the $$ unparalleled in a vehicle which still excells in the snow or on gravel roads. In case you don't know, the WRX is a Subaru also. If it had been a simple cash purchase, I'd be driving a Forester right now. In almost 5 years of service, the only issue I ever had with my old car was the odd squeak or rattle which is pretty much standard in Canadian winters. Subarus are recognized as reliable vehicles, but in the end, drive one. For some of us, they offer a feeling of connection and control that most other brands don't.
  • prndldriverprndldriver Member Posts: 21
    I agree that there's lots of great info here about what people like and don't like about their Forester. I also love reading the reviews, in a different section on Edmunds. Thanks to all the posters!

That said, I like the 09 Forester better than I thought I would. It's not as snazzy looking as perhaps the CR-V or the Outlander. But it is much more fun and easier to drive. I like the AWD much better than I had anticipated. I like wide expanse of the windows, the way the tires stick to the pavement while driving in the rain, the back seat configuration, the big 'trunk' area space, the way the interior lights go on when you close the passenger doors.

For awhile, I thought the lower front passenger seat was weird, but now we've adjusted all the seats in front. The stereo could be much better.

I had the Forester next to a CR-V in a parking lots recently and was surprised to compare that the Forester had much more 'trunk' area. I brought home an 8 ft ladder recently and had no problems fitting it in. :shades:

I keep wishing that General Motors had built a car like this with safety features, decent gas mileage, $10,000 cheaper than the Arcadia, and all the other 09 Forester features.
  • mgagnemgagne Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I would like to know how did you proceed to ajust the front passenger seat, With the Dealer?

Yes, 2009 Subaru Forester is a very good car, I live in Quebec Canada and with the snow that we have here, it is a must. My wife has also a 2004 Subaru Impreza.

Have a nice day,

Excuse my english!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    For some of us, they offer a feeling of connection and control that most other brands don't.

Well stated; I could not agree more. I mentioned to my wife that I am interested in a WRX or XT come our next Subaru go-round, but she just looked at me. You know, that look. I'm not sure it will happen.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Through October, overall U.S. auto sales are down nearly 15% compared with last year, and just one major automaker, Subaru, has sold more cars in the U.S. this year than last.

Did most of that gain came from one model, the '09 Forester?
  • prndldriverprndldriver Member Posts: 21
    Forester sales in October were 28% more this year than last year.
    Check out Subaru's report/press release at http://www.subaru.com/common/news/article_details.jsp?cat=current&fileName=news2- 008.xml&date=20081103

Here's a similar report from the Lafayette, Indiana, newspaper (where Subaru has a plant)
    http://www.jconline.com/article/20081103/NEWS09/81103035/-1/ARCHIVE
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The 60% down for the Tribeca makes me wonder if anything other than its 3.6 liter engine will continue very long. Even the engine might be in question: The assembly procedures for it (the engine) may be too costly.

I wouldn't mind having that engine in my Outback 3.0R. :)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My guess is that Forester gains are coming at the expense of the Outback. If you compare their numbers from 2007 and 2008 (year-to-date sales) they've flip-flopped almost exactly, in favor of the Forester.

Bob
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Has anyone bought the side molding kit and installed it themselves? Does it involve drilling?
  • dsmrnodsmrno Member Posts: 5
    I bought the kit ... installation was a breeze. It includes paper templates so getting the location right is easy. No drilling, just stick on. They include the alcohol wipes to ensure they adhere well. They look great on our grey XT Limited and give me some peace of mind against door dings ...
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I hated my 2003 Forester (I think it was a 2003, it's not something to remember), especially when I slid across Montvale Ave in Woburn from a side st. Very bad abs system.

Better is a 2005 Ford Escape

Better is a 2007 Santa Fe

Better is a 2008 CRV